Welcome Guest
You last visited December 3, 2016, 4:44 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

if i won 315 million....the do's and the don'ts

Topic closed. 20 replies. Last post 10 years ago by ambelamba.

Page 1 of 2
PrintE-mailLink
LOTTOMIKE's avatar - cash money.jpg
Tennessee
United States
Member #7853
October 15, 2004
11338 Posts
Posted: January 13, 2007, 4:51 am - IP Logged

after reading about jack the unlucky 315 million dollar jackpot winner and richest ever winner who is now broke i have to say i have seen what a seedy lifestyle will do to those winnings.if i won 315 million i'd buy a house,a few nice cars,save and invest some,give a few family members a one time check,give some money to charity,go on a nice vacation and then finally sit down and figure out what i want to do to with my new job.that new job is managing hundreds of millions of dollars.i won't be an alcoholic,dopehead,hopeless gambler,easy mark for swindlers,shopaholic or sex addict.i'll try to keep any healthy vices to a nice moderation.Lovies

Litebets27's avatar - power
    Maryland
    United States
    Member #10465
    January 14, 2005
    6065 Posts
    Posted: January 13, 2007, 6:36 am - IP Logged

after reading about jack the unlucky 315 million dollar jackpot winner and richest ever winner who is now broke i have to say i have seen what a seedy lifestyle will do to those winnings.if i won 315 million i'd buy a house,a few nice cars,save and invest some,give a few family members a one time check,give some money to charity,go on a nice vacation and then finally sit down and figure out what i want to do to with my new job.that new job is managing hundreds of millions of dollars.i won't be an alcoholic,dopehead,hopeless gambler,easy mark for swindlers,shopaholic or sex addict.i'll try to keep any healthy vices to a nice moderation.Lovies

Looks like a good plan to me!  I can see why a few big winners have become somewhat reclusive.

But as they say, sometimes touble follows some people no matter where they try to hide.

My plan would include building my dream vacation/ retirement home that is not very lavish in another State.

litebets

Feeling,  PRICELESS!!!Banana

Come on Jackpot!!!

Belle Fourche , South Dakota
      United States
      Member #25019
      October 30, 2005
      17 Posts
      Posted: January 13, 2007, 7:05 pm - IP Logged

As Jack just proved to the World - easy come is gone  ,  a fool and his money are soon parted !  I for one like LOTTOMIKE seem to be on the same page . Invest in secure things , businesses don't intrest me why tie my new found free time with managemental responsibilitys of all the differn't problems of running a business and take the out side chance of being sued or have those managing my business to swindle or run it into the ground . Mutual funds, stocks of solid back ground , bonds and land. God sure isn't making any more land and thats just keep going up. No big Million dollar mansions in two or three states , no running to Paris for breakfast and then back to New york for Supper. Just the simple life , travel , injoy my family-- invest for their future and thier kids future . If anything sad as it is Jack, wasn't to smart and fame and fortune wasn't his game or life style. Sould of stayed with his roots.

United States
        Member #10720
        January 23, 2005
        933 Posts
        Posted: January 13, 2007, 7:24 pm - IP Logged

If I won 315 million (or anything in the millions)... The first thing is I would have a press conference where I come off like Scrooge's evil nephew. I will remember who was there for me when I was poor and help them in some reasonable way. Nobody would get a new Cadillac (but I'd get a Jeep) and of course I would go right on here and let you all know how I won and share whatever technology I used (for free) and I MIGHT upgrade my membership from Expert to Premium level. I'd NEVER start drinking, I'd stay out of nudie bars, and I'd probably quit PLAYING for the most part but I'd still develop my programs so others could benefit from them.

guesser's avatar - Lottery-017.jpg

United States
          Member #41383
          June 16, 2006
          1969 Posts
          Posted: January 14, 2007, 10:05 pm - IP Logged

It's well-documented all over the place what most of us would do.

New Jersey
            United States
            Member #21206
            September 4, 2005
            949 Posts
            Posted: January 14, 2007, 10:28 pm - IP Logged

The things you list about who you would give money to and when sound very much like Jack's list when he won.

A better strategy in my opinion would be to invest (diversely) the entire sum and start with the buying and giving away after you have determined what the income on your investments actually represents.    If you took Jack's cash payment - I think it was about $113 million and made conservative investments, you would still be bringing home millions each year.

My understanding though, is that Whitaker bought some commercial property, and thus has some investment income.  He may be cash poor, but I doubt he's penniless.

If I were him, I'd make a statement that I was broke whether or not I was actually.

The story is about a lawsuit and a liability.  He is not necessarily telling the truth.  I don't know that he's lying of course, but he could be. 

