Welcome Guest
You last visited December 7, 2016, 7:02 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

MM Winner Press Coverage

Topic closed. 15 replies. Last post 10 years ago by LckyLary.

Page 1 of 2
PrintE-mailLink
California
United States
Member #46824
October 1, 2006
270 Posts
Posted: March 8, 2007, 11:51 am - IP Logged

One of the constant themes on LP is to remain quiet and put together a team of professionals to help when you win the big jackpot.  Well as we all know, it appears that Ed Nabors, one of the two lucky winners from the recent MM drawing did neither.

How did this story appear in your local newspaper?  Out here in California it was front page news, below the fold with a color picture of Ed Nabors, hometown and even his mother's name. 

It would be interesting to see how much press a big winner gets all over the country.  Please reply with how it was coverd in your area.

Looking forward to seeing your responses.

guesser's avatar - Lottery-017.jpg

United States
    Member #41383
    June 16, 2006
    1969 Posts
    Posted: March 8, 2007, 1:39 pm - IP Logged

Newspaper ?

What's that ?

95% of my news reading is online - most papers have free online editions, and I only read one section of the local 'paper' online, and any grocery ads you can grab when you walk in the store. 

MegaWinner's avatar - Lottery-029.jpg
      New Jersey
      United States
      Member #50273
      March 3, 2007
      348 Posts
      Posted: March 8, 2007, 2:52 pm - IP Logged

I live in south NJ and haven't heard anything about the winners here except one old man thought he won and even went as far as calling out of work and hiring a lawyer onlyto find out that he matched all 6 numbers but the mega ball and a white ball number was swapped.  That absolutely HAD to suck.

I have a feeling I think I knew who won.  Someone in my neighborhood shouted "OH MY GOD" very loud the next morning after the drawing and I haven't seen her or her boyfriend since then.  I realy do think it was them.  I'll know for sure if they ever show up here again lol.  Oh and they are about 28-32 years old.  A Filipina and a White kid.

Coin Toss's avatar - shape barbed.jpg
        Zeta Reticuli Star System
        United States
        Member #30470
        January 17, 2006
        10351 Posts
        Posted: March 8, 2007, 7:14 pm - IP Logged

Downstate Illlinois, way downstate-lol

Back page of secton A (first section) of the local paper, all text, no photos. Very generic article, didn't go into any detail about the winners other than where the tickets were bought.  

".....and now for grain futures...."

Those who run the lotteries love it when players look for consistency in something that's designed not to have any.

Lep

There is one and only one 'proven' system, and that is to book the action. No matter the game, let the players pick their own losers.

justxploring's avatar - villiarna
          Wandering Aimlessly
          United States
          Member #25360
          November 5, 2005
          4461 Posts
          Posted: March 8, 2007, 7:24 pm - IP Logged

I didn't see anything at all about the MegaMillions drawing in the paper, but we don't have the game in our state and Florida is very "protective" of its own Lottery, so it doesn't seem to make a big deal out of PB and MM.  On the other hand, like Guesser, I often just read my news online or watch the 11:00 news and CNN.

I've seen many other winners come forward the next day, but I can't imagine winning all that money and not making plans ahead of time.  I hope for his sakes he and his family won't be harassed. There are a lot of nuts out there and many greedy people looking for a handout.  (The news didn't mention a wife in any of the articles.  Can someone give me directions to Dalton, GA? LOL) 

TheGameGrl's avatar - character catafly.jpg
            A long and winding road
            United States
            Member #17084
            June 10, 2005
            4526 Posts
            Posted: March 8, 2007, 10:37 pm - IP Logged

Two things that surprised me when reading our article in the newspaper.

1: That he gets the full amount in ten days!

2: That he even came forward so soon. Truly its the most unwise thing a person can do, other then running down the street screaming they are a the jackpot winner, and having the winning ticket blow off in the wind!

Our newspaper does National News so the article was written from the Associated Press and not our local writers.

I sense this man is going to regret coming forth so quickly without proper advisal.  I pray when the Nj winner comes forth, its with the advisal of a solid financial plan.

~~Is it true, Is it kind,Is it necessary. ~~~

Thanks be to the giving numbers: 1621,912,119 02014

NY
              United States
              Member #23835
              October 16, 2005
              3474 Posts
              Posted: March 9, 2007, 12:16 am - IP Logged

I just caught a short spot on the 11PM news out of Albany, NY.  I came in part way through, so they may have talked about other things, but what I caught was about his phone ringing constantly and people looking for money, financial advisors wanting to give him advice, etc. The story didn't say if people are knocking on his door yet.

