Welcome Guest
You last visited December 10, 2016, 9:32 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

What do you think of the new forum pages?

Topic closed. 39 replies. Last post 10 years ago by Amber88.

Page 3 of 3
PrintE-mailLink
Todd's avatar - Cylon 2.gif
Chief Bottle Washer
New Jersey
United States
Member #1
May 31, 2000
23275 Posts
Posted: March 20, 2007, 11:52 am - IP Logged

Todd i just want to still be able to do things independently,like tying this for instance but according to the flim i saw that educates you as to what happens to your vision i want be able to see what i type but i will be able to prepare for life being different,You know Todd you just asked a good question,i am not sure of how to ask mind maybe you actually answered me already,Have a great Spring,,,,,,,,DeloresLovies

You know Delores, one thing that you should check out is Windows Vista.  There are a few reasons:

1. If it is going to become a problem to use the keyboard to type, Vista has excellent built-in voice recognition, which allows you to speak your words, and it will type for you.  The technology has come a long way, it it really works great.  It would be a good idea to have a "computer person" upgrade to Vista for you and set it all up -- maybe something like Geek Squad from Citcuit City if you don't know somebody yourself.
  2. Vista has IE7 built-in, which allows you to magnify the screen to whatever percentage you like.  It works MUCH better that the old "Text Size" menu option, because it makes EVERYTHING bigger.  When magnifying, it really helps to have a widescreen monitor, rather than normal TV-shaped, because you'll want the extra horizontal space.
  3. Vista also has built-in support for having the computer read the text on web pages to you.  However, my feeling is that this technology is not quite as well developed as the others.  For example, it doesn't have a way to teach it how to ignore certain parts of the page, like ignoring the left menu every time.

I have tried to develop everything at Lottery Post to be as readable as possible, specifically so that visually-impared people can use it without much difficulty.  I have had color-blind people compliment me on the site, because I try to use colors with good grayscale contrast.  There are many sites out there that are impossible for color blind people to use because they use "cool" colors.

Check the State Lottery Report Card
What grade did your lottery earn?

Sign the Petition for True Lottery Drawings
Help eliminate computerized drawings!

delores247's avatar - Lottery-048.jpg

United States
    Member #19043
    July 24, 2005
    7378 Posts
    Posted: March 20, 2007, 12:00 pm - IP Logged

Four4me i just reviewed the Feature and that is just what i am looking for,That is a Blessing and brings me to Tears,,,Todd my Day is Saved and i am not Doomed from Lottery Post,That is what i was trying to ask and now i have been answered,I am Thanking the LOrd Everyday For People like You,Four4me and Todd have a Great first Day of SpringLoviesLove Delores247

CCHS13's avatar - chi jpeg.jpg
      Illinois
      United States
      Member #46704
      September 23, 2006
      3692 Posts
      Posted: March 20, 2007, 12:03 pm - IP Logged

Hey Delores I will take you up on that challenge.....

Men Lie Women Lie Numbers Dont

United States
        Member #19043
        July 24, 2005
        7378 Posts
        Posted: March 20, 2007, 12:08 pm - IP Logged

You know Delores, one thing that you should check out is Windows Vista.  There are a few reasons:

1. If it is going to become a problem to use the keyboard to type, Vista has excellent built-in voice recognition, which allows you to speak your words, and it will type for you.  The technology has come a long way, it it really works great.  It would be a good idea to have a "computer person" upgrade to Vista for you and set it all up -- maybe something like Geek Squad from Citcuit City if you don't know somebody yourself.
        2. Vista has IE7 built-in, which allows you to magnify the screen to whatever percentage you like.  It works MUCH better that the old "Text Size" menu option, because it makes EVERYTHING bigger.  When magnifying, it really helps to have a widescreen monitor, rather than normal TV-shaped, because you'll want the extra horizontal space.
        3. Vista also has built-in support for having the computer read the text on web pages to you.  However, my feeling is that this technology is not quite as well developed as the others.  For example, it doesn't have a way to teach it how to ignore certain parts of the page, like ignoring the left menu every time.

I have tried to develop everything at Lottery Post to be as readable as possible, specifically so that visually-impared people can use it without much difficulty.  I have had color-blind people compliment me on the site, because I try to use colors with good grayscale contrast.  There are many sites out there that are impossible for color blind people to use because they use "cool" colors.

Thanks Todd,Four4me told me about the feature on my computer which will help for now but the advanced features you speak of above is exciting and i know in the next few months i will need the voice that will speak the works,I think i like that feature and know that i can still have my independence,Thanks so much for your information,,,,,,,Love you Todd,,,,,,DeloresLovies{i still want that showdown,can you see that Todd?Green laugh

United States
          Member #19043
          July 24, 2005
          7378 Posts
          Posted: March 20, 2007, 12:09 pm - IP Logged

Hey Delores I will take you up on that challenge.....

Thank you ,just set a time and day and i will prepare for it

four4me's avatar - gate1
            MD
            United States
            Member #1701
            June 18, 2003
            8364 Posts
            Posted: March 20, 2007, 3:07 pm - IP Logged

Delores, Glad i could be of help i found the feature by accident one day.

While i don't have speak and spell i thought about getting it since i cant type fast enough for some things. The technology has come a long way in the last few years.

konane's avatar - wallace
              Atlanta, GA
              United States
              Member #1265
              March 13, 2003
              3333 Posts
              Posted: March 20, 2007, 3:52 pm - IP Logged

Just when I thought LP couldn't get any better you outdo yourself once again .... Awesome!!  Love the changes!!   Big Grin Angel

Good luck to everyone!

Badger's avatar - adu50016 NorthAmericanBadger.jpg
                Wisconsin
                United States
                Member #1303
                March 27, 2003
                1508 Posts
                Posted: March 20, 2007, 7:22 pm - IP Logged

Todd, the 2 and 5 year views are quite cool.  And while I'm not trying to make more work for you, I have a suggestion.

When pulling up either of these views, one can get a lot of pages.  And if one wants to go, say , to the end (or beginning perhaps) of the list, i.e. 2 years back and read the posts, there seems to be no way to do it except to start with today's date and go back one page at a time.

It would be nice to be able to have a dropdown that would allow one to go all the way back and read forward.

============

How can you tell if a politician is lying?

Answer: His lips are moving.

Todd's avatar - Cylon 2.gif
                  Chief Bottle Washer
                  New Jersey
                  United States
                  Member #1
                  May 31, 2000
                  23275 Posts
                  Posted: March 20, 2007, 8:24 pm - IP Logged

Todd, the 2 and 5 year views are quite cool.  And while I'm not trying to make more work for you, I have a suggestion.

When pulling up either of these views, one can get a lot of pages.  And if one wants to go, say , to the end (or beginning perhaps) of the list, i.e. 2 years back and read the posts, there seems to be no way to do it except to start with today's date and go back one page at a time.

It would be nice to be able to have a dropdown that would allow one to go all the way back and read forward.

That feature already exists. Click the down arrow. You can go all the way back with one click.

Check the State Lottery Report Card
                  What grade did your lottery earn?

Sign the Petition for True Lottery Drawings
                  Help eliminate computerized drawings!

Amber88's avatar - praying hands.jpg
                    KENTUCKY
                    United States
                    Member #40028
                    May 26, 2006
                    578 Posts
                    Posted: March 20, 2007, 9:31 pm - IP Logged

Just keeps getting better and better all the time! I like being able to rate topics. I also just noticed that there is "printable version" feature. I really like that too.