Welcome Guest
You last visited January 19, 2017, 6:21 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

What software do you use and why..

Topic closed. 24 replies. Last post 10 years ago by RJOh.

Page 1 of 2
PrintE-mailLink
Los Angeles
United States
Member #49014
January 16, 2007
2 Posts
Posted: January 18, 2007, 3:19 pm - IP Logged

do you think its better than the rest.

Also!

Has anyone ever tried modifying(writing additional programming) to their purchased software to enhance its use

cps10's avatar - Lottery-004.jpg
    The Carolinas - Charlotte
    United States
    Member #21627
    September 12, 2005
    4138 Posts
    Posted: January 18, 2007, 3:59 pm - IP Logged

LotSoft and no, no need to enhance it.

It has great statistical data and very easy to use and the Live Draw Update is priceless.

The North Carolina Education Lottery - so much a joke that here are their mascots:

Stooges

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
      mid-Ohio
      United States
      Member #9
      March 24, 2001
      19900 Posts
      Posted: January 18, 2007, 4:28 pm - IP Logged

I use software I designed and wrote myself using GWBasic and compiled using a Quick Basic complier.  GWBasic is an old Microsoft DOS language that's not used any more but still run in the Command window of Windows.

It's unlikely the average Joe lottery player is able to decompile a commercial program and modify it, if he had those kinds of skills he would be writing his own programs not trying to make a bad program work better.

I bought several of the better commercial programs but they didn't give me all the information I wanted so I designed my own and I'm still finding ways to improve it.  I haven't found anything that works better but then I haven't tried any of the programs available that cost more than $50 or don't have a free trial period.  My personal opinion is commercial programs work the same for everybody and everybody is not winning lotteries.

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning ticket * 

Evil Looking       

Guru101's avatar - rw6jhh
        Indiana
        United States
        Member #48725
        January 7, 2007
        1958 Posts
        Posted: January 18, 2007, 7:14 pm - IP Logged

I made 2 different programs. One coded in C++, the other coded in VB.

guesser's avatar - Lottery-017.jpg

United States
          Member #41383
          June 16, 2006
          1969 Posts
          Posted: January 19, 2007, 1:13 am - IP Logged

Microsoft Excel, a yellow legal pad, and a calculator.

My most important computer program is my yellow legal pad, I couldn't play without it. 

time*treat's avatar - radar

United States
            Member #13130
            March 30, 2005
            2171 Posts
            Posted: January 19, 2007, 9:06 am - IP Logged

I use excel as my data container (because it's simpler than writing my own and has a few other sublte advantages, right now) and VBA language as it allows me to focus more on my ideas and less on language syntax. In that sense, I have modified my purchased software. 

I don't bother with buying "pro" lottery software. If there is a bug in the code, you have to beg, beg, beg some schmoe for an update ... after they've got your money... which, of course, changes who the true schmoe is.

In neo-conned Amerika, bank robs you.
            Alcohol, Tobacco, and Firearms should be the name of a convenience store, not a govnoment agency.

Todd's avatar - Cylon 2.gif
              Chief Bottle Washer
              New Jersey
              United States
              Member #1
              May 31, 2000
              23350 Posts
              Posted: January 19, 2007, 9:29 am - IP Logged

I've written some software myself - everything in the "Systems" menu above. Big Grin

I code almost everything in some form of VB.  The older stuff, including Deflate and Inspector, are written in VBScript, which is the language behind classic ASP pages.  The newer stuff, like Lucky's Followers System, is written in VB.NET, which is one of Microsoft's .NET languages.

There is also some C# programming in Lottery Post (another .NET language), but I try to keep it at a minimum, because I find VB.NET to be more readable and maintainable.

For the average lottery player, the #1 best tool in the world is Excel.  If I were just writing some code for a personal lottery system, it would absolutely be in Excel, which is a lot more powerful than some people realize.  It has a complete development environment, using Visual Basic for Applications (VBA) for its programming language.  It is a full-blown programming language, not some stripped-down macro language.

Check the State Lottery Report Card
              What grade did your lottery earn?

Sign the Petition for True Lottery Drawings
              Help eliminate computerized drawings!

