Welcome Guest
You last visited December 9, 2016, 2:19 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Wonder where the other half of 390 mill is?

Topic closed. 54 replies. Last post 10 years ago by justxploring.

Page 4 of 4
PrintE-mailLink

where is the other half of 390 mill jackpot?

in a draw? [ 4 ]  [10.53%]
in the dump? [ 5 ]  [13.16%]
in the local incenarator? [ 1 ]  [2.63%]
being blind trusted? [ 13 ]  [34.21%]
dog ate it? [ 1 ]  [2.63%]
being used at the bottom of a bird cage? [ 1 ]  [2.63%]
winnner saw ticket and died? [ 9 ]  [23.68%]
bottom of a poketbook? [ 4 ]  [10.53%]
Total Valid Votes [ 38 ]  
Discarded Votes [ 2 ]  

United States
Member #10438
January 13, 2005
431 Posts
Posted: March 16, 2007, 8:49 am - IP Logged

hmm intresting that 13% say -in the dump-  its geting past the point of blind trust !  either they know about it and are scared to come foward ((which i can understand)) or its flushed,,,,  Imaging 100mill flushed wow!!

United States
    Member #34266
    March 1, 2006
    188 Posts
    Posted: March 16, 2007, 9:26 am - IP Logged

I say NJ winner is holding steady, waiting for a busy news day to cash in.  Probably  a person with a lot of money won the jackpot, and doesn't want any backlash from the have nots.   The story about the guy signing the tickets and putting them in his paper bag, it could be true he lost his tickets, he could also have not had the winning ticket, now he will be spending the rest of his life wondering what could have been, and never really knowing because he didn't check his tickets.  Keep in mind I'm only speculating.   

Guru101's avatar - rw6jhh
      Indiana
      United States
      Member #48725
      January 7, 2007
      1954 Posts
      Posted: March 17, 2007, 6:01 pm - IP Logged

If someone wants to know how much they won, I think they should either:

1. Check online

or

2. Get a slip that has the winning numbers on it, and then look on the back of a playslip that shows how much you win.

I'm sure most clerks are honest about how much a person wins, but I like to have 100% certainty about the amount that I won. It would really suck to have a winner(especially a big one), and then the clerk tell you it's not a winner, keeping it for themself.

Gonna win.Big Smile

California
        United States
        Member #46824
        October 1, 2006
        270 Posts
        Posted: March 19, 2007, 5:53 pm - IP Logged

THe NJ winner has come forward:  A "newly retired" couple, quick pick, took the cash oprion, contacted a financial planner, refused to have a press conference, communicated through their lawyer.  Details on MSNBC.com

Raven62's avatar - binary
          New Jersey
          United States
          Member #17843
          June 28, 2005
          49808 Posts
          Posted: March 20, 2007, 8:04 am - IP Logged

A married couple from Tuckahoe claimed their half of a $390 million lottery jackpot Monday, ending a two-week search for the owner of the winning ticket sold in Woodbine.

Mr. & Mrs. Messner claimed their Mega Millions prize Monday afternoon at New Jersey Lottery headquarters in Trenton.

Messner bought his ticket at Campark Liquors the day of the drawing March 6. He let the computer pick the lucky numbers for him.

A mind once stretched by a new idea never returns to its original dimensions!

United States
            Member #9579
            December 12, 2004
            2121 Posts
            Posted: April 17, 2007, 12:12 pm - IP Logged

i hope all that money doesn't give them a false sense of security,and they still should fasten their seatbelts!

OldSchoolPa's avatar - Lottery-057.jpg
              Gurnee, Illinois
              United States
              Member #49731
              February 12, 2007
              917 Posts
              Posted: April 17, 2007, 1:05 pm - IP Logged

Most people don't expect to win that much money so even the cash or annuity option would depend on when it happened. We could discuss the pros and cons of either but the only opinion that counts is the ticket holder and we know that Nabors already made up his mind.

State lottery commissions have already cashed multi-million dollar tickets so most legal questions have been asked and answered but it would still be a good idea to have your lawyer present. It's the lottery's job to write the check and that usually takes about 6 weeks and that process can't start until the ticket is validated.

"Honestly, would you know what to do with a check for $80 million bucks?  I wouldn't."

You can scratch "cashing it at your local grocery store" off the list.

But seriously I would ask the lottery commission which bank writes the check and maybe deal directly with them. The majority of the money could sit in a small interest bearing account while various investment options were being reviewed. 

I don't see why knowing how the money will be invested would affect validating the ticket the day after the numbers were drawn or waiting 5 months.

But seriously I would ask the lottery commission which bank writes the check and maybe deal directly with them.

By all accounts, Mr. Nabors was your typical middle class man.  If and when I win, I would work with a financial services company that was willing to work with and help me analyze and straighten out my finances when I was working just to bring in say $25,000 - $199,000 each year...that financial services company is Primerica.  When I was just making a shade below $100,000 a year and had about the same in investable assets, I walked into a local Merril and Morgan office only to be politely sent on my way.  I was already doing biz with TRP, but they only would give me an investment analysis and was going to charge me a nice sum just for that.  But Primerica helped me with everything and provided the analysis complimentary.  I would only be a fool to walk up into a Merril or Morgan office with my multi-millions when Primerica could still helped me turn those multi-millions into billions.

Get MONEY!!! Winning a JACKPOT lottery is all the HOPE and CHANGE I desire!!!  NOW give me MONEY!US Flag

The guy who won the presidency in 2008 really won the lottery...he is now millions richer, travels in first class style, and even has a staff that would be the envy of the richest Powerball winner (she has a staff of 2). Every night he goes to sleep, he probably plays the close of Dave Chappelle's Show: I'm rich beyatch!

United States
                Member #9579
                December 12, 2004
                2121 Posts
                Posted: April 17, 2007, 3:13 pm - IP Logged

gives hope to us who have not won,but support lottery every day.

Coin Toss's avatar - shape barbed.jpg
                  Zeta Reticuli Star System
                  United States
                  Member #30470
                  January 17, 2006
                  10353 Posts
                  Posted: April 20, 2007, 1:49 am - IP Logged

A very successful Wall Stret broker decide to break it off with his mistress.  He went to her 45th floor penthouse suite and said, "Honey, I'm ruined, my holdings tanked. It's all got to go, this place, your Mercedes, the minks, everything."

She screams and says, "I can't live like that!", and jumps out the window, takes a 45 floor plunge. He looks out the window, then looks up and saus, "Thanks, Paine Weber." 

Sorry, but I just had to throw some humor into all this.

Those who run the lotteries love it when players look for consistency in something that's designed not to have any.

Lep

There is one and only one 'proven' system, and that is to book the action. No matter the game, let the players pick their own losers.

justxploring's avatar - villiarna
                    Wandering Aimlessly
                    United States
                    Member #25360
                    November 5, 2005
                    4461 Posts
                    Posted: April 20, 2007, 3:00 am - IP Logged

Prob988 writes:

"I once had a financial advisor who got very upset with me for selling Lucent stock at $100/share.  He carried on and stamped his feet but I insisted on selling the stock any way.  He said there was at least $20/share more in the stock and I was being an idiot.  (Yes, I fired him.)  Guess what?  Within one year the stock was under $5/share."

If your profile didn't indicate you live in NJ, I'd guess we had the same financial advisor.