Welcome Guest
You last visited December 10, 2016, 3:19 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Focusing On Winning The Lottery Is A Fruitless Event

Topic closed. 40 replies. Last post 10 years ago by truecritic.

Page 2 of 3
PrintE-mailLink
Raven62's avatar - binary
New Jersey
United States
Member #17843
June 28, 2005
49835 Posts
Posted: March 21, 2007, 6:52 pm - IP Logged

A persons Belief System can keep them from winning the Lottery.

A wealthy person isn't wealthy because they have money, they have money, because they are wealthy!

To Win the Lottery, you first have to be wealthy, then you will think wealthy thoughts, speak wealthy words, and act wealthy.

A mind once stretched by a new idea never returns to its original dimensions!

justxploring's avatar - villiarna
    Wandering Aimlessly
    United States
    Member #25360
    November 5, 2005
    4461 Posts
    Posted: March 21, 2007, 7:21 pm - IP Logged

Yes, Raven, but first you need to start thinking for yourself in order to have a belief system.   

four4me's avatar - gate1
      MD
      United States
      Member #1701
      June 18, 2003
      8364 Posts
      Posted: March 21, 2007, 7:28 pm - IP Logged

Raven you have a good point if many of us took the money we spend on the lottery and invested in certain stocks we would have a better return than that from the lottery, of course with the exception of a very few who claim they do good playing the lottery. Sure a buck might net you millions if lightening were to strike.

I've and many friends have been playing the lottery for 30 some years and while we have won money now and then mostly we just seem to get back much of it we have lost over the years. In one lump. Just to reinvest in the dream.

The more i look at what's has happened and is going on in the stock market the more i realize my money would have netted me almost that American dream, of living debt free. Isn't that what winning the lottery is all about living debt free. There are very few whom will realize that lottery strike. But everyone of us could with the same for thought win in the stock market.

Ok before people start chiming in about the risks of playing the stock market verses the lottery. Both have there risks. However investing in the lottery isn't really putting your money to work for you. And while i hear from lots of people how they would invest if only they had the money but they rather throw it away on the lottery. Hoping they might win enough to invest. So in other words they won't invest in stocks but they will throw it away on the lottery go figure. I'm not talking about the few that play a dollar or two i'm talking about those of us who spend $20 or more on the lottery every day.

JAP69's avatar - alas
        South Carolina
        United States
        Member #6
        November 4, 2001
        8790 Posts
        Posted: March 21, 2007, 7:36 pm - IP Logged

For me focusing on winning the lottery is a hobby.

Some like to spend money on a hobby of their choice.

I spend my hobby money on the lottery.

MAGA

Wandering Aimlessly
          United States
          Member #25360
          November 5, 2005
          4461 Posts
          Posted: March 21, 2007, 7:42 pm - IP Logged

Four4me writes:  "I'm not talking about the few that play a dollar or two i'm talking about those of us who spend $20 or more on the lottery every day."

I'm guessing that "the few" you talk about are the majority and spending $20 a day is the exception.  In fact, I will even bet money on that!  I do agree that you definitely would have made out much better putting $600 a month into an investment. 

bobby623's avatar - abstract
            San Angelo, Texas
            United States
            Member #1097
            January 31, 2003
            1394 Posts
            Posted: March 21, 2007, 8:22 pm - IP Logged

AMEN, AMEN, AMEN

\Bobby/

Kentucky
              United States
              Member #32652
              February 14, 2006
              7322 Posts
              Posted: March 21, 2007, 8:25 pm - IP Logged

Exactly!  Bravo!  I Agree!  I have neighbors who go out and blow their "meager savings" on wide screen tv sets and then collect money from the government because they're poor.  Then there are the people who stop for a drink at happy hour or buy new clothes and are late on the rent. There's a difference between being sensible and being cheap.

I want to apologize to my fellow members if I sounded negative and argumentative in my previous post.  It's just that I sign on to LP many times and read posts, blogs and other so-called original ideas or personal thoughts that aren't original and the writer takes credit for them.  I find this all over the internet.

Raven's entire post is plagiarized.  Actually, so is the post about the $400 auto repair.  As a struggling writer, I can't help my reaction.  If someone wants to use another's exact words, there are a couple of very high-tech instruments I suggest.  They're called quotation marks.

I almost started a thread titled "Focusing on 'if' I won the lottery, how will I spend the money is a fruitless endeavor”, but I didn’t because there are 13 pages of discussion doing exactly that on a mythical $10 billion lottery. And it occurred to me if the idea is to find methods of predicting winning numbers, discussing what is and what is not a fruitless endeavor would be a fruitless endeavor too.

