Welcome Guest
You last visited January 21, 2017, 8:34 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

% of Population Which Play the Lottery?

Topic closed. 34 replies. Last post 10 years ago by WSN1.

Page 2 of 3
PrintE-mailLink

What % of the Population do you think actually plays the lottery at any level?

100% [ 0 ]  [0.00%]
95% [ 2 ]  [4.55%]
90% [ 4 ]  [9.09%]
85% [ 4 ]  [9.09%]
75% [ 5 ]  [11.36%]
60% [ 6 ]  [13.64%]
50% [ 4 ]  [9.09%]
40% [ 5 ]  [11.36%]
30% [ 2 ]  [4.55%]
Less than 30% [ 12 ]  [27.27%]
Total Valid Votes [ 44 ]  
Discarded Votes [ 1 ]  
Sunny California
United States
Member #40295
May 31, 2006
7713 Posts
Posted: February 14, 2007, 9:10 pm - IP Logged

You're right, I always forget about online gambling! And the young people,yes, everything is geared towards them. Get 'em hooked while they're young! They ARE the ones that spend the money.

cps10's avatar - Lottery-004.jpg
    The Carolinas - Charlotte
    United States
    Member #21627
    September 12, 2005
    4138 Posts
    Posted: February 14, 2007, 9:22 pm - IP Logged

WSN1

Interesting stuff but not everyone here agrees totally, sounds like it may have come from an anti-lottery or anti-gambling source.

I voted 40% going by the people we know (granted I'm in the northern tier of the "Bible Belt". Most people we know don't play at all (or say they don't Wink)

PS

Since living here, I can no longer ay "Bible Belt" with a straight face.

PPS

My 40% vote is meaning those who play regularly. As the consensus oin this thread states, I think most people have played at one time or another.

CT

I agreed...I said 40%. For every person that plays the lottery, I know of 2 that don't. So that being said, that makes it about 33%, but 40% was close enough.

And I DO live in the Bible Belt...Fort Mill, SC...our neighborhood backs up to the old PTL of Jim & Tammy Faye Bakker fame.

The North Carolina Education Lottery - so much a joke that here are their mascots:

Stooges

Coin Toss's avatar - shape barbed.jpg
      Zeta Reticuli Star System
      United States
      Member #30470
      January 17, 2006
      10392 Posts
      Posted: February 15, 2007, 2:17 pm - IP Logged

You guys in the Bible Belt know what I mean, I'm sure. 

I'm thinking of those discount tobacco marts (Kentucky) that sell cigarettes, liquor, lottery tickets, and have flyers for the local churches in their windows.

And of the 26% of the U.S. population that still smokes, 99% of that 26% live in the Bible Belt.  

Those who run the lotteries love it when players look for consistency in something that's designed not to have any.

Lep

There is one and only one 'proven' system, and that is to book the action. No matter the game, let the players pick their own losers.

Anywhere & Everywhere
        United States
        Member #10713
        January 23, 2005
        290 Posts
        Posted: February 15, 2007, 2:21 pm - IP Logged

CT.....Hilarious!!!!

LOL

cps10's avatar - Lottery-004.jpg
          The Carolinas - Charlotte
          United States
          Member #21627
          September 12, 2005
          4138 Posts
          Posted: February 15, 2007, 2:22 pm - IP Logged

You guys in the Bible Belt know what I mean, I'm sure. 

I'm thinking of those discount tobacco marts (Kentucky) that sell cigarettes, liquor, lottery tickets, and have flyers for the local churches in their windows.

And of the 26% of the U.S. population that still smokes, 99% of that 26% live in the Bible Belt.  

Isn't that the truth? Here is a funny thing. I was at a Catholic church in Ohio and on their bulletin was advertisements for those tobacco, booze and lottery joints...was comical.

The North Carolina Education Lottery - so much a joke that here are their mascots:

Stooges

Anywhere & Everywhere
            United States
            Member #10713
            January 23, 2005
            290 Posts
            Posted: February 15, 2007, 2:24 pm - IP Logged

Isn't that the truth? Here is a funny thing. I was at a Catholic church in Ohio and on their bulletin was advertisements for those tobacco, booze and lottery joints...was comical.

Keith u & CT are getting Crunk! that was too funny! ROFL

justxploring's avatar - villiarna
              Wandering Aimlessly
              United States
              Member #25360
              November 5, 2005
              4461 Posts
              Posted: February 15, 2007, 4:41 pm - IP Logged

I voted 75%, but maybe I just want to convince myself that I'm not so different!  I meet people everyday who say they never buy tickets, but I'm guessing they might pick up a few when the jackpot is very high.  When Florida had that Raffle in Nov for New Year's Day, the 1,250,000 tickets were sold out in about a week. 

Regarding the article from the government, averages are deceiving.  Men & women walk on 2 legs.  Dogs, cats, horses and other animals walk on 4 legs.  So would that mean the average mammal walks on 3 legs? 

Thinking of...

NY
                United States
                Member #23835
                October 16, 2005
                3501 Posts
                Posted: February 15, 2007, 5:05 pm - IP Logged

I voted 75%, but maybe I just want to convince myself that I'm not so different!  I meet people everyday who say they never buy tickets, but I'm guessing they might pick up a few when the jackpot is very high.  When Florida had that Raffle in Nov for New Year's Day, the 1,250,000 tickets were sold out in about a week. 

