Welcome Guest
You last visited January 19, 2017, 6:21 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Second Chance Drawings

Topic closed. 11 replies. Last post 10 years ago by justxploring.

Page 1 of 1
PrintE-mailLink

Would you spend more for a second chance?

Yes, explain [ 4 ]  [21.05%]
No, explain [ 9 ]  [47.37%]
Depends on the odds, explain [ 0 ]  [0.00%]
Depends on the prize, explain [ 2 ]  [10.53%]
Both #3 and #4, explain [ 3 ]  [15.79%]
Other, explain [ 1 ]  [5.26%]
Total Valid Votes [ 19 ]  
Discarded Votes [ 0 ]  
justxploring's avatar - villiarna
Wandering Aimlessly
United States
Member #25360
November 5, 2005
4461 Posts
Posted: January 29, 2007, 4:06 pm - IP Logged

Although it was about scratch tickets, the Florida lottery recently had a poll asking if players would spend an extra dollar on a $1 ticket if the losing ticket was entered into a second chance drawing.

My question is for all games which is why I posted this in the discussion forum. 

Fantasy 5 in Florida has "EZ Match" which pays up to $500 instantly.  The ticket is a dollar and to play EZ match you add a dollar.  (I never do.)  PB is a little different, since paying a dollar for the multiplier is the same game and the same drawing, but you just get a lot more money if you are one of the lucky people who win one of the lower tier prizes, especially 5 numbers. 

Sometimes these second chance drawings offer vacations and other prizes.  I only want cash.  So the odds wouldn't affect my decision as much as what I'm going to get if I win. Being in sales, I've won plenty of contests where I got lunch or something I really didn't want. Once I got a crystal ice bucket on my 10th anniversary with a company. Odds are important to me.  After all, if my dollar isn't going to give me a much better chance than simply buying another ticket, why would I spend the money?

I also remember years ago when players could mail their losing tickets for a second chance drawing, but it didn't cost any more.  I can't remember where this was, however.  Would that encourage you to play more often or buy more tickets? 

Coastal Georgia
    United States
    Member #2653
    October 30, 2003
    1866 Posts
    Posted: January 29, 2007, 4:17 pm - IP Logged

Although it was about scratch tickets, the Florida lottery recently had a poll asking if players would spend an extra dollar on a $1 ticket if the losing ticket was entered into a second chance drawing.

My question is for all games which is why I posted this in the discussion forum. 

Fantasy 5 in Florida has "EZ Match" which pays up to $500 instantly.  The ticket is a dollar and to play EZ match you add a dollar.  (I never do.)  PB is a little different, since paying a dollar for the multiplier is the same game and the same drawing, but you just get a lot more money if you are one of the lucky people who win one of the lower tier prizes, especially 5 numbers. 

Sometimes these second chance drawings offer vacations and other prizes.  I only want cash.  So the odds wouldn't affect my decision as much as what I'm going to get if I win. Being in sales, I've won plenty of contests where I got lunch or something I really didn't want. Once I got a crystal ice bucket on my 10th anniversary with a company. Odds are important to me.  After all, if my dollar isn't going to give me a much better chance than simply buying another ticket, why would I spend the money?

I also remember years ago when players could mail their losing tickets for a second chance drawing, but it didn't cost any more.  I can't remember where this was, however.  Would that encourage you to play more often or buy more tickets? 

Justxploring, my vote is yes.
    If I win more money maybe I won't have financial problems later in life... LOL

BTW, did you tell the company how much you appreciated the ice bucket or did you tell them politely to place it up their ice ?

DD

Coin Toss's avatar - shape barbed.jpg
      Zeta Reticuli Star System
      United States
      Member #30470
      January 17, 2006
      10390 Posts
      Posted: January 29, 2007, 6:18 pm - IP Logged

'No' for me. Illinois has these Second Chance drawings every so often, although there's no extra charge, it's always send in $30 in losing tickets for a chance to be in the drawing. 

So far so good.  Then the list of winners gets listed and it's the same old story:

Chicago

Chicago

Berwyn (Chicago area)

Chicago

Schaumburg (Chicago area)

Chicago

Chicago

Chicago

etc..... 

(No offesne to the Chicago contingent here on LP, but it gets very  Bang Head  for those of us "Downstate").

PS

To Chicagoans anything south of 183rd St. is considered "downstate"

Green laugh

Justxploring

I have a hunch you'll see the same thing with Miami.

Those who run the lotteries love it when players look for consistency in something that's designed not to have any.

Lep

There is one and only one 'proven' system, and that is to book the action. No matter the game, let the players pick their own losers.

NY
        United States
        Member #23835
        October 16, 2005
        3502 Posts
        Posted: January 30, 2007, 10:46 pm - IP Logged

Let me make sure I understand correctly. For $1 I can buy a ticket and have a chance at the standard prize offered by a game. For another $1 the state is offering a chance  at a secondary prize? Why would I spend twice as much money to not get twice as many tickets and twice as many chances at the  real prize? It sounds like you already know it's a sucker bet.

United States
          Member #30470
          January 17, 2006
          10390 Posts
          Posted: January 31, 2007, 2:26 am - IP Logged

From a marketing standpoint, the lotto looks at it as giving the bettors a chance to turn a losing ticket into a winner, of sorts.

Those who run the lotteries love it when players look for consistency in something that's designed not to have any.

Lep

There is one and only one 'proven' system, and that is to book the action. No matter the game, let the players pick their own losers.