United States
              Member #10438
              January 13, 2005
              431 Posts
              Posted: January 14, 2007, 10:52 pm - IP Logged

What do ya mean--IF???  WHEN  is the correct termGroup Hug

Entertaiment Capital
                United States
                Member #37800
                April 19, 2006
                302 Posts
                Posted: January 15, 2007, 1:35 am - IP Logged

Even if I win such amount of money I'll buy a Camry 07 XLE. Well, maybe I can purchase an Aston Martin DB9 coupe but I'll put 90% of money into secure investments, including income funds that can give me monthly incomes from dividends.

dingo's avatar - lottery of-birth.jpg
                  San Jose, California
                  United States
                  Member #42003
                  June 26, 2006
                  206 Posts
                  Posted: January 15, 2007, 1:49 am - IP Logged

the well-planned hardly touch their hands on the jackpots.

Coin Toss's avatar - shape barbed.jpg
                    Zeta Reticuli Star System
                    United States
                    Member #30470
                    January 17, 2006
                    10344 Posts
                    Posted: January 15, 2007, 3:50 pm - IP Logged

It's amusing to read the articles about horror stories of lottery winners and then to read a lot of posts where people are saying, "Well, NOT ME!", in one way or another.

I'd love to see somebody here win a bog one, and I'd love to see them do well with it, bit I also think that anyone who hits something  like a hundred million or more isnot even going to be coherent for awhile.

I remember seeing one winner being interviewed, and he was asked all the predictable questions, what are you going to do with it, etc.., and he said,

"Are you kidding me. I'm not "in reality" right now, this couldn't have happened. It will probably be a week before I'll even be able to spell my own name right. Then someone will remind me what happened and I'll be a blithering idiot all over again."

Those who run the lotteries love it when players look for consistency in something that's designed not to have any.

Lep

There is one and only one 'proven' system, and that is to book the action. No matter the game, let the players pick their own losers.

Coastal Georgia
                      United States
                      Member #2653
                      October 30, 2003
                      1866 Posts
                      Posted: January 15, 2007, 4:48 pm - IP Logged

We can all SAY what we would do, but after the initial shock wore off, we would do whatever we darn well felt like.

I ain't gonna lie-I would put a large portion of it in investments.

Then I would go freaking party crazy in Vegas !
                      Hotties, drinking, gambling, more hotties, more drinking, more hotties, more gambling, then I would top it all off with some more hotties.

Hey, I said I wasn't gonna lie.....

I would not blow all the money and end up like those that we read about. I am smarter than that.
                      No one said that winning = not having fun , did they ?
                      At least I owned up to what I would do...

tntea's avatar - Lottery-059.jpg

United States
                        Member #5344
                        June 30, 2004
                        23641 Posts
                        Posted: January 15, 2007, 5:41 pm - IP Logged

I dont follow trouble and trouble doesn't follow me.. When I hit the jackpot.. Life will not change for me...

After reading about Jack, it is easy to see that Trouble is his middle name.  Look at where he hung out.. 

OLD/Vtrac   Lottery Bible         Double Warnings      Thumbs Up TN F34/F44

Coin Toss's avatar - shape barbed.jpg
                          Zeta Reticuli Star System
                          United States
                          Member #30470
                          January 17, 2006
                          10344 Posts
                          Posted: January 15, 2007, 7:15 pm - IP Logged

DoubleDown

High-profile "flashing" is never a good idea in Vegas, never.  

Wink

Those who run the lotteries love it when players look for consistency in something that's designed not to have any.

Lep

There is one and only one 'proven' system, and that is to book the action. No matter the game, let the players pick their own losers.

Coastal Georgia
                            United States
                            Member #2653
                            October 30, 2003
                            1866 Posts
                            Posted: January 15, 2007, 7:19 pm - IP Logged

DoubleDown

High-profile "flashing" is never a good idea in Vegas, never.  

Wink

CT, I hear ya..

Maybe it can be low key ?

psykomo's avatar - animal shark.jpg

United States
                              Member #4877
                              May 30, 2004
                              5114 Posts
                              Posted: January 15, 2007, 9:33 pm - IP Logged

the well-planned hardly touch their hands on the jackpots.

Jack.........HIT!!!

the "JACKPOT".........................................PLANNED or NOT!!!!!!!!!!

"Jack is SMART"

HE...still has a so........called........group of "FRIEND"s ROUND HIM!!

HE...SURIVE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

POOR BOY.................."HE WILL SURIVE"!!!

ASK......."JACK"$$$$$$$

LOL...................................."JACK" and ALL JackPot winner$$$$$$$

PSYKOMO