Welcome Guest
You last visited January 17, 2017, 5:54 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Why it is important to remain anonymous

Topic closed. 17 replies. Last post 10 years ago by MegaWinner.

Page 1 of 2
PrintE-mailLink
rundown99's avatar - cigar

United States
Member #567
August 14, 2002
485 Posts
Posted: March 2, 2007, 11:58 am - IP Logged

This is undoubtedly one of the most important posts that you will ever see at Lottery Post, and as someone who has posted on here for years, I honestly suggest that you read this very carefully! 

For months, I thought about what I would do if I won the lottery, and what my life would be like.  I thought about where I would want to buy my tickets.  Sometimes, I would think about being anonymous.  Sometimes, I would think about whether to hold a news conference if I couldn't be anonymous in a certain state. 

I wanted to point out that whether you play your numbers or play quick pick, the most important thing regarding the lottery is what you do AFTER you win.  That is the REAL test.

I know that all of you are wondering why I would keep preaching that you should be anonymous if you win.  You are probably tired of hearing me talk about this topic.  But I feel that it is in the best interest of the lottery winner to remain anonymous.  Most states do not allow winners to remain anonymous.  But there are some states (Delaware, Kansas, Maryland, and North Dakota) that allow winners to remain anonymous without the help of an attorney.  Other states (such as Louisiana, New Hampshire, Ohio, and Oklahoma) require help from an attorney and a trust to remain anonymous.  I posted this message before, but I wanted to post this thread again, because a lottery winner's anonymity can be the difference between success and failure in managing a lottery jackpot.  There are several reasons why I think that it is important to play the lottery in a state where you can be anonymous:

#1.  You are GUARANTEED to get the money!!!!

If you claim the lottery prize and your name becomes public, anyone (whether the person is a family member, relative, friend, ex-girlfriend, ex-boyfriend, or stranger) could file a lawsuit, claiming that he/she is entitled to a share of the money.   There have been lawsuits over lottery prizes between friends, acquaintances, family members, and coworkers.  Just imagine the legal fees and time spent all because someone or some people decided to play a "game".

#2.  There is NO possibility of family feuds.

If you win and your name goes public, the first people who will have a hand out are the people who know you personally.  Even if you change your phone number, people will still email you and relatives you haven't seen in years will come out of the woodwork looking for you. 

I read about what happened to William "Bud" Post III, a former carnival worker and cook who did several odd jobs and won $16 million in the Pennsylvania Super 7 lottery in 1988.  His ex-girlfriend successfully sued him for a third of the winnings and one of his siblings allegedly hired a hitman to kill him.  Relatives asked Bud Post to loan them money, and his siblings pestered him to set up business ventures which later failed.  The failures of those businesses strained the relationships between Post and his siblings.  William "Bud" Post later died of respiratory failure in January, 2006. 

Parents will want you to spend lavishly on them and their "friends".  If you have siblings, don't tell me that they won't constantly want a monetary gift.  Don't get me wrong.  I know that everyone has a moral obligation to help his/her family.  But as Robert Sanford says in his book "Infinite Financial Freedom" in the chapter, Don't Give into Family Pressures, there is a right way and a wrong way to help people, and you must follow your plan, NOT theirs.  But there is NO way that family members can fight you over YOUR money if they don't know that you won to begin with. 

#3.  You won't have to worry about the possibility of jealous friends. 

Friends will ask you for money and treat you like a human checking account.  If you turn them down, they will loathe you and resent you.  Some friends will be jealous of you.   Robert Sanford points out in his book, "Infinite Financial Freedom", that some friends will expect you to pay for entire outings when you are with them.    He also says in the chapter "Expect to Lose Some Friends"  that "Human nature is what it is and you, in turn, will lose some friends.  Sorry."  If you are anonymous, you can keep your money AND your friends, because no one except you and the lawyer will know that you won to begin with, as long as you keep your mouth shut.

#4.  You won't have to worry about those annoying lawsuits.

William "Bud" Post was sued by an ex-girlfriend for a third of his jackpot prize.  And they weren't even married!!!  Jack Whittaker was sued by an employee at a race track and he was sued by a bar manager.  A parking attending in New York wins a Mega Millions jackpot, and his wife IMMEDIATELY divorces him and sues him for half of the money.  If you win the lottery and your name gets public, you better be DAMN careful about who you marry, and you better get a pre-nuptual agreement.  Because if you are not careful, that golddigger of a new spouse will want half of your money!  However, if you are anonymous, such problems are not even an issue.

