Welcome Guest
You last visited January 21, 2017, 2:27 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

God, Satan, Money, and the Lottery

Topic closed. 27 replies. Last post 10 years ago by Lotterologist.

Page 2 of 2
PrintE-mailLink
emilyg's avatar - cat anm.gif

United States
Member #14
November 9, 2001
31542 Posts
Posted: March 16, 2007, 1:07 pm - IP Logged

When you win - pass some of it on.  Good way to live - share.

love to nibble those micey feet.

Lotterologist's avatar - lightbulb
    Lotto City, Michigan
    United States
    Member #36256
    March 30, 2006
    1472 Posts
    Posted: March 16, 2007, 2:02 pm - IP Logged

I Agree!

Lotto City, Michigan
      United States
      Member #36256
      March 30, 2006
      1472 Posts
      Posted: March 16, 2007, 2:04 pm - IP Logged

I play the lottery and I believe in God. And I know that he knows your heart and what your intentions are with money. If a person wins a jackpot, you can pay off your bills and help people along the way. That is a good thing.  The lottery is for people to improve their lives.

Whenever I win the lottery I thank God, because I believe that I have guidance.Wink

Wise words indeed!

JAP69's avatar - alas
        South Carolina
        United States
        Member #6
        November 4, 2001
        8797 Posts
        Posted: March 16, 2007, 2:10 pm - IP Logged

Before there was an abundance of money circulating thru the economy the people used the barter system for exachange. Probably still do in many countries.

Money is nothing but a means to use for bartering for goods and services you want.

Oo'Ka

JAP69's avatar - alas
          South Carolina
          United States
          Member #6
          November 4, 2001
          8797 Posts
          Posted: March 16, 2007, 2:59 pm - IP Logged

Peace and love! Smile

As you may know, I am a fan of the lottery. Like you, I too enjoy playing the game. It is very challenging and when you win, can be very rewarding, but some people think it is a sin to play gambling games.

Long before I started playing the lottery, I went to church every Sunday, where I studied the bible and learned some spiritual things. Among the lessons I learned was that Christ said "the LOVE of money is the root of all evil". A man cannot serve two masters, God and mammon(money).

Realizing that MUCH evil has been done "for the love of money", I decided to NEVER let money rule me. If the chance ever arises, I hope I can walk away from a million like it was a dime.

What are YOUR views on God, Satan, Money, and the lottery?

I do not discuss God and Satan.

I gave my thoughts on money.

Now the lottery.

The lottery is nothing but a form of gambling. We gamble on other things in our lives also.

Like medical insurance. I am wagering my insurance premiums against the insurance company that I may need medical coverage which may go far beyond what my premiums total.
          The same with any type of insurance.

Stock market investing. I am wagering that what I purchase will increase in value not decrease.

The list goes on on what we wager on in life for an outcome to our benefit. 

Oo'Ka

numbergirly's avatar - 0002009C
            Dover, Delaware
            United States
            Member #26979
            November 25, 2005
            178 Posts
            Posted: March 16, 2007, 3:02 pm - IP Logged

This is a very interesting subject  I'd like to thank you all for answering some of the questions that was rolling around in my head. I have to take everything into consideration before I can give a reply. I will get back with you later. THANKS AGAIN.

numbergirly

Lotto City, Michigan
              United States
              Member #36256
              March 30, 2006
              1472 Posts
              Posted: March 16, 2007, 3:59 pm - IP Logged

Now the lottery.

The lottery is nothing but a form of gambling. We gamble on other things in our lives also.

Like medical insurance. I am wagering my insurance premiums against the insurance company that I may need medical coverage which may go far beyond what my premiums total.

Stock market investing. I am wagering that what I purchase will increase in value not decrease.

I appreciate your thoughts. Thank you for your views.  Smile

OldSchoolPa's avatar - Lottery-057.jpg
                Gurnee, Illinois
                United States
                Member #49731
                February 12, 2007
                919 Posts
                Posted: March 16, 2007, 4:27 pm - IP Logged

It is interesting that you bring this up. I have had it rough lately. I been diagnosed with panic disorder (debilitating), my grandmother just died, both of my vehicles have been messing up, my husband got caught driving with no insurance (need I say how much that is going to cost?) and nevermind that I had 5 of the 6 numbers picked out for megamillions draw last time that did come out, but didn't have money to play. Yeah, my faith is being tested. So, I started going to church again and praying more often. At first I thought "GOD must hate me, I have angered him." But when I look back on things, I see it could have been much much worse. So in fact, I am thankful to GOD, not mad.

