Welcome Guest
You last visited January 20, 2017, 7:00 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Cards For Quick Picks

Topic closed. 26 replies. Last post 10 years ago by Badger.

Page 1 of 2
PrintE-mailLink
justxploring's avatar - villiarna
Wandering Aimlessly
United States
Member #25360
November 5, 2005
4461 Posts
Posted: February 28, 2007, 12:44 am - IP Logged

I probably should let this go, but posting is a good way to vent. I was going to make the subject matter "Rude Clerk Should Be Fired."  I'm probably a little too conscientious when I'm working in a store, but tonight I'm thinking about calling the regional office of 7-11.  I don't know why they can't hang onto their clerks, since many of them have been very good. Maybe they don't treat their employees well or give them salary increases, but this lady got under my skin.

At about 9:05 I got an uncontrollable "I feel lucky" urge and decided to drive to 7-11 to buy a Fantasy 5 ticket.  I didn't expect my fuel light to go on, but I have an important appointment in the morning, so I used my mastercard to get some gas.  The pump said "get receipt inside" so when I walked in, I first went to the counter and the clerk was chatting away on her cell phone. I got her attention and asked for my receipt.  I had to raise my voice because she thought I was asking for gas on pump 5. "No, I already paid at the pump. Just want my receipt." She didn't even stop talking to her buddy while I was talking. Then I grabbed a Ghiradelli chocolate bar and returned to the counter (it's a fairly small store) to pay for the candy bar and get my tickets. She continued to blab away on her cell phone, never once removing it from her ear. I wanted to ask "Am I inconveniencing you?" but instead I quietly interrupted her personal conversation. "Excuse me, but I'd like one Fantasy 5 quick pick please and...."  she had already turned her back and began walking to the terminal. I was going to get another ticket and she asked me for a dollar, so I could have just walked out with the candy. While she continued to yack away, I said "you didn't charge me for the chocolate bar" so she rang it up.  Guess I was too pissed off to notice that she handed me a Lotto ticket instead until I just checked my numbers. That's unusual for me, but I think I probably would have left anyway. I hope I don't read that one of the 2 Fantasy 5 winners who won $129K tonight bought a ticket at 7-11 a little after 9.  What are the chances? My Lotto ticket says printed at 21:09:44.  On the bright side, maybe this will turn out to be a lucky mistake for me and tomorrow I'll win $15 million!

Anyway, this mistake could have been avoided had I just used a card and checked the QP box, but it wasn't busy and I was the only customer in the store.  Do you use a card when buying QPs? All opinions are welcome.  Also, if you take my word that nothing above was exaggerated in the least, would you have made a stink about her behavior? 

crookston MN
    United States
    Member #23229
    October 9, 2005
    297 Posts
    Posted: February 28, 2007, 1:16 am - IP Logged

justxploring,

i manage a convenience that was once a 7-11 then Kum-n-Go took over!! the service you received was horrible and yes, you should complain to the corporate office or the store manager. personally i would give that employee a written warning and make sure it never happened again. when i train my employees i can't stress enough to them that the customers "WILL" receive fast friendly service or you may be let go. I'm not sure about 7-11, but you can also go online for most convenient stores and find the exact location of the store and tell your story so everyone can see it!!

lattelotto2

truecritic's avatar - PirateTreasure
      Michigan
      United States
      Member #22395
      September 24, 2005
      1583 Posts
      Posted: February 28, 2007, 1:21 am - IP Logged

1) Corporate Store or franchise?  Just so you call the right person.  However, you could just contact the store manager, they should be concerned.

2) No, I never fill out a bet slip for any quick-pick.

3) Would I make a stink with someone higher up?  Probably not.  Would I have made a stink with her, probably.  I also would try to steer clear of her shift.  I would guess that she won't last too long if she continues to act that way with most customers.

You would think every consumer would hate that kind of behavior in a sales person - and therefore would never do it if they are a sales person.

If you do win $15 mil, maybe you should thank her!  Good luck!

Wandering Aimlessly
        United States
        Member #25360
        November 5, 2005
        4461 Posts
        Posted: February 28, 2007, 1:23 am - IP Logged

There's actually a company called "Kum-n-Go?  Please forgive my sick sense of humor, but it sounds like a drive-thru brothel.  With all the problems in schools these days, pretty soon everyone will think quick is spelled Kwik and easy is spelled EZ.  Reminds me of a great scene in the movie "Midnight Cowboy" when John Voight is playing Scrabble with Brenda Vaccaro and spells money MONY since he saw the sign on the Mutual of New York building.

