Welcome Guest
You last visited December 10, 2016, 4:15 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Focusing On Winning The Lottery Is A Fruitless Event

Topic closed. 40 replies. Last post 10 years ago by truecritic.

Page 1 of 3
PrintE-mailLink
Raven62's avatar - binary
New Jersey
United States
Member #17843
June 28, 2005
49813 Posts
Posted: March 21, 2007, 2:12 pm - IP Logged

Focusing on winning the lottery is kind of like focusing on "not having". I say this because of some discussions I've had with those who have held this desire. They have shared what they would do with the winnings if they won. Yet, some of the things they say they would do with the money they could actually already be doing with their current incomes on a smaller scale, but they don't. Why not? Because they cling to what they perceive as their "meager savings" with the attitude that they don't have enough out of fear.

We create our own reality. We attract those things in our life (money, relationships, employment) that we focus on. I wish I could tell you that it is as simple as stating an affirmation, but no affirmation is going to work if your thoughts or feelings are negating the positive.

When we focus on "having less" then we create that experience for ourselves. When we focus on "I hate my job" then we will never notice the aspects of our employment that might be satisfying. Basically, just wanting something isn't going to bring that to us when we continue to obsess on the not having of that something. All we will experience is "not having" and will be ultimately blocking our true desires.

Better to focus on a particular object or scenario rather than on winnings or cash.

A mind once stretched by a new idea never returns to its original dimensions!

takeitez's avatar - japheth
    Carters Lake, Ga.
    United States
    Member #5313
    June 29, 2004
    1065 Posts
    Posted: March 21, 2007, 2:24 pm - IP Logged

It is better to have had a dream than never to have dreamed at all.

ez

No Pity!Guitar  Drum ........ in the long run........

United States
      Member #17555
      June 22, 2005
      5582 Posts
      Posted: March 21, 2007, 2:25 pm - IP Logged

Amen to that bother (or sister)...LOL

Too much day dreaming going on here . If you win a trillion bucks, what to do with it, how to hide, where to run, what cars would be bought, what house, how many pairs of socks, Id but a third arm, maybe a third eye even, what planet I could buy, and what type of god could I become, what would my neighbors think, what would joe shmoe think, tax issues, it never ends.

I think focusing on how to win, in my opinion is more important than sitting around wondering what to do IF you win.So much energy spent on the wrong things. But that's just me.

Disclaimer: I'm not picking on one person or persons. It's been going on since I came to the LP. Not a big deal, just putting my 2 trillion in, that's all.

Sunny California
        United States
        Member #40295
        May 31, 2006
        7712 Posts
        Posted: March 21, 2007, 2:46 pm - IP Logged

I agree also. The lottery is a big tease in my opinion. So VERY VERY few of us will ever know what winning "big" really is. "Less is more." is what I always say.

MegaWinner's avatar - Lottery-029.jpg
          New Jersey
          United States
          Member #50273
          March 3, 2007
          348 Posts
          Posted: March 21, 2007, 2:49 pm - IP Logged

Amen to that bother (or sister)...LOL

Too much day dreaming going on here . If you win a trillion bucks, what to do with it, how to hide, where to run, what cars would be bought, what house, how many pairs of socks, Id but a third arm, maybe a third eye even, what planet I could buy, and what type of god could I become, what would my neighbors think, what would joe shmoe think, tax issues, it never ends.

I think focusing on how to win, in my opinion is more important than sitting around wondering what to do IF you win.So much energy spent on the wrong things. But that's just me.

Disclaimer: I'm not picking on one person or persons. It's been going on since I came to the LP. Not a big deal, just putting my 2 trillion in, that's all.

I kind of know where you are getting this from but its actually not the message of that source.  Any positive thoughts and energy is good energy.  You are creating YOUR OWN reality by believing that "Focusing On Winning The Lottery Is A Fruitless Event".  That is YOUR reality, not mine (and i'm not saying this to be mean or in a negative way).  I focus on a lot of things and ways to make more money and the lottery is a way to possibly make more money (and a lot of it).

