Welcome Guest
You last visited May 27, 2017, 3:54 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Lottery a Sport?

Topic closed. 37 replies. Last post 10 years ago by pumpi76.

Page 2 of 3
PrintE-mailLink
San Diego
United States
Member #49197
January 23, 2007
18 Posts
Posted: February 4, 2007, 6:32 pm - IP Logged

FatLane

" if someone were to form some sort of competition where players are scored on how accurately they pick numbers, it could be considered a sport."

Remeber when you laughed and said that I was only kidding when I said........

It is believed that some activities directors in certain "institutions" have their patients play such games, but it's definitley not considered a "sport"

Scared

The whole debate about what is considered sports took a turn when when ESPN began televising the US Open Scrabble championships and spelling bees. Confused

guesser's avatar - Lottery-017.jpg

United States
    Member #41383
    June 16, 2006
    1969 Posts
    Posted: February 4, 2007, 9:27 pm - IP Logged

It's both a hobby and a sport.

Is Chess a sport ?

Is Golf ?

Is racing cars ?

WHO CARES ?

It's a hobby to see how many numbers you can hit, it's a sport or folks would not enter into the 'challenges' they have here, correct ? 

Actually, it's anything you want it to be: hobby, sport, job, whatever... 

Coin Toss's avatar - shape barbed.jpg
      Zeta Reticuli Star System
      United States
      Member #30470
      January 17, 2006
      10460 Posts
      Posted: February 4, 2007, 11:31 pm - IP Logged

So my time on the thumb-wrestling team in high school was in sports, then?

We asked for such neat jackets, a hand with the fingers curled in and the thumb up......... 

Wink

Those who run the lotteries love it when players look for consistency in something that's designed not to have any.

Lep

There is one and only one 'proven' system, and that is to book the action. No matter the game, let the players pick their own losers.

Blackie's avatar - Norfolk 20Sunrise%20Nov%2016.jpg
        Norfolk , Va
        United States
        Member #4541
        May 2, 2004
        25617 Posts
        Posted: February 4, 2007, 11:56 pm - IP Logged

The thrill of victory.    Winning.

The agony of defeat.  Losing.

Sport?

Good Luck,

Blackie.                           

United States
          Member #41383
          June 16, 2006
          1969 Posts
          Posted: February 5, 2007, 2:12 am - IP Logged

The thrill of victory.    Winning.

The agony of defeat.  Losing.

Sport?

Sure ! You tell me if you win the jackpot you won't be thrilled ?

And tell me you are not in agony if you don't hit a single number in a drawing.....

I can't remember the last time I hit less than 2 numbers......

Is Poker a sport ?

Is Bridge ?

Anything involving competition is a sport - trying to outguess a powerball machine is a sport, reading a book is not, but trying to read 7 novels in 7 days IS a sport......  Knitting is not, but it is when you are trying to beat a deadline.......  see what I mean ?

hypersoniq's avatar - 8ball
            Pennsylvania
            United States
            Member #1340
            April 6, 2003
            2450 Posts
            Posted: February 5, 2007, 5:44 am - IP Logged

Do you think of lottery as a sport?

No.

It's more of a game. Kind of like mad-libs, you fill in the blanks and the results make no sense. :-)

In a Sport or a Hobby, you get better at it with time.

Playing more than one ticket per game is betting against yourself.

Honduras
              Member #20982
              August 29, 2005
              4715 Posts
              Posted: February 5, 2007, 4:37 pm - IP Logged

Last night i was looking on CNN international how golf has propelled around the world and specially in south east asia...I have a very creative mind so i think different...And i thought how a sport that isn't a sport could capture everyones' attention and energy to those who like it...What caught my attention the most is the technology companies strive to introduce to the golf clubs...How they make the tip of the golf club have a special metal or design to that when the golfer strikes the ball, the golf ball spin less or travel less, this way when the ball descents on the ground it bounces less...I was amazed at all this and how people go crazy for the sport..LOttery is a sport (to me) that people go crazy about too, perhaps we may not gather on a golf course but we will gather in front of our tv's

