Welcome Guest
You last visited December 6, 2016, 5:13 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Cards For Quick Picks

Topic closed. 26 replies. Last post 10 years ago by Badger.

Page 2 of 2
PrintE-mailLink

United States
Member #17555
June 22, 2005
5582 Posts
Posted: February 28, 2007, 7:50 pm - IP Logged

I think if it's a battle between the birds and progress, technology and convenience will always win, so maybe there really isn't any point to writing this, it there?

About 10 years ago I learned that we now have only 20 percent of all the species on this planet, from just 200 years ago......!

That is astounding to me.

United States
    Member #17555
    June 22, 2005
    5582 Posts
    Posted: February 28, 2007, 7:56 pm - IP Logged

"Just last week, i was coming home and stopped at the hess for something. As she's in the middle of ringing me up, a guy asks for the lottery result tickets which some stores have on the counter for anyone who wants to know what last night's numbers were.There apparently weren't any left, so she decides to stop everything she's doing and print up about 15 of them, while having a rather lenghty discussion about why she forgot to print more and so on and so on and yadda yadda yadda....."

This is just another example of how rude behavior, lack of intelligence, and/or common sense has become the norm on both sides of the counter.

"At this point I was ready to explode, but I held my cool, along with the other 4 people behind me. I took my change with no eye contact and any words exchanged. As I walked out the door she yelped in a very loud manner and said " You should smile more"."

Obviously in her mind the explanation of why she didn't printout the lottery results was much more important than finishing ringing you out so she tried to turn the tables on you. Hopefully making the people in line behind you believe it was your fault they had to wait longer. I'll bet she told the next customer "that person was very rude" while giving them the "wait a sec finger" answering her cell phone.

"I finally went back to see what the problem was, and she claimed that I never gave her any money and I never told her what it was for."

As the next guy in line, I'd like to hear her explain how she knew that you didn't tell her what the money was for if you never gave her any, but that would trigger the guy wanting lottery printouts just before she has to answer her cell phone.

I've seen gas pumps that now take cash but I'm not messing with that because I know it will take my 20 without any gas and I'll still have to deal with the clerk that has no clue what to do about it.

I couldn't have said it any better....LOL

Timezone change there for a macro second....Phew....that was weird...

United States
      Member #50182
      February 28, 2007
      4 Posts
      Posted: February 28, 2007, 8:39 pm - IP Logged

I probably should let this go, but posting is a good way to vent. I was going to make the subject matter "Rude Clerk Should Be Fired."  I'm probably a little too conscientious when I'm working in a store, but tonight I'm thinking about calling the regional office of 7-11.  I don't know why they can't hang onto their clerks, since many of them have been very good. Maybe they don't treat their employees well or give them salary increases, but this lady got under my skin.

At about 9:05 I got an uncontrollable "I feel lucky" urge and decided to drive to 7-11 to buy a Fantasy 5 ticket.  I didn't expect my fuel light to go on, but I have an important appointment in the morning, so I used my mastercard to get some gas.  The pump said "get receipt inside" so when I walked in, I first went to the counter and the clerk was chatting away on her cell phone. I got her attention and asked for my receipt.  I had to raise my voice because she thought I was asking for gas on pump 5. "No, I already paid at the pump. Just want my receipt." She didn't even stop talking to her buddy while I was talking. Then I grabbed a Ghiradelli chocolate bar and returned to the counter (it's a fairly small store) to pay for the candy bar and get my tickets. She continued to blab away on her cell phone, never once removing it from her ear. I wanted to ask "Am I inconveniencing you?" but instead I quietly interrupted her personal conversation. "Excuse me, but I'd like one Fantasy 5 quick pick please and...."  she had already turned her back and began walking to the terminal. I was going to get another ticket and she asked me for a dollar, so I could have just walked out with the candy. While she continued to yack away, I said "you didn't charge me for the chocolate bar" so she rang it up.  Guess I was too pissed off to notice that she handed me a Lotto ticket instead until I just checked my numbers. That's unusual for me, but I think I probably would have left anyway. I hope I don't read that one of the 2 Fantasy 5 winners who won $129K tonight bought a ticket at 7-11 a little after 9.  What are the chances? My Lotto ticket says printed at 21:09:44.  On the bright side, maybe this will turn out to be a lucky mistake for me and tomorrow I'll win $15 million!

Anyway, this mistake could have been avoided had I just used a card and checked the QP box, but it wasn't busy and I was the only customer in the store.  Do you use a card when buying QPs? All opinions are welcome.  Also, if you take my word that nothing above was exaggerated in the least, would you have made a stink about her behavior? 