Sun Smiley I got my fingers crossed ready to win!!! Sun Smiley

Raven62's avatar - binary
            New Jersey
            United States
            Member #17843
            June 28, 2005
            49813 Posts
            Posted: March 21, 2007, 3:07 pm - IP Logged

Here is an example:

A man's mother owns a car that is need of repair. The son says "If I win the lottery I will buy my mother a new car". But actually, the son has the means to take her car to the mechanics and pay out $400 needed in repairs to assure that his mom has a dependable car to drive back and forth to the market. When asked why he doesn't then just go ahead and have her current car repaired, he answers, "Well gee, I only have $800 in the bank, and doing that would knock out half my savings. What happens if my car needs repairs next week or my daughter gets sick and needs to see a doctor?"

So you see, the person's true focus is on "not enough" rather than being focused on Winning the Lottery. When we are focused on "not enough" it won't ever matter how much money we have, it will never be enough, and we will never Win the Lottery!

A mind once stretched by a new idea never returns to its original dimensions!

derek7's avatar - speedykat
              IL
              United States
              Member #34578
              March 4, 2006
              198 Posts
              Posted: March 21, 2007, 3:11 pm - IP Logged

Not sure what to reply...

Reading about all these virtual plans for future is somehow fun.

And a little focus is good. I mean, becasue I focus on lottery I spend $1-5 on Wed and Sat and 50 minutes when I select my numbers.

Otherwise I would be spending 5 minutes on selecting my numbers and $50 on tickets... By focusing on lottery, I think I invest my time before I invest my money and this way I invest less $.

I guess... :)

/Derek7

United States
                Member #17555
                June 22, 2005
                5582 Posts
                Posted: March 21, 2007, 3:28 pm - IP Logged

I kind of know where you are getting this from but its actually not the message of that source.  Any positive thoughts and energy is good energy.  You are creating YOUR OWN reality by believing that "Focusing On Winning The Lottery Is A Fruitless Event".  That is YOUR reality, not mine (and i'm not saying this to be mean or in a negative way).  I focus on a lot of things and ways to make more money and the lottery is a way to possibly make more money (and a lot of it).

That is YOUR reality, not mine (and i'm not saying this to be mean or in a negative way). 

Reality? You want reality...LOL

Try 23 million or more to one. Now that's the reality my friend. Getting hit by lightning (atleast in Florida) Is 7 million to one on average.

In order for me to win, It would be the equvalent of being zapped 3 consecutive times, from 3 different clouds, in about 8 seconds.

Take 25 quarters (coins) and throw them in the air, If they all land on the same side, is another perspective of the odds. Try doing it with just 7 or 8 coins and see how long it takes.

Keeping reality in perspective is my point. That doesen't mean you have to stop dreaming.

I wish you all the luck and success in life.

LAVERNE MALONEY's avatar - smallgirl

United States
                  Member #1987
                  August 5, 2003
                  8968 Posts
                  Posted: March 21, 2007, 3:32 pm - IP Logged

Focusing on winning the lottery is kind of like focusing on "not having". I say this because of some discussions I've had with those who have held this desire. They have shared what they would do with the winnings if they won. Yet, some of the things they say they would do with the money they could actually already be doing with their current incomes on a smaller scale, but they don't. Why not? Because they cling to what they perceive as their "meager savings" with the attitude that they don't have enough out of fear.

We create our own reality. We attract those things in our life (money, relationships, employment) that we focus on. I wish I could tell you that it is as simple as stating an affirmation, but no affirmation is going to work if your thoughts or feelings are negating the positive.

When we focus on "having less" then we create that experience for ourselves. When we focus on "I hate my job" then we will never notice the aspects of our employment that might be satisfying. Basically, just wanting something isn't going to bring that to us when we continue to obsess on the not having of that something. All we will experience is "not having" and will be ultimately blocking our true desires.

Better to focus on a particular object or scenario rather than on winnings or cash.

Hello there Raven62, 

Your statement about attraction is very true. When you change your attitude to a positive one others feel it & see it. & then most of the time they give it back to you & that puts you in the plus column. Having a postive attitude is for the most part the best way to draw what you want to you. It's all energy.