#5.  You will have ABSOLUTE privacy.

Many lottery winners whose identities become public feel the pressure from the news media who repeatedly ask for interviews, strangers asking for money, and relatives coming out of the woodwork.   Imagine what your life would be like if you were at a movie theater and people walked up to you asking for money.  You might as well stay at home 24/7 in a GATED community.  Many people who win the lottery would NOT even want to go through that initial aftermath again.  But if you remain anonymous (in certain states such as North Dakota, Delaware, Kansas, and a few other states with the help of an attorney and trusts), you can actually live a NORMAL life.  Imagine that!!!

********* AND THE MOST IMPORTANT REASON ********* 

#6.  The safety of you and those around you.

A while back, I read an online article from the USA Today (http://www.usatoday.com/news/nation/2005-11-27-lottery-win_x.htm).  This article points out the problems that happened to lottery winners after their windfall.   Some lottery winners have died and even people who didn't win have lost their lives as a result of being around a lottery winner's family.  Imagine if you or your loved one was kidnapped for ransom.  The lottery winner from West Virginia lost his granddaughter and someone died in his home.  A woman from Minnesota whose husband won the Powerball in 2001 was responsible for a drunk-driving accident which killed one person and paralyzed another.  But if you are anonymous, you can be assured that you and your family will be safe. 

I know that many people are probably tired of hearing me point out the importance of anonymity, and I apologize for the extremely long post.  But this website is the most important lottery message forum on the Internet.  And I believe that we have the most determined lottery players in the world looking through the web pages of this site.  Todd has brought to us a great forum for research and communicating with lottery players around the world. 

I would like to thank Todd for a great web site, and I would like to thank all the people who come here to post their thoughts on the message forum.  I would love to hear your thoughts regarding lottery stories and responses to my post.  Remember, as Robert Sanford points out in his book, what is most important is WHAT YOU DO AFTER YOU WIN.  It would be a shame if someone from Lottery Post screwed up his/her life from a lottery windfall despite the invaluable information that can be found throughout these forums.  Thank you again Todd for a great website, and thanks to all of you here at Lottery Post for your time in reading my thoughts.

Good Luck to All of You in your endeavors....

Sincerely Yours,

rundown99

Smart lottery winners form trust to claim their winnings.  They send an attorney to the lottery headquarters to claim the prize in trust, so that ONLY the name of the trust is revealed.  And they tell NO ONE, especially relatives.

If you ever win a lottery and you are single, the only person you should ever marry is someone who was truly in love with you BEFORE you won the jackpot!

United States
    Member #17555
    June 22, 2005
    5582 Posts
    Posted: March 2, 2007, 12:10 pm - IP Logged

I wouldn't cash the ticket in my name. I would let my trusting sister cash it in, and when I give her her share, she would change her name and move somewhere else.

guesser's avatar - Lottery-017.jpg

United States
      Member #41383
      June 16, 2006
      1969 Posts
      Posted: March 2, 2007, 12:25 pm - IP Logged

I'm still against remaining anonymous, but apparently I am one of the few that can and do make effective use of the word 'no'.

It's well-known what I would do if I won: disconnect phones, buy disposable cell phones, and move. I'm going to buy a slightly bigger home anyway, so moving won't be just for the sake of moving or hiding.

And for all the bad things you listed that have happened to other winners over the last 20 years, I can't help but think those things happen in everyday life to everyday people, lottery winners or not. People in bad (family) situations tend to proliferate in them - money or no money. As was discussed earlier, I know two Jackpot winners, neither of them went into hiding, both still live in the same cities, and both of them are having NO problems.

California
        United States
        Member #46824
        October 1, 2006
        270 Posts
        Posted: March 2, 2007, 12:26 pm - IP Logged

pacattack05...one of the problems with this plan is the tax implications.  The IRS would see it as your sister's winnings/income.  Anything she gives to you would fall under the rules of gift tax.  While there are some lifetime exclusions, for a hetfy jackpot, the vast majority of what your sister gives to you would be taxed at 46%.  OUCH!!! 

