Welcome Guest
You last visited December 4, 2016, 11:27 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Arrgghh! I Marked the PowerBall Ticket Wrong!

Topic closed. 20 replies. Last post 10 years ago by LuckyLilly.

Page 1 of 2
PrintE-mailLink

What Should I Do?

Chill out & save $10, you weren't gonna win anyway [ 12 ]  [36.36%]
Go buy another ticket for $20 with the PowePlay [ 18 ]  [54.55%]
Buy a quickpick with the PowerPlay [ 3 ]  [9.09%]
Total Valid Votes [ 33 ]  
Discarded Votes [ 3 ]  
LuckyLilly's avatar - savy chick.png

United States
Member #50124
February 26, 2007
601 Posts
Posted: March 9, 2007, 3:36 pm - IP Logged

I forgot to mark the PowerPlay on my Powerball ticket!  And I got 10 consecutive draws too, which means I could be without the PP for 5 weeks.  These are numbers I've been playing for 10 years or so, and I'd be ticked royally if I hit 5 without getting the multiplier.  So should I go back and buy another ticket with the PowerPlay?

Baltimore, MD
    United States
    Member #1221
    March 4, 2003
    13 Posts
    Posted: March 9, 2007, 3:40 pm - IP Logged

I would go back and play again.

United States
      Member #10438
      January 13, 2005
      431 Posts
      Posted: March 9, 2007, 3:59 pm - IP Logged

lol dude if i learned anything from playin lotto its the FACT that changing numbers that you've played 4ever is A HUGE MISTAKE (((learded this the very hard way like about 200k))  go back return tickets and get excatly what you want  no ands/ifs or buts

derek7's avatar - speedykat
        IL
        United States
        Member #34578
        March 4, 2006
        198 Posts
        Posted: March 9, 2007, 4:58 pm - IP Logged

lol dude if i learned anything from playin lotto its the FACT that changing numbers that you've played 4ever is A HUGE MISTAKE (((learded this the very hard way like about 200k))  go back return tickets and get excatly what you want  no ands/ifs or buts

I Agree!

United States
          Member #50124
          February 26, 2007
          601 Posts
          Posted: March 9, 2007, 5:08 pm - IP Logged

Unfortunately, there's no way to void the ticket.  The store probably would have taken it back, but they'd have sold it to another customer who'd be out there with my numbers.  Besides, I'm the one who made the mistake on the ticket, not the clerk, so I'd feel bad making her try to resell the ticket.

So, I bit the bullet and spent the $20 on a new ticket with the PowerPlay.  I really didn't want to spend another $20 on lottery this month, but oh well.  Guess I have to look at the positive side.  Now if I match 5, I'll win an extra 200k besides whatever the ticket with the multiplier wins.  Yes Nod

sirbrad's avatar - Lottery-062.jpg
            PA
            United States
            Member #22983
            October 6, 2005
            2226 Posts
            Posted: March 9, 2007, 10:34 pm - IP Logged

You only win when you don't play it. If you go back and replay it, it is sure to be a loser.

guesser's avatar - Lottery-017.jpg

United States
              Member #41383
              June 16, 2006
              1969 Posts
              Posted: March 10, 2007, 1:14 am - IP Logged

I would have bought different number schemes the second time around.

NY
                United States
                Member #23835
                October 16, 2005
                3474 Posts
                Posted: March 10, 2007, 3:39 am - IP Logged

My suggestion would be to spend the extra $10 on the same 5 number combinations but with different powerballs. If you win a lower level prize and the powerplay is 2 you win at least as much as you'd have won with powerplay. If the powerplay is more than 2 you win less, with one exception. If you hit 5+0 on the usual numbers you've now got  a 1 in 41 chance of also hitting the jackpot.

United States
                  Member #50124
                  February 26, 2007
                  601 Posts
                  Posted: March 10, 2007, 1:23 pm - IP Logged

My suggestion would be to spend the extra $10 on the same 5 number combinations but with different powerballs. If you win a lower level prize and the powerplay is 2 you win at least as much as you'd have won with powerplay. If the powerplay is more than 2 you win less, with one exception. If you hit 5+0 on the usual numbers you've now got  a 1 in 41 chance of also hitting the jackpot.

