Welcome Guest
You last visited January 21, 2017, 5:35 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

What movies or TV shows have you seen about the lottery?

Topic closed. 21 replies. Last post 10 years ago by pumpi76.

Page 2 of 2
PrintE-mailLink
Lotto Czar's avatar - sam
Harrisburg, Pa.
United States
Member #3093
December 23, 2003
233 Posts
Posted: March 21, 2007, 9:30 am - IP Logged

All those for sure, and in addition, the basic premise of "My Name is Earl" is that he got a $100,000 winning scratch ticket and is using his money to turn his life around, righting wrongs, and crossing all of his bad deeds of the past off his list.  The first season finale explains this story, and every eposode has an adventure where things don't always go so smoothly.  Excellent show, not for the kiddies, however.

There have been episodes of other shows and movies i remember.  there was a Movie with Bill Cosby about awinning lottery ticket that people kept chasing but i can't remember the name of it.  Also, there was an episode of the old WKRP in Cinncinnati where Herb thought he was going to have the winning ticket "00-00-00".

Trivia:  The movie "Lucky Numbers" was based on a true incident in Pennsylvania that occured in 1980.  Most of the movie was filmed in the Harrisburg area, and those of us who live there recoginze some of the landmarks.  Ed O'Neil (better known for playing Al Bundy on Married with Children) has a bit part as the TV station Manager (there actually is a WTPA Radio station in Harrisburg) and Chuck Rhoads, real WHTM-TV, channel 27 in Harrisburg has a cameo playing , who else, but himself. 

Guru101's avatar - rw6jhh
    Indiana
    United States
    Member #48725
    January 7, 2007
    1958 Posts
    Posted: March 21, 2007, 10:05 am - IP Logged

The Conners win the lottery in the last season of Roseanne.

Gonna win.Big Smile

MegaWinner's avatar - Lottery-029.jpg
      New Jersey
      United States
      Member #50273
      March 3, 2007
      348 Posts
      Posted: March 21, 2007, 10:29 am - IP Logged

All those for sure, and in addition, the basic premise of "My Name is Earl" is that he got a $100,000 winning scratch ticket and is using his money to turn his life around, righting wrongs, and crossing all of his bad deeds of the past off his list.  The first season finale explains this story, and every eposode has an adventure where things don't always go so smoothly.  Excellent show, not for the kiddies, however.

There have been episodes of other shows and movies i remember.  there was a Movie with Bill Cosby about awinning lottery ticket that people kept chasing but i can't remember the name of it.  Also, there was an episode of the old WKRP in Cinncinnati where Herb thought he was going to have the winning ticket "00-00-00".

Trivia:  The movie "Lucky Numbers" was based on a true incident in Pennsylvania that occured in 1980.  Most of the movie was filmed in the Harrisburg area, and those of us who live there recoginze some of the landmarks.  Ed O'Neil (better known for playing Al Bundy on Married with Children) has a bit part as the TV station Manager (there actually is a WTPA Radio station in Harrisburg) and Chuck Rhoads, real WHTM-TV, channel 27 in Harrisburg has a cameo playing , who else, but himself. 

Wow, how could I forget about My Name Is Earl?  Gonna have to rent the seasons.

Sun Smiley I got my fingers crossed ready to win!!! Sun Smiley

stephi's avatar - winifrid
        rural lowcountry, south carolina
        United States
        Member #31677
        February 2, 2006
        196 Posts
        Posted: March 21, 2007, 1:56 pm - IP Logged

It could happen to you--my favorite, Lucky Numbers, and My name is Earl--the beginning episodes and now I see an occasional one now and then.

justxploring's avatar - villiarna
          Wandering Aimlessly
          United States
          Member #25360
          November 5, 2005
          4461 Posts
          Posted: March 21, 2007, 8:47 pm - IP Logged

My Favorite was The Columbo Series where a Guy name Freddie bought a lottery ticket ,won and didnot want to share with his soon to be divorce Wife so his uncle that he trusted not knowing that he was having an affair with the soon to be ex took freedie upon his offer to cash in the Lottery ticket for him and in return freddie promises his unlce a percentage but the unlce finding out from his financial advisor that he was practically broke had a different agenda,Murder,Poor Freddi died and never got the chance to spend any of the LOttery money but had the end The Uncle and The Ex was arrested by Columbo,Now LP Family i will never ever forget those lotto numbers

04-05-06-08-11-16,,,,The numbers poor Freddie was murdered for,Goodluck to all who play the game!

I remember that!

United States
            Member #17555
            June 22, 2005
            5582 Posts
            Posted: March 21, 2007, 9:44 pm - IP Logged

I love Earl Grey tea...

Honduras
              Member #20982
              August 29, 2005
              4715 Posts
              Posted: March 22, 2007, 1:18 am - IP Logged

I think but i can't remember....But i think i saw an episode on the "X" Files, where there was a guy that was the luckiest person in the world, because he would beat any odds but he didn't know it...They thought he had alien qualities or Dna...

that and lucky numbers which i didn't like...And "My name is Earl" part were he acquires the winning ticket but get hit by a car...

"More important than winning the states' lotteries is the movie "Red Planet..."