Welcome Guest
You last visited December 4, 2016, 3:06 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Why it is important to remain anonymous

Topic closed. 17 replies. Last post 10 years ago by MegaWinner.

Page 2 of 2
PrintE-mailLink
guesser's avatar - Lottery-017.jpg

United States
Member #41383
June 16, 2006
1969 Posts
Posted: March 5, 2007, 1:38 am - IP Logged

Guesser, if you live in a safe, quiet town I would agree with you.  Some people would not be safe if they won millions of dollars and the newspaper printed a story about it.

They print stories of lottery winners here: and they print followup stories of how they are doing months, and years later.

If you lived in a 'bad' part of a town, would you come home in a Mercedes ?

I lived in bad parts of towns, and you know the rules: you don't have anything of value, period. No big-screen TV's, no decent stereos, and no really new cars, all of those things either get stolen, or vandalized. It was years  ago I lived in the bad end of LA.

You win the lottery; you disconnect the phone, you buy disposable cell phones, you move to a better part of town, and a year later things are back to normal. You don't need to leave your town, but you WILL probably want a better home in a safer part of town anyway.

There is NO WAY you can win the lottery and still live in the 'bad' part of town and think nobody will know you won the lottery, even if it is not publicized.  People will know when all of a sudden you don't go to work anymore, you dress better, you go to better restaurants, you take 3-week trips to europe, you get a better car(s), you have empty cardboard boxes of cool stuff you bought out on the curb on trash day, people can put 2 and 2 together, and, someone WILL talk, a friend of a friend will say something to someone else, and the cat will be out of the bag. 

As I keep saying: the rules of the Lottery say that you will be used for PR, and you agree to that when you buy a ticket. If you don't agree, then you really should not buy a ticket, it's very clear. 

justxploring's avatar - villiarna
    Wandering Aimlessly
    United States
    Member #25360
    November 5, 2005
    4461 Posts
    Posted: March 5, 2007, 2:05 am - IP Logged

You win the lottery; you disconnect the phone, you buy disposable cell phones, you move to a better part of town, and a year later things are back to normal. You don't need to leave your town, but you WILL probably want a better home in a safer part of town anyway.

Of course, Guesser.   I was only responding to what you wrote about staying in the same place and feeling safe.  I could pack up and move 3 miles from my house and be in an entirely different neighborhood with celebrities as my neighbors.   Actually, I can walk 1 mile to a development on the Gulf of Mexico with homes averaging $5 million ++   I was saying that before your name gets into the news, if a person lives in an area where she feels unsafe or has little security, it might be wise to relocate first.

MegaWinner's avatar - Lottery-029.jpg
      New Jersey
      United States
      Member #50273
      March 3, 2007
      348 Posts
      Posted: March 5, 2007, 11:27 pm - IP Logged

Man look, when I win this mega millions jackpot tomorrow night, I AM moving out of the state before I even make the claim.  My family and friends won't get their share until 2011 when there will be no estate/gift tax and I will fund their living expenses until then. 

But as far as privacy goes, I have have a plan!  I might be bothered for the first month or two but after that, you won't hear from me except when I post here from time to time.