Welcome Guest
You last visited December 5, 2016, 9:46 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

would you play if.....

Topic closed. 15 replies. Last post 10 years ago by guesser.

Page 1 of 2
PrintE-mailLink

if mega millions and powerball lowered the matrix but the jackpots got smaller too

yes [ 35 ]  [79.55%]
no [ 2 ]  [4.55%]
maybe [ 7 ]  [15.91%]
Total Valid Votes [ 44 ]  
Discarded Votes [ 1 ]  
LOTTOMIKE's avatar - cash money.jpg
Tennessee
United States
Member #7853
October 15, 2004
11338 Posts
Posted: February 15, 2007, 2:38 am - IP Logged

if mega millions and powerball suddenly lowered back to their matrixes of seven years ago and the game got easier would you still play even if the jackpots were lower too?

Coin Toss's avatar - shape barbed.jpg
    Zeta Reticuli Star System
    United States
    Member #30470
    January 17, 2006
    10348 Posts
    Posted: February 15, 2007, 2:43 am - IP Logged

My vote is yes. I'd like to say more winners. I'd even like to see something like multiple drawings for the same jackpot, once a jackpot got over a certain amount- say instead of one $150,000,000 winnder, perhaps three $50,000,000 winners or even five $30,000,000 winners.

Those who run the lotteries love it when players look for consistency in something that's designed not to have any.

Lep

There is one and only one 'proven' system, and that is to book the action. No matter the game, let the players pick their own losers.

Tennessee
      United States
      Member #7853
      October 15, 2004
      11338 Posts
      Posted: February 15, 2007, 4:12 am - IP Logged

i like that idea a lot.too bad the majority of players these days are bewitched by the 200 million dollar jackpots.

Sunny California
        United States
        Member #40295
        May 31, 2006
        7712 Posts
        Posted: February 15, 2007, 9:44 am - IP Logged

I'm with you two! Love to see 200 $1M winners opposed to 1 $200M winner. But you're right,Mike. $1M doesn't sound like a lot and doesn't generate much interest. But if people stopped to think about it,though,gosh! I mean who wouldn't want to win "just" a mil?

Tnplayer805's avatar - G 14_v78828750_Small.JPG
          North Dakota
          United States
          Member #13397
          April 5, 2005
          1623 Posts
          Posted: February 15, 2007, 1:52 pm - IP Logged

I think the idea for MM and PB is to have large jackpots.  I would still play; however, it would be hard to give up the excitement of a 200+ jackpot.

How are you going to win if you don't play?

tntea's avatar - Lottery-059.jpg

United States
            Member #5344
            June 30, 2004
            23641 Posts
            Posted: March 3, 2007, 10:39 pm - IP Logged

I'm with you two! Love to see 200 $1M winners opposed to 1 $200M winner. But you're right,Mike. $1M doesn't sound like a lot and doesn't generate much interest. But if people stopped to think about it,though,gosh! I mean who wouldn't want to win "just" a mil?

With the way things are right now..  $1million isn't that much money.. But hey, if it is more than you have in your account right now..Why not try to win it with a dollar..lol

I use my dollar to win a lot less...  with pick 3 and pick 4...

Money is money...

Winning is the challenge..

OLD/Vtrac   Lottery Bible         Double Warnings      Thumbs Up TN F34/F44

MegaWinner's avatar - Lottery-029.jpg
              New Jersey
              United States
              Member #50273
              March 3, 2007
              348 Posts
              Posted: March 3, 2007, 11:39 pm - IP Logged

It depends on the amout of the lowest jackpot amount.  Me personally, I don't play anything but the Mega Millions (and powerball once in a while) because the lowest jackpot is just enough for me to retire on.  The NJ Pick 6 Lottery game is too small and to me, not worth the aggravation.  That jackpot is only $2 million (Annuity value) and that would be quickly reduced to less than a million after taxes and cash value. 

If they lowered the Mega Millions Jackpot to anything less than what it is, I probably would only play when it is above $5 million cash value AFTER taxes.

jarasan's avatar - new patrick.gif
                Harbinger
                D.C./MD.
                United States
                Member #44103
                July 30, 2006
                5583 Posts
                Posted: March 4, 2007, 8:35 pm - IP Logged

if mega millions and powerball suddenly lowered back to their matrixes of seven years ago and the game got easier would you still play even if the jackpots were lower too?

An addiction is an addiction, even if the dose is lowered I would still need my PB and MM fix.

You know if you read this 20 years ago you would think PB was peanut butter and MM was M&Ms!

LOL jarasan

Coastal Georgia
                  United States
                  Member #2653
                  October 30, 2003
                  1866 Posts
                  Posted: March 4, 2007, 8:44 pm - IP Logged

Lottomike, my vote is yes.

One or two million might keep me from having financial problems later in life.

Or at least for a while......

...DD

guesser's avatar - Lottery-017.jpg

United States
                    Member #41383
                    June 16, 2006
                    1969 Posts
                    Posted: March 4, 2007, 9:29 pm - IP Logged

But we already know it's a fact less people play when the jackpot is 'small'.