Wandering Aimlessly
            United States
            Member #25360
            November 5, 2005
            4461 Posts
            Posted: January 31, 2007, 5:01 am - IP Logged

Let me make sure I understand correctly. For $1 I can buy a ticket and have a chance at the standard prize offered by a game. For another $1 the state is offering a chance  at a secondary prize? Why would I spend twice as much money to not get twice as many tickets and twice as many chances at the  real prize? It sounds like you already know it's a sucker bet.

Agree.  That was my thinking on the subject.  If they offer a free second chance, by asking players to mail their tickets to the lottery for a later drawing, the player has nothing to lose.  Not sure if I'm allowed to copy this on LP, but this is what prompted my poll, although I was referring to all the lottery games.  In this case, they are not asking for more money, which I incorrectly stated when I began the above poll.  From Florida's web site:

If we offered second-chance drawings -- entries into bonus drawings for prizes of cash, merchandise, trips, etc. -- on all non-winning $1 Scratch-off games, would you play the $1 Scratch-off games more often?

Yes
            No
            Maybe, depends on the prizes

Wandering Aimlessly
              United States
              Member #25360
              November 5, 2005
              4461 Posts
              Posted: January 31, 2007, 5:08 am - IP Logged

BTW, did you tell the company how much you appreciated the ice bucket or did you tell them politely to place it up their ice ?

DoubleDown, ya never know, it might come in handy someday. My toilet's been backing up lately.

California
                United States
                Member #46824
                October 1, 2006
                270 Posts
                Posted: January 31, 2007, 10:04 am - IP Logged

KY Floyd....is the above your opinion of the Powerplay option with Powerball?

United States
                  Member #30470
                  January 17, 2006
                  10390 Posts
                  Posted: January 31, 2007, 10:20 am - IP Logged

Going by what they sent you, Justxploring, I don't think they're tlking about players spending an extra dollar:

If we offered second-chance drawings -- entries into bonus drawings for prizes of cash, merchandise, trips, etc. -- on all non-winning $1 Scratch-off games, would you play the $1 Scratch-off games more often?

Yes
                  No

Doesn't sound like they're asking for another dollar, just ewould you play if...... 

I think they're just trying to find out if the Second Chance gimmick would generate more $1 scratcher sales. I'm saying that because it sounds like they're wanting to copy what Illinois (and other states) do "verbatim".

Lep

Wandering Aimlessly
                    United States
                    Member #25360
                    November 5, 2005
                    4461 Posts
                    Posted: January 31, 2007, 7:16 pm - IP Logged

Going by what they sent you, Justxploring, I don't think they're tlking about players spending an extra dollar:

Yes
                    No

Doesn't sound like they're asking for another dollar, just ewould you play if...... 

I think they're just trying to find out if the Second Chance gimmick would generate more $1 scratcher sales. I'm saying that because it sounds like they're wanting to copy what Illinois (and other states) do "verbatim".

Yes, Coin Toss, I think that's what I wrote in my last post.  I originally read it incorrectly.  BTW, they actually didn't send me anything.  It's a poll on the home page of the FL web site.

I also was thinking about Fantasy5 EZ Match.  You pay $1 to possibly win $300K or split it with as many as 17 other winners (17 people won one jackpot this week!)  and then they expect you to add a buck for a shot at $500.  It was very popular when it first began, but it's losing its fizzle.  Florida does have great marketing campaigns however. (speaking of FL, where's Floridian?? haven't heard from him/her lately)

I definitely like the idea of a second chance drawing if no additional money is required. However, I still would like cash.  In Dec the company I was working for gave us $50 gift cards for Sharper Image.  A hair dryer costs $50 on that web site!  I purchased a "reconditioned" blow dryer and a "reconditioned" alarm clock on the Sharper Image site. Shipping cost was outrageous. The alarm clock numbers are so bright and so huge, I feel as if I'm sunbathing. So I first threw a towel over the clock, but that sort of defeats the purpose of having a clock in the first place. I think I'll regift it. LOL  The blow dryer gets very hot and I think I saw smoke coming out of it this morning.  So, as aforementioned, just give me the darn cash to blow anyway I want.

United States
                      Member #30470
                      January 17, 2006
                      10390 Posts
                      Posted: January 31, 2007, 7:41 pm - IP Logged

In one of the Illinois Second Chance contests last year the winners were awarded their prizes at a White Sox game.  

Rick G would probably remember better than I do but I think there were ten $100,000 winners, or something like that, maybe one a week for 16 weeks.  

Re: Sharper Image- the founder, Richard Thalmyer (Sp?) started out with a small classified ad in Runner's World selling those "runner's atches" for $19.95 and turned that into Sharper Image. Some people just have the "touch".

Sorry you got a lemon from him, that's kind of rare.  

Lep

Wandering Aimlessly
                        United States
                        Member #25360
                        November 5, 2005
                        4461 Posts
                        Posted: January 31, 2007, 7:51 pm - IP Logged

In one of the Illinois Second Chance contests last year the winners were awarded their prizes at a White Sox game.  

Rick G would probably remember better than I do but I think there were ten $100,000 winners, or something like that, maybe one a week for 16 weeks.  

Re: Sharper Image- the founder, Richard Thalmyer (Sp?) started out with a small classified ad in Runner's World selling those "runner's atches" for $19.95 and turned that into Sharper Image. Some people just have the "touch".

Sorry you got a lemon from him, that's kind of rare.  

Well, maybe I'm just a light sleeper. Have you ever seen those "large digit" alarm clocks? Both items work okay (I was using a little poetic license in my post) but my point was that a gift certificate to the market or a $50 bill would have been appreciated more.  I can use the hair dryer on low and it's fine.

Still, I was happy I got anything at all.  It was only a comment on second chance prizes to emphasize that many people don't want what they win, so money is always the best prize IMHO.