Welcome Guest
You last visited December 4, 2016, 9:25 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Wonder where the other half of 390 mill is?

Topic closed. 54 replies. Last post 10 years ago by justxploring.

Page 1 of 4
PrintE-mailLink

where is the other half of 390 mill jackpot?

in a draw? [ 4 ]  [10.53%]
in the dump? [ 5 ]  [13.16%]
in the local incenarator? [ 1 ]  [2.63%]
being blind trusted? [ 13 ]  [34.21%]
dog ate it? [ 1 ]  [2.63%]
being used at the bottom of a bird cage? [ 1 ]  [2.63%]
winnner saw ticket and died? [ 9 ]  [23.68%]
bottom of a poketbook? [ 4 ]  [10.53%]
Total Valid Votes [ 38 ]  
Discarded Votes [ 2 ]  

United States
Member #10438
January 13, 2005
431 Posts
Posted: March 13, 2007, 8:53 am - IP Logged

i think number 7  is waht would happen to meApprove

MegaWinner's avatar - Lottery-029.jpg
    New Jersey
    United States
    Member #50273
    March 3, 2007
    348 Posts
    Posted: March 13, 2007, 9:19 am - IP Logged

Well I live about 30 minutes from Where the winning ticket was sold and the consistent rumor around here is a guy bought his tickets along with a 6 pack of beer.  He then signed his tickets immediately after purchase and put them in his bag with his beer and left.  Now he doesn't know what happened to his tickets or where they are. 

I have drawn a few conclusions from this rumor.  For one, I haven't heard anything official on this so its just hearsay until proven otherwise.  Two, humoring that this could be true, the man must haved always played those numbers to know he won and lost the tickets.  But this begs the question, if you are that thorough in buying and immeadiately signing your tickets, it sounds like you are a serious lottery player.  It doesn't sound like you are the casual quick pick type that plays, places tickest in pocket and forgets about them.  It would be consistent with this guy to put the tickets in his wallet or pocket IMMEDIATELY after purchasing and signing them. 

So that story has a lot of holes in it plus I haven't heard anything on the local news about this even though different people from different states are saying the same thing. 

I think the winner is just waiting for all the hype and attention to die down before claiming so this person won't be harrased.  Its the most likely thing that is happening.

I hope the winner is still alive though!

Todd's avatar - Cylon 2.gif
      Chief Bottle Washer
      New Jersey
      United States
      Member #1
      May 31, 2000
      23260 Posts
      Posted: March 13, 2007, 9:30 am - IP Logged

<Moved to Jackpot Games forum>

Please post in the appropriate forum ... thank you.

Coastal Georgia
        United States
        Member #2653
        October 30, 2003
        1866 Posts
        Posted: March 13, 2007, 11:15 am - IP Logged

It's only been a week. The winner is most likely in the middle of putting his / her plan together with financial consultants and tax advisors.

NOT like Mr. Nabors ( Gomer freakin Pyle) running down to the office before the ink dried on the ticket without any financial advice.

tntea's avatar - Lottery-059.jpg

United States
          Member #5344
          June 30, 2004
          23641 Posts
          Posted: March 13, 2007, 2:03 pm - IP Logged

I would use every precious moment I had before cashing in..

There would be other winners... and my pot would be forgotten..

OLD/Vtrac   Lottery Bible         Double Warnings      Thumbs Up TN F34/F44

New Jersey
            United States
            Member #21206
            September 4, 2005
            949 Posts
            Posted: March 13, 2007, 3:17 pm - IP Logged

I'm sure Mr. Nabors will seek advice and many people will give it.    He's not necessarily stupid.

Guru101's avatar - rw6jhh
              Indiana
              United States
              Member #48725
              January 7, 2007
              1953 Posts
              Posted: March 13, 2007, 5:31 pm - IP Logged

It's only been a week. The winner is most likely in the middle of putting his / her plan together with financial consultants and tax advisors.

NOT like Mr. Nabors ( Gomer freakin Pyle) running down to the office before the ink dried on the ticket without any financial advice.

