Welcome Guest
You last visited December 4, 2016, 5:30 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Are QuickPicks a waste?

Topic closed. 41 replies. Last post 10 years ago by MillionsWanted.

Page 2 of 3
PrintE-mailLink

Are QuickPicks a waste?

Yes - [ 24 ]  [24.24%]
No - [ 68 ]  [68.69%]
don't know [ 7 ]  [7.07%]
Total Valid Votes [ 99 ]  
Discarded Votes [ 1 ]  
four4me's avatar - gate1
MD
United States
Member #1701
June 18, 2003
8360 Posts
Posted: January 7, 2007, 12:47 pm - IP Logged
well everyone has a different view on this so I'll add my two cents. quick picks win more often because more people buy quick picks. since the lottery balls have no idea what numbers you got or wether you bought a quick pick or picked your own numbers it all boils down to luck.
if you bought the quick pick with the winning numbers on it you'll be one of the many people who are then convinced that quick picks win. last year i had several qpicks that won 150.00  It just wasn't in the cards for me to win the jackpot.
    justxploring's avatar - villiarna
    Wandering Aimlessly
    United States
    Member #25360
    November 5, 2005
    4461 Posts
    Posted: January 7, 2007, 12:51 pm - IP Logged
    well everyone has a different view on this so I'll add my two cents. quick picks win more often because more people buy quick picks. since the lottery balls have no idea what numbers you got or wether you bought a quick pick or picked your own numbers it all boils down to luck.
    if you bought the quick pick with the winning numbers on it you'll be one of the many people who are then convinced that quick picks win. last year i had several qpicks that won 150.00  It just wasn't in the cards for me to win the jackpot.

I'm not sure what game you play or how much you spend, but I think $150 several times in one year is pretty good.  Don't give up yet!!

Coastal Georgia
      United States
      Member #2653
      October 30, 2003
      1866 Posts
      Posted: January 7, 2007, 12:56 pm - IP Logged

Ask the jackpot winners that chose quick picks if they think that QP's are a waste.
      I bet I know their answer.

four4me's avatar - gate1
        MD
        United States
        Member #1701
        June 18, 2003
        8360 Posts
        Posted: January 7, 2007, 1:02 pm - IP Logged

I'm not sure what game you play or how much you spend, but I think $150 several times in one year is pretty good.  Don't give up yet!!

Justxploring the game was mega million.

this year i will continue to buy quick picks along with my own picks. Good luck to all who play. someone from lottery post will win the pot.

NY
          United States
          Member #23835
          October 16, 2005
          3474 Posts
          Posted: January 8, 2007, 2:11 am - IP Logged

ALthough 70 % powerball winners are quickpicks, that last few drawings of QPs I ve noticed went like this:

* Repeats - numbers from the previous drawing come up again especially powerball.

* staggered - the five numbers are either all odd, even, higher or lower numbers

* No variety - It draws the same powerball two or three times again.

I guess , Are they giving us crappy numbers just to generate more lottery income?

looking at how "unlikely" my previous several  QPs have been, I am wondering are they a waste ?

I seem to do better by buying every powerball number and using lottery software such as lotto sorcer to pick the remaining 5 numbers. I get usually 1 number this way. With QP usually I get nothing.

Since 70% of jackpot winners are QP's, they clearly aren't a waste of money. At least not any more than all lottery tickets are a waste, in that you should expect to lose 50% of what you spend. 

As far as the types of combinations that win with QP's, nobody will ever win with a combination they don't pick. Since there are some combinations that most people won't play they're unlikely to be won by a ticket that isn't QP.  I'd guess that your "unlikely" QP's are a good example. You presumably wouldn't have picked those numbers, so if they were drawn your only hope of winning would be with a QP. A number of people here believe that the winning combination is more likely to be a mix of odd and even, so they won't choose all odd or all even combinations. I'd guess that's true for most people, so that's why we see those combinations being won by QP's. For the RNG that chooses QP's there's no such thing as  a "bad" combination.

So just what were your QP's that you thought were so unlikely? 

United States
            Member #1826
            July 11, 2003
            2645 Posts
            Posted: January 8, 2007, 2:37 am - IP Logged

They are not a waste. Statistically, they have just a good a chance as hand picked number. Plus, most of my winners have been quick picks.

(insert signature here)

CCHS13's avatar - chi jpeg.jpg
              Illinois
              United States
              Member #46704
              September 23, 2006
              3692 Posts
              Posted: January 8, 2007, 5:20 am - IP Logged

The closest that I have came to some real money has been with a quick pick

I prefer to pick my own numbers but I once got a 4 out of 5 in a 5/39 game

with a quick pick.  Picking my own numbers has gotten me 3 out of 5 more times

than quickpicks but the 4 out of 5 was a quickpick.  I say mix it up between

quickpicks and your own selections

Men Lie Women Lie Numbers Dont

Coin Toss's avatar - shape barbed.jpg
                Zeta Reticuli Star System
                United States
                Member #30470
                January 17, 2006
                10345 Posts
                Posted: January 8, 2007, 10:27 am - IP Logged

It's really ridiculous to kvetch about where winning numbers came from. If anything could provide me with a set of numbers that brought  $2,000,000 to $200,000,000 I don't think I'd whine and moan about not having picked them myself.   

