Welcome Guest
You last visited December 7, 2016, 10:55 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

POLL: Sharing jackpot with children

Topic closed. 25 replies. Last post 10 years ago by BaristaExpress.

Page 2 of 2
PrintE-mailLink

If you won a jackpot how would you distribute the wealth to your children?

Immediately [ 13 ]  [24.53%]
After they attend college [ 5 ]  [9.43%]
After they marry [ 0 ]  [0.00%]
As an inheritance [ 2 ]  [3.77%]
Progressively [ 17 ]  [32.08%]
I wouldn't share it with my children [ 2 ]  [3.77%]
Who? [ 6 ]  [11.32%]
Linda Kollmeyer [ 4 ]  [7.55%]
Other- explain if you will [ 4 ]  [7.55%]
Total Valid Votes [ 53 ]  
Discarded Votes [ 2 ]  
CARBOB's avatar - FL LOTTERY_LOGO.png
ORLANDO, FLORIDA
United States
Member #4924
June 3, 2004
5896 Posts
Posted: January 11, 2007, 5:38 pm - IP Logged

I voted for Linda Kollmeyer because RickG. didn't give her anything. Happy New Year Rick.

Rick G's avatar - avatar 1766.jpg
    FEMA Region V Camp #21
    United States
    Member #520
    July 27, 2002
    5699 Posts
    Posted: January 11, 2007, 6:09 pm - IP Logged

I voted for Linda Kollmeyer because RickG. didn't give her anything. Happy New Year Rick.

CARBOB, I've given her my love.  What more could she ask for?  Lovies

Hope the New Year is treating you well too. 

Posted 4/6:  IL Pick 3 midday and evening until they hit:  555, 347 (str8).

Coin Toss's avatar - shape barbed.jpg
      Zeta Reticuli Star System
      United States
      Member #30470
      January 17, 2006
      10351 Posts
      Posted: January 11, 2007, 8:06 pm - IP Logged

And where is she, Rick? What happened to your sig?

What?

Does she know about this? Did you two have a spat?

Scared

Those who run the lotteries love it when players look for consistency in something that's designed not to have any.

Lep

There is one and only one 'proven' system, and that is to book the action. No matter the game, let the players pick their own losers.

mylollipop's avatar - Trek STLOGO6.png

United States
        Member #24380
        October 21, 2005
        623 Posts
        Posted: January 11, 2007, 8:12 pm - IP Logged

Progressive is the only answer for me...The kids are F27, M26, F25, and F17...and not married. Three were on their own and two are back...The 17-yr-old girl starts university next fall.

I'd give them 150 grand each to prove to themselves how irresponsible and economy ignorant they can be, and after watching them blow it, I would insist on them taking classes and seeking professional investment guidance and help with the right kind of firms, lawyers, accountants and other wealthy individuals who exist to assist rich people in making wise decisions before I give them another dime. I'd reserve another million in store for them eventually when they're best prepared for it...and then, after they learn what kind of spouse would go well with the scenario...heck, I'm not picking that out for them, so I wish them luck...but you can catch my drift. Winning is not making life easy...in fact, immediate destruction of principles and discipline and a greater distortion of reality has to occur first, no doubt.

I'd give wifey half of the remaining balance and have a contest with her to see who could make it grow the fastest...I bet she'd lose...she's consumer-oriented and judges first by worldly possessions, the outward show, whereas I seek friendship and comraderie with one's inner character.

LottoHackJack

Way to go!I Agree!

Rick G's avatar - avatar 1766.jpg
          FEMA Region V Camp #21
          United States
          Member #520
          July 27, 2002
          5699 Posts
          Posted: January 11, 2007, 8:36 pm - IP Logged

And where is she, Rick? What happened to your sig?

What?

Does she know about this? Did you two have a spat?

Scared

Coin Toss,

She inexplicably disappeared the other day.  But I got her to come back home.  (Notice I gave the photog due credit for the pic....thought it might be an issue for a spat and just won't have any ecxuses.)