The fact ALONE that someone claims a jackpot without consulting someone else does not prove anything. You cannot pass any negative judgement upon that person. The reason being is because you don't know that person. Now, if I won the jackpot, I wouldn't go get it the very next day, but I would feel comfortable claiming it without consulting anyone. Remember: You DON'T KNOW the person. I know you wanted to win, but just because you didn't doesn't give you nor anyone else the right to judge the person who did. I know you really wanted to win, but that's just too bad. Keep playing, maybe you will.

Gonna win.Big Smile

TheGameGrl's avatar - character catafly.jpg
                A long and winding road
                United States
                Member #17084
                June 10, 2005
                4524 Posts
                Posted: March 13, 2007, 7:39 pm - IP Logged

The fact ALONE that someone claims a jackpot without consulting someone else does not prove anything. You cannot pass any negative judgement upon that person. The reason being is because you don't know that person. Now, if I won the jackpot, I wouldn't go get it the very next day, but I would feel comfortable claiming it without consulting anyone. Remember: You DON'T KNOW the person. I know you wanted to win, but just because you didn't doesn't give you nor anyone else the right to judge the person who did. I know you really wanted to win, but that's just too bad. Keep playing, maybe you will.

Wooahhh...hold up there Guru. ITs completely WISE and in ones favor to seek financial advise before diving gong ho into the media festered limelight. If that is being negative and judgmental, then maybe its time to re-access your own financial stradegy should you ever claim a substantial amount. I agree in part that its ONES OWN MONEY and they can dern well do with it what they will, even if its at the cost of common sense. What I disagree with is the fell'r gave no consideration for how much of an impact this good fortune was going to AFFECT his private life or that of the security of his family. Sorry but as an ADULT one has a responsibility to make a well informed decision. I didnt interpret negative judgements so much as poor judgement on the part of Mr Nabors in coming forth so quickly.

~~Is it true, Is it kind,Is it necessary. ~~~

Thanks be to the giving numbers: 1621,912,119 02014

TheGameGrl's avatar - character catafly.jpg
                  A long and winding road
                  United States
                  Member #17084
                  June 10, 2005
                  4524 Posts
                  Posted: March 13, 2007, 7:47 pm - IP Logged

As to the original question, I like the idea of a good mystery! Not drama per se but a good ole fashion mystery! Who knows but the claimant :)

I could care less about the persons story about how they ran in for a milk or a bottle of gin, and miraulously chose to play that night for the first time!

Give me a person who had a stradegy and been a faithful player, Tell me its a Lady that had the common sense to seek counsel for financial and security. She doesnt need to be a mum of six or have a drama story, but rather led a simple life and knows the values of friendships far supercede any monies claimed. ( Opps wait! that sounds like my aunts and counsins! )

~~Is it true, Is it kind,Is it necessary. ~~~

Thanks be to the giving numbers: 1621,912,119 02014

Guru101's avatar - rw6jhh
                    Indiana
                    United States
                    Member #48725
                    January 7, 2007
                    1953 Posts
                    Posted: March 13, 2007, 8:46 pm - IP Logged

Wooahhh...hold up there Guru. ITs completely WISE and in ones favor to seek financial advise before diving gong ho into the media festered limelight. If that is being negative and judgmental, then maybe its time to re-access your own financial stradegy should you ever claim a substantial amount. I agree in part that its ONES OWN MONEY and they can dern well do with it what they will, even if its at the cost of common sense. What I disagree with is the fell'r gave no consideration for how much of an impact this good fortune was going to AFFECT his private life or that of the security of his family. Sorry but as an ADULT one has a responsibility to make a well informed decision. I didnt interpret negative judgements so much as poor judgement on the part of Mr Nabors in coming forth so quickly.