Thanks for your reply, Lattelotto.  I appreciate your feedback.  I'm a very patient person, but she never put her cell phone down the whole time I was in the store. I've been stuck on the phone with a customer service problem or to check on a shipment, so I'm aware that calls can be part of daily business, but I'm sure this was personal, (although I couldn't understand a word anyway.) 

dvdiva's avatar - 8ball

United States
          Member #2338
          September 17, 2003
          2063 Posts
          Posted: February 28, 2007, 1:38 am - IP Logged

Lol, drive through brothel. Most people just never learn to spell without a spell checker.

As rude as the clerk was just remember that life has more assh**es than even a proctologist could handle. 

truecritic's avatar - PirateTreasure
            Michigan
            United States
            Member #22395
            September 24, 2005
            1583 Posts
            Posted: February 28, 2007, 1:42 am - IP Logged

Lol, drive through brothel. Most people just never learn to spell without a spell checker.

As rude as the clerk was just remember that life has more assh**es than even a proctologist could handle. 

Spell?

Thru - certainly a commonly accepted slang.  I use it often, that makes it right if nothing else!  :)

Or do you have reference to some other word?

Wandering Aimlessly
              United States
              Member #25360
              November 5, 2005
              4461 Posts
              Posted: February 28, 2007, 1:57 am - IP Logged

Spell?

Thru - certainly a commonly accepted slang.  I use it often, that makes it right if nothing else!  :)

Or do you have reference to some other word?

To whom was this directed?  I realize that Kum & Go is the name of a large chain of convenience stores, although I never heard of them until tonight.  I was only kidding around.

True Critic, if you are referring to Diva's comment, I completely agree with you and appreciate your reply, since drive-thru is even in the dictionary.  (as drive-through or drive-thru)  As you wrote, it's widely accepted.  At first I didn't take the post as a criticism to tell you the truth, but only a response to my post.  However, I guess it was.  I actually used "drive-thru" a little tongue-in-cheek, since I was thinking of McDonald's.  All their signs read "Drive-Thru"

Interesting - just googled the words and a company called Easi-serv (talk about spelling) is a large manufacturer of drive-thru and pass-thru windows, and that's exactly the way they spell it. 

http://www.easi-serv.com/drivethru.htm

If you go to Walgreens.com they advertise (this is a cut & paste, so it's a direct quote)

"stores with drive-thru pharmacy"

Wandering Aimlessly
                United States
                Member #25360
                November 5, 2005
                4461 Posts
                Posted: February 28, 2007, 2:20 am - IP Logged

Just to add: 

Looked at my bank statement and it reads:

"we have convenient drive-thru ATMs"

Coin Toss's avatar - shape barbed.jpg
                  Zeta Reticuli Star System
                  United States
                  Member #30470
                  January 17, 2006
                  10391 Posts
                  Posted: February 28, 2007, 2:30 am - IP Logged

Justxploring

"At about 9:05 I got an uncontrollable "I feel lucky" urge...."

Green laugh

Most of the time I play a quick pick I just ask the clerk to play it, but sometimes I fill out the playslip. When I do that sometimes they look and say, "there's nothing on it".  Then I tell yhem it's a quick pick and they tell me I could have just asked them for a quick pick, so I tell them I'm trying to 'psyche out' the computer. 

Those who run the lotteries love it when players look for consistency in something that's designed not to have any.

Lep

There is one and only one 'proven' system, and that is to book the action. No matter the game, let the players pick their own losers.

United States
                    Member #17555
                    June 22, 2005
                    5582 Posts
                    Posted: February 28, 2007, 8:32 am - IP Logged

There's actually a company called "Kum-n-Go?  Please forgive my sick sense of humor, but it sounds like a drive-thru brothel.  With all the problems in schools these days, pretty soon everyone will think quick is spelled Kwik and easy is spelled EZ.  Reminds me of a great scene in the movie "Midnight Cowboy" when John Voight is playing Scrabble with Brenda Vaccaro and spells money MONY since he saw the sign on the Mutual of New York building.