Justx: "There would be no Lottery Post if people didn't want to win or find the idea of it exciting."

There is enough information on Lottery Post to help anybody win the lottery if they sort it all out. Winning $40 on a 50 cent bet might not be exciting to everyone and I doubt a thread "How would you spend $40" will be started, but winning $40 is more exciting than using losing tickets to take notes.

Talking about playing lottery games can be fun winning or losing. Predicting numbers is almost becoming a sporting or a NASCAR event and people are talking about their favorite predictors and arguing about who is the best.

I can't think of a reason why anyone would buy a lottery ticket without a focus on winning.

guesser's avatar - Lottery-017.jpg

United States
                Member #41383
                June 16, 2006
                1969 Posts
                Posted: March 21, 2007, 9:00 pm - IP Logged

Amen, that's how I do it also.  Some folks spend $20 at the bar, at a baseball game, or whatever....

Some things come to mind: one said 'if I win the lottery I will buy my mom a new car', and it elaborated on spending $400 to fix her current car. Who's to say fixing her current car was not done anyway ?

As far as dreaming on how we would allocate it: that is exactly what it is: a dream. But that does not mean it is the ONLY dream one has, I'd venture to say we all have dreams - some attainable, and some not. That's life. 

You have to ask yourself these two questions:

1) Do I think I will win the lottery ?

The answer is a devout NO. Are you crazy ?  Do you know the odds ?

2) Do I think I will win the lottery ?

The answer is absolutely YES - do you think I would play if I had NO chance ?

Now, most of you on here that have read any of my jibber-jabber know I'm out to win the PB Pick 5 - I think I have a pretty realistic shot at the 5 white balls, so that's what I concentrate on. To bag the red ball would be nice, I'll take it if I get it, but for some reason I don't do too well in getting the red ball.

Most of us on here know the odds - we 'get it', but we also network and share some thoughts, and maybe it will tip the odds slightly to the better for us. Don't get me wrong - we are all aware the odds are 1:146 million, I think my odds are about 1:200,000 to get all 5 white balls, and even at that those odds are pretty long, but still: it's just a hobby, a game, and one I choose to play. 

guesser's avatar - Lottery-017.jpg

United States
                  Member #41383
                  June 16, 2006
                  1969 Posts
                  Posted: March 21, 2007, 9:13 pm - IP Logged

A persons Belief System can keep them from winning the Lottery.

A wealthy person isn't wealthy because they have money, they have money, because they are wealthy!

To Win the Lottery, you first have to be wealthy, then you will think wealthy thoughts, speak wealthy words, and act wealthy.

Hmmm... I know a LOT of people that have a lot of money, and have no 'wealth' - one friend is a millionaire, he's 52, single, has no family to speak of, lives in a small house in the city, does not have alot of toys, doesn't travel or get out much, and BTW, has worked maybe 2 years in his entire life. But he is young and has his health, he just chooses to live an 'unwealthy' lifestyle.

I also know a lot of very wealthy people that have just enough money to make ends meet - one friend owns a few hundred acres out in the middle of nowhere, somewhere in between Colorado and the Black Hills of SD, lives in a large yet old farm house, has no neighbors for 5 miles in any direction from his land, and LOVES IT. But he is also just a step away from losing it all... to me he is 'wealthy', but he has no money.

I don't connect the two (wealth and money) at all. 

four4me's avatar - gate1
                    MD
                    United States
                    Member #1701
                    June 18, 2003
                    8364 Posts
                    Posted: March 22, 2007, 1:21 am - IP Logged

Yes i realize that i also consider it a hobby for me. I spend the money i used to use to by booze. Since i don't drink alcohol any more. it was nothing for me to spend 20 30 even 40 dollars every time i went out to drink. Drink a few brews and buy a couple rounds and 40 dollars is gone real quick. So now i spend that money on the lottery.

however if i put the money i spend on the lottery in a shoe box and at the end of the month invest it in the stock market in a few years i would recoup much more than i would playing pick 3 or 4. course i would have to pick the right stocks.

I could still afford to buy a few tickets for mega mil and match 5 if i so desired. I'm not trying to talk people out of playing the lottery that's a choice many make of their own accord.

I'll try and put it another way a hundred people walk into a lottery store and buy tickets for pick 3 or 4. say and average purchase is 5 dollars each. When the numbers are drawn how many will be cashing in a winner that day.

now figure that person in line is you if you don't win a straight hit all month. You count on winning real soon to get back what you spent. So you can continue to play to win. A person has to win more often to keep playing and feel like their money was well spent. If you continue to play and don't win it can be depressing. Gambling on lottery wins be it for fun or profit is a gamble. Lots of people play and many don't win.    