Just look at how many folks hit the 5 WB's every drawing, sometimes it's none, but I am not so sure we have gone 2 straight games without a 5 WB winner.

I'd still vote for the same thing I always suggest: when the jackpot gets over 100 million, draw two sets of numbers.   If neither set has a winner, roll it to the next drawing. If only one set wins, give them half and roll the other half to the next drawing, and draw one set until it gets over 100 mill again.  

If it gets to 200 mill, draw 4 sets of numbers..... but cap it at 4 sets - even if it got to 400 mill or higher.

The question is: do you pull one set of numbers, note them as winners, put the balls back in the machine and draw again ? 

jarasan's avatar - new patrick.gif
                      Harbinger
                      D.C./MD.
                      United States
                      Member #44103
                      July 30, 2006
                      5583 Posts
                      Posted: March 4, 2007, 10:52 pm - IP Logged

Just look at how many folks hit the 5 WB's every drawing, sometimes it's none, but I am not so sure we have gone 2 straight games without a 5 WB winner.

I'd still vote for the same thing I always suggest: when the jackpot gets over 100 million, draw two sets of numbers.   If neither set has a winner, roll it to the next drawing. If only one set wins, give them half and roll the other half to the next drawing, and draw one set until it gets over 100 mill again.  

If it gets to 200 mill, draw 4 sets of numbers..... but cap it at 4 sets - even if it got to 400 mill or higher.

The question is: do you pull one set of numbers, note them as winners, put the balls back in the machine and draw again ? 

"You got to know when to hold em, know when to fold em,
                      Know when to walk away and know when to run.
                      You never count your money when youre sittin at the table.
                      Therell be time enough for countin when the dealins done"

Kenny Rodgers circa 1976

Good strategy guesser!

Tennessee
                        United States
                        Member #7853
                        October 15, 2004
                        11338 Posts
                        Posted: March 31, 2007, 2:20 am - IP Logged

i would've liked to have gotten hot lotto here.....before it got computerized.

OldSchoolPa's avatar - Lottery-057.jpg
                          Gurnee, Illinois
                          United States
                          Member #49731
                          February 12, 2007
                          917 Posts
                          Posted: March 31, 2007, 12:01 pm - IP Logged

I said I would still play, but I actually prefer it the way it IS right now.  Sure, it may be disappointing to many people when there is a single winner for say a $100M or $200M annuitized jackpot, but if I was that winner, I would be somewhat disappointed sharing that jackpot with 1 or 2 other winners.  I like that if someone wins a sub $75M annuitized jackpot prize that  it is highly likely that winner will be the sole winner. 

Also, I would not be in agreement with the above recommended change to either PB or MM; KEEP it one draw ALL the time.  The suggestion to offer more draws the higher the jackpot goes would significantly decrease the probability of any big game to reach record levels...which spurs phenomenal ticket sales and higher profits for the lotteries.  I don't see any of the lottery games even slightly considering this recommendation. 

I think most people wager less money when the jackpot is "small"...it's amazing that people consider a $15M jackpot small when same people are only earning $25K - $50K.  Also, I wish people would quit bellyaching about the tax bite on winnings...you actually pay more in taxes on your earned income percentage-wise (you pay Medicare, Medicaid, Social Security tax in addition to federal and, if applicable, state/local tax on earned income).  Just take your lottery winnings and have a nice life...or for those who haven't won yet, let us who dream of winning play knowing that whatever multi-million dollar prize won, even after the tax bite, is more than many of us had before the win.

Just my two cents.  Now let me get my picks in for the next Mega drawing as well as tonights PB and Indiana lotto drawings...drawn numbers, match all of mine on a single line!

Get MONEY!!! Winning a JACKPOT lottery is all the HOPE and CHANGE I desire!!!  NOW give me MONEY!US Flag

The guy who won the presidency in 2008 really won the lottery...he is now millions richer, travels in first class style, and even has a staff that would be the envy of the richest Powerball winner (she has a staff of 2). Every night he goes to sleep, he probably plays the close of Dave Chappelle's Show: I'm rich beyatch!

pigsNtrees's avatar - pigsNtrees
                            Mallorn trees of Lothlorien
                            United States
                            Member #26084
                            November 14, 2005
                            199 Posts
                            Posted: March 31, 2007, 3:36 pm - IP Logged

While I love the thrill I get right before I check my numbers for a really large jackpot,  I can live just as good on a much smaller one. I voted yes

Quando Porca Volare!

drunk hobbit

psykomo's avatar - animal shark.jpg

United States
                              Member #4877
                              May 30, 2004
                              5120 Posts
                              Posted: March 31, 2007, 10:55 pm - IP Logged

While I love the thrill I get right before I check my numbers for a really large jackpot,  I can live just as good on a much smaller one. I voted yes

PSYKOMO.................just voted..........................."YES"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I can live with spreadin'g DEE............................."MONEY around"

&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&"AROUND"

...................................................................................????????????

PROBLEM??????????????????PEOPLE??????????????...................

ASK the DEMO's or RUPUB's...............THEY COLLECT!....................

NOT..........................................................................DISTRUBITE!!!!

"STUPID"/play ##s

LOL$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$