Welcome Guest
You last visited December 9, 2016, 4:13 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Where are the 50,000 members?

Topic closed. 19 replies. Last post 10 years ago by Jayhawk58.

Page 1 of 2
PrintE-mailLink
stavros's avatar - avatar 6898.gif
Florida
United States
Member #6147
August 8, 2004
1396 Posts
Posted: February 6, 2007, 1:51 pm - IP Logged

I was just wondering why most of the posts on LP are by the same people everyday. Not that I mind the same people posting every day, there's a lot of valuable information and ideas that are shared here daily that I look forward to. But,  where are the other 49,900 members?

Good Luck!

Stavros

emilyg's avatar - cat anm.gif

United States
    Member #14
    November 9, 2001
    31361 Posts
    Posted: February 6, 2007, 1:55 pm - IP Logged

I was just wondering why most of the posts on LP are by the same people everyday. Not that I mind the same people posting every day, there's a lot of valuable information and ideas that are shared here daily that I look forward to. But,  where are the other 49,900 members?

Lurking

love to nibble those micey feet.

Todd's avatar - Cylon 2.gif
      Chief Bottle Washer
      New Jersey
      United States
      Member #1
      May 31, 2000
      23274 Posts
      Posted: February 6, 2007, 2:23 pm - IP Logged

That's an interesting notion, let's see how correct you are.

Take a wild guess:  How many different members have posted to the forums in the past few days;  let's say, since the 1st of February?

Take a guess based on your gut feeling, don't be cheap and try to browse through the forums figuring it out. 

Based on your "other 49,900 members" remark you seem to be saying that it's 100 -- is that your final guess?

Check the State Lottery Report Card
      What grade did your lottery earn?

Sign the Petition for True Lottery Drawings
      Help eliminate computerized drawings!

guesser's avatar - Lottery-017.jpg

United States
        Member #41383
        June 16, 2006
        1969 Posts
        Posted: February 6, 2007, 2:26 pm - IP Logged

It's not just here, it's everywhere on the net.

I am active on quite a few forums, some of them boast of having 100,000 'members', but there are quite a few people with 2, 3, 4 or more identities, but also, some folks forget their userid's, passwords AND the original e-mail account they used to sign up with may no longer be valid, so they have no choice but to come up with a new userid name.

And, some people have a life, too.   LOL 

Greenwich, CT
          United States
          Member #4793
          May 24, 2004
          1822 Posts
          Posted: February 6, 2007, 2:26 pm - IP Logged

In the islands, under the shade, sipping a martini, relishing in their lottery win.

Florida
            United States
            Member #6147
            August 8, 2004
            1396 Posts
            Posted: February 6, 2007, 2:44 pm - IP Logged

Take a wild guess:  How many different members have posted to the forums in the past few days;  let's say, since the 1st of February?

Take a guess based on your gut feeling, don't be cheap and try to browse through the forums figuring it out. 

Based on your "other 49,900 members" remark you seem to be saying that it's 100 -- is that your final guess?

Todd, my 49,900 members comment was just a wild guestimate and, albeit, an exaggeration.  I really have no idea how many individuals have posted.  I was stating that, to me, we have a core group of people who post frequently every day and that the actual number of posters was no where near 50,000.  Sure, 50,000 posters would be an unrealistic number.  I was hoping for some responses from the people who belong but do not post.  Enlighten me. Tell me the acual number of individual posters we have had in the past few days.

Good Luck!

Stavros

Coastal Georgia
              United States
              Member #2653
              October 30, 2003
              1866 Posts
              Posted: February 6, 2007, 3:20 pm - IP Logged

I will take a W.A.G. and say that the number of different posters in the last six days is :

How close am I , Todd ?

