Welcome Guest
You last visited December 9, 2016, 8:24 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Lottery a Sport?

Topic closed. 37 replies. Last post 10 years ago by pumpi76.

Page 3 of 3
PrintE-mailLink

Honduras
Member #20982
August 29, 2005
4715 Posts
Posted: February 6, 2007, 3:31 pm - IP Logged

the problem with pick3 and pick4 is that you don't come up ahead of the game so you are sort of speak gambling because you are losing money, and even though in nascar you wish for your car to win, if you don't win, you can say that you had a good time on your seat, but you can't say the same thing for the lottery, because you lose your money and then is not enjoyable...That's the problem with pick3 and pick4, that you lose your money and when you lose your money you don't have fun (even though, you argue that the money collected is going to go into education..And if you take this into account despite that you can't beat the game the money collected is going to education something that no sport will do, because one thing i don't like about athletes is they think they made off something others lack, with all their new money, specially nascar because they are not doing nothing just driving (don't know if driving the way they do it is exhausting), sorry guys but i feel that nascar drivers should be more humble, compasionate with the rest of people (soccer players are more of the people/a crowd while nascar and golf are more of a few) while the lottery money goes to a worthy cause but i am not going to go into that about nascar drivers...But like how i was saying, the lottery can become more than a sport because the money collected is going into education or a worthy cause, something that no sport will do...Also you have to take into account how much of the lottery money (what percentage) goes into education or a worthy cause....

CCHS13's avatar - chi jpeg.jpg
    Illinois
    United States
    Member #46704
    September 23, 2006
    3692 Posts
    Posted: February 6, 2007, 6:53 pm - IP Logged

A Hobby that has the potential to payout like sports

Men Lie Women Lie Numbers Dont

justxploring's avatar - villiarna
      Wandering Aimlessly
      United States
      Member #25360
      November 5, 2005
      4461 Posts
      Posted: February 6, 2007, 7:44 pm - IP Logged

TnTea, this is a good question.  Never wrote that until I just saw how many of us are posting with different ideas.  I guess this is one of those questions that has no right or wrong answer - no yes or no. I mean some people call a goldfish or a tarantula a pet.  You can't hug them, cuddle with them, they won't fetch, lick your face or purr, but it's still a pet to them.

Raven62's avatar - binary
        New Jersey
        United States
        Member #17843
        June 28, 2005
        49784 Posts
        Posted: February 6, 2007, 10:11 pm - IP Logged

For the most part it starts out as a:

Hobby: Activity or interest that is undertaken for pleasure or relaxation in one's spare time.

But at some point it becomes an:

Addiction: Doing or using something habitually or compulsively; a compulsive Lottery Player.

A mind once stretched by a new idea never returns to its original dimensions!

Coin Toss's avatar - shape barbed.jpg
          Zeta Reticuli Star System
          United States
          Member #30470
          January 17, 2006
          10353 Posts
          Posted: February 7, 2007, 12:34 am - IP Logged

Well, considering some of the defintions given in this thread for sport, we can use this one for

insanity: doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result 

Those who run the lotteries love it when players look for consistency in something that's designed not to have any.

Lep

There is one and only one 'proven' system, and that is to book the action. No matter the game, let the players pick their own losers.

guesser's avatar - Lottery-017.jpg

United States
            Member #41383
            June 16, 2006
            1969 Posts
            Posted: February 7, 2007, 12:42 am - IP Logged

I guess I'm an idiot and I just don't get it, because to me, car racing and horse racing IS a sport.

ANYTHING where there is competition involved: be it to beat the clock, beat someone to a start-finish line, win an award at a contest (think pie baking), anything you do that is 'against' something, be it a person or a standard, is a sport.

I beat the S&P 500 with my investments all the time, to me, that's a sport... 

NY
              United States
              Member #23835
              October 16, 2005
              3474 Posts
              Posted: February 7, 2007, 1:08 am - IP Logged

I think any reasonable definition of a sport requires some sort of physical prowess to be good at it.  If there's any confusion about whether or not it's a sport I'll suggest a simple question to ask yourself. Could Stephen Hawking kick my ass at it? If the answer is yes then it's not a sport.

Honduras
                Member #20982
                August 29, 2005
                4715 Posts
                Posted: February 7, 2007, 1:55 am - IP Logged

I think any reasonable definition of a sport requires some sort of physical prowess to be good at it.  If there's any confusion about whether or not it's a sport I'll suggest a simple question to ask yourself. Could Stephen Hawking kick my ass at it? If the answer is yes then it's not a sport.

And how do you know that stephen Hawkings can kick your butt on the lottery?I don't know if that definition holds true..Why i say this? Because stephen Hawkings is like the world's smartest guy (by the way the, smartest boy in the world is from India), Well actually for what i've been hearing stephen hawking is the number 2 smartest person in the planet...The number 1 smartest person they claim/rumor/say is the guy that propelled or invented (not sure which one of the two) super string theory..The smartest person of all times we all know is Albert Einstein but even Einstein is been rivaled by the guy that invented/propelled superstring theory...Being as smart as he is, and the number 2 smartest person on the planet, Hawkings could probably beat me in horse racing and nascar, the guy is like a gigantic supercomputer but of smartness...Despite that he can't move Hawking could find the horses or cars with the best odds or even more than that and beat me...Don't under-estimate Stephen Hawkings...When i look at some physics or math, i contemplate (is the correct word) how smart some people can get, and contemplate something i could never accomplish...There are things i could never do and the complex math stephen hawking works with is one of  them....