Welcome Guest
You last visited December 7, 2016, 4:15 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Do they use the same ball machine for midday and pm?

Topic closed. 17 replies. Last post 10 years ago by Stack47.

Page 1 of 2
PrintE-mailLink

United States
Member #50319
March 3, 2007
42 Posts
Posted: March 12, 2007, 3:38 pm - IP Logged

I'm trying to play trending numbers. I looked around various places and even called the lottery office, but no definite answer to my question.

My question is, "Do they use the same ball machine in Georgia or other states for both the midday and evening Cash 3 and Cash 4?". And a second question is, "How often do they replace the balls in the machines?". 

I'm guessing they have a periodic maintenance schedule and replace the balls and maybe even the whole machine to prevent any physical damage in skewing the probability. It would be nice to know how long a period to track trends.

If they change the balls or machine every 30 days, 60 days, etc, that may have a bearing on trends in the results.

Thanks in advance.  

four4me's avatar - gate1
    MD
    United States
    Member #1701
    June 18, 2003
    8361 Posts
    Posted: March 12, 2007, 4:48 pm - IP Logged

lot of questions you have there

do they use the same machines from draw to draw? sometimes but more than likely they rotate them.

do they use the same ball sets from draw to draw? doubtfully, every lottery uses different methods regarding there procedures.

How often do they replace the balls in the machines?". I heard they change out or discard the balls when they show signs of wear.

LAVERNE MALONEY's avatar - smallgirl

United States
      Member #1987
      August 5, 2003
      8968 Posts
      Posted: March 12, 2007, 5:08 pm - IP Logged

When I look at different lottery draws from different states, you should see the look of intensity & fear (that on the edge of your seat kind of look) on some of the lottery officials faces when they draw three of the same numbered balls in a pick 4 draw.

It's like this they draw the first pick 4 digit, then the second one, then the third digit & if the three digits are the same, they hesitate about 2 seconds longer for that 4th ball to be drawn. If you keep up the rhythm sometimes it could very well be QUAD$.

ScaredScaredScaredScared

Kentucky
        United States
        Member #32652
        February 14, 2006
        7310 Posts
        Posted: March 12, 2007, 6:33 pm - IP Logged

I'm trying to play trending numbers. I looked around various places and even called the lottery office, but no definite answer to my question.

My question is, "Do they use the same ball machine in Georgia or other states for both the midday and evening Cash 3 and Cash 4?". And a second question is, "How often do they replace the balls in the machines?". 

I'm guessing they have a periodic maintenance schedule and replace the balls and maybe even the whole machine to prevent any physical damage in skewing the probability. It would be nice to know how long a period to track trends.

If they change the balls or machine every 30 days, 60 days, etc, that may have a bearing on trends in the results.

Thanks in advance.  

Don't know how they do it in Georgia but know what they do in Ohio and that process is probably standard in all states using bingo/keno type machines.

"If they change the balls or machine every 30 days, 60 days, etc, that may have a bearing on trends in the results."

They have several machines and several sets of balls and randomly determine which machines and which set of balls to use each draw. The balls are removed and examined after each draw. The machine having the first digit in today's Pick-3 draw might have been used for the third digit in last Thursday's evening Pick-4 draw.

There are other drawing methods and that could affect trends. 

LOTTOMIKE's avatar - cash money.jpg
          Tennessee
          United States
          Member #7853
          October 15, 2004
          11338 Posts
          Posted: March 13, 2007, 7:52 am - IP Logged

on the computerized draws i wonder if they ever rotate the computers,lol

Raven62's avatar - binary
            New Jersey
            United States
            Member #17843
            June 28, 2005
            49725 Posts
            Posted: March 13, 2007, 8:29 am - IP Logged

on the computerized draws i wonder if they ever rotate the computers,lol

You can find the answer when this download completes:

LOL!

A mind once stretched by a new idea never returns to its original dimensions!

CCHS13's avatar - chi jpeg.jpg
              Illinois
              United States
              Member #46704
              September 23, 2006
              3692 Posts
              Posted: March 13, 2007, 11:28 am - IP Logged

Not to mention they have test draws before the official draw, from what I hear they

have several test draws before and after the "official" drawing.  So the actual number

reported is from a draw that was in the middle of all the drawings

Men Lie Women Lie Numbers Dont

Tennessee
                United States
                Member #7853
                October 15, 2004
                11338 Posts
                Posted: March 15, 2007, 2:39 am - IP Logged

You can find the answer when this download completes:

LOL!

i've been sitting here forever waiting on this to download!

