Welcome Guest
You last visited December 9, 2016, 12:40 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Illinois Gets raffle

Topic closed. 20 replies. Last post 10 years ago by Rick G.

Page 1 of 2
PrintE-mailLink
Coin Toss's avatar - shape barbed.jpg
Zeta Reticuli Star System
United States
Member #30470
January 17, 2006
10353 Posts
Posted: February 5, 2007, 12:54 am - IP Logged

St. Patrick's Day Millionaire Raffle

The Illinois Lottery is very excited to launch its newest promotion, the St. Patrick’s Day MILLIONAIRE RAFFLE!  This promotion gives our players the best odds of winning a million dollars ever offered by the Illinois Lottery.  Tickets go on sale Monday February 5, 2007.

http://www.illinoislottery.com/Raffle/Index.htm 

Those who run the lotteries love it when players look for consistency in something that's designed not to have any.

Lep

There is one and only one 'proven' system, and that is to book the action. No matter the game, let the players pick their own losers.

Rick G's avatar - avatar 1766.jpg
    FEMA Region V Camp #21
    United States
    Member #520
    July 27, 2002
    5699 Posts
    Posted: February 5, 2007, 1:48 pm - IP Logged

St. Patrick's Day Millionaire Raffle

The Illinois Lottery is very excited to launch its newest promotion, the St. Patrick’s Day MILLIONAIRE RAFFLE!  This promotion gives our players the best odds of winning a million dollars ever offered by the Illinois Lottery.  Tickets go on sale Monday February 5, 2007.

http://www.illinoislottery.com/Raffle/Index.htm 

Just got my ticket...# 0008897.  Not a bad pace for sales...9000 tickets in 5 hours.  I was surprised that the ticket number was 7 digits long.  They said only 500,000 tickets would be sold so what's with the extra digit?

Posted 4/6:  IL Pick 3 midday and evening until they hit:  555, 347 (str8).

United States
      Member #30470
      January 17, 2006
      10353 Posts
      Posted: February 5, 2007, 3:47 pm - IP Logged

Good question!

Those who run the lotteries love it when players look for consistency in something that's designed not to have any.

Lep

There is one and only one 'proven' system, and that is to book the action. No matter the game, let the players pick their own losers.

United States
        Member #30470
        January 17, 2006
        10353 Posts
        Posted: February 5, 2007, 7:08 pm - IP Logged

Just got my ticket...# 0008897.  Not a bad pace for sales...9000 tickets in 5 hours.  I was surprised that the ticket number was 7 digits long.  They said only 500,000 tickets would be sold so what's with the extra digit?

Rick

Suffice it to say I'm a 'wee bit' south of you  - (closer to Nashville, TN than Chicago!)

We go to the store today and there's a flyer for the Raffle on the scratcher vending machines. OK, they're not selling the tickets from the machine. So we ask the clerk who sells the lottery tickets about raffle tickets, and she says, "What raffle tickets?"

Bang Head

Lep

FEMA Region V Camp #21
          United States
          Member #520
          July 27, 2002
          5699 Posts
          Posted: February 6, 2007, 10:02 am - IP Logged

Rick

Suffice it to say I'm a 'wee bit' south of you  - (closer to Nashville, TN than Chicago!)

We go to the store today and there's a flyer for the Raffle on the scratcher vending machines. OK, they're not selling the tickets from the machine. So we ask the clerk who sells the lottery tickets about raffle tickets, and she says, "What raffle tickets?"

Bang Head

My store guy asked ME if I wanted one.   I hope you were finally able to get one. 

CCHS13's avatar - chi jpeg.jpg
            Illinois
            United States
            Member #46704
            September 23, 2006
            3692 Posts
            Posted: February 6, 2007, 10:18 am - IP Logged

Got me one too Rick G  #0018320  Yes Nod

Good luck to us

And Coin Toss make your retailer aware it is not

a scratch off type of ticket it prints out of the machine

just like the other paper tickets

Men Lie Women Lie Numbers Dont

FEMA Region V Camp #21
              United States
              Member #520
              July 27, 2002
              5699 Posts
              Posted: February 6, 2007, 12:07 pm - IP Logged

Update...just got back from my retailer and he said they sold 150,000 tickets yesterday.  Get your tickets fast because it looks like they'll be sold out in three days.