Anywhere & Everywhere
                United States
                Member #10713
                January 23, 2005
                290 Posts
                Posted: January 21, 2007, 1:28 pm - IP Logged

I agree Todd that Excel is a great tool for the personal lottery system, which I have used in some many ways to track this game. However, I did not think I would come to this day, when I say that I have outgrown this tool. I need a truly integrated database management tracking system, that is why I pursue Access as the next growth point for me.  I hope I get there soon, although, the more I look at LotSoft, the closer I think I am already at that goal.

hypersoniq's avatar - 8ball
                  Pennsylvania
                  United States
                  Member #1340
                  April 6, 2003
                  2450 Posts
                  Posted: January 21, 2007, 1:47 pm - IP Logged

#1 Excel /with VBA - quick and easy to get up and running, forces you to think to solve problems and adapt formulas.

#2 Visual Basic - easy to use when you know what to ask it (still seeking the proper questions). I still prefer excel because many times I would write a VB program only to discover an easy alternative already existed in Excel.

#3 Access - speaking SQL helps narrow down the data. Proper queries return concise results. Plus it integrates seamlessly with excel.

Add to these my trusty casio fx-50 graphing calculator, post-it's and a regular notebook and a mechanical pencil and I'm all set to give myself endless hours of false hope Jester

Playing more than one ticket per game is betting against yourself.

paurths's avatar - underground
                    Switching between Fairfax, VA and Belgium
                    Belgium
                    Member #19287
                    July 29, 2005
                    2254 Posts
                    Posted: January 21, 2007, 8:23 pm - IP Logged

I agree Todd that Excel is a great tool for the personal lottery system, which I have used in some many ways to track this game. However, I did not think I would come to this day, when I say that I have outgrown this tool. I need a truly integrated database management tracking system, that is why I pursue Access as the next growth point for me.  I hope I get there soon, although, the more I look at LotSoft, the closer I think I am already at that goal.

Really!?
                    Good for you!

lasas3

An onion a day keeps everyone away!!!

guesser's avatar - Lottery-017.jpg

United States
                      Member #41383
                      June 16, 2006
                      1969 Posts
                      Posted: January 22, 2007, 1:42 pm - IP Logged

IMO, there are too many intangibles for a computer system of any kind.  It CAN be done, but the number of tables needed if you were to do it in,say, MS Access, would be in the high-hundreds.   But that's just my opinion.

That said, 70% of all jackpot winners are quick-picks, largely because 70% of all ticket sales are - quick-picks. 

Bay Area, CA
                        United States
                        Member #48295
                        December 20, 2006
                        10 Posts
                        Posted: January 23, 2007, 9:40 am - IP Logged

Most of my work uses Excel/VBA though there's also a lot of Access/VB and SQL.  There's a number tasks that one can do better (much quicker or simply) than the other.  Also, you can code user defined functions (aka methods) that can be used interchangeably in Excel/Access without modification.

United States
                          Member #119
                          February 19, 2002
                          527 Posts
                          Posted: January 23, 2007, 9:21 pm - IP Logged

do you think its better than the rest.

Also!

Has anyone ever tried modifying(writing additional programming) to their purchased software to enhance its use

Software in and of itself will not win a lottery.  It is the USE of that software that MIGHT get you a win, though.  You must use your head and your heart in interpreting the information the software presents.  It is through the interpretation of that information that will make the software "valuable".  A professional tennis player can take a $30. dollar cheap racket and beat a nonpro who has the best one on the market.  It is the SKILL you BRING to USING the racket (software) that is key here.

U feel me? :-)

United States
                            Member #2460
                            October 7, 2003
                            766 Posts
                            Posted: January 24, 2007, 3:34 am - IP Logged

Software in and of itself will not win a lottery.  It is the USE of that software that MIGHT get you a win, though.  You must use your head and your heart in interpreting the information the software presents.  It is through the interpretation of that information that will make the software "valuable".  A professional tennis player can take a $30. dollar cheap racket and beat a nonpro who has the best one on the market.  It is the SKILL you BRING to USING the racket (software) that is key here.

U feel me? :-)

Greg is very right.

The same applies to those who want to use a supercomputer for winning jackpot games, it will never give you the winning jackpot number of itself.