Kingston, Ontario
                      Canada
                      Member #46867
                      October 5, 2006
                      106 Posts
                      Posted: March 22, 2007, 4:22 am - IP Logged

Once said..."The lottery is like the Carnival Vendor selling dreams"....and what's wrong with that ???  Nothing.  The most fun I and many others ever had with a lottery ticket is dreaming what  we would do if  we won the big one.  It's great entertainment in my books.   So much fun...predicting, tracking numbers, coming to Lottery Post to hear the hype for the next draw, news, lottery information.  Hell, I would be bored if I didn't play the lottery.  What dreams would we have ???? lol  Some drink and smoke it away, some go to movies and buy the latest fast car, some take vacations, some even save their money their whole lives and never know the joy of spending it.  All in all, when it comes down to it, what each person does and how they chase their wants/needs is up to them.  It's a personal decision for each of us...win or lose.     

Wandering Aimlessly
                        United States
                        Member #25360
                        November 5, 2005
                        4461 Posts
                        Posted: March 22, 2007, 4:46 am - IP Logged

Focusing on winning the lottery is kind of like focusing on "not having". I say this because of some discussions I've had with those who have held this desire. They have shared what they would do with the winnings if they won. Yet, some of the things they say they would do with the money they could actually already be doing with their current incomes on a smaller scale, but they don't. Why not? Because they cling to what they perceive as their "meager savings" with the attitude that they don't have enough out of fear.

We create our own reality. We attract those things in our life (money, relationships, employment) that we focus on. I wish I could tell you that it is as simple as stating an affirmation, but no affirmation is going to work if your thoughts or feelings are negating the positive.

When we focus on "having less" then we create that experience for ourselves. When we focus on "I hate my job" then we will never notice the aspects of our employment that might be satisfying. Basically, just wanting something isn't going to bring that to us when we continue to obsess on the not having of that something. All we will experience is "not having" and will be ultimately blocking our true desires.

Better to focus on a particular object or scenario rather than on winnings or cash.

Raven, you started this topic by copying the following URL word for word and not giving credit to the source.

http://healing.about.com/cs/selfactualization/a/lawofattraction.htm

Then you continued to answer, using the same source (the $400 auto repair) with no reference to the article.  Are you the person who wrote the article? 

"I say this because of some discussions I've had with those who have held this desire. They have shared what they would do with the winnings if they won."  is part of the article.  So is "I personally think focusing on winning the lottery is a fruitless event."

Then you answered by talking about wealth & belief systems and used the exact words from "The Secret."

I've been noticing this for a while, that is, that you copy & paste.  We all take information from other sources to make our points from time to time. However, isn't it wrong to take complete passages from other writers without giving credit?

Sorry, I never meant this to be a criticism or an attack on you, but I kept mentioning this before in more subtle ways.  On one thread, someone asked a question about what you would do if you won a billion dollars and you took an entire paragraph, word for word, from another site.  On the "entitlement" thread, you wrote eloquently about life's virtues and I was in awe, that is, until I read these words of wisdom elsewhere.

Look, we all "cheat" a little when we don't have those moments of inspiration, although I do my best to write extemporaneously. In any case, we should never just search online or in books for something to write, only to claim the words as our own.  My opinion is, if someone can't think of the words to write, then use an emoticon or write something that comes to mind, so you look as hopelessly lost & confused as the rest of us!

United States
                          Member #26330
                          November 16, 2005
                          330 Posts
                          Posted: March 22, 2007, 5:23 am - IP Logged

I see what you guys are saying.  Sometimes focusing on the the wrong goal or defining the problem you are facing so poorly as to be unable to solve the problem. But I look at the lottery as a fantasy something to divert attention from the week to week bordem. A hobby.  Kind of like when I hop into my used honda accord at the end of the work day and crank up the radio, try to imagine i'm driving a nice car with speakers that arent half broken and a crappy paint job.  Until the day my lotto ship comes in it's all just a dream in my head.

MegaWinner's avatar - Lottery-029.jpg
                            New Jersey
                            United States
                            Member #50273
                            March 3, 2007
                            348 Posts
                            Posted: March 22, 2007, 9:46 am - IP Logged

I think SO many people are getting the point of the LOA/Secret messed up.  Too many people are getting caught up in semantics and splitting hairs with their thoughts; including the ORIGINAL author of the paragraph used in this thread.