United States
          Member #17555
          June 22, 2005
          5582 Posts
          Posted: March 2, 2007, 12:41 pm - IP Logged

pacattack05...one of the problems with this plan is the tax implications.  The IRS would see it as your sister's winnings/income.  Anything she gives to you would fall under the rules of gift tax.  While there are some lifetime exclusions, for a hetfy jackpot, the vast majority of what your sister gives to you would be taxed at 46%.  OUCH!!! 

In that case I would do what guesser would do. Tell everyone to go blank themselves.

There are many people here in Naples Florida, who are very wealthy. I'm sure they have lawyers who take care of all the people and organizations that ask for handouts. They have great security,and lastly, those things listed above would be the least of my problems. I sincerely wish I had those kind of problems...LOL

I can't imagine going through life constantly worrying about every little thing, especially when most of the important worries would be eliminated after such a huge win. Never worring about rent, healthcare, food, car payments, retirement money, taking care of family needs, living from pycheck to paycheck...and so on, would definitely eclipse any other problems to me. But that's just my opinion.

But thanx for the heads up, I don't know anything about the legal end of all this, and quite frankly, wouldn't have to worry about it, since I'm probably not going to win anyway....LOL

Here in Florida the odds are about 23 million to 1 for the Lotto.

The odds of getting hit by lightning is about 7 million to one. I'd have to get hit by lightning 3 consecutive times in order to win.

I'll stick with cash-3....That's hard enough for me...LOL

NY
            United States
            Member #23835
            October 16, 2005
            3502 Posts
            Posted: March 2, 2007, 3:41 pm - IP Logged

The money that comes from a big jackpot makes you a more desirable target, but it isn't the money that makes you an easier target. Most of the problems described happened to people who were lottery winners rather than to people because they were lottery winners. If you live in or only a few miles from Delaware or another state that allows you to remain anonymous that's great, but it's simply not worht the bother of driving more than a few miles to buy your tickets.

As far as concealing a win from friends and family, I wish everyone the best of luck, but it simply isn't realistic.  If you can win the lottery and not change your lifestle, why are you playing in the first place? If your lifestyle changes the people who know you are going to notice and they're going to be curious about it. Handing them some BS story will just make them more curious.  The only realistic option I see is to let your friends and family know the truth and be prepared to say no. Better still, let everyone know right up front that you may offer to give them things but you will never give a dime to somebody who asks for it.

Guru101's avatar - rw6jhh
              Indiana
              United States
              Member #48725
              January 7, 2007
              1958 Posts
              Posted: March 2, 2007, 4:17 pm - IP Logged

As I've said in the past, anonymous in the lottery isn't really anonymous. The "anonymous" information is only limited to the lottery. People will still find out about it, especially the people you know. A person doesn't win the lottery and live exactly the same way they did before they won it. The advantage of being "anonymous" isn't being able to get away from the people you do know, but the people you don't know.

United States
                Member #48769
                January 8, 2007
                20 Posts
                Posted: March 4, 2007, 4:13 pm - IP Logged

I'm still against remaining anonymous, but apparently I am one of the few that can and do make effective use of the word 'no'.

It's well-known what I would do if I won: disconnect phones, buy disposable cell phones, and move. I'm going to buy a slightly bigger home anyway, so moving won't be just for the sake of moving or hiding.

And for all the bad things you listed that have happened to other winners over the last 20 years, I can't help but think those things happen in everyday life to everyday people, lottery winners or not. People in bad (family) situations tend to proliferate in them - money or no money. As was discussed earlier, I know two Jackpot winners, neither of them went into hiding, both still live in the same cities, and both of them are having NO problems.

i too wouldnt remain anonymous. in fact, i wouldnt move or change a thing. if someone wants trouble, they have come to the right place. i would install a state of the art security system is about as far as i would go to making changes. i would say NO as often as it took and would gladly run people off my property or wouldnt hesitate to insult them on the phone if it was a plea for money. as far as my familys safety, well i would have security and possible bodyguards.  i would continue to live as i do, using all the technology that i could employ to remain safe and reasonably secure.

justxploring's avatar - villiarna
                  Wandering Aimlessly
                  United States
                  Member #25360
                  November 5, 2005
                  4461 Posts
                  Posted: March 4, 2007, 5:40 pm - IP Logged

I feel the same way about anonymity after a lottery win that I do about my own privacy now.  It's none of anyone's business how I earn my money, as long as it's legal and I pay my taxes.  The toughest thing for me would be living a simple life and buying a home, being part of a community, etc. without my neighbors learning of my good fortune.  I have no desire to live in an expensive home or upscale neighborhood.  BTW, a man on Marco Island (very close to where I live) won $14 million and stayed in his home. I've never heard about any problems he had after he won, except that the Salvation Army sent back his donation. I don't even remember his name. In fact, considering all the states that have lottery games and the hundreds of people who win large jackpots every year, we read about very few of them.