Posted 4/6:  IL Pick 3 midday and evening until they hit:  555, 347 (str8).

Coin Toss's avatar - shape barbed.jpg
            Zeta Reticuli Star System
            United States
            Member #30470
            January 17, 2006
            10351 Posts
            Posted: January 12, 2007, 12:55 am - IP Logged

Glad to hear she's back! 

I'm dying for someone from the Illinois lottery to Google Linda Kollmeyer, or just stumble into one of your posts!

Green laugh

Those who run the lotteries love it when players look for consistency in something that's designed not to have any.

Lep

There is one and only one 'proven' system, and that is to book the action. No matter the game, let the players pick their own losers.

Morrison, IL
              United States
              Member #4657
              May 13, 2004
              1884 Posts
              Posted: January 13, 2007, 11:47 am - IP Logged

Well, I plan to never have kids, so this won't be an issue!!

psykomo's avatar - animal shark.jpg

United States
                Member #4877
                May 30, 2004
                5121 Posts
                Posted: January 16, 2007, 3:49 am - IP Logged

The Missouri lottery put this poll in the e-mail they send out, I just thought it would be an intersting one to post here. (I added a few choices)

Enjoy.  

COINTOSS..............ye$$$$$$...........Coin Toss!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

THANK$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

for...........................YOUR.................................POLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL

IFF>>>>>>>>>>>>I.............HADDDDDDDDDDsummmmmmmmmm

VOTeeeeeeeeeeeee..............IMEDIATE............Lyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy

BUT.........................................most???????????FLELIONS.......don't

KNOW WHAT CHILDREN..........ARE?????????????????????????????

??????????????????????.........BUT?????????????????????????????

"WHY"..........DO............NEED?????????CHILDREN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

LOL

PSYKOMO 

Coastal Georgia
                  United States
                  Member #2653
                  October 30, 2003
                  1866 Posts
                  Posted: January 17, 2007, 8:48 pm - IP Logged

Thanks for the poll, CT...My vote was Progressively.
                  I would start with the maximum amount that can be given tax free, then go from there.
                  I have a stepson and a daughter that are fully grown, responsible , and practical .
                  After the initial cash payment, I would find out what their current debt load is and pay it off systematically.

I love them dearly and would want them to enjoy it as much as me and their mom would.

DD

BobP's avatar - bobp avatar.png
                    Dump Water Florida
                    United States
                    Member #380
                    June 5, 2002
                    3104 Posts
                    Posted: January 18, 2007, 1:38 am - IP Logged

I don't believe the winning and losing of money by gambling should be discussed in front of young children.  I have memories of my father fanning hundred dollar bills in front of my mother after winning a tri-fecta without mention of what he'd lost in the past to win it.  We kids were happy and excited wondering what it meant for us, well we got nothing, but a sense you could win big money gambling. 

Adult children, be prepared to share responsibly over time or lose their attention.  Their suddenly new investment ideas will be a big problem if you don't make it clear it's your money. 

Me, I'll just put a million in a bank account and issue them all check books drawing on it, tell them when it's gone it's gone so withdraw with care.  he he

BobP

BaristaExpress's avatar - BaristaExpressMX zpsfb0d8b5d.png
                      Magnolia, Delaware
                      United States
                      Member #18795
                      July 20, 2005
                      789 Posts
                      Posted: January 18, 2007, 8:37 am - IP Logged

I voted Progressively. I would be doing a trust for my 19 yr old daughter and one for my 4 yr old son. My daughter would receive a monthly check from the interest on the trust, without ever knowing the beginning balance. On her 25th birthday she would receive 1/3 of the beginning balance of the trust! On her 35th birthday she would receive the remaining 2/3 of the balance. My son would start getting interest checks on his 18th birthday from his trust. Man what a build up of interest on his trust (14 yrs worth) WOW! Then the same cycle will be repeated with him as it was done with his sister!

Keep dreaming the impossible dream, it just may come true! Thumbs Up