Welcome Guest
You last visited December 7, 2016, 5:34 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

% of Population Which Play the Lottery?

Topic closed. 34 replies. Last post 10 years ago by WSN1.

Page 1 of 3
PrintE-mailLink

What % of the Population do you think actually plays the lottery at any level?

100% [ 0 ]  [0.00%]
95% [ 2 ]  [4.55%]
90% [ 4 ]  [9.09%]
85% [ 4 ]  [9.09%]
75% [ 5 ]  [11.36%]
60% [ 6 ]  [13.64%]
50% [ 4 ]  [9.09%]
40% [ 5 ]  [11.36%]
30% [ 2 ]  [4.55%]
Less than 30% [ 12 ]  [27.27%]
Total Valid Votes [ 44 ]  
Discarded Votes [ 1 ]  
Anywhere & Everywhere
United States
Member #10713
January 23, 2005
290 Posts
Posted: February 14, 2007, 4:24 pm - IP Logged

I would also, like to know why you made you pick your selection

dK

guesser's avatar - Lottery-017.jpg

United States
    Member #41383
    June 16, 2006
    1969 Posts
    Posted: February 14, 2007, 4:40 pm - IP Logged

Because unlike us, most people know the odds are astronomical.

There is a difference between 'playing the lottery', and 'playing the lottery'.

Do you mean folks that study it, or play the same numbers (birthdays, etc.) and play at least one game every drawing, or do you mean someone that sticks 10 gallons of gas in their car, runs in and buys a pack of smokes and 'oh by the way' snags a quick-pick at the same time ?   

JAP69's avatar - alas
      South Carolina
      United States
      Member #6
      November 4, 2001
      8790 Posts
      Posted: February 14, 2007, 5:00 pm - IP Logged

I went 90%

I would think that that percentage of the population have purchased at least one ticket in their life.

The other 10% are people who would not gamble at all.

MAGA

Anywhere & Everywhere
        United States
        Member #10713
        January 23, 2005
        290 Posts
        Posted: February 14, 2007, 6:49 pm - IP Logged

Because unlike us, most people know the odds are astronomical.

There is a difference between 'playing the lottery', and 'playing the lottery'.

Do you mean folks that study it, or play the same numbers (birthdays, etc.) and play at least one game every drawing, or do you mean someone that sticks 10 gallons of gas in their car, runs in and buys a pack of smokes and 'oh by the way' snags a quick-pick at the same time ?   

Guesser, I meant all levels, everyone, However, I would be interested to see your breakdown of both groups as subtotals

I personally think that about 80-90% of the population has played the lottery at some point in their life, for whatever reason and style of play and the other 10-20% dont play the lottery or just dont gamble at all.

dK

Sunny California
          United States
          Member #40295
          May 31, 2006
          7712 Posts
          Posted: February 14, 2007, 7:13 pm - IP Logged

I picked 75%. Probably between 75 and 80%. I know quite a few people just among my family, friends and relatives who never play the lottery. When I worked in my neighborhood liquor store years ago there were quite a few players, but the SAME few players all the time. I agree that 80 to 90 have probably played at least once in their life, but on a regular basis? That's a toughie. Crazy

I'm sure there's some data somewhere that can give you an idea.

Anywhere & Everywhere
            United States
            Member #10713
            January 23, 2005
            290 Posts
            Posted: February 14, 2007, 7:19 pm - IP Logged

I picked 75%. Probably between 75 and 80%. I know quite a few people just among my family, friends and relatives who never play the lottery. When I worked in my neighborhood liquor store years ago there were quite a few players, but the SAME few players all the time. I agree that 80 to 90 have probably played at least once in their life, but on a regular basis? That's a toughie. Crazy

I'm sure there's some data somewhere that can give you an idea.

I like your 75% estimate..and assessment. .I think this poll will have that as the median score. Yeah, im sure there are some studies recorded on the net, and maybe even within LP's archives that has these %s. hmmmm

United States
              Member #48769
              January 8, 2007
              20 Posts
              Posted: February 14, 2007, 7:36 pm - IP Logged

i picked less than 30% because i think that most people think that the odds are so high that it is a waste of money to play.  i am just going by my own life , none of my friends play .  i would guess that probably about 50-60% have played at least once.  i think that most of the lottery tickets are purchased by the same core group of people in a paticular area with a scattering of tickets purchased by new players .

Sunny California
                United States
                Member #40295
                May 31, 2006
                7712 Posts
                Posted: February 14, 2007, 8:14 pm - IP Logged

Couldn't seem to find an answer to the percentage question from a quick search on Google. It seems they judge more state by state then on the whole which would make sense. The more I think about this, the more curious I'm getting. Could be we come to find out we're all way off base!

