Welcome Guest
You last visited December 3, 2016, 4:45 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

GPU Power

Topic closed. 8 replies. Last post 10 years ago by RJOh.

Page 1 of 1
PrintE-mailLink
time*treat's avatar - radar

United States
Member #13130
March 30, 2005
2171 Posts
Posted: January 20, 2007, 11:50 pm - IP Logged

Since some higher end graphics (video) cards now have their own processor and memory, I'm thinking it should be possible to do some number crunching within the GPU as well as the CPU. Anyone done anything like programming into their GPU? A lot of these cards have more proc power than entire older computers.

In neo-conned Amerika, bank robs you.
Alcohol, Tobacco, and Firearms should be the name of a convenience store, not a govnoment agency.

SirMetro's avatar - center
    East of Atlanta
    United States
    Member #6191
    August 11, 2004
    1389 Posts
    Posted: January 21, 2007, 4:05 am - IP Logged

Graphic processors typically do not have any "idle" time even when you are doing nothing with the computer. If your after processor power, I suggest you consider dual and/or multiple processor based units. Or, perhaps even consider RISC based processor systems. RISC processors operate faster and more effienciently (or at least they use to) then standad Intel/AMD type processors.

The graphic cards with memory and processors are designed to remove the load from the primary CPU which in turn offers an increased boost to the system while presenting some awesome graphics.  Also, I have seen some decent graphic cards cost a LOT more then a few of the decent computers out there.

Anyway, long and short of it is, I think it would be a waste of time to rob processing power from your graphics card just to crunch an extra number. If you want extra number crunching ability, consider the system in place by the Organization that searches the stars for intelligent life (I forget what it is called, I will try to look it up later). Basically, people could sign on and when their computer was not in use, the computer would be used to crunch numbers. It was a rather ingenius and cheap way to gain extra processing power.

Fibonacci's avatar - Lottery-050.jpg
      New York, NY
      United States
      Member #39471
      May 16, 2006
      2696 Posts
      Posted: January 21, 2007, 5:35 am - IP Logged

Graphic processors typically do not have any "idle" time even when you are doing nothing with the computer. If your after processor power, I suggest you consider dual and/or multiple processor based units. Or, perhaps even consider RISC based processor systems. RISC processors operate faster and more effienciently (or at least they use to) then standad Intel/AMD type processors.

The graphic cards with memory and processors are designed to remove the load from the primary CPU which in turn offers an increased boost to the system while presenting some awesome graphics.  Also, I have seen some decent graphic cards cost a LOT more then a few of the decent computers out there.

Anyway, long and short of it is, I think it would be a waste of time to rob processing power from your graphics card just to crunch an extra number. If you want extra number crunching ability, consider the system in place by the Organization that searches the stars for intelligent life (I forget what it is called, I will try to look it up later). Basically, people could sign on and when their computer was not in use, the computer would be used to crunch numbers. It was a rather ingenius and cheap way to gain extra processing power.

Do you mean S.E.T.I?

$$$

United States
        Member #13130
        March 30, 2005
        2171 Posts
        Posted: January 21, 2007, 11:05 am - IP Logged

Metro,

You are right. There are other (more efficient) options for gaining more computational power.

It's not so much a matter of "needing" the extra power. I'm just wanting to know if/how anyone has gone about doing it. As an analogy, some guys spend entire weekends (and hundreds of dollars) modding their cars to shave a tenth of a second off their quarter-mile time.

Does anyone really have to be in a place so near, so soon? Waste of time & money?

I wont touch that one Smile, but I'll bet there are a lot of people with strong opinions on it. 

Alcohol, Tobacco, and Firearms should be the name of a convenience store, not a govnoment agency.

SirMetro's avatar - center
          East of Atlanta
          United States
          Member #6191
          August 11, 2004
          1389 Posts
          Posted: January 21, 2007, 4:54 pm - IP Logged

I believe SETI is the organization. At least they had that program a few years ago. Am not sure if it is still sponsored or not now.

As for a tenth of a second on a quarter mile run, in the drag racing industry, that would be the equivalent of us doubling our ram capacity on our computers. For that application, such a modification is hugely beneficial (considering there is thousands of dollars on the line in both prizes and sponserships).

Personally, if I was seeking an option to do pure unconditional number crunching, I would utilize a NON-graphics DOS (or even a RISC-based OS) with symmetric multi-processing system that does nothing more then churn numbers. Or, if you can afford it, access time to a supercomputer doesn't hurt either. But hey, it's all in what kind of final output your seeking. Heck, if you have the budget, consider the system being discussed here that can support up to 640 processors simultanously (http://www.research.ibm.com/journal/sj/411/loveland.html).

Good luck in your quest,

Sir Metro

MillionsWanted's avatar - 24Qa6LT

Norway
            Member #9517
            December 10, 2004
            1272 Posts
            Posted: January 22, 2007, 11:44 am - IP Logged

You might want to check out your PC's BIOS. It can be modified to improve speed of both CPU , memory and graphics card.

Check out which BIOS you got and search for BIOS optimization in the search engines.

In some cases you will need to get an overclocking fan for your PC's CPU. 

Todd's avatar - Cylon 2.gif
              Chief Bottle Washer
              New Jersey
              United States
              Member #1
              May 31, 2000
              23259 Posts
              Posted: January 22, 2007, 1:29 pm - IP Logged

Since some higher end graphics (video) cards now have their own processor and memory, I'm thinking it should be possible to do some number crunching within the GPU as well as the CPU. Anyone done anything like programming into their GPU? A lot of these cards have more proc power than entire older computers.

The applications that benefit from powerful GPUs are mainly games and high-end CAD applications used for 3-dimensional modeling of objects.  I can't think of anything related to the lottery that would be helped by a powerful GPU.

If you want to increase the computational power of your PC, get a multi-core CPU, more RAM (at least 1GB) and a fast SATA hard drive with lots of room.  I personally like the Athlon 64 bit processors if I get the choice.  But the new Intel dual core processors are good too, particularly in laptops.

Check the State Lottery Report Card
              What grade did your lottery earn?

Sign the Petition for True Lottery Drawings
              Help eliminate computerized drawings!

United States
                Member #13130
                March 30, 2005
                2171 Posts
                Posted: January 22, 2007, 10:07 pm - IP Logged

I think folks are misunderstanding what I am getting at.

I have *plenty* of both processing power AND ram. Those things are not the issue.

You guys have heard of Rube_Goldberg machines, I am sure.

I am trying to do something in a way that I already know would be "inefficient".

I'm not looking to overclock, change my BIOS, or anything like that. 

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
                  mid-Ohio
                  United States
                  Member #9
                  March 24, 2001
                  19816 Posts
                  Posted: January 22, 2007, 11:42 pm - IP Logged

time*treat writes:
                  I am trying to do something in a way that I already know would be "inefficient".

I thought that was what all of us who are trying to design a program to make playing the lotteries profitable were doing.  I never thought it was a lack of computer power but rather a lack of any idea of how to do it.  I guess if you want to make the task even harder then that's one way of doing it.  Good luck to you.

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning ticket * 

Evil Looking