Geez, who would have thought that people would be calling him up and that it might have been a good idea to change his phone number before claiming the money? I'd be happy to have him prove me wrong, but I'm guessing that somebody who can't even wait 16 hours to claim the prize is going to fall off of the learning curve a few times while  figuring out how to be a lottery winner.

Coin Toss's avatar - shape barbed.jpg
                Zeta Reticuli Star System
                United States
                Member #30470
                January 17, 2006
                10351 Posts
                Posted: March 9, 2007, 2:33 am - IP Logged

A "winner protection program" is sounding like a better idea all the time.  

Find a need and fill it.... 

Those who run the lotteries love it when players look for consistency in something that's designed not to have any.

Lep

There is one and only one 'proven' system, and that is to book the action. No matter the game, let the players pick their own losers.

bob27's avatar - chakra man1.jpg
                  chicago
                  United States
                  Member #34162
                  February 28, 2006
                  315 Posts
                  Posted: March 9, 2007, 9:39 am - IP Logged

He is an old 52 years old truck driver.Looks like,he doesnt really care about protections or lawyers.

If i will win that money,i would probably do the same.I would worry all that time,that someone would 

steal my ticket,or laywer or financial advisers,maybe friends,or someone i dont know,or i will just

lose that ticket,and never claim that prize.He went there,claimed the prize,and now he is gonna get

financial advisers,and dissapear.

TheGameGrl's avatar - character catafly.jpg
                    A long and winding road
                    United States
                    Member #17084
                    June 10, 2005
                    4526 Posts
                    Posted: March 9, 2007, 10:55 pm - IP Logged

He is an old 52 years old truck driver.Looks like,he doesnt really care about protections or lawyers.

If i will win that money,i would probably do the same.I would worry all that time,that someone would 

steal my ticket,or laywer or financial advisers,maybe friends,or someone i dont know,or i will just

lose that ticket,and never claim that prize.He went there,claimed the prize,and now he is gonna get

financial advisers,and dissapear.

I can see how worry would get the better of a person.

I sum up the idea of getting financial and security protection prior to claiming as buckling up and having car insurance BEFORE starting the engine. Age has less to do with it then sheer common sense.

This guy put the cart before the horse in my opinion.  My senses tell me this fellow will be in and out of the media for years to come...

~~Is it true, Is it kind,Is it necessary. ~~~

Thanks be to the giving numbers: 1621,912,119 02014

NY
                      United States
                      Member #23835
                      October 16, 2005
                      3474 Posts
                      Posted: March 10, 2007, 4:08 am - IP Logged

If you want a reason to worry about something going wrong try driving a few hours to the lottery claim office with $75 million in cash in your pocket, because thats exactly what this guy did.

United States
                        Member #41383
                        June 16, 2006
                        1969 Posts
                        Posted: March 10, 2007, 4:24 am - IP Logged

I kinda don't see a problem with it (coming forward so soon).

But as we all know, the FIRST thing you do is not just change your phone number but disconnect it and buy disposable cell phones, second thing you do is grab everything important out of your home and find a motel and have a CLOSE friend pay for it with their credit card (remember - we are all going to 'gift' our closest friends, right ? Well, this is where they EARN it).

As you said, he can get the money in 10 days, he should be able to find his bearings in 10 days, but somehow I doubt he will..... 

OldSchoolPa's avatar - Lottery-057.jpg
                          Gurnee, Illinois
                          United States
                          Member #49731
                          February 12, 2007
                          917 Posts
                          Posted: March 10, 2007, 7:36 am - IP Logged

One of the constant themes on LP is to remain quiet and put together a team of professionals to help when you win the big jackpot.  Well as we all know, it appears that Ed Nabors, one of the two lucky winners from the recent MM drawing did neither.

How did this story appear in your local newspaper?  Out here in California it was front page news, below the fold with a color picture of Ed Nabors, hometown and even his mother's name. 

It would be interesting to see how much press a big winner gets all over the country.  Please reply with how it was coverd in your area.

Looking forward to seeing your responses.