I got you beat when u say u had 5 of the 6 numbers picked out for megamillions draw last time but didn't have money to play...over a year ago just before the "Lucky 7" in California hit for $315M, I had all 6 numbers picked two weeks prior when it was at $165M, but I had just had a disagreement with my wife about playing the lottery (yeah she's in the "it's a sin" camp) and didn't end up playing those numbers.  That was actually the second time I experienced that "sick" feeling upon seeing the winning numbers drawn...numbers that I had every intention to play but didn't.  Four years prior to that time, the same thing happened...only I would have only won $12M in the Mega game.  Sometimes when my wife and I have minor arguments, she will often say "we will have to agree to disagree" when it is something we cannot see eye to eye on...so in this case with the lottery...we will have to agree to disagree as I do not think I can stand experiencing that sick feeling a third time...now I let my money roll and get my numbers for each and every drawing...whether the jackpot is $12M or $370M.  I can tell you this...my wife as well as my church will be very happy when the day comes that my six numbers on my play ticket match all six numbers drawn in the Mega or Powerball games...believe that!

Get MONEY!!! Winning a JACKPOT lottery is all the HOPE and CHANGE I desire!!!  NOW give me MONEY!US Flag

The guy who won the presidency in 2008 really won the lottery...he is now millions richer, travels in first class style, and even has a staff that would be the envy of the richest Powerball winner (she has a staff of 2). Every night he goes to sleep, he probably plays the close of Dave Chappelle's Show: I'm rich beyatch!

OldSchoolPa's avatar - Lottery-057.jpg
                  Gurnee, Illinois
                  United States
                  Member #49731
                  February 12, 2007
                  919 Posts
                  Posted: March 16, 2007, 4:36 pm - IP Logged

Now the lottery.

On stock market investing, I rejoice when I see it decline.  I was shouting for joy when the DOW tanked over 400 points last week...that's just my opportunity to buy stocks on sale.  Isn't it something that many people make a rush for the exits when something like that happen in the stock market?  I bet those same people would be rushing to get to a retail store if they announced they were slashing their prices on say XBox 360s by 10 - 25 percent...actually some people rush to those same retail establishments and camp out overnight to pay full price for those games...but we all know that smart people buy things on sale.

Get MONEY!!! Winning a JACKPOT lottery is all the HOPE and CHANGE I desire!!!  NOW give me MONEY!US Flag

The guy who won the presidency in 2008 really won the lottery...he is now millions richer, travels in first class style, and even has a staff that would be the envy of the richest Powerball winner (she has a staff of 2). Every night he goes to sleep, he probably plays the close of Dave Chappelle's Show: I'm rich beyatch!

Thoth's avatar - binary
                    Findlay, Ohio
                    United States
                    Member #4855
                    May 28, 2004
                    400 Posts
                    Posted: March 16, 2007, 8:42 pm - IP Logged

I don't know if God has anything to do with the lotto or not, but I know that yours is among the many great minds on Lottery Post.

How do you pronounce the name "Thoth", by the way? (I always call you "Thought" because you make me think.) LOL

I enjoy your posts. You are a true inspiration.

Thanks and keep up the good work! Thumbs Up

To know what you know and to know what you do not know, is characteristic of one who knows--Lao Tse

Thanks Lotterologist.

I'm not sure exactly how that is pronounced.  I've heard it said a few different ways...probably because there are several variations of the word, which is the name of the Egyptian god of science, writing and mathematics.

Thoth (also Toth) , scribe of the Egyptian gods, was the chief deity of Khmun, or Hermopolis. He was conceived as either having the head of an ibis or of a bamboo. Thoth is usually depicted as an ibis-headed man with a pen-and-ink holder. He became known as the god of the foundation of the law, mystical wisdom, magic, learning, hieroglyphic writing, arithmetic, and astrology. Thus, he was called "The Lord of the Divine Books" and "Scribe of the Company of Gods."

The symbolic meaning of the ibis, although this exact meaning has not been discovered, is thought to be associated with healing. Sometimes Thoth is portrayed as a baboon-headed man holding a crescent moon.

According to legend, Thoth, both a healer and magician, restored the Eye of Horus that was torn to bits when the latter fought his uncle Seth (Set) to revenge the death of his father Osiris. The eye of Horus, also known as the udjat eye, became a funerary amulet and magical, all-seeing eye. Thoth was the patron god of the occultists of ancient Egypt, and was petitioned in many of the spells contained in the Egyptian Book of the Dead, such as the opening-of-the-mouth spell to reanimate a corpse, which was recited over a mummy by a high priest.

