Welcome Guest
You last visited December 5, 2016, 9:46 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Numbers Hitting After You Stop

Topic closed. 22 replies. Last post 10 years ago by LOTTOMIKE.

Page 1 of 2
PrintE-mailLink
justxploring's avatar - villiarna
Wandering Aimlessly
United States
Member #25360
November 5, 2005
4461 Posts
Posted: February 12, 2007, 4:20 pm - IP Logged

Have you ever bet a number several times and, after you stop playing it, you find out it hit one evening? 

I am referring to any lottery game, especially the jackpot (6 number) and pick-5 games.  However, sometime people play the same pick-4 and pick-3 numbers all the time so feel free to comment! 

I hear stories like this all the time, but it's so unlikely it will happen, considering the odds, especially if you are playing PB & MM.  On the other hand, each draw is a different game, so your set of numbers has the same chance of being drawn as any other.

Coin Toss's avatar - shape barbed.jpg
    Zeta Reticuli Star System
    United States
    Member #30470
    January 17, 2006
    10348 Posts
    Posted: February 12, 2007, 5:23 pm - IP Logged

Oh, heck yeah- constantly! 

We're hardly ever home to see the midday draw...twice this year already I've had av 'hunch' to play a pick 3 for that night's evening draw, only to find out it had hit at midday. 

On the Pick 5 games and beyond, it's nice knowing your numbers if tyou play the same ticket all the time, but it just doesn't seem to hit when you do that.

I think every lottery book should have at least a brief chapter that says: DO NOT 'FALL IN LOVE' WITH ANY SET OF NUMBERS!

I remember when the printer won $43,000,000 in the Illinois lottery (early 1980's or so), the winning numbers were 2-10-26-29-30-43. Well a horoscope magazine one time had listed 'lucky numbers for Gemini as 2-3-10-29-30-43 - so like an idiot, when I first moved to Illinois and could play lotto (had moved here from Nevada), I played those numbers. Then one day someone said, "Those are really close to the numbers that priner in Chicago won with." I said, "Yeah, but they're 'lucky' for Gemini, too." The person taling to me said, "Do you really expect most of the same set to hit again?"

Green laugh

give me a DUH! 

Doing the same thing over and over while expecting a different result is a form of insanity

Wink

Those who run the lotteries love it when players look for consistency in something that's designed not to have any.

Lep

There is one and only one 'proven' system, and that is to book the action. No matter the game, let the players pick their own losers.

Wandering Aimlessly
      United States
      Member #25360
      November 5, 2005
      4461 Posts
      Posted: February 12, 2007, 5:26 pm - IP Logged

"Doing the same thing over and over while expecting a different result is a form of insanity"

OMG!  Then this is a picture of me.  Crazy

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
        mid-Ohio
        United States
        Member #9
        March 24, 2001
        19825 Posts
        Posted: February 12, 2007, 5:35 pm - IP Logged

I have seen numbers hit that I thought I would have played had I spent a little extra because of a hunch I thought I had before the drawing.  So as an experiment I started recording such combinations and numbers and checking them after the drawings.  In no case would I have matched all the winning numbers but there were a few times that I would have matched 5of6 or 4of5 in a pick5 or pick6 game but the payouts would not have covered my cost over time.  Quite a few times the numbers I thought I would have played were just close to the winning numbers.  I've never had a similar experience with either the PB or MM lotteries.

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning ticket * 

Evil Looking       

United States
          Member #30470
          January 17, 2006
          10348 Posts
          Posted: February 12, 2007, 5:39 pm - IP Logged

Justxploring, I think that applies to everyone at some time and to a lot of us here a lot of the time- especailly drawing days!

I remember in the Army pulling a duty called Head Count, they wanted to know how many people ate each meal in that mess hall that day. So you're sitting at a table just counting people as they walk through, and invariably guys who had like 18 years in the Army (and thus had eaten the same things for breakfast every day for every one of those years) wouls shout, "Hey Head Count, what's for breakfast this morning?"

I walsy wondered if that was an example of never giving up hope (that this morning may be doifferent) or just plain going through life "unconscious"- Sarge, how can you possibly not know it's the same things they've had for breakfast since 1776?

Those who run the lotteries love it when players look for consistency in something that's designed not to have any.

Lep

There is one and only one 'proven' system, and that is to book the action. No matter the game, let the players pick their own losers.

luckieStarr's avatar - darven
            philadelphia,PA
            United States
            Member #27080
            November 26, 2005
            507 Posts
            Posted: February 13, 2007, 1:25 pm - IP Logged

Sometimes it seems the only time the number will hit is after I stop playing it.  I am trying to stick with "129" which are my birthday numbers.

Some people have the patience to keep one or two numbers in until they hit, but if I spend too much on trying to hit one number it isn't really worth it.

guesser's avatar - Lottery-017.jpg

United States
              Member #41383
              June 16, 2006
              1969 Posts
              Posted: February 13, 2007, 3:18 pm - IP Logged

C'mon now folks, EVERY number is going to hit in due time, it's the nature of the game.

Luckily, I never play numbers so I don't have to worry about it. 