United States
                Member #30470
                January 17, 2006
                10353 Posts
                Posted: February 6, 2007, 7:39 pm - IP Logged

Got one! 0023851

I went to a neighboring town, a gas station - convenience store that gets a lot of lotto action.

On the ticket it says

DRAWING MAY BE POSTPONED IF ALL NUMBERS ARE NOT SOLD

Mrs Coin Toss was back at the first dotr I mentioned today and asked if they had raffle tickets, they still didn't know anything. But this is rich - on the side of their scratcher vending machine there's a flyer for the raffle that's probably intended for the clerks- on the bottom it says:

Always ask for the sale, it works!

Lep

FEMA Region V Camp #21
                  United States
                  Member #520
                  July 27, 2002
                  5699 Posts
                  Posted: February 7, 2007, 9:39 am - IP Logged

Update...just got back from my retailer and he said they sold 150,000 tickets yesterday.  Get your tickets fast because it looks like they'll be sold out in three days.

Correction....my retailer was wrong (at the time he told me only 15,000 tickets had been sold, not 150,000.)

There are 469,900 tickets left.  It's on the top of their results page.  Sorry about that. 

United States
                    Member #30470
                    January 17, 2006
                    10353 Posts
                    Posted: February 7, 2007, 10:31 am - IP Logged

Hmm, possible play,

Illinois  2-7-07

150  1500

Thanks Rick, and Linda! 

Lep

Sunny California
                      United States
                      Member #40295
                      May 31, 2006
                      7712 Posts
                      Posted: February 7, 2007, 11:33 am - IP Logged

Coin Toss,what's up with all these raffles? Now I hear CA has one though I haven't been to the store recently to see what it's all about. Is this an incentive to get people to play more? Are sales down across the country? Just curious!

Rick,that picture just keeps cracking me up!

FEMA Region V Camp #21
                        United States
                        Member #520
                        July 27, 2002
                        5699 Posts
                        Posted: February 7, 2007, 1:03 pm - IP Logged

Coin Toss,what's up with all these raffles? Now I hear CA has one though I haven't been to the store recently to see what it's all about. Is this an incentive to get people to play more? Are sales down across the country? Just curious!

Rick,that picture just keeps cracking me up!

Thanks lottolaughs...the pic was created by truecritic.  Pretty cool, huh?

My take on the raffle craze is that the state can get a large sum of money in a short period of time, and most of them offer the player much better odds so it's a win-win situation.

For example, the IL raffle is taking in 10 million and giving out 5 million in prizes...50% of the win pool to be returned to the bettors.  A cool 5 million profit for the state in about a month.  I'm hoping the state lotteries see the value of this new approach and take their lotteries off the selling block.

Having a chance (actually 4 chances) to win $1,000,000 out of 500,000 tickets sold beats the chances of the jackpot games hands down.

Sunny California
                          United States
                          Member #40295
                          May 31, 2006
                          7712 Posts
                          Posted: February 7, 2007, 1:09 pm - IP Logged

I see now. When did this all start? It seems to me you're right,especially profit wise for the states. And for the lucky ones who get a ticket,better odds. Makes sense. Thanks Rick!

And great job,truecritic! Hilarious!  LOL

FEMA Region V Camp #21
                            United States
                            Member #520
                            July 27, 2002
                            5699 Posts
                            Posted: February 7, 2007, 1:31 pm - IP Logged

I see now. When did this all start? It seems to me you're right,especially profit wise for the states. And for the lucky ones who get a ticket,better odds. Makes sense. Thanks Rick!

And great job,truecritic! Hilarious!  LOL

Brenda, I think PA has been doing it for a while but it has caught on nation-wide in the last six months or so.  I was surprised that it took IL as long as it did.

The down-side is that a ticket costs $20 (some states have had different ticket cost / payoffs / number of tickets sold).  But IMHO, subtracting that sum from your budget on other games makes sense for the player.  A typical 5/39 game has  over 575,000 combinations and you are very rarely guaranteed a jackpot of $1 mil. and in those cases there is a good chance you'll have to split that $1 mil.

Sunny California
                              United States
                              Member #40295
                              May 31, 2006
                              7712 Posts
                              Posted: February 7, 2007, 1:39 pm - IP Logged

So it's all pretty new,huh? I still think it's a great idea and hope it's here to stay. 

I just took a look on our Calif. site here and it says tickets are $5.00 a number. There's 5,000,000 tickets being sold and as of this moment 4,693,157 are still available. Doesn't sound like it's caught fire yet,haha.