SirMetro's avatar - center
                East of Atlanta
                United States
                Member #6191
                August 11, 2004
                1389 Posts
                Posted: February 6, 2007, 4:00 pm - IP Logged

Think of this site like a newspaper. For example, the Atlanta Journal/Constitution (also lovingly known as the Atlanta Urinal/Constipation due to it's liberal slant) has a subscription base close to a million (equate subscription base to be similiar to online membership). Now, consider this, just how huge would that paper become if each and every reader posted an article of say 500 letters. Also consider, many utilize this for informational purposes. Also consider that there are a huge number of what I would equate to being as high as 40% of the subscribed members that are not even members that come here to look around. Thats roughly an additional 20,000 other people in addition to those who are signed up as members (a member can be either paying and non-paying).

So consider this, posts such as Emily's faithfull followers, Lucky's and Mike's listing and all the others who post, like a newspaper, they are the contributing journalist that help drive and maintain the interest for all those who simply want to browse the paper (aka LotteryPost). And those who don't post, well, they too are gathering the great information that is being shared. I for one have around 200 emails from those who are members here that I have shared electronic files with. And a good many of them don't post on here.

So think of it like this. The regulars who post here are the faithfull journalist who provide those of us who come here to read with quality information and ideas that we can take and apply towards the games we like to play.

At least that is what I think.

Good Luck to all,

Sir Metro

PS: My guess for the estimated number of different people actually posting as of Feb 1 would be roughly between 1/4% to 1/2% of the total subscribed members (125 to 250 individuals) and I would venture to guess that perhaps as many as a whole 1% (500 different individuals) may have posted within any given month on average.

Florida
                  United States
                  Member #6147
                  August 8, 2004
                  1396 Posts
                  Posted: February 6, 2007, 4:08 pm - IP Logged

SirMetro.....good analogy.  Makes sense!

Good Luck!

Stavros

Sunny California
                    United States
                    Member #40295
                    May 31, 2006
                    7712 Posts
                    Posted: February 6, 2007, 4:18 pm - IP Logged

Hi stavros!

I,too,started a thread like this awhile back cuz I was wondering the same thing. You'd think the boards would be jam packed full everyday with such a healthy subscription list but everyone made good points here,especially Sir Metro.(never thought of it like a newspaper but now that you think about it.....) I've noticed how much people come and go and I've only been here 8 months! There's quite a few folks who we never hear from anymore who were quite active when I first joined. But there will always be newcomers to take their place. After all,if you're a lottery fan you will come here and stay because there are no other lottery forums as great and active as this one!

Sunny California
                      United States
                      Member #40295
                      May 31, 2006
                      7712 Posts
                      Posted: February 6, 2007, 4:40 pm - IP Logged

I just noticed we lost LottoVantage. He has taken his StatPath charts off the site. His blog says his last post was Sun.

He will be missed dearly.  Unhappy

California
                        United States
                        Member #46824
                        October 1, 2006
                        270 Posts
                        Posted: February 6, 2007, 5:08 pm - IP Logged

Todd...how about a second number, how many members have come to the site say since January 1st?  This would give us an indication of just how many people are inter-active users, i.e those who have posted in recently and those that are passive users, they just read the posts.

My guess on posters would be 1500.

Guess on total members since January 1st is 10,000

justxploring's avatar - villiarna
                          Wandering Aimlessly
                          United States
                          Member #25360
                          November 5, 2005
                          4461 Posts
                          Posted: February 6, 2007, 5:08 pm - IP Logged

I will take a W.A.G. and say that the number of different posters in the last six days is :

How close am I , Todd ?

I was going to guess 666.  Red Devil

Todd's avatar - Cylon 2.gif
                            Chief Bottle Washer
                            New Jersey
                            United States
                            Member #1
                            May 31, 2000
                            23274 Posts
                            Posted: February 6, 2007, 5:27 pm - IP Logged

Hi stavros!

I,too,started a thread like this awhile back cuz I was wondering the same thing. You'd think the boards would be jam packed full everyday with such a healthy subscription list but everyone made good points here,especially Sir Metro.(never thought of it like a newspaper but now that you think about it.....) I've noticed how much people come and go and I've only been here 8 months! There's quite a few folks who we never hear from anymore who were quite active when I first joined. But there will always be newcomers to take their place. After all,if you're a lottery fan you will come here and stay because there are no other lottery forums as great and active as this one!

