Welcome Guest
You last visited December 4, 2016, 5:20 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Rate My "throwing everything at it" strategy

Topic closed. 22 replies. Last post 10 years ago by for99c.

Page 1 of 2
PrintE-mailLink

United States
Member #48410
December 26, 2006
7 Posts
Posted: December 26, 2006, 1:01 am - IP Logged

buying  5 or 10 tickets every wednesday /saturday which I have been doing for months...makes me feel like  I didn't win because I didn't put enough money.

I kinda want to speed up my chances with the lottery to know if I am lucky or not sooner rather than later, by buying everything now instead of waiting weekly with these 5 or 10 dollar tickets.

So I have a plan,

So in other words, instead of waisting my money on cars/parties , what if I spend 500 dollars per drawing every wednesday and saturday and give it like 3-4 months...about 20K ) throw all my money at it.

if I dont' win in a few months, yes I would have lost  alot of money

but on the other hand,

you can be somewhat certian after putting in that much money , you can forget about winning the lottery and lose that hope and move on to more important things ...and since I won't be buying any more tickets the monies will even out over a lifetime

what do you think , good idea or bad idea ? Am I gambling addict ?

ayenowitall's avatar - rod serling4.jpg

United States
    Member #4416
    April 22, 2004
    1075 Posts
    Posted: December 26, 2006, 1:15 am - IP Logged

I really don't think that you can buy good luck. And not every game is worth throwing that much money at for one drawing.

On the other hand, if you just want to hit it or quit it, I see nothing wrong with your approach if you can actually afford to bet that much.

On yet another hand, if you're a gambling addict, you're kidding yourself to think that you'll quit after betting and losing that much or even after winning.

Good luck to you.

United States
      Member #48410
      December 26, 2006
      7 Posts
      Posted: December 26, 2006, 1:18 am - IP Logged

thanks ....yea you can't buy luck, ....but you can certainly increase your chances :)

alternatively I was thinking of something like this

in stead of buying tickets 5 or 10 dollar tickets every wed/thursday

why not just wait until the powerball / megamillions is really big like
      over 100 million and use the collective funds from all the times you didn't buy
      when it was small and just buy once for that one drawing !

ayenowitall's avatar - rod serling4.jpg

United States
        Member #4416
        April 22, 2004
        1075 Posts
        Posted: December 26, 2006, 1:26 am - IP Logged

Not a bad idea. I've considered the same strategy myself. Some people prefer the thrill of playing the game for each drawing, but if you can be happy with taking one big ole shot at it, then go for it. There are no guarantees either way, but you could probably at least cover all the 1/42 or 1/46 numbers. Or you might just prefer to go with QPs.

Badger's avatar - adu50016 NorthAmericanBadger.jpg
          Wisconsin
          United States
          Member #1303
          March 27, 2003
          1508 Posts
          Posted: December 26, 2006, 8:04 am - IP Logged

$500/drawing isn't enough to make much difference at all in the odds against you winning the jackpot.

Powerball, for instance, is (as I remember) a game where the odds in hitting the jackpot are something like 142 million to one. That means there are 142 million different combinations with the PB that exist. To cover them all you would have to spend $142 million on the game. And that doesn't mean someone else wouldn't buy a quickpick that same day that also hit the jackpot. LOL !

Each line (combination) stands on its own as to its chance of being drawn. That's 1 chance in 142 million.

It's always possible that $500 could get you enough smaller tier prizes that it would cover it, but its also equally as possible that it won't.

It's your money and your choice.  But if I had $20,000 I could afford to throw away, I'd find other uses for it.

============

How can you tell if a politician is lying?

Answer: His lips are moving.

LottoHackJack's avatar - leaf
            Leamington, Ontario
            Canada
            Member #2995
            December 11, 2003
            59 Posts
            Posted: December 26, 2006, 8:45 am - IP Logged

buying  5 or 10 tickets every wednesday /saturday which I have been doing for months...makes me feel like  I didn't win because I didn't put enough money.

I kinda want to speed up my chances with the lottery to know if I am lucky or not sooner rather than later, by buying everything now instead of waiting weekly with these 5 or 10 dollar tickets.

So I have a plan,

So in other words, instead of waisting my money on cars/parties , what if I spend 500 dollars per drawing every wednesday and saturday and give it like 3-4 months...about 20K ) throw all my money at it.

but on the other hand,

you can be somewhat certian after putting in that much money , you can forget about winning the lottery and lose that hope and move on to more important things ...and since I won't be buying any more tickets the monies will even out over a lifetime

What da???

Keep doing the parties and fun thing with your money, unless you need it to live on in a serious, responsible fashion. At least you will be able to look back and say that you have lived and had fun at it. Living poorly and irresponsibly only for that big win is not a noble cause anyways. It should just be an anecdotal sideline for the " just-in-case " files of anyone's life.

Can you imagine how screwed up your life will instantly become with a large rush of cash that you've never had experience in handling before? Your life will blurr by you so fast that you never knew so many calamities existed in one lifetime...ask all the movie actors. They've acted out so many different characters that they lost sight of which was their own! They can afford to do the dumb things that get them trapped. To correct all of their ills...They overdose...What a worthy goal!