To deny that quick picks win, or the most winners are quick picks, is about the equivalent of comparing major league baseball to tether ball.  

Anyone who would win millions and then say it would have been more of a thrill had they picked the numbers themselves instead of hitting on a quick pick has really got an ego problem.

Those who run the lotteries love it when players look for consistency in something that's designed not to have any.

Lep

There is one and only one 'proven' system, and that is to book the action. No matter the game, let the players pick their own losers.

United States
                  Member #47343
                  October 31, 2006
                  5 Posts
                  Posted: January 17, 2007, 5:00 pm - IP Logged

Quick Picks are a waste (Yes is my vote). If any of my tickets don't win anything, I use the back of the lotto ticket to write down the current winning numbers until the paper runs out.

Quick Picks are a waste

Not mines  ROFL    I Agree!

Rick G's avatar - avatar 1766.jpg
                    FEMA Region V Camp #21
                    United States
                    Member #520
                    July 27, 2002
                    5699 Posts
                    Posted: January 17, 2007, 5:15 pm - IP Logged

I voted "No".  Using past daily profit percentages of the Pick 3 and 4 games posted on the prediction  boards at LP, the profit percentages come very close to the profit percentages expected for that game using random numbers....50%

There is no apparent advantage on LP of playing either way.  

Posted 4/6:  IL Pick 3 midday and evening until they hit:  555, 347 (str8).

United States
                      Member #41656
                      June 20, 2006
                      24 Posts
                      Posted: January 20, 2007, 2:47 pm - IP Logged

.............I once stood behind a gentleman in a "Lotto Line" who had a stack of tickets in his hand as thick as a double deck of playing cards. Whether or not he hit is a question we may never know, but I'm sure that they were absolutely all QUICK PICKS!

justxploring's avatar - villiarna
                        Wandering Aimlessly
                        United States
                        Member #25360
                        November 5, 2005
                        4461 Posts
                        Posted: January 20, 2007, 3:08 pm - IP Logged

.............I once stood behind a gentleman in a "Lotto Line" who had a stack of tickets in his hand as thick as a double deck of playing cards. Whether or not he hit is a question we may never know, but I'm sure that they were absolutely all QUICK PICKS!

Which is one reason we see so many QPs winning!!  On the other hand, I stood next to a man in 7-11 once who was playing for a group.  He had 100 numbers or more.  Drove me nuts since there were lots of errors on the cards. Some had 7 marked, some had 5.  So the clerk (who was very patient) kept asking him "which number do you want to add?" and "which number do you want me to erase?" I don't know if he won any of the lower tier prizes, but he definitely didn't hit the lottery that week.  Maybe there should be a "self-serve" machine like they use at Walmart and Albertsons at the check out. You could just hit QP and choose the quantity. I was going to write that it would require a debit or credit card, but I just bought some stamps at the post office using coins yesterday and it saved me a 20 minute wait in line. 

United States
                          Member #30470
                          January 17, 2006
                          10345 Posts
                          Posted: January 21, 2007, 12:45 am - IP Logged

Justxploring,

With all the paranoia about fixed lotteries and terminals, I can't see there ever being any kind of self-serve affair.

That poor guy playing for the group, his experience is reason enough never to volunteer to be the "runner".  

Here everyone, from the Powerball website regarding quick picks:

WHICH HAS THE BETTER CHANCE OF WINNING: COMPUTER PICKS OR PLAYER PICKS?

About 70% to 80% of purchases are computer picks. About 70% to 80% of winners are computer picks. Perhaps just one of those weird coincidences?

http://www.powerball.com/pb_contact.asp 

Those who run the lotteries love it when players look for consistency in something that's designed not to have any.

Lep

There is one and only one 'proven' system, and that is to book the action. No matter the game, let the players pick their own losers.

California
                            United States
                            Member #46824
                            October 1, 2006
                            270 Posts
                            Posted: January 21, 2007, 11:20 am - IP Logged

Which is one reason we see so many QPs winning!!  On the other hand, I stood next to a man in 7-11 once who was playing for a group.  He had 100 numbers or more.  Drove me nuts since there were lots of errors on the cards. Some had 7 marked, some had 5.  So the clerk (who was very patient) kept asking him "which number do you want to add?" and "which number do you want me to erase?" I don't know if he won any of the lower tier prizes, but he definitely didn't hit the lottery that week.  Maybe there should be a "self-serve" machine like they use at Walmart and Albertsons at the check out. You could just hit QP and choose the quantity. I was going to write that it would require a debit or credit card, but I just bought some stamps at the post office using coins yesterday and it saved me a 20 minute wait in line. 

Justxploring....regarding your comment about self service machines, they exsist in California.  I have noticed the machines mostly in grocery stores.  They take cash and you can play pretty much every on line game.  Also the on line machine allows one to check their tickets and allows for both quick and self picks.  Usually right next  to this machine is a dispenser for scratcher games.   

United States
                              Member #30470
                              January 17, 2006
                              10345 Posts
                              Posted: January 21, 2007, 7:08 pm - IP Logged

CALotteryGuy

Not sure if I'd want to see them in Illinois or not, one the one hand it would be great but I know a few people who might really be in trouble if we get them!

Scared

Lep