Welcome Guest
You last visited December 2, 2016, 2:44 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Computer help anyone?

Topic closed. 18 replies. Last post 10 years ago by konane.

Page 1 of 2
PrintE-mailLink
lotterybraker's avatar - pyramid
mississippi
United States
Member #34478
March 3, 2006
5903 Posts
Posted: January 8, 2007, 12:14 pm - IP Logged

is anyone having any trouble with their comcast high speed..here lately seems like my computer is getting a weaker single..that green power bar will not load all the way after I click on Internet Explorer..only part of the page will load..and the green power bar will not fill up..so I have to click it off and try it again..it will do the samething several times before the little power bar will fill up so I can go to my favorites and go where I want to go..and one more thing..when all of you click on your internet explorer on your desktop..does AOL.COM COME UP  as your home page..I hate AOL..they shouldnt be showing on my desktop internet explorer should they?..

"Attention all Mathematicians: Check your degree at the door because when it comes to whole numbers you are the Amateur"

Lucky Star's avatar - flower2
    Georgia
    United States
    Member #38040
    April 23, 2006
    1643 Posts
    Posted: January 8, 2007, 1:48 pm - IP Logged

Go to "Start", "Control Panel", "Internet Options", ...You should see "Homepage" right there at the top under "General"....Delete AOL and type in what you want for your homepage...I like MSN so on mine...MSN is what I type in.

Peace.  And, Good Luck!!!

Georgia
      United States
      Member #38040
      April 23, 2006
      1643 Posts
      Posted: January 8, 2007, 1:55 pm - IP Logged

And,  YES !!!  I am having the exact same problem that you are.  It is very frustrating!!!  I am so glad you brought this up. I thought it was just my computer or service provider. 

Georgia
        United States
        Member #38040
        April 23, 2006
        1643 Posts
        Posted: January 8, 2007, 2:05 pm - IP Logged

And,  I 'm using Bellsouth not Comcast. Same problem, though!

mississippi
          United States
          Member #34478
          March 3, 2006
          5903 Posts
          Posted: January 8, 2007, 2:07 pm - IP Logged

Thanks Lucky Star..I was just wondering myself if it was my computer or the signal..lol

"Attention all Mathematicians: Check your degree at the door because when it comes to whole numbers you are the Amateur"

konane's avatar - wallace
            Atlanta, GA
            United States
            Member #1265
            March 13, 2003
            3333 Posts
            Posted: January 8, 2007, 2:08 pm - IP Logged

Might want to clear your cache if you haven't already.  IE-7  Tools > Internet Options > Browsing History > Delete > Temporary Internet Files > Click Delete > Close when it's done.

I have my browsers set to dump cache when closing IE-7  Tools > Internet Options > Advanced Tab >  Security > Check box by    Empty Temporary Internet Files Folder When Browser is Closed > ok and it rests it. 

Good luck to everyone!

mississippi
              United States
              Member #34478
              March 3, 2006
              5903 Posts
              Posted: January 8, 2007, 2:10 pm - IP Logged

Thanks Konane..I normally empty my cache files and delete cookies and all that after surfing..because I like to visit some places that I will not mention..LOL

konane's avatar - wallace
                Atlanta, GA
                United States
                Member #1265
                March 13, 2003
                3333 Posts
                Posted: January 8, 2007, 2:17 pm - IP Logged

You're way ahead of me then!!!  Sometimes cable slows down because of traffic or them working on it.  I'm on DSL, thankfully. 

You might try Opera, new version just released .... it's what I use when things are slow or having problems getting on a website.

Good luck to everyone!

Georgia
                  United States
                  Member #38040
                  April 23, 2006
                  1643 Posts
                  Posted: January 8, 2007, 2:42 pm - IP Logged

Thanks Konane..I normally empty my cache files and delete cookies and all that after surfing..because I like to visit some places that I will not mention..LOL

Thank you, Konane!!! And, excellent advice!!!

Thing is, I do the same thing...I clear cookies, files/folders and history...Shut down and re-boot.  And, I haven't been web surfing!!!

So, what's the deal?

I thought about traffic as well.  Doesn't seem to matter what day or time of day!

LottoHackJack's avatar - leaf
                    Leamington, Ontario
                    Canada
                    Member #2995
                    December 11, 2003
                    59 Posts
                    Posted: January 8, 2007, 3:32 pm - IP Logged

***To change your home page...Access your browser, no matter what home page shows up now...left-click on " Tools " at the top...left-click on " Internet Options " in the drop-down menu...in the next window menu which opens, type in a new internet address at the top, where there is a small " Address " window for you to fill in which address you want your home page to come from...maybe like,            http://www.google.ca   ,     OR

http://www.google.com      OR      http://www.dogpile.com

OR    http://www.microsoft.com/isapi/redir.dll?prd=ie&pver=6&ar=msnhome

and then click on " Apply " at the bottom...then cancel out, and reboot your computer in order for the change to take immediate effect. Heck...You can make LotteryPost your homepage too!

LottoHackJack

Georgia
                      United States
                      Member #38040
                      April 23, 2006
                      1643 Posts
                      Posted: January 8, 2007, 4:45 pm - IP Logged

is anyone having any trouble with their comcast high speed..here lately seems like my computer is getting a weaker single..that green power bar will not load all the way after I click on Internet Explorer..only part of the page will load..and the green power bar will not fill up..so I have to click it off and try it again..it will do the samething several times before the little power bar will fill up so I can go to my favorites and go where I want to go..and one more thing..when all of you click on your internet explorer on your desktop..does AOL.COM COME UP  as your home page..I hate AOL..they shouldnt be showing on my desktop internet explorer should they?..

Lotterybraker, Are you still having problems with your computer?

I am.

I have DSL/Wireless, if that matters. And, again, I also considered internet traffic but, like I said I've been watching that and it doesn't seem to matter.

Ok, computer people, what do we/I do?    Thank  You !!!

winsumloosesum's avatar - Lottery-060.jpg
                        Pennsylvania
                        United States
                        Member #2218
                        September 1, 2003
                        5387 Posts
                        Posted: January 8, 2007, 4:51 pm - IP Logged

I would recommend calling Comcast and having them check the signal strength to your modem.

kayee's avatar - animal butterfly.jpg
                          missouri
                          United States
                          Member #34763
                          March 7, 2006
                          756 Posts
                          Posted: January 8, 2007, 5:18 pm - IP Logged

Green laugh

mississippi
                            United States
                            Member #34478
                            March 3, 2006
                            5903 Posts
                            Posted: January 8, 2007, 5:20 pm - IP Logged

Kayee..you know you go to them places also..to look up recipes and all..LOL

mazk's avatar - hand neg.jpg

United States
                              Member #7359
                              September 30, 2004
                              3910 Posts
                              Posted: January 8, 2007, 7:21 pm - IP Logged

Hey LB, Comcast has a nifty utility called Desktop Doctor you can download for free form their web site, and it will help you a lot whenever you have any problems with your connection, need to clean the cache ...etc

Give it a try, beats listing to elevator music while waiting for tech support :)

It is not What you play, it is How you play it !