Welcome Guest
You last visited December 2, 2016, 9:30 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Are QuickPicks a waste?

Topic closed. 41 replies. Last post 10 years ago by MillionsWanted.

Page 3 of 3
PrintE-mailLink

Are QuickPicks a waste?

Yes - [ 24 ]  [24.24%]
No - [ 68 ]  [68.69%]
don't know [ 7 ]  [7.07%]
Total Valid Votes [ 99 ]  
Discarded Votes [ 1 ]  
justxploring's avatar - villiarna
Wandering Aimlessly
United States
Member #25360
November 5, 2005
4461 Posts
Posted: January 21, 2007, 7:17 pm - IP Logged

Justxploring....regarding your comment about self service machines, they exsist in California.  I have noticed the machines mostly in grocery stores.  They take cash and you can play pretty much every on line game.  Also the on line machine allows one to check their tickets and allows for both quick and self picks.  Usually right next  to this machine is a dispenser for scratcher games.   

Oh, that's a good idea.  However, I wonder what would happen if there was an error?  I went to the "do it yourself" car wash a couple of days ago and put my dollar into the change machine.  I held my breath during those 5 seconds I waited until the quarters came shooting out!  I'm sure we've all lost a dollar or 2 in a vending machine.  On the other hand, there's less chance of human error because a clerk hit the wrong key.

Just6 - you are saving a lot of trees!  I can't tell you how much paper I waste all the time.  I print so many things and throw out bags paper every week.  I try to recycle when possible.  I never write down the winning numbers, however.  I just compare the numbers online with my tickets.

I started posting tonight, because I thought of another way to look at this topic.  Impulse buying. Quick picks can be a "waste"  (unless they win of course) because they are too easy to buy. Sat night, for example, I got my 4 Lotto tickets as always, but I had 2 dollars and said "I'd like 2 Fantasy 5 tickets please."  If I had to fill out a card, I probably would have left the store $2 richer.  Some people buy QPs only and others add them to their personal plays, sort of like picking up a candy bar or a magazine in the checkout aisle.

Coin Toss's avatar - shape barbed.jpg
    Zeta Reticuli Star System
    United States
    Member #30470
    January 17, 2006
    10344 Posts
    Posted: January 21, 2007, 7:27 pm - IP Logged

For some reason machines in Illinois sometimes simply will not take a properly filled out play slip for a Pick 3 or Pick 4. 

Sometimes it happens on other games, but usually it's those two.

Maybe I'm so far downstate our machines are still first generation or something, but it happens kind of often.

I've also had one machine not take a playslip but another one in another store would.

What?

Justxploring

I've always thought that someday an archeaologist is going to find a tablet or a cave wall with some Egyptian hierglyphics in one column, and something like this in the next one:

and his partner is going to be a player, perhaps a member of LP, and say, "Oh, I can translate this easy, I know just what it is" -

Mid-Day in the "Cleo Lotto Pick 3....."

Green laugh

Those who run the lotteries love it when players look for consistency in something that's designed not to have any.

Lep

There is one and only one 'proven' system, and that is to book the action. No matter the game, let the players pick their own losers.

justxploring's avatar - villiarna
      Wandering Aimlessly
      United States
      Member #25360
      November 5, 2005
      4461 Posts
      Posted: January 23, 2007, 6:52 pm - IP Logged

Coin Toss,

I think you've been watching too many of those Geico commercials with the cavemen. 

Conversation between a Neanderthal couple:

Wife:  Ugh, grr, da

Huband: Ugh, grr, da

Wife: Ugh grr, da

Husband: Ugh, grr, da, yerk

Wife: You always try to change the subject!

(OMG, the weird one is at it again.  Sorry, it's my darn split personalities.)

Coastal Georgia
        United States
        Member #2653
        October 30, 2003
        1866 Posts
        Posted: January 23, 2007, 7:23 pm - IP Logged

Coin Toss,

I think you've been watching too many of those Geico commercials with the cavemen. 

Separated at birth:   the cavemen in the Geico ads and
        Dog the bounty hunter.

DD

psykomo's avatar - animal shark.jpg

United States
          Member #4877
          May 30, 2004
          5113 Posts
          Posted: January 24, 2007, 5:52 pm - IP Logged

Here we go again!!  So far I've played 2 of my own for about 12 years and added 2 more a few years ago, and I buy a couple of quickpicks now and then. I shouldn't, but sometimes I'm foolish enough to believe I really have a chance of winning a jackpot.  The $5.50 I won (3 out of 6) on Wed was from a quickpick, so I took that $5.50 and added 50 cents and played my 4 and added 2 quickpicks for a total of $6.  I got 4 out of 6 (won $75) with one of my own selections.  So on Wed my QPs weren't a waste and on Sat they were. 

All lottery tickets, especially jackpot games, are a complete waste of money - until you hit the big one or even 5 out of 6. Then you get all your "investment" back....and a lot more!!

JX......jackpot qp

is a complete waste of MONEY-until YOU hit the "BIG" won!!!!!!!!!!

BUT, ................................&............YES.........there is.....ALWAYssss

AH.......BUTTTT

QP'sssssss are FAST & EASY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

LOL>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

BananaBananaNoelOoglePartyLoveLoviesLover

United States
            Member #47343
            October 31, 2006
            5 Posts
            Posted: February 19, 2007, 1:32 am - IP Logged

My QuickPicks will get you paid  Wink    ROFL

San Diego
              United States
              Member #49197
              January 23, 2007
              18 Posts
              Posted: March 4, 2007, 1:05 am - IP Logged

I voted no because I am of the opinion that every set of numbers has the same chance as any other set of numbers.