I do agree with rundown99 that it would be much better if your name was kept out of the news to give the winner a chance to settle down.  I think that (in my case) winning millions might create some family conflict if the word got out. 

By the way, not as many people read about the lottery as one might think.  In fact, I'm betting that if you go to your local mall on a busy Sat or Sun and ask 1,000 people who Jack Whittaker is, they won't have a clue, and he's probably the most famous lottery winner.  I only remember the name "West" because there was a recent post mentioning the name, but I forgot all about that family. So if someone who buys lottery tickets every week and posts on a lottery site can't remember who won last year, then I'm guessing most people will forget too. I think it might be a little different if you win $340 million (like the current MM jackpot) because you'll hold a record, but if I won all that money, I'd deal with it! 

tnlotto1's avatar - logo
                    nashville
                    United States
                    Member #49896
                    February 18, 2007
                    1181 Posts
                    Posted: March 4, 2007, 5:41 pm - IP Logged

i agree with you rundown that this is the best site to discuss the lottery and learn more about it and todd has done a great thing and i like you post rundown and we all want to win the lottery and we will have to decide how we handle it when it happens...

MADDOG10's avatar - smoke
                      Beautiful Florida
                      United States
                      Member #5709
                      July 18, 2004
                      20228 Posts
                      Posted: March 4, 2007, 6:03 pm - IP Logged

No, I would'nt want to remain anonymous when I do win the lottery. I'll still go about my buisness the same as usual, except for the fact I wouldn't have to worry anymore.

I'd have a flyer drawn up and hand it to everyone in my family and to friends, saying I'd be more than willing to help someone out as long as you don't ask for a hand out.  period....!

I do know for a fact, that there would be one hell of a party here for everyone at LP.....!

Good luck everyone...!

" You can not control the Wind, but you can direct the Sail "

United States
                        Member #41383
                        June 16, 2006
                        1969 Posts
                        Posted: March 4, 2007, 9:19 pm - IP Logged

PacAttack - no worries about me - I would not tell anyone to F--- themselves - that's asking for trouble, I'd find a more tactful way of saying basically the same thing - if I gave money to every person that wants it, I'd be broke tomorrow.

And for everyone that says they would have their Lawyers, Accountants, or teams of 'people' screening out those that want money, let me ask you: If you are looking for a handout from a lottery winner, how do you know WHO to contact ?   Let's say I won it, and you want money from me, how do you know to go to my 'people' ?   How do you know who exactly my 'people' are ? 

My god some of you are so paranoid, what do you do when you see your own shadow ? 

MegaWinner's avatar - Lottery-029.jpg
                          New Jersey
                          United States
                          Member #50273
                          March 3, 2007
                          348 Posts
                          Posted: March 4, 2007, 9:23 pm - IP Logged

I guess since I am in New Jersey, I have to immediately move and change my contact information.  I would also change my name.  I seriously do not want to be bothered.

United States
                            Member #41383
                            June 16, 2006
                            1969 Posts
                            Posted: March 4, 2007, 9:50 pm - IP Logged

I guess since I am in New Jersey, I have to immediately move and change my contact information.  I would also change my name.  I seriously do not want to be bothered.

It doesn't matter where you live: it matters where the ticket was sold.

Use common sense and you won't be bothered - much - but it's nothing most people can't handle, trust me

justxploring's avatar - villiarna
                              Wandering Aimlessly
                              United States
                              Member #25360
                              November 5, 2005
                              4461 Posts
                              Posted: March 4, 2007, 10:31 pm - IP Logged

It doesn't matter where you live: it matters where the ticket was sold.

Use common sense and you won't be bothered - much - but it's nothing most people can't handle, trust me

Guesser, if you live in a safe, quiet town I would agree with you.  Some people would not be safe if they won millions of dollars and the newspaper printed a story about it.