I'd recommend going back by the store and simply/politely telling her you didn't appreciate her negligence and give her a chance to correct her ignorance before going corporate on her.  JMO....

jarasan's avatar - new patrick.gif
        Harbinger
        D.C./MD.
        United States
        Member #44103
        July 30, 2006
        5583 Posts
        Posted: February 28, 2007, 9:38 pm - IP Logged

Theorem:        There are more rude people now than ever before.

Observations:    1.There are more people than ever before.

2. Discipline and personal responsibilty has just about disappeared, in schools and the home (been happening past 30 or so years).

3. Everybody has their own agenda, not your agenda.

4. Different cultures have different manners and customs, and theirs is the only one that counts.

5.  Many people have chips on their shoulders.

6.  Too many people watch TV,  and perceive it to be reality.

7.  Too many people blame others for their problems.

8.  Few stop to smell the roses or help someone in need.

9.  Too often you see betrayal and deception as an asset.

10.  Technology is impersonal.

11.  Many people never heard of the Ten Commandments; much less know what they are.  They don't know the difference between right and wrong.

12.  And, finally: Many people believe there are no consequences for ones' actions in this life.  Never understanding the march of time and the inevitable accounting for ones' life on this Earth. 

Conclusion:  The clash of cultures, religions, and values has created some truly rude and inconsiderate people.  Coincidentally, this happens mostly in bigger cities.  I live in the D.C. area; I know!  The smaller cities and towns (domestically or internationally) I see  people are friendlier and less rude, by far.  D.C. used to be a really classy, quiet, down to Earth place where everybody respected each other (really).  Now it is bad. There are many more reasons than listed but people aren't nearly as polite as they used to be.  Anyway LOL jarasan

P.S. Justexploring, I hope you hit big. Party

United States
          Member #17555
          June 22, 2005
          5582 Posts
          Posted: February 28, 2007, 10:29 pm - IP Logged

Theorem:        There are more rude people now than ever before.

Observations:    1.There are more people than ever before.

2. Discipline and personal responsibilty has just about disappeared, in schools and the home (been happening past 30 or so years).

3. Everybody has their own agenda, not your agenda.

4. Different cultures have different manners and customs, and theirs is the only one that counts.

5.  Many people have chips on their shoulders.

6.  Too many people watch TV,  and perceive it to be reality.

7.  Too many people blame others for their problems.

8.  Few stop to smell the roses or help someone in need.

9.  Too often you see betrayal and deception as an asset.

10.  Technology is impersonal.

11.  Many people never heard of the Ten Commandments; much less know what they are.  They don't know the difference between right and wrong.

12.  And, finally: Many people believe there are no consequences for ones' actions in this life.  Never understanding the march of time and the inevitable accounting for ones' life on this Earth. 

Conclusion:  The clash of cultures, religions, and values has created some truly rude and inconsiderate people.  Coincidentally, this happens mostly in bigger cities.  I live in the D.C. area; I know!  The smaller cities and towns (domestically or internationally) I see  people are friendlier and less rude, by far.  D.C. used to be a really classy, quiet, down to Earth place where everybody respected each other (really).  Now it is bad. There are many more reasons than listed but people aren't nearly as polite as they used to be.  Anyway LOL jarasan

P.S. Justexploring, I hope you hit big. Party

So So true....

Nicely written by the way...

It's a "ME" world. I see it on the roads everyday. The world dosen't revolve around you...I say to them.....

You don't own the road!!! I tell them....

I call some people on the road foolish and tell them they have too much time on their hands. I call them the "Road Regulators". They're gonna change the world for the better....The road regulators in the left lane.

The ones running me off the road because they have no clue as to checking side mirrors before acting on a move. I'm very lucky to be alive here in Southwest Florida. It's a miracle!

Self centered humans oblivious to their surroundings, caught up in trivial and routine behavior. ME! ME! ME!

United States
            Member #48769
            January 8, 2007
            20 Posts
            Posted: February 28, 2007, 10:40 pm - IP Logged

i most always fill out a bet slip to play a quick pick, to me it offers less of a chance to get the wrong ticket. i find a lot of the clerks dont seem comfortable with the lottery ticket machine.

justxploring's avatar - villiarna
              Wandering Aimlessly
              United States
              Member #25360
              November 5, 2005
              4461 Posts
              Posted: March 1, 2007, 12:06 am - IP Logged

i most always fill out a bet slip to play a quick pick, to me it offers less of a chance to get the wrong ticket. i find a lot of the clerks dont seem comfortable with the lottery ticket machine.

