Welcome Guest
You last visited December 9, 2016, 12:40 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Breaking Las Vegas: Could it happen to the lotto..

Topic closed. 20 replies. Last post 10 years ago by Coin Toss.

Page 2 of 2
PrintE-mailLink

Honduras
Member #20982
August 29, 2005
4715 Posts
Posted: February 20, 2007, 2:38 pm - IP Logged

Cointoss You said: "They did not expect their largest ever jackpot to be "exported" and launched an enquiry."

What do you/they have meant by the word: "Exported"..

Like 5 years ago i did research with pick6/49 combinations and i found out that there is a group of combinations that are more likely to play, more than others if you know what to filters for..For pick6/44 with 7Million combinations, i say there are 2 million combinations like that...I've also read on the internet the same thing too..

The website of lotto masta on the internet display a winning lotter check saying that they won the lottery with a system...Also one post that pacattack has he says that (can't remember how it goes) that he had an article on the newpaper where one spokesperson for the lottery was saying that they were going to change the lotto machines every so often to prevent a pattern from forming... 

"Laura Simpson from Great Lakes, Illinois deserves to be rich..."    She is so rare..."

Kentucky
    United States
    Member #32652
    February 14, 2006
    7314 Posts
    Posted: February 20, 2007, 4:22 pm - IP Logged

Interesting. Thanks, Coin Toss.  I wasn't doubting Stack47, just thought the whole idea sounded crazy.  The article does state that even with a well organized group of 35 people,  they were not able to cover every possible combination.  There was still a very large gap and quite a chance that almost 2 million other combinations could have been drawn.  So there was still a lot of luck involved and much more risk than I'd ever take.

In a way, I really have to support the official decision, and that's rare for me. This isn't the same as a lottery pool and gave an unfair advantage to the syndicate.  The whole idea of a lottery is to be fair and random. That's not to say that somebody with $500 to blow can't buy 499 more tickets than another, but this operation went to the extreme. 

When I first read what they did, I thought the idea was crazy too because it required closing several lottery terminals while all the cards were being run. They paid the agents to run them and they had the cards to cover all the combinations but that meant nobody else could buy anything while it was being done. I believe that is the reason 10% or 20% of the cards weren't run. 

And I agree with you what they did was very unfair for a number of reason. Ohio revised its rules to prevent the same thing from happening.

Honduras
      Member #20982
      August 29, 2005
      4715 Posts
      Posted: February 20, 2007, 4:47 pm - IP Logged

"They did not expect their largest ever jackpot to be "exported" and launched an enquiry."

I looked at the word export and it means to ship abroad...And i am thinking, if they didn't expect their largest jackpot ever to be exported meaning they didn't expect a foreigner to win it and then launch an enquiry..That's a very racist statement & a racist action...I hope i am wrong...If it was me, they could had ask all the question they wanted I wouldn't answer any question...And if i had to go to court so be it...

But i am glad they caught up the guy because what he was doing was giving power to the wealthy...

"Laura Simpson from Great Lakes, Illinois deserves to be rich..."      "She is so rare..."

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
        mid-Ohio
        United States
        Member #9
        March 24, 2001
        19830 Posts
        Posted: February 20, 2007, 5:21 pm - IP Logged

I remembered when that syndicate was featured on the TV show "How They Do That".  Mr Mandel explained his group had hired some bonded agents and taken over several 711 store terminals for two days to enter their numbers.  There are investor that make money by buying and selling dollars daily and taking advantage of the exchange rate, this syndicate was trying to do the same thing with lottery jackpots.  Afterward Virginia along with other states changed their rules such that no one can control a lottery terminal more than 15 minutes if it hindered others from playing.

Nowadays only a few pick5 lottery jackpots exceed the amount it take to buy all the combinations so investment syndicates are trying to buy the whole lottery operations from some states and their offers are being taken seriously. 

There was a group in Canada a few years ago looking for select investors with $10,000 to invest in their scheme in which they claimed they could win any 649 game in 5 drawings with their proprietary system which required them to buy 200,000 combinations per drawing.

I don't think there is or ever will be a code to predict a random event, but someone may discover a way to anticipate certain events happening which could improve their odds of winning.  Such a discovery probably wouldn't help the average player who buys 5-20 lines per drawing, but an investment group might be interested and if they did they wouldn't want any notoriety, so if such a scheme existed and was working only those using it would know about it. 

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning ticket * 

Evil Looking       

Honduras
          Member #20982
          August 29, 2005
          4715 Posts
          Posted: February 20, 2007, 6:38 pm - IP Logged

RJOH said:

"There was a group in Canada a few years ago looking for select investors with $10,000 to invest in their scheme in which they claimed they could win any 649 game in 5 drawings with their proprietary system which required them to buy 200,000 combinations per drawing."

Something like that i heard here in the States, but it was a long time ago...

I've always believe that for a 6/49 game you could win it with less than 600,000 combinations....

"Laura Simpson from Great Lakes, Illinois deserves to be rich.."        "She is so rare..."

Coin Toss's avatar - shape barbed.jpg
            Zeta Reticuli Star System
            United States
            Member #30470
            January 17, 2006
            10353 Posts
            Posted: February 20, 2007, 6:43 pm - IP Logged

pumpi

In this case I think what was meant by 'exported' was that Virginia (or any other state with a lottery) didn't expect any overseas interest in a domestic lottery, let alone a syndicate doing what these guys did.

For a while in Las vegas, when a slot machine offered a huge jackpot, people would form teams so there was always somebody from their team on that machines, no one else could get near it.

That's when Vegas started posting "No team play" signs on certain slots. Hard to prove, sure, but at that time the teams were very obvious about it and would literally sit right around the machines and watch one team member pull the handle til they got tired.

On a much larger scale, that's what the lottery syndicate was doing, no?

Those who run the lotteries love it when players look for consistency in something that's designed not to have any.

Lep

There is one and only one 'proven' system, and that is to book the action. No matter the game, let the players pick their own losers.