Regarding the article from the government, averages are deceiving.  Men & women walk on 2 legs.  Dogs, cats, horses and other animals walk on 4 legs.  So would that mean the average mammal walks on 3 legs? 

Thinking of...

Florida has a population of about 16 million. As an average about 1 in 13 people bought one of the raffle tickets, but as you say, averages don't always tells us anything useful. In reality, at most 1 in 13 people bought a raffle ticket, but since plenty of people bought more than 1 less than 7% of people bought raffle tickets. It was probably less than 5%, which would work out to an average  of about 1.5 tickets for each person who bought any.

One thing useful we can figure from those numbers is that the people who say sales of raffle tickets show that the lotteries should offer more games with expensive tickets and better odds don't actually have enough data to prove it would make sense. There's no point in concentrating your marketing efforts on 5% of the population if you can offer a product that appeals to 30% of the population.  A few states have shown that they can't even sell a million or so tickets for that sort of game. By comparison, PB and MM states manage to average better than a million tickets every few days.

As far as overall percentages, I'd guess at about 25 or 30% might be regular players. Most of the people I know don't play regularly and many don't even play when MM reaches $200 million or more. OTOH, if it ever passes $500 million wouldn't be surprised if about 90%  of the population buys at least one ticket.

Raleigh NC
                  United States
                  Member #49814
                  February 15, 2007
                  158 Posts
                  Posted: February 15, 2007, 5:24 pm - IP Logged

I think the percentage is fifty or higher.People are looking for that american dream for a few dollars.Now if you excuse me i have to go buy a ticket.

Sunny California
                    United States
                    Member #40295
                    May 31, 2006
                    7713 Posts
                    Posted: February 15, 2007, 5:44 pm - IP Logged

Good one,cjones!

The more I think about it, yes, there are BILLIONS of dollars being spent on lotteries but NOT billions of people buying tickets, assuming the average customer spends more then a buck and as we all know, most do. So I'm tending to lean more towards the 50% range now or even lower, like cps said, probably around 40%.

Anywhere & Everywhere
                      United States
                      Member #10713
                      January 23, 2005
                      290 Posts
                      Posted: February 15, 2007, 7:06 pm - IP Logged

Good one,cjones!

The more I think about it, yes, there are BILLIONS of dollars being spent on lotteries but NOT billions of people buying tickets, assuming the average customer spends more then a buck and as we all know, most do. So I'm tending to lean more towards the 50% range now or even lower, like cps said, probably around 40%.

Well, upon further review of everyone's feedback from all over. I think certain communities alter the balance one way or the other. When I posed the question it was for the Lottery online and offline, regular or occassional players. Their are Billions of dollars spent online as well as offline. The general concenus so far on this thread is in the range of 40-60%, so all those who have voted 50% are on the money of the general concenus. Although, I am being influenced by comments Im still a hard sell...so, I now fall between 50 and 60% or 55%. Good feedback. I think I'll hold my position their, unless someone has some really cold hard facts one way or the other....I still get an itch that it's higher......hmmmm

United States
                        Member #30470
                        January 17, 2006
                        10392 Posts
                        Posted: February 15, 2007, 7:17 pm - IP Logged

KYFloyd

"Florida has a population of about 16 million. As an average about 1 in 13 people bought one of the raffle tickets, but as you say, averages don't always tells us anything useful."

That's assuming all 16 million are legally eligible to purchase raffle tickets (or lottery tickets). If we reduce the 16 million by those under age (not every place in FLa. is St Petersburg Scared) then it's going to be a lot less than one in 13, no?

Those who run the lotteries love it when players look for consistency in something that's designed not to have any.

Lep

There is one and only one 'proven' system, and that is to book the action. No matter the game, let the players pick their own losers.

justxploring's avatar - villiarna
                          Wandering Aimlessly
                          United States
                          Member #25360
                          November 5, 2005
                          4461 Posts
                          Posted: February 15, 2007, 7:22 pm - IP Logged

KYFloyd

"Florida has a population of about 16 million. As an average about 1 in 13 people bought one of the raffle tickets, but as you say, averages don't always tells us anything useful."

That's assuming all 16 million are legally eligible to purchase raffle tickets (or lottery tickets). If we reduce the 16 million by those under age (not every place in FLa. is St Petersburg Scared) then it's going to be a lot less than one in 13, no?

True, but then the very large percentage of people who aren't included in the census because they are undocumented might make up for that difference....or not!  One of the other things that really throws off the population stats is the amount of people who only live here part-time.  Many other states have part-time residents, but I'm sure states like AZ and FL have a much higher percentage. (However, I agree CT that we can't include children.)

United States
                            Member #30470
                            January 17, 2006
                            10392 Posts
                            Posted: February 16, 2007, 1:15 am - IP Logged

That brings up some good points. Can their be anything truly accurate when figuring percentages of any state's lottery players? There is no way of tellig how many people come in from other states, for one thing. 

And as you mentioned, states with a large 'snowbird' population would have to take that into account but at best that could only be a guess.  

Lep

Honduras
                              Member #20982
                              August 29, 2005
                              4715 Posts
                              Posted: February 19, 2007, 4:08 am - IP Logged

I say between 10-15 percent of the population plays the lotto all the time and also believe that less than 20% have played the lotto at one point or another...