Only a properly coded prediction program will , which probably won't happen as perhaps there is no programmer anywhere who knows how to make such a program.

Another possible way would be to have the right tools in a jackpot lottery program and if you know how to use them to get the jackpot winning number.

It is not a good idea to make automatic pick 3, 4 prediction programs for the general public unless they are somewhat "Faulty" and don't give the winning number often enough to make a regular profit with them.

It is much better to make programs that give a person the right tools, that if used right can give you the winning number.

But as not everybody uses and or likes to use the same prediction method(s) not all lottery programs and or tools are well suited for every-ones use.

It is the right prediction logic(s)  that will give you the winning number and even a correctly programmed old and very slow Commodore computer would do it, as it is the program itself and not so much the computer that is doing it.

But of course, for such a very slow program such as LottoSyncronizer, it might be best to have a very fast computer with lots of memory and again maybe not as the slower computer might produce better "Random" numbers according to something that Ion Saliu said quite some time ago, as he once did some random numbers generating  tests, true or not, I don't know.

I don't at all agree with many things that he believes in, but about this particular thing he just might be right.

There perhaps are so many variables involved in the prediction technique used by LottoSync that even Guru (Marco) does not know the full effect that each of those variables has on the prediction, I am sure that he keeps on learning with all his unending testing.

This might not apply to this here thread, but I wonder if we will ever have a good enough copy of LottoSync, I do understand that making a good enough program might not be possible or might take very many years to develop, I am of course talking about jackpot games prediction as automatic pick 3 and 4 prediction is very possible if the drawings are fair (Honest) and truly random. 

------------

Todd's Lottery Post online workouts are good.

--------------

And Ricky's (Paurths) pick 3 and pick 4 lottery programs are also good enough, they of course could be much better, even if they already are the best of them all. 

---------------------------- 

EXCALIBUR is no more that "Handle" is dead, gone.
                            Maybe sometime in the future I might come back as LANTERN again, but maybe not, if I don't come back as LANTERN in the future then I won't come back at all, but as I said there is no more EXCALIBUR.

United States
                              Member #119
                              February 19, 2002
                              527 Posts
                              Posted: January 24, 2007, 10:00 pm - IP Logged

Greg is very right.

The same applies to those who want to use a supercomputer for winning jackpot games, it will never give you the winning jackpot number of itself.

Only a properly coded prediction program will , which probably won't happen as perhaps there is no programmer anywhere who knows how to make such a program.

Another possible way would be to have the right tools in a jackpot lottery program and if you know how to use them to get the jackpot winning number.

It is not a good idea to make automatic pick 3, 4 prediction programs for the general public unless they are somewhat "Faulty" and don't give the winning number often enough to make a regular profit with them.

It is much better to make programs that give a person the right tools, that if used right can give you the winning number.

But as not everybody uses and or likes to use the same prediction method(s) not all lottery programs and or tools are well suited for every-ones use.

It is the right prediction logic(s)  that will give you the winning number and even a correctly programmed old and very slow Commodore computer would do it, as it is the program itself and not so much the computer that is doing it.

But of course, for such a very slow program such as LottoSyncronizer, it might be best to have a very fast computer with lots of memory and again maybe not as the slower computer might produce better "Random" numbers according to something that Ion Saliu said quite some time ago, as he once did some random numbers generating  tests, true or not, I don't know.

I don't at all agree with many things that he believes in, but about this particular thing he just might be right.

There perhaps are so many variables involved in the prediction technique used by LottoSync that even Guru (Marco) does not know the full effect that each of those variables has on the prediction, I am sure that he keeps on learning with all his unending testing.

This might not apply to this here thread, but I wonder if we will ever have a good enough copy of LottoSync, I do understand that making a good enough program might not be possible or might take very many years to develop, I am of course talking about jackpot games prediction as automatic pick 3 and 4 prediction is very possible if the drawings are fair (Honest) and truly random. 

------------

Todd's Lottery Post online workouts are good.

--------------

And Ricky's (Paurths) pick 3 and pick 4 lottery programs are also good enough, they of course could be much better, even if they already are the best of them all. 

---------------------------- 

It all comes down to number analysis, and pattern analysis.