LottoHackJack

Coin Toss's avatar - shape barbed.jpg
              Zeta Reticuli Star System
              United States
              Member #30470
              January 17, 2006
              10347 Posts
              Posted: December 26, 2006, 9:27 am - IP Logged

Marleyone
              "So in other words, instead of waisting my money on cars/parties , what if I spend 500 dollars per drawing every wednesday and saturday and give it like 3-4 months...about 20K ) throw all my money at it."

Then you'll be "stuck" the $20,000 in months and not over the course of some years. And when the $20,000 is gone in months you'll just know you should keep going, and then instead of skipping parties to keep playing you'll be skipping necessities to keep playing. 

Those who run the lotteries love it when players look for consistency in something that's designed not to have any.

Lep

There is one and only one 'proven' system, and that is to book the action. No matter the game, let the players pick their own losers.

JAP69's avatar - alas
                South Carolina
                United States
                Member #6
                November 4, 2001
                8790 Posts
                Posted: December 26, 2006, 9:45 am - IP Logged

what do you think , good idea or bad idea ? Thumbs Down

Am I gambling addict ? I Agree!

you already beat the odds of not having money.

WHATT

silky's avatar - nw gingblade.jpg

United States
                  Member #30181
                  January 13, 2006
                  298 Posts
                  Posted: December 26, 2006, 9:45 am - IP Logged

I did watch 2 young men do 1,500 2 times a week on the mega for a month and the most they won with all them tickets were 65.00 they did get Q p .... some weeks not even that. hey if you have it and you don't mine throwing it away, than do it . but if it's meant for you , you will get it with 5.00  it has to be meant for you to have. Good Luck  on what ever you do. but If you have that kind of money to throw it away, you don't need the lottery. You already have enough money. Peace be with you.

We have mulliplied our possessions, but reduced our values. We talk too much, Love too seldom, and hate too Often.

kymkam's avatar - stewie tanned.jpg
                    detroit, michigan
                    United States
                    Member #46129
                    September 4, 2006
                    735 Posts
                    Posted: December 26, 2006, 9:47 am - IP Logged

Get out of here !!!!  Tell you what I will play the lottery for you.........send me your picks along with the money (bout 700 every drawing) I got you BOO!!!!  You should win !! I want a Caddy too!!!  On the real what makes you think if you spend 100's you will win?  Usually jackpot winners only play 1 easypic.  Save that loot

Be who you are and say what you feel cause those who mind dont matter; And those who matter dont mind !

Any town, USA
                      United States
                      Member #46729
                      September 25, 2006
                      112 Posts
                      Posted: December 26, 2006, 10:17 am - IP Logged

So I have a plan,

but on the other hand,

I thought the same thing about three months ago.  Instead I was spending $2-$3 every Tuesday/Friday on the Megamillions.  I told one of the my friend's that it doesn't make since to play if I'm not wanting to put more money into.  Such as spending $ 20-$40 per game. 

With my crappy bonus that I received last Thursday, I bought $45 worth of Powerball & $45 worth of Mega.  I only had about 5 lines with two numbers on the Powerball tickets meaning that I won nothing.  As for the Mega, I won $4. 

My suggestion to you is to keep playing the $ 5- $10 per game.  I won more playing with less money.  I know that you want to hit the numbers, but I belive it's luck. 

If it was meant for you to hit the Jackpot, I believe you can do it with $5.

fja's avatar - gnome1

United States
                        Member #91
                        January 19, 2002
                        11927 Posts
                        Posted: December 26, 2006, 11:50 am - IP Logged

So I have a plan,

but on the other hand,

It takes about $1.45 million to buy a 1% chance of winning and a 99% chance of losing per draw...

$500 per draw will keep you busy checking numbers and buying tickets.....

But then you could win it all too......But at those odds,  guess what I would lay my money on...

Good Luck!!!

"Everybody has to believe in something...I believe I'll have another beer!"   = W.C.Fields                      

Sunny California
                          United States
                          Member #40295
                          May 31, 2006
                          7712 Posts
                          Posted: December 26, 2006, 3:16 pm - IP Logged

Sorry but I'll have to rate this "strategy" a big fat zero. Save that money (20,000) into a high yielding CD at the bank and win your own lottery!

Surge's avatar - Lottery-063.jpg
                            Ohio
                            United States
                            Member #46493
                            September 11, 2006
                            4173 Posts
                            Posted: December 26, 2006, 3:22 pm - IP Logged

If you have that kind of money to throw around, why are you playing in the first place?  Spending that kind of money on lottery tickets is just ludicrous in my opinion.  You could put that 500 into your 401K, and like LL said, it would yield much higher results.

Keep it simple 

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
                              mid-Ohio
                              United States
                              Member #9
                              March 24, 2001
                              19821 Posts
                              Posted: December 26, 2006, 3:44 pm - IP Logged

marleyone,

Your idea of throwing that much money at the MegaMillion drawings every month is the same as the amount spent every month by a town of 25-30,000 people.  Many of those towns have never had a  MM winner, what make you think if you spent the same amount of money you would do any better?

RJOh

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning ticket * 

Evil Looking