Welcome Guest
You last visited December 9, 2016, 10:18 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

How Many Tickets Per Drawing DO You Buy

Topic closed. 30 replies. Last post 10 years ago by pigsNtrees.

Page 2 of 3
PrintE-mailLink

How Many Tickets Per Drawing for Powerball or Megamillions Do you Buy ?

1-10 [ 63 ]  [81.82%]
10-25 [ 9 ]  [11.69%]
25-50 [ 2 ]  [2.60%]
50-75 [ 0 ]  [0.00%]
75-100 [ 0 ]  [0.00%]
100-200 [ 0 ]  [0.00%]
200-300 [ 0 ]  [0.00%]
300-500 [ 0 ]  [0.00%]
500-1000 [ 0 ]  [0.00%]
Over 1000+ [ 3 ]  [3.90%]
Total Valid Votes [ 77 ]  
Discarded Votes [ 5 ]  
Tnplayer805's avatar - G 14_v78828750_Small.JPG
North Dakota
United States
Member #13397
April 5, 2005
1623 Posts
Posted: January 20, 2007, 3:18 pm - IP Logged

I usually buy 5 when I'm home.  If the Jackpot is +$100 million I'll buy more depending on how well I do on scratch offs.

How are you going to win if you don't play?

justxploring's avatar - villiarna
    Wandering Aimlessly
    United States
    Member #25360
    November 5, 2005
    4461 Posts
    Posted: January 20, 2007, 3:26 pm - IP Logged

I'm with the majority.  I always play my 4 Florida Lotto cards Wed and Sat for a total of $8.  Even if I were in a coma, I'd find a way.  I really shouldn't, but occasionally I'll get a QP or 2, but $10 or $12 is my maximum for the week.     

xmsr3 wrote: "By purchasing 1 ticket you give yourself an effective chance of just better than 0. By purchasing 10,100,l or 1000 tickets your chances are still effectivly 0, but now your spending real money " 

We've had this discussion numerous times. I agree that if I purchase 100 tickets, I'm only spending more money that I can't afford on a nearly impossible dream.  So what you wrote makes sense in a practical way, but your odds still increase every time you purchase another ticket.  I bet there are many jackpot winners who bought a few tickets and then went back to the store the next day and said "Oh, maybe I'll buy just 5 more tickets and get lucky!"

Guru101's avatar - rw6jhh
      Indiana
      United States
      Member #48725
      January 7, 2007
      1954 Posts
      Posted: January 20, 2007, 3:36 pm - IP Logged

I play $5 per PowerBall drawing.

justxploring's avatar - villiarna
        Wandering Aimlessly
        United States
        Member #25360
        November 5, 2005
        4461 Posts
        Posted: January 20, 2007, 3:43 pm - IP Logged

Note:  I only posted an answer because the poll specified any 6 number game.  I do not buy PB or MM tickets.  (1) they aren't sold in FL and (2) I figure if I haven't won any state jackpot in 30 years, my chances of hitting a multi-state game aren't any better.

United States
          Member #9579
          December 12, 2004
          2121 Posts
          Posted: January 20, 2007, 4:28 pm - IP Logged

i see,after getting the one in 147 million 5 outa 55,you still have to get the 1 correct pb,outa 42!

180 million about now,hard to believe all those tics and not one winner.guess that means that for the duration,lottery had to screen numbers for those no one had.

dumars798's avatar - batman17
            Atlanta
            United States
            Member #28656
            December 20, 2005
            5675 Posts
            Posted: January 21, 2007, 2:46 am - IP Logged

i see,after getting the one in 147 million 5 outa 55,you still have to get the 1 correct pb,outa 42!

180 million about now,hard to believe all those tics and not one winner.guess that means that for the duration,lottery had to screen numbers for those no one had.

I Agree!

Smart bets...... Equal Phat Pocket$!

United States
              Member #9579
              December 12, 2004
              2121 Posts
              Posted: January 21, 2007, 11:11 am - IP Logged

be interesting to see if it goes out west,mid west and to those who buy 1000 and up tickets,maybe qp's.must be groups.

Roslindale, MA
                United States
                Member #5377
                July 1, 2004
                135 Posts
                Posted: January 21, 2007, 11:34 am - IP Logged

If I play (i.e. the pot's big enough), 5 plays.

NY
                  United States
                  Member #23835
                  October 16, 2005
                  3474 Posts
                  Posted: January 22, 2007, 12:58 am - IP Logged

I only buy 1 ticket at a time, here's why.

If you buy 0 tickets your chances are 0.

If you buy 1 ticket they are about 1 in 147 million.  Infinetly better than 0, and it only cost $1. Thus the marginal probability benefit is infinite.

If you buy 2 tickets, your chances double, but are still about 1 in 75 million, still effectivly 0, but now my marginal probability benefit is 75million to 1 at a cost of $1.