I've always compared golf with the lottery...I see and dream one day when the companies strive to introduce lottery machines with innovative materials that will cause the lotto balls to collide or bounce less just the same way in golf...I also see the day when online lotteries is a common around the world..I also see the day when people decide to rob the lottery by having a hot system that's common and not robbing banks or stores....But i don't know if the world is ready to see the lotto become the common/poor's people stock market with a percentage of losers and winners..I've come to realize that the outside world is too evil; it hasn't mature yet (not saying that i am looking for a utopia either)....So do i think that the lottery is a sport..To me and only to me it will be a sport and very similar to golf too....This is nothing compared to conquering death, which we haven't done yet...

United States
                Member #41383
                June 16, 2006
                1969 Posts
                Posted: February 5, 2007, 11:56 pm - IP Logged

Last night i was looking on CNN international how golf has propelled around the world and specially in south east asia...I have a very creative mind so i think different...And i thought how a sport that isn't a sport could capture everyones' attention and energy to those who like it...What caught my attention the most is the technology companies strive to introduce to the golf clubs...How they make the tip of the golf club have a special metal or design to that when the golfer strikes the ball, the golf ball spin less or travel less, this way when the ball descents on the ground it bounces less...I was amazed at all this and how people go crazy for the sport..LOttery is a sport (to me) that people go crazy about too, perhaps we may not gather on a golf course but we will gather in front of our tv's

I've always compared golf with the lottery...I see and dream one day when the companies strive to introduce lottery machines with innovative materials that will cause the lotto balls to collide or bounce less just the same way in golf...I also see the day when online lotteries is a common around the world..I also see the day when people decide to rob the lottery by having a hot system that's common and not robbing banks or stores....But i don't know if the world is ready to see the lotto become the common/poor's people stock market with a percentage of losers and winners..I've come to realize that the outside world is too evil; it hasn't mature yet (not saying that i am looking for a utopia either)....So do i think that the lottery is a sport..To me and only to me it will be a sport and very similar to golf too....This is nothing compared to conquering death, which we haven't done yet...

They are making $700 drivers and selling them to folks that think this will turn them into a scratch golfer overnight, and it won't.

Peoples' mentalities for things like this are the same as those that think that by buying a radar detector that they won't get speeding tickets anymore, or by buying an SUV that they are immune from getting stick or crashing on ice or in snow...

As far as the lottery is concerned, at least Powerball: it's pretty random, don't you think ?  If it got to the point where nobody hit it in 6 months, I could see people start wondering why it has not (fix ?) and playing LESS...

Coin Toss's avatar - shape barbed.jpg
                  Zeta Reticuli Star System
                  United States
                  Member #30470
                  January 17, 2006
                  10460 Posts
                  Posted: February 6, 2007, 1:08 am - IP Logged

How about this, to get couch potatoes outside and moving around:

Soccer Golf! It's like golf, with huge cups that will fit a soccer ball!

Smile  

Just an idea!

OK, for those who are saying lotto is a sport, consider:

"In this corner, from points unknown, with a sharpened pencil and some blank playslips...."

Those who run the lotteries love it when players look for consistency in something that's designed not to have any.

Lep

There is one and only one 'proven' system, and that is to book the action. No matter the game, let the players pick their own losers.

Greenwich, CT
                    United States
                    Member #4793
                    May 24, 2004
                    1822 Posts
                    Posted: February 6, 2007, 11:07 am - IP Logged

Coin Toss, I think Goccer could really catch on!

Lottery is absolutely a sport, always trying to learn and perfect the latest methods.  I work up quite a sweat on my Excel spreadsheets, too.

Coastal Georgia
                      United States
                      Member #2653
                      October 30, 2003
                      1866 Posts
                      Posted: February 6, 2007, 11:26 am - IP Logged

Lottery is and will always be a game.
                      But then again, so is poker, but it is televised on all the sports networks..