From your perspective it may seem like a lot of turnover, but relative to other sites on the Internet, it is not.  Most forums do not have members still posting after seven years, and most forums do not have the immensity and consistency of members posting on a daily basis.  And that's not mentioning the tens of thousands of people who visit Lottery Post every hour for information.

The forum is an important part of Lottery Post, and that's the way people get to know one another and answer questions, but that is not my only reason for creating Lottery Post.  The vision was never just a forum with other stuff attached.  The vision of Lottery Post is a center of lottery activity, with a healthy and vibrant forum.  I believe I have accomplished that, and I am continuing to expand Lottery Post all the time.

If people want to stop by and never post on the forums, that's fine.  If one day they decide to join the discussion, that's even better.  If they want to post their predictions on the predictions board, that is awesome.  But there's no pressure to doo anything other than what each individual wants to do.

Lastly, I will challenge the members here, that if you want to continue expanding the membership, and keeping people coming back every day, then you and I have to:

• Welcome and embrace new ideas
                            • Get rid of personal attacks and throw our egos out the window
                            • Understand that nobody has all the answers
                            • Resist forming cliques shun attacks behind peoples' backs
                            • Congratulate people when they win, even if we disagree on the methods used to achieve the win
                            • Say "thank you" in over-abundance
                            • Post feedback on each and every thread where we get some useful information, every single time we do it, even if it is only to say "thanks"

I can personally do these things (and I do indeed try every day to do these things), but that has almost no effect compared to the value of everyone doing these things, all the time.

For example, if more people would have done the last three things on LottoVantage's threads he would still be here posting today.  It is everyone's loss that he is not.

Check the State Lottery Report Card
                            What grade did your lottery earn?

Sign the Petition for True Lottery Drawings
                            Help eliminate computerized drawings!

MADDOG10's avatar - smoke
                              Beautiful Florida
                              United States
                              Member #5709
                              July 18, 2004
                              20119 Posts
                              Posted: February 6, 2007, 5:57 pm - IP Logged

From your perspective it may seem like a lot of turnover, but relative to other sites on the Internet, it is not.  Most forums do not have members still posting after seven years, and most forums do not have the immensity and consistency of members posting on a daily basis.  And that's not mentioning the tens of thousands of people who visit Lottery Post every hour for information.

The forum is an important part of Lottery Post, and that's the way people get to know one another and answer questions, but that is not my only reason for creating Lottery Post.  The vision was never just a forum with other stuff attached.  The vision of Lottery Post is a center of lottery activity, with a healthy and vibrant forum.  I believe I have accomplished that, and I am continuing to expand Lottery Post all the time.

If people want to stop by and never post on the forums, that's fine.  If one day they decide to join the discussion, that's even better.  If they want to post their predictions on the predictions board, that is awesome.  But there's no pressure to doo anything other than what each individual wants to do.

Lastly, I will challenge the members here, that if you want to continue expanding the membership, and keeping people coming back every day, then you and I have to:

• Welcome and embrace new ideas
                              • Get rid of personal attacks and throw our egos out the window
                              • Understand that nobody has all the answers
                              • Resist forming cliques shun attacks behind peoples' backs
                              • Congratulate people when they win, even if we disagree on the methods used to achieve the win
                              • Say "thank you" in over-abundance
                              • Post feedback on each and every thread where we get some useful information, every single time we do it, even if it is only to say "thanks"

I can personally do these things (and I do indeed try every day to do these things), but that has almost no effect compared to the value of everyone doing these things, all the time.

For example, if more people would have done the last three things on LottoVantage's threads he would still be here posting today.  It is everyone's loss that he is not.

Absolutely, I couldn't agree more. I for one am guilty of some of those things and that will change...!              Thanks.

"  When Injustice Becomes Law, Resistance Becomes Duty "