Truthfully, had I had all six matching numbers, I too would have come forward immediately...like Thursday.  The news reporters would have found you eventually anyway if you decided to stay in the area.  I would have come forward immediately for several reasons:  1) my wife doesn't like me playing the lottery, so in coming forward immediately, my media appearance would have been quick and brief and would have enabled me to do damage control better...like Friday, I would have taken my wife out to breakfast so that she could miss seeing my mug shot on the morning newscasts; 2) I already have investment accounts setup to handle investments of that magnitude (no I don't bank at hundreds of banks, just an investment company), and it would be just a quick swipe of my pen to open up others as need be (BTW I would also get paid on my own investments...how cool is that!); 3) I would eventually consult with my legal team and tax consultants (already in place), but I wouldn't trust any of them to be the face for my wealth (just a personal preference and not indicative of a trust factor with them)...besides, they are currently BUSY with this year's tax filing deadline...they'll be in a better position to advise me on tax issues AFTER April 17th.  It's not like Uncle Sam is going to pay Mr. Nabors a visit this year...so no need to sweat the small stuff.  I would say his biggest problem might be saying no to all the free loaders sure to be lining up at his door...so if I was him, I would go somewhere tropical in the next 15 days (after he gets his XX Million dollar check) and cool out for awhile FISHING.  Had I won and if anyone subsequently came up to me asking me to help pay this or that or to lend them some money for a business plan, I would first ask them if they would approach someone like Bill Gates, Michael Dell, Warren Buffett, or Paris Hilton with such a request.  Then I would recommend they first go to whatever financial or banking institution they currently do business and present their business plan to them.  If it doesn't fly with them, then it won't fly with me...especially since I am not in the lending business.  I think that would effectively take care of the free loaders.  I think just because people come into "found" money, people perceive that different from gains acquired to work, business, or generational inheritance.  I don't.  Money gained is money gained...the only important aspect is that it is gained honestly and legally...other than that, there is no difference in my opinion.

Get MONEY!!! Winning a JACKPOT lottery is all the HOPE and CHANGE I desire!!!  NOW give me MONEY!US Flag

The guy who won the presidency in 2008 really won the lottery...he is now millions richer, travels in first class style, and even has a staff that would be the envy of the richest Powerball winner (she has a staff of 2). Every night he goes to sleep, he probably plays the close of Dave Chappelle's Show: I'm rich beyatch!

California
                            United States
                            Member #46824
                            October 1, 2006
                            270 Posts
                            Posted: March 10, 2007, 10:53 am - IP Logged

KT Floyd...I found the press conference for this guy.  Once he contacted the Georgia Lottery they sent a van to drive him the few hours to Atlanta.  What service!!!!

United States
                              Member #41383
                              June 16, 2006
                              1969 Posts
                              Posted: March 10, 2007, 7:58 pm - IP Logged

Truthfully, had I had all six matching numbers, I too would have come forward immediately...like Thursday.  The news reporters would have found you eventually anyway if you decided to stay in the area.  I would have come forward immediately for several reasons:  1) my wife doesn't like me playing the lottery, so in coming forward immediately, my media appearance would have been quick and brief and would have enabled me to do damage control better...like Friday, I would have taken my wife out to breakfast so that she could miss seeing my mug shot on the morning newscasts; 2) I already have investment accounts setup to handle investments of that magnitude (no I don't bank at hundreds of banks, just an investment company), and it would be just a quick swipe of my pen to open up others as need be (BTW I would also get paid on my own investments...how cool is that!); 3) I would eventually consult with my legal team and tax consultants (already in place), but I wouldn't trust any of them to be the face for my wealth (just a personal preference and not indicative of a trust factor with them)...besides, they are currently BUSY with this year's tax filing deadline...they'll be in a better position to advise me on tax issues AFTER April 17th.  It's not like Uncle Sam is going to pay Mr. Nabors a visit this year...so no need to sweat the small stuff.  I would say his biggest problem might be saying no to all the free loaders sure to be lining up at his door...so if I was him, I would go somewhere tropical in the next 15 days (after he gets his XX Million dollar check) and cool out for awhile FISHING.  Had I won and if anyone subsequently came up to me asking me to help pay this or that or to lend them some money for a business plan, I would first ask them if they would approach someone like Bill Gates, Michael Dell, Warren Buffett, or Paris Hilton with such a request.  Then I would recommend they first go to whatever financial or banking institution they currently do business and present their business plan to them.  If it doesn't fly with them, then it won't fly with me...especially since I am not in the lending business.  I think that would effectively take care of the free loaders.  I think just because people come into "found" money, people perceive that different from gains acquired to work, business, or generational inheritance.  I don't.  Money gained is money gained...the only important aspect is that it is gained honestly and legally...other than that, there is no difference in my opinion.

PARIS HILTON ?

I swear, I don't know where you people come up with some of this stuff....  'OldSchoolPumpi' ?  LOL

Besides, she'd be apt to say 'I won't give you any money, but I will give you.....' (use your imagination, we need a good laugh).

I would not send anyone to any of my financial advisors - that would be giving them false hope.....