Welcome Guest
You last visited December 9, 2016, 12:40 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

how would YOU change the payouts?

Topic closed. 17 replies. Last post 10 years ago by guesser.

Page 2 of 2
PrintE-mailLink
justxploring's avatar - villiarna
Wandering Aimlessly
United States
Member #25360
November 5, 2005
4461 Posts
Posted: February 24, 2007, 1:42 pm - IP Logged

how would YOU change the payouts in pick 3?  how about pick 4 or pick 5?

maybe even in powerball or mega millions?

I would like to see more money going to the lower tier prizes.  For example, I got 4 out of 6 in FL Lotto after many years of playing and won $75.  Big Deal!  Even $500 would be much nicer. Same for Fantasy 5 - you finally get 4 numbers and win about $100.  However, the goal is to win the jackpot, so I doubt if they'll ever change.  The states want to make a big profit, so the only way to increase the payouts is to take the money from the jackpot prize. 

I agree about the taxes, but I doubt if anyone in the IRS will ever look at it that way.  I remember an article on this board where a woman claimed her lottery winnings as capital gain to save taxes (since the tax rate was lower) and lost her case.  

hypersoniq's avatar - 8ball
    Pennsylvania
    United States
    Member #1340
    April 6, 2003
    2450 Posts
    Posted: February 24, 2007, 3:25 pm - IP Logged

I agree with 1), I totally disagree with 2).

How do we know if the person that 'won' is not somehow connected to the lottery ?

Everyone should know the rules by now, and if the 1 in 146 million chance hits that you or I will be 'paraded' around, then so be it, it comes with the territory, deal with it.  If you won, you have 6 months to claim the money, that should give you ample time to do whatever you feel you need to do, as far as moving or making financial arrangements.  If your self-esteem is so low that you cannot deal with people, then just give me your money and I will play the game for you, and I will give you a percentage of whatever I win.. (sic)

The Lottery would be absolutely no fun if there was a 300 million dollar winner(s) and nobody knows who they are, if they are a 'rich person', a retired person, a laborer, a pool of office workers, or whatever, we kinda do need to see who wins so we can continue to think 'If it happened to them (winning) then it can happen to us'. 

What does self-esteem have to do with winning?

BTW 1 year for PB to claim,and 60 days after claiming to choose cash/annuity.

Playing more than one ticket per game is betting against yourself.

guesser's avatar - Lottery-017.jpg

United States
      Member #41383
      June 16, 2006
      1969 Posts
      Posted: February 24, 2007, 7:09 pm - IP Logged

What does self-esteem have to do with winning?

BTW 1 year for PB to claim,and 60 days after claiming to choose cash/annuity.

Because that person 'wants it all', but doesn't want to do anything associated with the game, is scared of having to deal with the headaches that CAN come with winning, and wants to do nothing to help promote it, that's the feeling I got.

If I won a jackpot, it's recorded all over the place what I would do as far as doing things to keep a little privacy, but I just don't think it's right to play the game, win, and then slip out the back door because a person doesn't want to 'deal with it'.

And If I won, I'd do handstands and cartwheels on the stage, it would not bother me one bit if people know who I am, I'm pretty well-versed in the usage of the common word 'no'. 

And also BTW, I'd keep the deadline date at 6 months, BUT if it is not claimed in 6 months, I'd have another drawing for it, or at least half of it, or have several drawings for maybe 1 million each of it; spread the wealth around a bit.