I so confuzed !!!

Greenwich, CT
                        United States
                        Member #4793
                        May 24, 2004
                        1822 Posts
                        Posted: February 6, 2007, 11:47 am - IP Logged

You have a right to be confused, doubledown!  haha.

I thought Webster's might shed some light on the subject....but here are a few of the entries:

an athletic activity requiring skill or physical prowess and often of a competitive nature, as racing, baseball, tennis, golf, bowling, wrestling, boxing, hunting, fishing, etc.

3.diversion; recreation; pleasant pastime.

7.something treated lightly or tossed about like a plaything.

Confused

justxploring's avatar - villiarna
                          Wandering Aimlessly
                          United States
                          Member #25360
                          November 5, 2005
                          4461 Posts
                          Posted: February 6, 2007, 11:52 am - IP Logged

I guess there's a fine line that separates the 2, although I think it's a lot wider.  There is a Game channel on TV and I doubt if Match Game or Lingo would ever air on ESPN.  Maybe "sport" depends on how you personally play it.  I suppose the same goes for "athlete."  If someone told me I was going to meet an athlete, I'd picture someone who is lean and muscular, eats right and works out hard every day. I don't need to list the so-called sports that have lots of overweight, older men (like golf) who could never run around a track with even the worst track & field competitor.  I don't know how the lottery can be considered a sport at all when there is no competition.  Okay, many people here will say we are playing against the odds and the other people who buy tickets, and those with systems will say it's a skill. However, look at the people who win!  90 year olds who call out "give me a QP tonight." Unless it's not random and your personal efforts can have an effect on the end result, I don't think it's a sport. Actually, what I just wrote would mean that Chess is a sport, since it takes a lot of concentration and planning.  I just can't picture this conversation:  Doctor: "Mrs. Jones, you need to get some exercise. Do you participate in any sports?" Patient: "Sure, I go to the market twice a week and buy lottery tickets."

United States
                            Member #41383
                            June 16, 2006
                            1969 Posts
                            Posted: February 6, 2007, 2:33 pm - IP Logged

From Wikipedia: 

Sport is an activity that is governed by a set of rules or customs and often engaged in competitively. Used by itself, sports commonly refer to activities where the physical capabilities of the competitor are the sole or primary determiner of the outcome (winning or losing), but the term is also used to include activities such as mind sports and motor sports where mental acuity or equipment quality are major factors.

Honduras
                              Member #20982
                              August 29, 2005
                              4715 Posts
                              Posted: February 6, 2007, 2:52 pm - IP Logged

Nascar and motorcycle racing is a sport and what do you do in there? "You wish": YOu wish for your particular car or motorcycle or eightennwheeler (germany) win...Same thing with the lottery, you wish for your number to come up..When your car wins or horse wins you jump (is funny though because nascar is a sport but i don't think horse racing is a sport) and get emotional, etc, just the same way you would do if you won the lottery...But one point i'll like to add...LOtteries that are easy i consider them sports, like pick3, pick4, and a pick 5/25 but Mega millions i don't consider them a sport because there is only 1 winner and is hard and out of hundreds of millions of contestants only 1 becomes winner (similar to American Idol where out of thousands only 1 wins but in the lottery case there is hundreds of millions and only 1 is winner, well there is second prize winners which we can accept as first prize winners because is a  lot of money too (200,000), but still it doesn't make like 50 winners out of hundreds of million which i think should be the correct number of winners, even if it means that 49 of them win the 200K)...To me the percentage of winners compared to losers is what determines if a kind of lottery is a sport...Another example is WVa cash25, is a little easy but what makes it to me a sport is that it has the potential to make 10 winners in every draw, which is what makes it exciting..If you see hundreds of million wishing for a dream and only 1 wins it is not a sport because is what i call, detrimental/harmful wishing and is causing the person to waste his money on what becomes more like gambling, which would be harmful, just like alcohol....I am glad to hear everyones opinion on this subject...