Welcome Guest
You last visited December 5, 2016, 11:30 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Do you play an out-of-state lottery?

Topic closed. 15 replies. Last post 10 years ago by goldrush.

Page 1 of 2
PrintE-mailLink

Australia
Member #17096
June 11, 2005
225 Posts
Posted: December 30, 2006, 1:44 am - IP Logged

If so, which one and why?

Laurel, MD
    United States
    Member #48488
    December 29, 2006
    22 Posts
    Posted: December 30, 2006, 9:29 am - IP Logged

I live in Maryland, drive through DC and work in VA.  I do play VA and DC once in a while, usually for Powerball in DC and scratchoffs in VA.  I prefer MD and play here the vast majority of the time.

United States
      Member #379
      June 5, 2002
      11296 Posts
      Posted: December 30, 2006, 9:37 am - IP Logged

I live in NY and much prefer Connecticut for traditional games (Classic Lotto and Powerball.) I like NY only for Mega Millions and video lottery. If you're a lottery player who lives in NY, you should still seriously consider out-of-state games.

TheTruth's avatar - Lottery-063.jpg
        Detroit, MI
        United States
        Member #43946
        July 27, 2006
        365 Posts
        Posted: December 30, 2006, 11:49 am - IP Logged

I live in MI, but always simultaneously play Ohio as well, they are very similar in the way the numbers are drawn for some reason.

"The happiest moment of your life will be the moment it ends...thats because it doesn't end but goes on in ways so magnificent, so full of peace - wisdom - and joy, as to make it difficult to describe  and impossible for you to comprehend"

God

stavros's avatar - avatar 6898.gif
          Florida
          United States
          Member #6147
          August 8, 2004
          1396 Posts
          Posted: December 30, 2006, 11:54 am - IP Logged

I play online.  Florida, Illinois, Georgia, New York and New Jersey usually.  They seem a bit more "predicatble," if that's possible.

Good Luck!

Stavros

Coin Toss's avatar - shape barbed.jpg
            Zeta Reticuli Star System
            United States
            Member #30470
            January 17, 2006
            10348 Posts
            Posted: December 30, 2006, 6:21 pm - IP Logged

We live in Illinois, if we're in Missouri we'll play Powerball, but we don't go there just to play it.

Those who run the lotteries love it when players look for consistency in something that's designed not to have any.

Lep

There is one and only one 'proven' system, and that is to book the action. No matter the game, let the players pick their own losers.

Delaware
              United States
              Member #30273
              January 14, 2006
              494 Posts
              Posted: January 2, 2007, 12:25 pm - IP Logged

I live in Delaware and live very close to the borders of Maryland, New Jersey, and Pennsylvania. I usually play Keno and Mega Millions in MD, Cash 5 and Lucky for Life in PA, and less frequently Cash 5 and sometimes Mega Millions in NJ. I exclusively and only play Powerball in DE. Occasionally I will play the other games in those states as well except for the computerized ones. I will buy scratch-offs in all of the states, but my favorites are in NJ. NJ seems to have the best odds of winning a large scratch-off prize, given the size of the state and the amounts of the prizes.

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
                mid-Ohio
                United States
                Member #9
                March 24, 2001
                19824 Posts
                Posted: January 2, 2007, 12:58 pm - IP Logged

I've traveled to Indiana to play PowerBall when its jackpot was $180M+ and the local MegaMillions' was less than $50M and the weather was nice for traveling.  It's four lanes all the way and I enjoy the drive, buying lottery tickets is an added bonus. 

I use to enjoy the drive to Michigan to get BigGame tickets when its jackpot was $80M+ and before it changed to MegaMillions to include Ohio, now I just drive to Michigan to visit relatives but I still enjoy the drive.

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning ticket * 

Evil Looking       

United States
                  Member #1826
                  July 11, 2003
                  2645 Posts
                  Posted: January 2, 2007, 9:09 pm - IP Logged

Going to other states to play their lotteries is one of my favorite things to do, although I don't do it as often as I'd like.

(insert signature here)

Delaware
                    United States
                    Member #30273
                    January 14, 2006
                    494 Posts
                    Posted: January 2, 2007, 10:46 pm - IP Logged

Going to other states to play their lotteries is one of my favorite things to do, although I don't do it as often as I'd like.

Since you are in the Stroudsburg corridor, here's a suggestion for you on where to go to get NY and NJ and in fell swoop. You might be familiar with it but I'll post it for the good of anyone traveling I-84 across the PA-NY line.

If you follow Route 209 (I-84 PA Exit 53 / Matamoras) north across the bridge into New York (no toll), go under the railroad bridge and make the sharp right, then turn left. Down the street on the right side you will find a place called the Erie Hotel. They sell NY Lottery in there including QuickDraw. The food can be pricey, but it is great food, great atmosphere in a historical building.

Then, when you leave, keep driving in the same direction to the end of the road and make a right at the light. This will bring you back to I-84 (at NY Exit 1 for Port Jervis and Sussex NJ). Turn right towards Sussex, and in about 10 seconds, you will cross the border into NJ. The second gas station on the left sells NJ Lottery tickets, and while you are at it, take advantage of cheap full service gas. I believe the ShopRite supermarket also sells NJ tickets. None of the other gas stations do.

When you leave there, you can easily get back on I-84. To get back to Route 209, use I-84 west towards Scranton to cross the river (no toll on that bridge, all are tolled south of there). The Matamoras PA exit also offers several PA lottery ticket places.

New York, NY
                      United States
                      Member #13514
                      April 7, 2005
                      235 Posts
                      Posted: January 3, 2007, 1:47 pm - IP Logged

I play powerball every now and again.  I drive to South Carolina when the jackpot is pretty high and try my hand.  Just to see if I can win.  When I'm in NY I go to CT and play it there if the jackpot happens to be high enough.  

When I'm in VA I play their local games. 

amsoly41's avatar - ron paul_gold_standard.jpg
                        Tennessee
                        United States
                        Member #24912
                        October 29, 2005
                        94 Posts
                        Posted: January 3, 2007, 2:11 pm - IP Logged

I go to KY, TN, VA and some times GA

Whenever the Jackpot is above 100MWink

United States
                          Member #379
                          June 5, 2002
                          11296 Posts
                          Posted: January 3, 2007, 2:24 pm - IP Logged

Later this month, because Pennsylvania Lucky for Life is ending, I will be driving to the NJ-NY-PA area to play New Jersey Pick-6 Lotto and Pennsylvania Match 6. I will also be playing video lottery in Monticello, NY.

KyMystikal's avatar - 1457224010054
                            Florence, Alabama
                            United States
                            Member #8658
                            November 13, 2004
                            1993 Posts
                            Posted: January 3, 2007, 3:48 pm - IP Logged

I play Ky and Tn. Online I play IL, GA, SC, and sometimes IN and NY

Australia
                              Member #17096
                              June 11, 2005
                              225 Posts
                              Posted: January 3, 2007, 11:31 pm - IP Logged

I play the UK National Lottery by subscription. You need a UK address to play the UK Lottery. I haven't won anything big yet, but I have won several small prizes, from 10, and 15 pounds and one for 65 pounds. I like the fact that I can pay by direst debit, you do need a UK bank account to do that, and any prizes are credited back to same bank account. It is a very professionally run operation.