Welcome Guest
You last visited December 6, 2016, 4:15 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Do you see numbers as colors?

Topic closed. 29 replies. Last post 10 years ago by MegaWinner.

Page 2 of 2
PrintE-mailLink
justxploring's avatar - villiarna
Wandering Aimlessly
United States
Member #25360
November 5, 2005
4461 Posts
Posted: March 3, 2007, 5:19 am - IP Logged

By the way, I know this is semantics, but black and white are technically not colors.

So are you saying that black is the absence of color and white is the reflection of all colors based on the sun and the reflection of light?

jarasan's avatar - new patrick.gif
    Harbinger
    D.C./MD.
    United States
    Member #44103
    July 30, 2006
    5583 Posts
    Posted: March 3, 2007, 8:09 am - IP Logged

So are you saying that black is the absence of color and white is the reflection of all colors based on the sun and the reflection of light?

Black absorbs the visible spectrum, white reflects the visible spectrum.  Black is the result of all the visible colors added together and white is zero visible colors.  This is why black car interiors and paint jobs get so hot as opposed to lighter colors, which stay cooler, even though infrared and ultraviolets are invisible, the same holds true.

The closer you get to white the harder it is to see because of the absence of visible spectrum,  throw a little green in and it starts getting easier to see.

LOL jarasan 

United States
      Member #17555
      June 22, 2005
      5582 Posts
      Posted: March 3, 2007, 1:22 pm - IP Logged

Both black and white are combinations of the spectum of light. The only difference is that black absorbs more of the light than white does. You're correct in saying that white reflects more.

This is why it's so important not to wear black colored clothing when it's really hot outside, unless of course you enjoy being extra hot.

Wandering Aimlessly
        United States
        Member #25360
        November 5, 2005
        4461 Posts
        Posted: March 3, 2007, 1:39 pm - IP Logged

Both black and white are combinations of the spectum of light. The only difference is that black absorbs more of the light than white does. You're correct in saying that white reflects more.

This is why it's so important not to wear black colored clothing when it's really hot outside, unless of course you enjoy being extra hot.

Oh, I know that!  Funny - as soon as a person moves to FL she's told "you need to buy a white car." (maybe you've heard that too)  Yes, the car is usually cooler and it also depends on the material and the color of the interior. Leather seats can burn your legs.  So I bought one white car when I first got to FL.  Next car was green and now my car is blue.  However, if you ever work in a car dealership, you'll see that as soon as a shiny black sports car is put on the showroom floor, it's sold. 

Anyway, I have lots of info I once printed out about why the sunset is orange, the sky is blue, etc.   However, when is there really a true black or a true white?  I wear black all the time (yes, even though I live here) and it's really hard to find a matching pair of socks! LOL  Black is a combination of so many colors that, if you break the black down by pigment, you won't always have the same results.

emilyg's avatar - cat anm.gif

United States
          Member #14
          November 9, 2001
          31347 Posts
          Posted: March 3, 2007, 1:42 pm - IP Logged

This may sound a little strange, but does anyone else here associate different digits with particular colors?  I noticed a long time ago that when I think of numbers I see them in different colors.  My favorite Pick 3 number looks something like this:

Here is how my mind colorizes the digits:

0 Black
          1 White
          2 Red
          3 Grey
          4 Blue
          5 Orange
          6 Blue
          7 Yellow
          8 Green
          9 Black

I'm not really sure why both the 0 and 9 are black or why the 4 and 6 are both blue...thats just the way a see 'em.  For some reason the association seems to be much stronger with certain digts...the 2, 5, 7, 8, and 9 always seem to be the strongest for me, especially 5.

Does anyone else see colors when thinking of numbers?

Only when i run out of Prozac!

ROTFL 

love to nibble those micey feet.

Wandering Aimlessly
            United States
            Member #25360
            November 5, 2005
            4461 Posts
            Posted: March 3, 2007, 1:45 pm - IP Logged

Only when i run out of Prozac!

ROTFL 

That's what I need, Emily!  Have any extra?

I suppose it's possible to see numbers in color.  Why not?  Is there a way to scientifically prove how any of us see words or numbers or even colors?  I can say "that's red" and someone might agree that it is indeed red.  But how do I know what he/she is seeing?

lotterybraker's avatar - pyramid
              mississippi
              United States
              Member #34478
              March 3, 2006
              5903 Posts
              Posted: March 3, 2007, 2:14 pm - IP Logged

LOL..prozac...good one....very good one...!!!!

"Attention all Mathematicians: Check your degree at the door because when it comes to whole numbers you are the Amateur"

Badger's avatar - adu50016 NorthAmericanBadger.jpg
                Wisconsin
                United States
                Member #1303
                March 27, 2003
                1508 Posts
                Posted: March 3, 2007, 4:42 pm - IP Logged

Are hue kidding?