I live by the theory that each number drawn is not influenced by previous numbers drawn. This means (for PB) that you have a 5 in 55 chance of matching the first number. Then for the second number, you have a 5 in 54 chance of matching that number; unless you hit the first number then your chances are 4 in 54. The machine that is used to select the balls cannot read English writing. It doesn't know if it just selected three numbers in sequence. All it knows is that it picked a white ball with funny scribbles on it.

I read somewhere that they have "anti-QP" programs, which analyze sets of numbers and removes consecutive numbers. They say this increases their odds of winning. I say, "Huh?" It neither increases or decreases your chance of winning, it simply changes the numbers you are playing.

Let's suppose you bought $5 worth of quick picks. Would you be upset if you found out that all five lines contained number 15? Some people would. They would say this decreases their chance of winning. Again I say, "Huh?" How is that possible? The theory is that by breaking the same numbers up into 5 different numbers increases their chances of hitting that number from 1 in 55 (all 15's), to 5 in 55 (5 different numbers). It's true that you have increased your odds of hitting one of those numbers, however, those numbers are all on different lines they can't help each other win. For me, I keep the 15's and hope they hit then I'll have a hit on all five lines.

I usually play quick picks because I only have one set of favorite numbers. Picking my own random numbers is a slower version of Quick Pick. Let's call it "Slow Pick".

One thing I know is true. If my six lucky numbers hit two things will happen. First, I will not have to share the pot with other winners. Second, the integrity of the lottery will come into question and federal investigations will take place and sales will drop. I hope it wont put the lotteries out of business, but why would I care, I'll have 100% of the jackpot all to myself. lol

My numbers have the exact same chance of hitting as any other set of numbers. Please don't play my lucky numbers. I don't think anyone has the nerve. Here they are:

1,2,3,4,5 and bonus 6

Or, to make it sound more random: 3,5,1,4,2 and 6.

What would you do if your QP ticket contained the numbers 1 2 3 4 5 MEGA 6? Most people would throw a fit and either throw the ticket away, or demand a refund. Most people would write the ticket off as an automatic loss. The fact is, this set of numbers has the exact same odds as any other set of six numbers.

I hope the lottery doesn’t have QP filters to avoid these extreme combinations. If they do, they are not truly random. God help us if they actually take steps to make sure these kinds of combinations do not come up on actual draws.

Also, the odds of the next drawing hitting the same numbers as last draw are exactly the same.

Now there will be people saying the odds of the same numbers hitting consecutive draws are billions or trillions to one. The odds of any set of six numbers are always the same regardless of the numbers you pick, or when the numbers were last drawn. Any claims of odds higher than the standard are a result of some other cosmic force that goes beyond the fact that the lotto machine can't read, and the odds of any one number to be drawn is 1 in 55, and so on and so on....

FL
                NY
                United States
                Member #23835
                October 16, 2005
                3471 Posts
                Posted: March 4, 2007, 3:59 am - IP Logged

"My numbers have the exact same chance of hitting as any other set of numbers. Please don't play my lucky numbers. I don't think anyone has the nerve. Here they are:

1,2,3,4,5 and bonus 6"

Your assessment of the odds is spot on, but I'm wondering if you're being tongue in cheek about this. The vast majority of people would never play that combination, but there's a very small minority who will.  Because the overall number of people playing the lottery is really big, that "very small minority" has a lot of  members. Obviously, anyone who plays those numbers will be very happy if they win, but I can promise you that the jackpot will be split a lot more than 2 or 3 ways. On 7/29/06 the winning numbers in NY lotto were 5 - 10 - 15 - 25 - 30 - 35. There is typically only 1 winner every several weeks  for NY lotto, but there were 6 winners for that drawing. With 6 winners for a series with the 20 missing, what do you suppose would have happened if the numbers had been 5 - 10 - 15 -20 - 25 - 30? In the early 80's NY ran ads telling people not to play patterns when picking their numbers. IIRC, about 10,000 people played the diagonal pattern starting at the upper left and dropping down and over one. 

I think the people who don't like QP's mostly fall into 2 groups. Some people think certain numbers (or combinations) are more or less likely  to be drawn, so they do or don't want those numbers on their tickets. The other group is people who want a combination that isn't likely to be played by other people, so that if they win they will be the only winner.

hypersoniq's avatar - 8ball
                  Pennsylvania
                  United States
                  Member #1340
                  April 6, 2003
                  2450 Posts
                  Posted: March 4, 2007, 3:58 pm - IP Logged

THe quickpick I buy seems to be a waste, but I don't know for sure about all of them.

Playing more than one ticket per game is betting against yourself.

jarasan's avatar - new patrick.gif
                    Harbinger
                    D.C./MD.
                    United States
                    Member #44103
                    July 30, 2006
                    5583 Posts
                    Posted: March 4, 2007, 8:10 pm - IP Logged

Coin Toss,

OK, here it is the cavemans interactive web site you can navigate to ipod tv kitchen objects etc., check it out http://cavemanscrib.com/

Enjoy! jarasan

cybercity's avatar - Yavill
                      Japan
                      Japan
                      Member #50298
                      March 3, 2007
                      9 Posts
                      Posted: March 5, 2007, 10:59 am - IP Logged

Different ppl have different opinions. My view is that Quick Picks is a waste. I always think playing lottery as some kind of investment and I only play pick 3/4 where the chances of winning is good.  I only bet when I feel confident of winning.

MillionsWanted's avatar - 24Qa6LT

Norway
                        Member #9517
                        December 10, 2004
                        1271 Posts
                        Posted: March 5, 2007, 12:44 pm - IP Logged

I've won a second division on quick picks, so I must say it's no waste.