I'm not saying seeking financial advise isn't a good thing, I'm saying it's an extra option for the person if they want it, and if they don't take it, they haven't necessarily made a bad choice. These financial "experts" are going to cost money. The thing is though, these experts are people just like everbody else who want MONEY, MONEY, MONEY. Now that they got a millionaire asking for there oh so superior advise, they just might try to get as much money out of that person as they can. To presume that the person will spend their money unwisely because they did not take the extra option is not a valid argument.

Gonna win.Big Smile

Atlanta
                      United States
                      Member #15989
                      May 24, 2005
                      183 Posts
                      Posted: March 13, 2007, 9:45 pm - IP Logged

wow, I just see so much jealousy when it comes right down to it. Doubledown, that is a harsh statement. TnTea, yeah, right. Like you would wait 6 months to a year to claim and let others do so ahead of you. Get real! It was 390M....wake up and keep it real. Prob98.....thanks for your reality check to the others, and Guru, you nailed it on the head. Too funny how people are so quick to judge these people and can't IMAGINE the pressures associated with winning it. I know I certainly can't.

Coastal Georgia
                        United States
                        Member #2653
                        October 30, 2003
                        1866 Posts
                        Posted: March 13, 2007, 10:15 pm - IP Logged

Thanks Gamegrl..

That's what I would have said, but you said it better. Wasn't trying to be negative, just pointing out the obvious lack of judgement. Maybe Jim Nabors will be ok in the long run, but it's doubtful.

If I have learned anything at all in my tenure here at LP, it's wise to wait and get your team together first, then go get the ticket cashed. The office will be there when you get there.....

Heck, he doesn't take first prize for a hair trigger- There was a MM Jackpot won last year  by a South Ga man on a Friday draw, and he went to the lottery HQ on a Sunday.... Of course it was closed........DUH.

Coastal Georgia
                          United States
                          Member #2653
                          October 30, 2003
                          1866 Posts
                          Posted: March 13, 2007, 10:17 pm - IP Logged

I'm not saying seeking financial advise isn't a good thing, I'm saying it's an extra option for the person if they want it, and if they don't take it, they haven't necessarily made a bad choice. These financial "experts" are going to cost money. The thing is though, these experts are people just like everbody else who want MONEY, MONEY, MONEY. Now that they got a millionaire asking for there oh so superior advise, they just might try to get as much money out of that person as they can. To presume that the person will spend their money unwisely because they did not take the extra option is not a valid argument.

Yes they cost money, but it is a drop in the bucket compared to what they will SAVE the winner by giving expert tax shelter advice.

I doubt many of us are aware of the tax laws, so we could save a ton by spending a little bit ..

What is that saying, penny wise- pound foolish ?

Coastal Georgia
                            United States
                            Member #2653
                            October 30, 2003
                            1866 Posts
                            Posted: March 13, 2007, 10:20 pm - IP Logged

I'm not jealous. I wish I had won, like all of us do, but I'm not jealous.

Harsh statement ?  Reality is harsh and so is the truth ...

Pressures are self imposed- and can be dealt with easily if you have a team to defer questions/ requests to.

DD 

United States
                              Member #10720
                              January 23, 2005
                              933 Posts
                              Posted: March 13, 2007, 10:57 pm - IP Logged

It is not unusual for a big winner to wait a while to claim the prize, in fact about 1/2 the times I remember. The Lerners waited, the retired truck driver in VA waited until April 1th and Rebecca Jemison wanted to wait but Elicia Battle cut the time short. I remember JW rushed out to the C&L in the snow the next morning but he thought he only had 4+1. The winners in Missouri came right out and so did the Wests. The ones in Nebraska waited a few days only. Seems like the PB winners hop to it and the MM winners dillydally. The highest ever unclaimed prize I know of was maybe 10-15 million.

Perhaps the winner(s) are waiting for the Great Global Warming Ice Age to end so the roads are really safe first. People usually remember where they played so when there is a big winner they will move Heaven & Earth to produce that ticket, but on smaller prizes that aren't trumpeted when won, those are the ones that can slip away unclaimed.

I checked with my only friend that lives near Woodbine and they are not the winner nor know who it might be. So they say.