Welcome Guest
You last visited December 7, 2016, 10:55 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Does your lottery listen to players?

Topic closed. 13 replies. Last post 10 years ago by CASH Only.

Page 1 of 1
PrintE-mailLink

Does your lottery listen to its customers?

Yes [ 10 ]  [38.46%]
No [ 9 ]  [34.62%]
Maybe [ 4 ]  [15.38%]
Can't guess [ 3 ]  [11.54%]
Total Valid Votes [ 26 ]  
Discarded Votes [ 3 ]  

United States
Member #379
June 5, 2002
11296 Posts
Posted: December 26, 2006, 10:02 am - IP Logged

As you all know I like to complain about certain lottery practices, especially in my home state. I am not trying to upset other LP members, but, giving something for them to think about before buying tickets.

I don't think my lottery listens to me or any of its customers, or at least it doesn't seem so in recent years. It doesn't do surveys, or hold periodic meetings around the state. It also doesn't seem to lobby for changes that would make it more competitive with other states (our longtime regular lotto game has the lowest payout in the nation, if not the world.) And, of course, my lottery caves in to the interests of annuity companies (scratch games with no cash option) rather than the people who play the games.

You might suggest I move to another state, whose lottery is more player-friendly. However, I don't believe somebody should move simply because another state's lottery is better.

Coin Toss's avatar - shape barbed.jpg
    Zeta Reticuli Star System
    United States
    Member #30470
    January 17, 2006
    10351 Posts
    Posted: December 26, 2006, 10:30 am - IP Logged

CASH Only

The only thing a lottery is going to "listen to" is ticket sales.

As long as there are enough people willing to play it, everything else is secondary.  

Moving to another state because of a lottery wouls indeed be ridiculous, nothing says that state's lottery wouldn' change. 

Those who run the lotteries love it when players look for consistency in something that's designed not to have any.

Lep

There is one and only one 'proven' system, and that is to book the action. No matter the game, let the players pick their own losers.

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
      mid-Ohio
      United States
      Member #9
      March 24, 2001
      19828 Posts
      Posted: December 26, 2006, 1:25 pm - IP Logged

You not a customer unless you're buying tickets.  If you're buying tickets for a game you don't like than you'll probably buy tickets for any game and what you think doesn't really matter.

Many Ohio lottery players said they didn't like Lot'O Play and they didn't buy tickets so next month the game will be replaced by an updated version of the old 649 game which was very popular in years past.  Ohio listen to its players through surveys it takes but ticket sales also effected its decisions.

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning ticket * 

Evil Looking       

California
        United States
        Member #46824
        October 1, 2006
        270 Posts
        Posted: December 26, 2006, 1:53 pm - IP Logged

I think the lottery listens to players in a few different ways. 

First they look at sales.  If a game is not performing (i.e. generating sales/profits for the lottery as expected) that is a indicator that something might need to be done. 

Another way they listen through customer feedback.  By this I mean the input submitted to the lottery from the people who play (or don't play) their games.  Maybe they even monitor sites like Lottery Post to get a feel for what is happening in the customer's minds.

If these two methods show a weakness in a game, the lottery may go out and conduct research to found out what is happening for a given game or two.  They would talk to a wide range of people; players, non-players, former players, retailers, etc.  The information gathered would give the lottery a feel of why someting is happening to a particular game.

The lottery, while run by a state agency, is first and foremost a business.  Any smart business listens to their customers in a number of ways.  That is how thay can generate more sales and therefore make more money.

konane's avatar - wallace
          Atlanta, GA
          United States
          Member #1265
          March 13, 2003
          3333 Posts
          Posted: December 26, 2006, 1:58 pm - IP Logged

Yes, the Georgia Lottery had changed dramatically for the better under the direction of Ms. DeFrancisco.  We have lots of games with second chance drawings, promotions which give back to players which were all but non-existent previously.

Yes, Ms. DeFrancisco does seem to listen to what players (or focus groups) want which is awesome!!    Big Grin Santa 

Good luck to everyone!

four4me's avatar - gate1
            MD
            United States
            Member #1701
            June 18, 2003
            8362 Posts
            Posted: December 26, 2006, 2:02 pm - IP Logged

As you all know I like to complain about certain lottery practices, especially in my home state. I am not trying to upset other LP members, but, giving something for them to think about before buying tickets.

I don't think my lottery listens to me or any of its customers, or at least it doesn't seem so in recent years. It doesn't do surveys, or hold periodic meetings around the state. It also doesn't seem to lobby for changes that would make it more competitive with other states (our longtime regular lotto game has the lowest payout in the nation, if not the world.) And, of course, my lottery caves in to the interests of annuity companies (scratch games with no cash option) rather than the people who play the games.

You might suggest I move to another state, whose lottery is more player-friendly. However, I don't believe somebody should move simply because another state's lottery is better.

when was the last time you personally talked to a lottery rep.

do you think your one voice really matters.

what do you care how they conduct their affairs. loosers always complain the winners are probably thrilled they won.

if your so inclined get a job there and try and see how long you last putting down their practices

Big John says. You don't hit the number. The number hits you!!!!