Thanks for your reply, Lattelotto.  I appreciate your feedback.  I'm a very patient person, but she never put her cell phone down the whole time I was in the store. I've been stuck on the phone with a customer service problem or to check on a shipment, so I'm aware that calls can be part of daily business, but I'm sure this was personal, (although I couldn't understand a word anyway.) 

How can you be surprised, when you know about the tackle shop on bonita beach road? "Master bait and tackle" is the name of that store.

As far as the 7-11, on bonita beach road i'm assuming is the one, it's not the only store which has really bad service. And it dosen't neccessarily have to be a 7-11 either. The Hess station on the corner of Terry street and Old 41 has had their share of terrible service also.

Just last week, i was coming home and stopped at the hess for something. As she's in the middle of ringing me up, a guy asks for the lottery result tickets which some stores have on the counter for anyone who wants to know what last night's numbers were.There apparently weren't any left, so she decides to stop everything she's doing and print up about 15 of them, while having a rather lenghty discussion about why she forgot to print more and so on and so on and yadda yadda yadda.....

She saw my face getting very red, and she said I'm sorry, and started to ramble to me about why she forgot, not realizing I heard why when she was explaining it to the guy.

At this point I was ready to explode, but I held my cool, along with the other 4 people behind me. I took my change with no eye contact and any words exchanged. As I walked out the door she yelped in a very loud manner and said " You should smile more".

People don't think before they utter their crap.

The sad part is that she basically answered her own question and didn't even realize it. None of that would have ever happened if she just did her job in the first place.

I see many different kinds of bad service all accross this area. The incident above was a mild example of what I have to deal with all day long.

The 7-11 adjacent from that Hess is ten times worse. After standing at the counter alone, hoping someone would notice me there and help, a guy walks up with a six pack of beer and places it on the counter. She obviously saw me standing there, but she starts ringing him up instead of me. Boy was I fumed.....I layed the 20 bucks in front of her real close to her end of the counter, and said pump 5. I was standing at the pump waiting for her to activate the pump for a bout a two minutes. I finally went back to see what the problem was, and she claimed that I never gave her any money and I never told her what it was for.

My reply was, you didn't see me put 20 bucks right in front of you? How can you not only miss that but also miss my voice especially after you made eye contact with me?

I said why do you think I was giving you 20 bucks? Do you think I just randomly give money away? Then I said really loud...HELLO!!!!

I keep telling myself that I'll just boycott that store, but it means I'd have to boycott 90 percent of the stores all over...LOL

Sorry for the long winded stories, but I can't help but vent. I know they don't get much pay, but try to atleast do your job somewhat effeciently.

I've realized over time that telling the manager won't help, because most of them are in cahoots with each other.

I really don't want people to get fired, I just want them to concentrate more on their job, and less BS talk with their cohorts, whether it be in the store, or on the phone, as you mentioned.They want to gossip with their friends and work at the same time.They don't even realize how badly they look in the eyes of the customers.

If i did what half these employess do, at my job as a limo driver, I would be fired the very first day. Just imagine me pulling up to the terminal door at the airport, getting out of the vehicle while I'm on the cell phone blabbering away with my friends, loading the luggage, opening the door for the customers, while I'm still gabbing and laughing at whatever, closing the door getting back in the vehicle and driving off while still on the phone, not even pausing to greet the customer. I might as well find the nearest store and buy the classifieds looking for a new job...LOL

I don't use cards for quick picks. I want to eliminate as much extra work for the employee as possible, preventing any more mistakes that might confuse them. Obviously they can't multi-task.

Sunny California
                      United States
                      Member #40295
                      May 31, 2006
                      7713 Posts
                      Posted: February 28, 2007, 8:37 am - IP Logged

Cell phones will be the ruin of civilization!

Maybe that's a little drastic but I am so sick of them! And the rudeness that they generate. I would definitely complain to the manager or even someone higher in management. That is just uncalled for. 

weshar75's avatar - Lottery-042.jpg
                        Mcminnville, Oregon
                        United States
                        Member #3013
                        December 13, 2003
                        3092 Posts
                        Posted: February 28, 2007, 9:13 am - IP Logged

For me the excitement of having a clerk mess up my lottery ticket with not correctly pressing the terminal buttons is why I fill out the play slips.  I think filling out the slips takes little time out of my day to afford me the comfort of not having a bad day when the clerk decides you need lottery how they want to punch it in instead of how you asked for the tickets in the first place.