Tennessee
                  United States
                  Member #7853
                  October 15, 2004
                  11338 Posts
                  Posted: March 16, 2007, 3:33 am - IP Logged

i'll admit that joke was very.......

kkkathleen's avatar - yocco
                    south houston, TX
                    United States
                    Member #46359
                    September 8, 2006
                    893 Posts
                    Posted: March 18, 2007, 6:39 pm - IP Logged

Texas has 3 machines (we only have pick 3 ) they change them the first of each month. They used to be machines A

Kentucky
                      United States
                      Member #32652
                      February 14, 2006
                      7310 Posts
                      Posted: March 18, 2007, 7:47 pm - IP Logged

Texas has 3 machines (we only have pick 3 ) they change them the first of each month. They used to be machines A

You only see 3 machines but I'll bet there is more because of a possible malfunction. Did they say they use the same set of balls for a month or if the balls go unchecked for a month?

kkkathleen's avatar - yocco
                        south houston, TX
                        United States
                        Member #46359
                        September 8, 2006
                        893 Posts
                        Posted: March 18, 2007, 8:59 pm - IP Logged

Sorry,   my message was a lot longer but was edited. There are 3 machines for pick 3 A, B, & C. I think they got three new machines and started using them in April 06, they are the next 3 letters. I am not allowed to use one of those letters. When I do my posts don't come out!They change machines the first of the month. If you look at the pre-test(txlottery.com) you can see which machine they are using if you are looking for trends with machines you can check pre-test and results on that site. In georgia they use the same machine for pick 3 & pick 4. I read about it on one of the posts. I don't know anything else about Georgia's drawings. I remember because I thought that would make it extremely hard to predict either! I read it a month or two ago. You may be able to use the search to find the posts and contact whoever it was for more info. It was posted by a longtime regular poster. Sorry I don't remember   who!

lottobrain's avatar - box
                          Smyrna, DE
                          United States
                          Member #10074
                          January 1, 2005
                          125 Posts
                          Posted: March 18, 2007, 9:35 pm - IP Logged

In Delaware they have a glass cabinet containing two computers, each with 3 different random programs installed.  They use a set of cards to randomly select which of the two machines will be used for a drawing.  They also have a set of cards which they use to select which of the 3 programs will be used.  This gives them 6 different possibilities, so that if anyone could get to the computers to try to do something to the programs, etc., they would have to change 6 programs.  The cabinet is locked each time it is used and a seal installed which would show any tampering. These computers are not supposed to be connected to any outside lines in any way.  The draw process is conducted by a state lottery draw manager and an outside auditor (who is hired by the lottery to oversee the process).  The lottery always states that the "players are quite happy with this process and are not interested in seeing live drawings return".  However, I have yet to run into any of these players out on the street that agree with these ideas. Players are encouraged to go the lottery office and view this draw process, but very few do. The numbers are selected by a very much varied "button' pushing process.  This is one area that I do not like.  I think that the process of pressing the selection button should be conducted with a timed sequence much like the televised process used to be done.  I know we are only talking about "electrons" here, but maybe some kind of "bias" could still be tracked as in real ball machines if the process were conducted in an orderly fashion.I also think that this process should be what is video taped for viewing by anyone coming to see a past draw video and not the "animated" cartoon video they make after the draw where they insert the selected numbers into the cartoon program that shows computer generated video of the ball machines and balls.

Kentucky
                            United States
                            Member #32652
                            February 14, 2006
                            7310 Posts
                            Posted: March 18, 2007, 10:53 pm - IP Logged

Sorry,   my message was a lot longer but was edited. There are 3 machines for pick 3 A, B, & C. I think they got three new machines and started using them in April 06, they are the next 3 letters. I am not allowed to use one of those letters. When I do my posts don't come out!They change machines the first of the month. If you look at the pre-test(txlottery.com) you can see which machine they are using if you are looking for trends with machines you can check pre-test and results on that site. In georgia they use the same machine for pick 3 & pick 4. I read about it on one of the posts. I don't know anything else about Georgia's drawings. I remember because I thought that would make it extremely hard to predict either! I read it a month or two ago. You may be able to use the search to find the posts and contact whoever it was for more info. It was posted by a longtime regular poster. Sorry I don't remember   who!

The test draw results seem to indicate that each machine has 3 different chambers and machines "E" and "F" were used in February and "F" and "D" are being used in March.  It also shows there are 50 sets of drawing balls and the sets are used for different digits in each draw and they use a different set of balls for the midday and evening draws.

Even if you knew which set of balls will be used for each digit before each draw and have the 4 test draw results, it would still be difficult spotting a trend.

It looks like Georgia uses a different method of a random draw, but as in Texas and in other states, the trends will be random too.

Kentucky
                              United States
                              Member #32652
                              February 14, 2006
                              7310 Posts
                              Posted: March 18, 2007, 10:57 pm - IP Logged

Lottobrain: "The lottery always states that the "players are quite happy with this process and are not interested in seeing live drawings return".  However, I have yet to run into any of these players out on the street that agree with these ideas."

Makes you wonder which players they are talking about.