Anywhere & Everywhere
                  United States
                  Member #10713
                  January 23, 2005
                  290 Posts
                  Posted: February 14, 2007, 8:20 pm - IP Logged

Well this is what I found from the following link: http://www.library.ca.gov/CRB/97/03/Chapt3.html

Lottery Players are Widespread. Lotteries are the most popular and broadly played form of gambling despite having the lowest payout. A large proportion, about 50 to 60 percent of adult Americans play legal lotteries in lottery states. Two-thirds of these play regularly, which means that about one-third of the adults are regular players. Heavy players are about 10 percent of all lottery players.12 The poor, minority, Catholic, undereducated, and middle-aged are all more likely to play.13 Two of the first 11 big winners in California were illegal immigrants.

There is substantial evidence that youths play the lottery, although they are forbidden by law. Studies have found large number of high schools kids playing lottery games. Some of these individuals have characteristics of pathological gamblers.14

The total number of all lottery players is probably greater then reflected in statistics because illegal lotteries still exist. They can exist because their payout ratio is much higher. State lotteries are a very unattractive gambling proposition as they return a relatively small amount of the money as prizes.

The Typical Individual Spends $100 Annually

Michigan
                    United States
                    Member #41047
                    June 10, 2006
                    1083 Posts
                    Posted: February 14, 2007, 8:20 pm - IP Logged

I agree with Jap69  i think 90% of the people at one time let it ride !!

Coin Toss's avatar - shape barbed.jpg
                      Zeta Reticuli Star System
                      United States
                      Member #30470
                      January 17, 2006
                      10351 Posts
                      Posted: February 14, 2007, 8:35 pm - IP Logged

WSN1

Interesting stuff but not everyone here agrees totally, sounds like it may have come from an anti-lottery or anti-gambling source.

I voted 40% going by the people we know (granted I'm in the northern tier of the "Bible Belt". Most people we know don't play at all (or say they don't Wink)

PS

Since living here, I can no longer ay "Bible Belt" with a straight face.

PPS

My 40% vote is meaning those who play regularly. As the consensus oin this thread states, I think most people have played at one time or another.

Those who run the lotteries love it when players look for consistency in something that's designed not to have any.

Lep

There is one and only one 'proven' system, and that is to book the action. No matter the game, let the players pick their own losers.

Sunny California
                        United States
                        Member #40295
                        May 31, 2006
                        7712 Posts
                        Posted: February 14, 2007, 8:35 pm - IP Logged

Well this is what I found from the following link: http://www.library.ca.gov/CRB/97/03/Chapt3.html

Lottery Players are Widespread. Lotteries are the most popular and broadly played form of gambling despite having the lowest payout. A large proportion, about 50 to 60 percent of adult Americans play legal lotteries in lottery states. Two-thirds of these play regularly, which means that about one-third of the adults are regular players. Heavy players are about 10 percent of all lottery players.12 The poor, minority, Catholic, undereducated, and middle-aged are all more likely to play.13 Two of the first 11 big winners in California were illegal immigrants.

There is substantial evidence that youths play the lottery, although they are forbidden by law. Studies have found large number of high schools kids playing lottery games. Some of these individuals have characteristics of pathological gamblers.14

The total number of all lottery players is probably greater then reflected in statistics because illegal lotteries still exist. They can exist because their payout ratio is much higher. State lotteries are a very unattractive gambling proposition as they return a relatively small amount of the money as prizes.

The Typical Individual Spends $100 Annually

Good info,WSN! Thanks! And very interesting. So even 75% is too high. But that page was dated in 1995 so can we really go by that today? Or did you find the rest of the data you stated from somewhere else?

Anywhere & Everywhere
                          United States
                          Member #10713
                          January 23, 2005
                          290 Posts
                          Posted: February 14, 2007, 9:02 pm - IP Logged

Good info,WSN! Thanks! And very interesting. So even 75% is too high. But that page was dated in 1995 so can we really go by that today? Or did you find the rest of the data you stated from somewhere else?

I think the source, I found is a little dated, considering that online gambling has grown dramatically over the last 10 years and younger people are getting involved, so I think it would still be higher than that data supports and if you read further in the link it alludes to that possiblity altering it's stats. So, I still think 75% is a good mean

LOTTOMIKE's avatar - cash money.jpg
                            Tennessee
                            United States
                            Member #7853
                            October 15, 2004
                            11338 Posts
                            Posted: February 14, 2007, 9:05 pm - IP Logged

i say 50 percent....

Anywhere & Everywhere
                              United States
                              Member #10713
                              January 23, 2005
                              290 Posts
                              Posted: February 14, 2007, 9:07 pm - IP Logged

WSN1

Interesting stuff but not everyone here agrees totally, sounds like it may have come from an anti-lottery or anti-gambling source.

I voted 40% going by the people we know (granted I'm in the northern tier of the "Bible Belt". Most people we know don't play at all (or say they don't Wink)

PS

Since living here, I can no longer ay "Bible Belt" with a straight face.

PPS

My 40% vote is meaning those who play regularly. As the consensus oin this thread states, I think most people have played at one time or another.

Coin Toss, Although I now live in the Bible Belt, I was born and raised in the windy city of Illinois