I'm not Big John, I'm Four4me, Big John's a friend.
              Bryan's avatar - Lottery-002.jpg
              Mid-Missouri
              United States
              Member #644
              August 31, 2002
              4271 Posts
              Posted: December 26, 2006, 3:17 pm - IP Logged

Are you kidding? MO does whatever they please whenever they feel like it. When we went to computer drawn picks they never even informed the players at all. I heard it on the news 2 days before it happen and MO didn't even put it on their website until the day it changed or the day after the change, I can't recall. They did the exact same thing when they changed the matrix on the Showme5. No warning at all. They don't tell us about any changes ahead of time so they don't have to listen to the whining I guess, and they sure as hell don't ask us anything about changes we would like to see. They do what they want, when they want, and if we don't like it we can quit playing, which is what I did right after they went computerized. I play online only, when I play at all. MO will never get another volunteered dollar from me for as long as I see fit, which may be as long as I live...

Bryan  :)

United States
                Member #379
                June 5, 2002
                11296 Posts
                Posted: December 26, 2006, 4:25 pm - IP Logged

Yes, the Georgia Lottery had changed dramatically for the better under the direction of Ms. DeFrancisco.  We have lots of games with second chance drawings, promotions which give back to players which were all but non-existent previously.

Yes, Ms. DeFrancisco does seem to listen to what players (or focus groups) want which is awesome!!    Big Grin Santa 

Ms DeFrancisco used to run my lottery. I actually met her in 1999 at a store that sold a winning jackpot ticket. I was delivering NY Lottery New$ at the time.

In my case, the lottery may "listen" when it comes to declining sales, but not to player suggestions. As far as GA is concerned, maybe it listens to its players more than NY does, but they ignored those who wanted a cash option in the game that replaced Lotto South.

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
                  mid-Ohio
                  United States
                  Member #9
                  March 24, 2001
                  19828 Posts
                  Posted: December 26, 2006, 4:35 pm - IP Logged

CASH Only writes "Ms DeFrancisco used to run my lottery."

CASH Only, you should run your lottery your way and stop letting New York run your lottery their way.

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning ticket * 

Evil Looking       

konane's avatar - wallace
                    Atlanta, GA
                    United States
                    Member #1265
                    March 13, 2003
                    3333 Posts
                    Posted: December 26, 2006, 4:35 pm - IP Logged

My understanding is the Georgia Lottery corporation is structured differently than the NY lottery, in that Ga is almost a stand alone corporation which allows more flexibility in decision making.  That may be the core difference between your state and mine, and what each can offer.  Our lottery seems more player friendly since she took over, also I'm getting back answers to questions I've emailed unlike before. 

Personally I don't like the format nor low annuity payout of Win For Life so simply don't play it.

Good luck to everyone!

United States
                      Member #379
                      June 5, 2002
                      11296 Posts
                      Posted: December 26, 2006, 4:44 pm - IP Logged

My understanding is the Georgia Lottery corporation is structured differently than the NY lottery, in that Ga is almost a stand alone corporation which allows more flexibility in decision making.  That may be the core difference between your state and mine, and what each can offer.  Our lottery seems more player friendly since she took over, also I'm getting back answers to questions I've emailed unlike before. 

Personally I don't like the format nor low annuity payout of Win For Life so simply don't play it.

Personally, I consider the end of Lotto South the biggest lottery blunder of 1996. Just imagine if LS had added South Carolina. We'll never know.

four4me's avatar - gate1
                        MD
                        United States
                        Member #1701
                        June 18, 2003
                        8362 Posts
                        Posted: December 26, 2006, 4:48 pm - IP Logged

personally i think all lottery's have some kind of customer based feedback where they go out and talk to groups of people. some lottery's have VIP clubs and such. many lottery's depend on peoples feed back in order to better serve their customers. i also think lottery's are set up and have rules and guide lines by which they conduct their business that have to be voted on in order for them to implement certain game structures.

the fact they don't listen isn't true. The fact that they field more complaints than praise is true. I have had lottery reps tell me they have non stop calls from people complaining about how come there numbers didn't win and when are they going to draw their numbers. All people care about where the lottery is concerned is themselves winning money. They could care less how the games are structured. Sure everybody would like a game where they could win more and often who wouldn't. but the fact that they don't care isn't true. because without the players they have no monopoly.

United States
                          Member #2460
                          October 7, 2003
                          766 Posts
                          Posted: December 28, 2006, 3:20 am - IP Logged

Somebody appears to have read my emails or at least a portion of each of my emails and sent replies.

But they don't seem to care what you say to them, they do only as they themselves want to, at least here on Tx.

People keep on buying lottery  tickets, so the state does not have to listen to lottery players, not at all. 

EXCALIBUR is no more that "Handle" is dead, gone.
                          Maybe sometime in the future I might come back as LANTERN again, but maybe not, if I don't come back as LANTERN in the future then I won't come back at all, but as I said there is no more EXCALIBUR.

United States
                            Member #379
                            June 5, 2002
                            11296 Posts
                            Posted: December 28, 2006, 9:46 am - IP Logged

Personally, I consider the end of Lotto South the biggest lottery blunder of 1996. Just imagine if LS had added South Carolina. We'll never know.

Of course, I meant 2006. I'm sure at some point next year I'll be writing 2006 instead of 2007.

As far as the best in US lottery news in 2006, it's between Pennsylvania announcing the end of Lucky for Life (to be replaced in January) and the never-ending Hot Lotto jackpot (now over $18m).