Each ticket you buy gives a smaller  marginal probability benefit, and at no point can you buy enough tickets to give yourself a good chance of winning.

Even 1.47 million tickets gives you slightly better than 1% chance, which is just slightly less than 3 times worse odds than betting $1.47 million on roulette number 7. (such a bet is not allowed but you get the point.)

Since no one would ever bet $4.4 million on one number on the roulette wheel, logic dictates that such a bet on PB is equally stupid.

By purchasing 1 ticket you give yourself an effective chance of just better than 0.

By purchasing 10,100,l or 1000 tickets your chances are still effectivly 0, but now your spending real money on nothing more than a chance to dream of what you will do with the money.

This is also why I only play of the jackpot is over $100  million.

If the almost impossible happens I want enough cash to be able to make my entire family's dreams come true. $33 million will allow this, $5 million won't,(cash option, after taxes is about 1/3 of the jackpot).

It also gurantees that I only purchase a small number of tickets each year. After all there are 2 drawings/week and 52 weeks a year. Thus I would spend $104/year which is real money.

$1 is not a great sacrifice since it can only buy 2 candy bars. $104 can buy 2 nights in Vegas.(If you know how to work the system, car rental, hotel, transportation, entertainment and food can all be had for $100 assuming a family member works for an airline and you fly for free.)

Any thoughts?

"If you buy 0 tickets your chances are 0.

If you buy 1 ticket they are about 1 in 147 million.  Infinetly better than 0"

I can appreciate that thinking, but considering how steep the odds are, maybe you should look at it like this.  If you don't buy any tickets any of 145 million combinations could be drawn and you won't win. If you buy 1 ticket any of 144,999,999 combinations could be drawn and you won't win.  Your chance of losing with 0 tickets is only slightly worse than your chance of losing with 1 ticket.

"By purchasing 10,100,l or 1000 tickets your chances are still effectivly 0, but now your spending real money on nothing more than a chance to dream of what you will do with the money."

Yup. Whether you spend $1 or $1000, you're buying the same dream. Why spend $100 on something you can buy for $1?

Guru101's avatar - rw6jhh
                    Indiana
                    United States
                    Member #48725
                    January 7, 2007
                    1954 Posts
                    Posted: January 23, 2007, 11:07 pm - IP Logged

No. That's incorrect. 5/5 White Balls and the PowerBall is 1/146,107,962.

starchild_45's avatar - spherewall2
                      kent, washington
                      United States
                      Member #3509
                      January 26, 2004
                      465 Posts
                      Posted: January 24, 2007, 12:12 am - IP Logged

Note:  I only posted an answer because the poll specified any 6 number game.  I do not buy PB or MM tickets.  (1) they aren't sold in FL and (2) I figure if I haven't won any state jackpot in 30 years, my chances of hitting a multi-state game aren't any better.

that is ok we still like you. Lurking

United States
                        Member #9579
                        December 12, 2004
                        2121 Posts
                        Posted: January 24, 2007, 10:55 am - IP Logged

ok,that's making it sound much easier for all of us to share in winning.thanks.

hypersoniq's avatar - 8ball
                          Pennsylvania
                          United States
                          Member #1340
                          April 6, 2003
                          2450 Posts
                          Posted: February 2, 2007, 8:30 pm - IP Logged

there are actually 17 billion combos for the powerball, many of which contain the same numbers, which is why they choose to reduce the posted odds.

In a draw order "system" you are up against all 17,000,000,000

Looking at things in this way keeps me only buying ONE ticket per draw these days.

MM has 21 billion combos... though not all are unique (just like PB)

Playing more than one ticket per game is betting against yourself.

psykomo's avatar - animal shark.jpg

United States
                            Member #4877
                            May 30, 2004
                            5123 Posts
                            Posted: February 2, 2007, 8:47 pm - IP Logged

Voted...........10-25............play when it get's HIGH.......of course!!!

Have.............not played....MM....since the TEXAS QP took $100.00

of my MONEY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

No Pity!$$$$$$$$  CONGRAT$  TEXAS man.........&&&&&& ENJOY!!

ThudGOING........BACK.........to PICK-FIVE for a WHILE???????

GOOD LUCK...............................to  ALL.....who play JACKPOT!!!!!!

United States
                              Member #10720
                              January 23, 2005
                              933 Posts
                              Posted: February 23, 2007, 11:26 pm - IP Logged

Recently in a store in PA I saw the clerk entering what must have been $1000 all from a huge stack of betslips. I thought maybe it was for an "online play" service based in nj. Most of the big winners seem to have got $5 or $10 in QP. Those that picked their numbers used only ONE ticket. There's only going to be one winning set of numbers. When I win it's usually with my "primaries", the top 1 to 3 picks.