Yes, I understand.  It makes sense, except an awful lot of people buy tickets spontaneously. "Oh, give me a ticket for Lotto tonight."  I hear it all the time. I realize that if I began a job at a store that sold lottery tickets, I would need to be trained.  So good training by a manager is very important.  Sometimes people are thrown into a situation without any experience and it can be overwhelming. Believe me - I know what it's like to have customers complain. I worked in retail for years, so I know working with the public isn't easy.  However, the situation I described on Tues evening was due to poor service, plain & simple. She just wasn't paying attention since she was talking on her cell phone. 

emilyg's avatar - cat anm.gif

United States
                Member #14
                November 9, 2001
                31347 Posts
                Posted: March 1, 2007, 12:15 am - IP Logged

Yes, I understand.  It makes sense, except an awful lot of people buy tickets spontaneously. "Oh, give me a ticket for Lotto tonight."  I hear it all the time. I realize that if I began a job at a store that sold lottery tickets, I would need to be trained.  So good training by a manager is very important.  Sometimes people are thrown into a situation without any experience and it can be overwhelming. Believe me - I know what it's like to have customers complain. I worked in retail for years, so I know working with the public isn't easy.  However, the situation I described on Tues evening was due to poor service, plain & simple. She just wasn't paying attention since she was talking on her cell phone. 

why don't u contact the manager/owner?

love to nibble those micey feet.

United States
                  Member #50182
                  February 28, 2007
                  4 Posts
                  Posted: March 1, 2007, 12:28 am - IP Logged

So So true....

Nicely written by the way...

It's a "ME" world. I see it on the roads everyday. The world dosen't revolve around you...I say to them.....

You don't own the road!!! I tell them....

I call some people on the road foolish and tell them they have too much time on their hands. I call them the "Road Regulators". They're gonna change the world for the better....The road regulators in the left lane.

The ones running me off the road because they have no clue as to checking side mirrors before acting on a move. I'm very lucky to be alive here in Southwest Florida. It's a miracle!

Self centered humans oblivious to their surroundings, caught up in trivial and routine behavior. ME! ME! ME!

Dude/Dudette,

Calm down the font size already....

heh,heh,

Coin Toss's avatar - shape barbed.jpg
                    Zeta Reticuli Star System
                    United States
                    Member #30470
                    January 17, 2006
                    10350 Posts
                    Posted: March 1, 2007, 12:39 am - IP Logged

Justxploring, it just came to me, how to handle it next time.

Learn how to say whatever you want to play, in Spanish! 

Those who run the lotteries love it when players look for consistency in something that's designed not to have any.

Lep

There is one and only one 'proven' system, and that is to book the action. No matter the game, let the players pick their own losers.

Coastal Georgia
                      United States
                      Member #2653
                      October 30, 2003
                      1866 Posts
                      Posted: March 2, 2007, 7:55 am - IP Logged

JustX - Take a minute or so and find the lottery kiosk and fill out a card. This should ( key word is should) take care of the miscommunication.

I have an excellent relationship with the employees at the store I get my tix from, so I can just tell them what I want and they are happy to do it. 

PS-  I forgot to mention that they are never on cell phones, they work two registers, and they are friendly. It helps..

While on the same thread, how many of you have had to deal with clerks that have their nails so long that they have to use a spoon to dig out the coins and place them on the counter for us to pick up ? I have experienced this and it is sickening.

BUT- at least it prevents their nasty , germ incubating,  curled under,  gross appendages from touching me...

where is my hand sanitizer right about now ???

DD

Badger's avatar - adu50016 NorthAmericanBadger.jpg
                        Wisconsin
                        United States
                        Member #1303
                        March 27, 2003
                        1508 Posts
                        Posted: March 3, 2007, 9:36 am - IP Logged

justxploring,

I hate cell phones !  I have one, of course, just like everyone else on earth it seems. But mine is strictly used for business calls. I think cells were sent to us from Hell !

I simply  don't know who the h*ll all these people know that are so important that they have to be on their cells when they should be working or paying attention to what they're doing. There's no one in their lives that imprtant that they need to spend all that time yakking away instead of doing their JOBS!

We have the same problem in our plant. Some day some doofus is going to lose a finger or worse because they are not paying attention to what they are doing.

This clerk you describe should be fired, as far as I'm concerned. She's on the clock. She's bored. TOUGH !  Get another job or deal with it. No one said work was supposed to be all thrills and chills. She's in a public-contact job and she should have been paying attention to her customer !

============

How can you tell if a politician is lying?

Answer: His lips are moving.