All you have to do is focus on what you want most of the time and the universe will start to move in your favor.  There is no message in te Secret that says, "If you want to manifest a glass of milk you must visualize whether it is goat or cows milk and whether its pastuerized or homogenized or both and how old it is and what color white it is."  It says that if you want a glass of milk, just visualize and think positively about a glass of milk.  

I see this on the Powerful Intentions forums all the time, that is people racking their brains with unecessary bouts with semantics.  There is too many people getting caught up on the specifics of word selection and not focusing on the thought and feeling/emotion of having what they want.  You just have to keep it simple and focus on what YOU want, because when you do, your wish is my command and so it is.  Its not, "well, jane said I have to visualize every exact detail down to the molecular level if I want it to manifest and I have to use the exact words in a specific order to make it happen."  Well, if she starts to believe that, then that is how it will be for her, that will become her reality. 

One of the main messages of the Secret is that the Universe doesn't really care about speech or words, it cares ONLY what you think about the most and feel, thats it.

So in short, thinking of what you will do with the money after you win (to me at least) is NOT noticing you don't have any money.  When you are thinking of what you will do with it (the money), you actually are pretending you have it already. 

I see people on the Powerful Intentions forums talking about "Switch Words" and all other types of "semantic tools" (like they can trick the universe) and I am floored because they will end up racking their brians for nothing.  Playing with the semantics is not necessary.  You just have to focus on what you want most of the time, feel passionate about it, and be grateful for what you already have is the main message of the Secret.  To quote a line from the dvd, "What you think about, you bring about" & "Your life is a physical manifestation of your thoughts."

(Yes, I have watched the DVD and listened to the Audiobook (Unabridged) more than I care to say here.  And in doing so, I learn something new and understand something a little bit more, mentioned everytime. 

I won't say I am an expert on it but I do see that a LOT of people must be watching or reading the book only once or twice and getting the wrong message.  Even one of the admins over there (Marci From Maui) had to step in and tell people that the semantics are unecessary because the universe is listenening/responding to words, its respond to thoughts and feelings/emotions.  

Sun Smiley I got my fingers crossed ready to win!!! Sun Smiley

Kentucky
                              United States
                              Member #32652
                              February 14, 2006
                              7322 Posts
                              Posted: March 22, 2007, 6:41 pm - IP Logged

Focusing on winning the lottery is kind of like focusing on "not having". I say this because of some discussions I've had with those who have held this desire. They have shared what they would do with the winnings if they won. Yet, some of the things they say they would do with the money they could actually already be doing with their current incomes on a smaller scale, but they don't. Why not? Because they cling to what they perceive as their "meager savings" with the attitude that they don't have enough out of fear.

We create our own reality. We attract those things in our life (money, relationships, employment) that we focus on. I wish I could tell you that it is as simple as stating an affirmation, but no affirmation is going to work if your thoughts or feelings are negating the positive.

When we focus on "having less" then we create that experience for ourselves. When we focus on "I hate my job" then we will never notice the aspects of our employment that might be satisfying. Basically, just wanting something isn't going to bring that to us when we continue to obsess on the not having of that something. All we will experience is "not having" and will be ultimately blocking our true desires.

Better to focus on a particular object or scenario rather than on winnings or cash.

"Focusing on winning the lottery is kind of like focusing on "not having"."

Using that logic, focusing on having a good meal at a restaurant is kind of like focusing on "not getting food poisoning".

"I say this because of some discussions I've had with those who have held this desire. They have shared what they would do with the winnings if they won."

It's obvious that whoever wrote the article wasn't discussing it on Lottery Post because most of those discussions were about what we would do if we won the record Mega Millions jackpot. The focus was not on winning $500, $1000, $100,000 or even $1 million; the focus was on winning $390 million.

If in fact the focus was on "not having", it's on not having $390 million.

"Yet, some of the things they say they would do with the money they could actually already be doing with their current incomes on a smaller scale, but they don't. Why not? Because they cling to what they perceive as their "meager savings" with the attitude that they don't have enough out of fear."

The Messners are in their middle 50s and where quoted saying "we are officially retired" after winning their share of the Mega Millions jackpot. Does that mean they could not have retired had they "only" won $8 million or 3 bucks?

"When we focus on "having less" then we create that experience for ourselves."

That is based on "focusing on winning the lottery is kind of like focusing on "not having", which was not true in the discussions in this forum. The focus on winning Mega Millions was about "having a whole lot more". 

"Better to focus on a particular object or scenario rather than on winnings or cash."

Are the Laws of Attraction similar to "I Dream of Jeannie" of "Bewitched"?

By focusing on a $1 Million home, will it appear if I cross my arms and blink or twitch my nose a couple of times?