I do believe your service was poor and it was rude of the clerk to be more concerned with the ins and outs of here friends instead of servicing you.  Far be it that someone who is receiving pay to serve the customers of the store they work in actually try to serve everyone in order and in a timely manner.

One thing that I can not get over is how you have to seek out good service.  You can not go to a store around the corner and get the same service that you get at a store that you would have to go out of your way to reach.  But that is how it is here in Eugene, Oregon.  Maybe the Oregon lottery should have mandatory requirements that a sign be placed in front of all lottery selling retailers.  "Enter at your own risk and if we actually give you the right service you should be surprised."-weshar75

Kentucky
                          United States
                          Member #32652
                          February 14, 2006
                          7344 Posts
                          Posted: February 28, 2007, 10:56 am - IP Logged

"Just last week, i was coming home and stopped at the hess for something. As she's in the middle of ringing me up, a guy asks for the lottery result tickets which some stores have on the counter for anyone who wants to know what last night's numbers were.There apparently weren't any left, so she decides to stop everything she's doing and print up about 15 of them, while having a rather lenghty discussion about why she forgot to print more and so on and so on and yadda yadda yadda....."

This is just another example of how rude behavior, lack of intelligence, and/or common sense has become the norm on both sides of the counter.

"At this point I was ready to explode, but I held my cool, along with the other 4 people behind me. I took my change with no eye contact and any words exchanged. As I walked out the door she yelped in a very loud manner and said " You should smile more"."

Obviously in her mind the explanation of why she didn't printout the lottery results was much more important than finishing ringing you out so she tried to turn the tables on you. Hopefully making the people in line behind you believe it was your fault they had to wait longer. I'll bet she told the next customer "that person was very rude" while giving them the "wait a sec finger" answering her cell phone.

"I finally went back to see what the problem was, and she claimed that I never gave her any money and I never told her what it was for."

As the next guy in line, I'd like to hear her explain how she knew that you didn't tell her what the money was for if you never gave her any, but that would trigger the guy wanting lottery printouts just before she has to answer her cell phone.

I've seen gas pumps that now take cash but I'm not messing with that because I know it will take my 20 without any gas and I'll still have to deal with the clerk that has no clue what to do about it.

Wandering Aimlessly
                            United States
                            Member #25360
                            November 5, 2005
                            4461 Posts
                            Posted: February 28, 2007, 6:52 pm - IP Logged

Cell phones will be the ruin of civilization!

Maybe that's a little drastic but I am so sick of them! And the rudeness that they generate. I would definitely complain to the manager or even someone higher in management. That is just uncalled for. 

I agree.  I also don't think people should be using cell phones while driving.  I realize they make life easier sometimes, but what did we do before?  People take them into the bathroom.  There's no place to hide any more.  LOL

BTW, although it's been a fact for many years, did you know that countless millions of migrating birds die every year because they fly into cell phone towers?  This isn't one of those silly rumors either.  About 5 years ago I read on the U.S. Fish & Wildlife site that an estimated 12 million birds die by hitting communication towers and nobody knows exactly why.  With towers being erected worldwide and with the increase in cell phone usage in the United States, I can't imagine what that figure is up to now.  Birds have always collided with tall buildings, especially at night when there are flashing lights (radio towers, television towers.)  However, the worldwide explosion of cell phone use might result in the extinction of entire species of migratory birds. The American Bird Conservancy puts the current estimate closer to 40 million.  I think if it's a battle between the birds and progress, technology and convenience will always win, so maybe there really isn't any point to writing this, it there?

LuckyLilly's avatar - savy chick.png

United States
                              Member #50124
                              February 26, 2007
                              601 Posts
                              Posted: February 28, 2007, 7:36 pm - IP Logged

The convenience store within walking distance of my house went thru a bad period where just about every clerk there did stuff like talking on the phone non-stop, and one even had her boyfriend in the store and refused to stop visiting with him when someone walked up to the counter.  When you finally get their attention, they act like a belligerent teenager being asked to take the trash out when it's not their night.  I always walk out thinking "I hope I win the big one tonight, cuz if I do you ain't getting the 10k you'd have gotten if you were a polite human being."  Evil Smile  They have a new manager and better clerks now, the one who sold me the Powerball ticket for tonight will definitely get a cut.  Yes Nod