In my teenage years, I used to see everything in colors. Especially my pet named white rabbit.

Unfortunately he dyed a month later.

LOL !  God will get you for that. LOL

============

How can you tell if a politician is lying?

Answer: His lips are moving.

Harbinger
                  D.C./MD.
                  United States
                  Member #44103
                  July 30, 2006
                  5583 Posts
                  Posted: March 3, 2007, 6:04 pm - IP Logged

That's what I need, Emily!  Have any extra?

I suppose it's possible to see numbers in color.  Why not?  Is there a way to scientifically prove how any of us see words or numbers or even colors?  I can say "that's red" and someone might agree that it is indeed red.  But how do I know what he/she is seeing?

The real color enhancers come from the fungis.  Peyote, psilicibin, sp.? etc.  But really, which would you chose; the little blue pill or the slightly larger red pill?  The light we perceive comes from a very narrow band of the spectrum, a great movie where something "sees" differently than we do was the Predator movies,  that was good sci-fi with regards to the usage of special effects, the stuff they were doing in the movie is not far off from being reality (with the exception of the hunter of man or whatever alien). The bending of light and the aliens' vision being in another part of spectrum (not ours!) Anyway LOL  I gotta pick a few bonus match 5's and hopefully I'll be seeing green before St. Patrick's Day! Lep Top o' the evening to ya! See you at the end of the rainbow!

United States
                    Member #17555
                    June 22, 2005
                    5582 Posts
                    Posted: March 3, 2007, 6:17 pm - IP Logged

The real color enhancers come from the fungis.  Peyote, psilicibin, sp.? etc.  But really, which would you chose; the little blue pill or the slightly larger red pill?  The light we perceive comes from a very narrow band of the spectrum, a great movie where something "sees" differently than we do was the Predator movies,  that was good sci-fi with regards to the usage of special effects, the stuff they were doing in the movie is not far off from being reality (with the exception of the hunter of man or whatever alien). The bending of light and the aliens' vision being in another part of spectrum (not ours!) Anyway LOL  I gotta pick a few bonus match 5's and hopefully I'll be seeing green before St. Patrick's Day! Lep Top o' the evening to ya! See you at the end of the rainbow!

Thanx for reminding me of something I wanted to mention, but forgot to.

Bees can see ultraviolet light. Humans can't.

" I see ultraviolet people"

United States
                      Member #17555
                      June 22, 2005
                      5582 Posts
                      Posted: March 3, 2007, 6:31 pm - IP Logged

LOL !  God will get you for that. LOL

He already did!

And that's why I'm here....LOL

angelm's avatar - anne
                        richmond ky.
                        United States
                        Member #15877
                        May 22, 2005
                        8472 Posts
                        Posted: March 3, 2007, 6:59 pm - IP Logged

Winning numbers =green $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

truecritic's avatar - PirateTreasure
                          Michigan
                          United States
                          Member #22395
                          September 24, 2005
                          1583 Posts
                          Posted: March 4, 2007, 5:43 am - IP Logged

I find it strange that, if 4% of the population has synesthesia, why someone here at LP hasn't posted that they also have it?  Other than Prozac <grin>

That is 4 out of 100 people - and there are thousands of members, yet no one mentions having it. 

Then I wonder if there is any "super power" associated with having it?  (Heros NBC Monday night - "Save the cheerleader, save the world")

Harbinger
                            D.C./MD.
                            United States
                            Member #44103
                            July 30, 2006
                            5583 Posts
                            Posted: March 4, 2007, 7:47 pm - IP Logged

I find it strange that, if 4% of the population has synesthesia, why someone here at LP hasn't posted that they also have it?  Other than Prozac <grin>

That is 4 out of 100 people - and there are thousands of members, yet no one mentions having it. 

Then I wonder if there is any "super power" associated with having it?  (Heros NBC Monday night - "Save the cheerleader, save the world")

I would guess that everybody has it to some degree, it probably varies widely as to how severe the effect of the condition.  I wonder if, when I hear something that gives me goosebumps, or smell something that brings back memories is a mild form of synesthesia.  The color of the paint in the room supposedly affects mood etc.  Also, I've definitely seen red but I think that is from my head getting ready to explodeAngry or when I'm feeling blueFrown.  Maybe this is where this originated from and diagnosed later in more severe cases. I guess I'll look that one up.  LOL jarasan

MegaWinner's avatar - Lottery-029.jpg
                              New Jersey
                              United States
                              Member #50273
                              March 3, 2007
                              348 Posts
                              Posted: March 4, 2007, 9:08 pm - IP Logged

No but I hear and smell colors.  If I hear certain notes, I always get this feeling that the sound is a specific color.  And when I smell a smell, I see a color.