It was the Greeks who associated their god Hermes with Thoth that the two were almost indistinguishable. Thorth/Hermes became identified with Hermes Trismegistus, the alleged author of the Hermetic books on occult, philosophical, and religious subjects (see Hermetica).

Again, according to legend, Thoth/Hermes gave to his successors the Book of Thoth, or the "Key to Immortality," which contained the secret processes for the regeneration of humanity and the expansion of consciousness that would enable mankind to behold the gods. There are stories, or theories, concerning the Book of Thoth, some say at first in was kept in a temple in a sealed golden box, and used in the ancient Mysteries. When the practice of these Mysteries declined, it was carried to another unknown land, where it still exists after being safely preserved, and it still leads disciples to the presence of the Immortals. Others hold the Book of Thoth is actually the Tarot deck.

~Probability=Odds in Motion~

Lotto City, Michigan
                      United States
                      Member #36256
                      March 30, 2006
                      1472 Posts
                      Posted: March 17, 2007, 5:28 am - IP Logged

"....science, writing, and mathematics"

The name fits you perfectly! Thumbs Up

spy153's avatar - maren

United States
                        Member #28409
                        December 15, 2005
                        1198 Posts
                        Posted: March 17, 2007, 1:18 pm - IP Logged

I got you beat when u say u had 5 of the 6 numbers picked out for megamillions draw last time but didn't have money to play...over a year ago just before the "Lucky 7" in California hit for $315M, I had all 6 numbers picked two weeks prior when it was at $165M, but I had just had a disagreement with my wife about playing the lottery (yeah she's in the "it's a sin" camp) and didn't end up playing those numbers.  That was actually the second time I experienced that "sick" feeling upon seeing the winning numbers drawn...numbers that I had every intention to play but didn't.  Four years prior to that time, the same thing happened...only I would have only won $12M in the Mega game.  Sometimes when my wife and I have minor arguments, she will often say "we will have to agree to disagree" when it is something we cannot see eye to eye on...so in this case with the lottery...we will have to agree to disagree as I do not think I can stand experiencing that sick feeling a third time...now I let my money roll and get my numbers for each and every drawing...whether the jackpot is $12M or $370M.  I can tell you this...my wife as well as my church will be very happy when the day comes that my six numbers on my play ticket match all six numbers drawn in the Mega or Powerball games...believe that!

I know you will not believe me, but that was actually the 4th time that has happened to me. It seems everytime I don't have money to play, I get the numbers right or super close.
                        On powerball's 6-15 combo that came out and was won last year. On Mega's 7-11 combo that came out last year. Mega's 7-11 combo that came out this year (I had all six). But I did win good on the 7-34 combo that came out for powerball in december. I have retired those numbers now. It is very unlikely that I will come up with a good combo for that 7 string again. I was playing my nephew's birthday numbers. He will be a millionaire when he turns 21 anyway. His father has worked hard to make sure of it. The 6-15 combo was his mother's birthday numbers. (My sister in-law) I had played those numbers for 6 months until that fateful night they came out and I couldn't play. I had the proof. Gobbs of tickets from prior plays. Same thing with the other draws. I retired the 6-15 combo as well. (they haven't come out since then either I believe.) I play my sets of numbers every draw. Then add in some I have picked based on prior draws.

And believe this or not, but my brother's birthday numbers did come out as well. Last year on Mega Millions' 7-14 combo. But I can not claim that I play that one often. I don't.

I wasn't complaining before about it in my prior post. I was stating that even though life has really kicked me in the teeth lately,(and my stomach and my head and my shoulders) I wasn't going out a hellian. Maybe it is what I needed to start back in church. And I thought coincidental that he posted this topic right at the same time I was wrestling with the subject. I have come too close to quit now. And I believe with all my heart I am a winner. It just may not be my time to win yet. I trust that GOD knows what's best for me. If I haven't won yet, maybe it is what's best for me.

voir-vous dans mes reves!Cool

Lotto City, Michigan
                          United States
                          Member #36256
                          March 30, 2006
                          1472 Posts
                          Posted: April 3, 2007, 11:05 pm - IP Logged

As I stated earlier, I try to keep my spiritual beliefs and my lottery playing seperate.

God is God regardless of the lottery and that's what works for me.

Good Luck! Thumbs Up