United States
                Member #30477
                January 17, 2006
                110 Posts
                Posted: February 13, 2007, 3:25 pm - IP Logged

C'mon now folks, EVERY number is going to hit in due time, it's the nature of the game.

HUH?

United States
                  Member #30470
                  January 17, 2006
                  10348 Posts
                  Posted: February 13, 2007, 6:42 pm - IP Logged

guesser

Somewhere on the board, maybe Pick 4, there's a post abput playing a set of numbers in Oklahoma that has not hit yet, like daily for 4 or 5 years.

The poster didn't say this, but adter that length of time, hitting it one day isn;t going to make things close to even.  

Lep

Thoth's avatar - binary
                    Findlay, Ohio
                    United States
                    Member #4855
                    May 28, 2004
                    400 Posts
                    Posted: February 13, 2007, 6:50 pm - IP Logged

I play mainly Pick 3...I can't count the number of times that I've stopped playing a number (straight) only to see it come up a few games to a week or so later.  I have some ideas for a strategy that tries to pick the numbers a week or so in advance.

~Probability=Odds in Motion~

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
                      mid-Ohio
                      United States
                      Member #9
                      March 24, 2001
                      19825 Posts
                      Posted: February 13, 2007, 7:12 pm - IP Logged

That may be true if you're talking about numbers instead of combinations, but unless you're playing a pick3 or pick4 game or some other game with less than 10,000 possible combinations, either you or the game won't be around long enough to see every combinations.

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning ticket * 

Evil Looking       

Wandering Aimlessly
                        United States
                        Member #25360
                        November 5, 2005
                        4461 Posts
                        Posted: February 13, 2007, 7:21 pm - IP Logged

What are you saying?  You don't play individual numbers?  You only play QPs?  You only buy scratchers?

By the way, it's not true that eventually all combinations will hit if you're talking about the jackpot games. There are millions and millions of possible combinations. So even if I was crazy enough to spend $100 a week for the next 30 years ($50 twice a week)  that's only a small fraction of the possibilities. 

(Oy!  Why the heck and I buying lottery tickets then? )        What?

Edit:  Just noticed RJOh pretty much wrote the same thing.  I started posting and got a phone call, so I'm about 15 minutes behind. LOL

JAP69's avatar - alas
                          South Carolina
                          United States
                          Member #6
                          November 4, 2001
                          8790 Posts
                          Posted: February 13, 2007, 7:27 pm - IP Logged

Have you ever bet a number several times and, after you stop playing it, you find out it hit one evening? 

I am referring to any lottery game, especially the jackpot (6 number) and pick-5 games.  However, sometime people play the same pick-4 and pick-3 numbers all the time so feel free to comment! 

I hear stories like this all the time, but it's so unlikely it will happen, considering the odds, especially if you are playing PB & MM.  On the other hand, each draw is a different game, so your set of numbers has the same chance of being drawn as any other.

Has not happen to me in jackpot games. Only pick 3 on a weekly basis as I have been leap froggin numbers lately.

Any how about having numbers picked and do not play emm.
                          My mother about 18 years ago had a set of numbers picked out for a 6 number lotto to play for that week. She did not play the set of numbers that week.

She had all 6 numbers for a jackpot win.

WHATT

guesser's avatar - Lottery-017.jpg

United States
                            Member #41383
                            June 16, 2006
                            1969 Posts
                            Posted: February 13, 2007, 7:51 pm - IP Logged

I don't play numbers, I play ages of numbers.

For example, If I think a number that has not hit in, say, 17 games will hit, I play whatever number is sitting in the 17th position. If two numbers are there, then I wheel both of them between different games, but not together. I DO NOT CARE what those numbers are sitting in the 17th position, that would only muck things up. I do this for all of the positions.

When you eliminate the 'number', then you eliminate the possibility of picking numbers that 'look pretty', or those that 'make sense'.  'Sense' has NOTHING to do with the lottery. 

If I would push myself to afford about $80 a drawing, there is zero question in my mind I'd bag a PB Pick 5 within 6 weeks- 2 months, but this is gambling: a game of chance, and a random one at that, I know when to say 'no' because nothing is a sure thing, if it was, most of us would have won it by now.

Wandering Aimlessly
                              United States
                              Member #25360
                              November 5, 2005
                              4461 Posts
                              Posted: February 13, 2007, 8:33 pm - IP Logged

"She had all 6 numbers for a jackpot win."

JAP69, this is exactly why I will only buy a quick pick for a jackpot game if I decide to spend any more money.  I don't want to dwell on what I shudda, wudda, cudda done and I know a situation like your Mom's would drive me crazy.  My "problem" is that my numbers haven't been for just 1 game or even 100.  I've played over 1,000 games with a couple of the combinations. I worked with a woman who used to bet the birthdays of her grandchildren all the time, but then she skipped one week and the numbers were drawn.  I know one other person who changed one number and got 5 out of 6, but would have won $15 million instead of $5,000.  So I know it happens. 

On the other hand, I should probably write in my will that I want someone to continue to play my numbers when I'm gone because eventually they will hit, maybe not in my lifetime, but some day!