Oh, I like that idea!  Now I wish I'd waited till today to decide what to do.  Like Sirbrad said tho, since I bought a ticket, the numbers surely won't come up now.  Dead

Coin Toss's avatar - shape barbed.jpg
                    Zeta Reticuli Star System
                    United States
                    Member #30470
                    January 17, 2006
                    10348 Posts
                    Posted: March 10, 2007, 1:57 pm - IP Logged

I forgot to mark the PowerPlay on my Powerball ticket!  And I got 10 consecutive draws too, which means I could be without the PP for 5 weeks.  These are numbers I've been playing for 10 years or so, and I'd be ticked royally if I hit 5 without getting the multiplier.  So should I go back and buy another ticket with the PowerPlay?

If you had to travel to a Powerball state to get the tickets, and it's a long trip, I'd say just go with the tickets you have.

If you're in a Powerball state, couldn't you just play them the way you really wanted to, drawing by drawing? 

Those who run the lotteries love it when players look for consistency in something that's designed not to have any.

Lep

There is one and only one 'proven' system, and that is to book the action. No matter the game, let the players pick their own losers.

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
                      mid-Ohio
                      United States
                      Member #9
                      March 24, 2001
                      19823 Posts
                      Posted: March 10, 2007, 2:30 pm - IP Logged

I don't play PowerPlay but when the PB jackpot exceeds $200M, I've travel to Indiana to get tickets and forgotten to mark my play slips for multi-drawings.  So far I've been lucky, the jackpot was won that drawing or when it rolled my numbers wouldn't have won anyway.

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning ticket * 

Evil Looking       

EAST COAST, USA
                        United States
                        Member #49428
                        January 31, 2007
                        553 Posts
                        Posted: March 10, 2007, 2:47 pm - IP Logged

Stick with what ya do! Go back and do it right!

justxploring's avatar - villiarna
                          Wandering Aimlessly
                          United States
                          Member #25360
                          November 5, 2005
                          4461 Posts
                          Posted: March 10, 2007, 3:42 pm - IP Logged

The odds are so slim that I probably wouldn't.  On the other hand, I'd be very upset if I won $200,000 instead of $800,000.  Depends on your personality.  I look at Deal or No Deal and wonder how those people feel who turned down over $200K and walked away with a few bucks.  Some people can just say "I came here with nothing, so it's okay."  I wouldn't be that nonchalant about it.

Once I made a mistake and I ended up going back to buy "the right" ticket, but it wasn't for PB.

United States
                            Member #50124
                            February 26, 2007
                            601 Posts
                            Posted: March 10, 2007, 4:08 pm - IP Logged

The odds are so slim that I probably wouldn't.  On the other hand, I'd be very upset if I won $200,000 instead of $800,000.  Depends on your personality.  I look at Deal or No Deal and wonder how those people feel who turned down over $200K and walked away with a few bucks.  Some people can just say "I came here with nothing, so it's okay."  I wouldn't be that nonchalant about it.

Once I made a mistake and I ended up going back to buy "the right" ticket, but it wasn't for PB.

I wouldn't be that nonchalant about it either.  Yeah, so they did go there with nothing, but I'd feel like I just screwed up the once chance the Universe gave me to get ahead in life, and I'd be sick about it.  Who knows if another windfall will come in this lifetime?

Yeah, my personality dictates that I go back and get a new ticket with the PowerPlay.  

justxploring's avatar - villiarna
                              Wandering Aimlessly
                              United States
                              Member #25360
                              November 5, 2005
                              4461 Posts
                              Posted: March 10, 2007, 5:41 pm - IP Logged

I wouldn't be that nonchalant about it either.  Yeah, so they did go there with nothing, but I'd feel like I just screwed up the once chance the Universe gave me to get ahead in life, and I'd be sick about it.  Who knows if another windfall will come in this lifetime?

Yeah, my personality dictates that I go back and get a new ticket with the PowerPlay.  

Thanks - I always like to hear when someone else is almost as neurotic about things as I am!  LOL

Speaking of TV game shows, the other night I was watching a game show, but I'm not sure which one.  It was a very simple question about the pH scale, but maybe it was simple to me because I used to be in the food packaging business, so I know that it measures the concentration of hydrogen ions. The pH scale is from 1 to 14, 7 being neutral (purified water) and the lower numbers being acidic, higher being alkaline.  Anyway, the question was multiple choice and the man called someone who is a doctor and teaches at an Ivy League college.  (so the game must have been Who Wants To be A Millionaire..think that's the only game where you can call a friend)  The doctor answered 1-10 and I was yelling at my TV set like a fool "No, don't listen to him. I know he's wrong. It's 1-14!!!" He lost - think he left with $1,000.  Wouldn't you be pretty upset at your friend? Guess that's the chance you take when you pick someone you think has all the answers!!