When you learn to create that energy with good thoughts & good feelings then ways to bring winning & cash to you will come. It may not come in a big way at first, however the key is to harness the little ways, look for patterns & then you will see your winnings & cash get even bigger. I mean what I am saying.

Some of my greatest personal discoveries have come from going back over little things that were fruitful for me. Collect those little things that brought happiness, each time you think about it your positive energy should rise. Yes, there are going to be stumbling blocks. However out of chaos a good opportunity(s) can be birthed.

Winnings or cash = a good energy attitude + what you know to be true, to work time after time.    

MegaWinner's avatar - Lottery-029.jpg
                    New Jersey
                    United States
                    Member #50273
                    March 3, 2007
                    348 Posts
                    Posted: March 21, 2007, 3:40 pm - IP Logged

That is YOUR reality, not mine (and i'm not saying this to be mean or in a negative way). 

Reality? You want reality...LOL

Try 23 million or more to one. Now that's the reality my friend. Getting hit by lightning (atleast in Florida) Is 7 million to one on average.

In order for me to win, It would be the equvalent of being zapped 3 consecutive times, from 3 different clouds, in about 8 seconds.

Take 25 quarters (coins) and throw them in the air, If they all land on the same side, is another perspective of the odds. Try doing it with just 7 or 8 coins and see how long it takes.

Keeping reality in perspective is my point. That doesen't mean you have to stop dreaming.

I wish you all the luck and success in life.

Basically what I am saying is people want different things.  You cannot define another persons reality.  You can only define yours.  So by me thinking and believing that I will win the lottery (I have felt this way LOOOOOONG before I heard about the Secret/LOA) is a good thing to me.  It might be fruitless to you but it isn't to me.

Sun Smiley I got my fingers crossed ready to win!!! Sun Smiley

United States
                      Member #17555
                      June 22, 2005
                      5582 Posts
                      Posted: March 21, 2007, 3:54 pm - IP Logged

Basically what I am saying is people want different things.  You cannot define another persons reality.  You can only define yours.  So by me thinking and believing that I will win the lottery (I have felt this way LOOOOOONG before I heard about the Secret/LOA) is a good thing to me.  It might be fruitless to you but it isn't to me.

Basically what I am saying is people want different things.

Don't you think I would love to have millions in the bank? Of course I would.

You cannot define another persons reality. 

You're right, I can't in general, but I can define the odds. That reality exists no matter how many fingers, toes, and eyes you cross. That reality never changes.

justxploring's avatar - villiarna
                        Wandering Aimlessly
                        United States
                        Member #25360
                        November 5, 2005
                        4461 Posts
                        Posted: March 21, 2007, 4:38 pm - IP Logged

Yet, some of the things they say they would do with the money they could actually already be doing with their current incomes on a smaller scale, but they don't. Why not? Because they cling to what they perceive as their "meager savings" with the attitude that they don't have enough out of fear.

How presumptuous and arrogant of you!  Anyone have a thesaurus handy, because there are other words that came to mind when I read your statement, which IS only your opinion.

Anyway, I believe this topic belongs in the mystical forum or maybe a blog, since this isn't a Lottery Discussion at all.  It's about what you assume people think and assume how they live and spend their money.

There would be no Lottery Post if people didn't want to win or find the idea of it exciting.  I agree with a lot of what you wrote about creating our own reality and the power of attraction. Motivational speakers and inspirational writers such as Dwayne Dyer (and EmilyG!) have been saying this for years. I don't think someone who believes she might win a lot of money or has fun trying is focussing all her energy on having less.

I'm certainly not going to walk up to the counter tonight and say "I probably won't win, so I'm wasting my money." Then I'll surely lose. 

pigsNtrees's avatar - pigsNtrees
                          Mallorn trees of Lothlorien
                          United States
                          Member #26084
                          November 14, 2005
                          199 Posts
                          Posted: March 21, 2007, 4:52 pm - IP Logged

Yet, some of the things they say they would do with the money they could actually already be doing with their current incomes on a smaller scale, but they don't. Why not?

My meager savings, is not the same as my meager disposable income. My savings are my only safety net, and something that I will not gamble with, in any shape or form. The money I use for lotto, is so small that it is not feasible to use it in that way. So yes I spend time dreaming of a better life that having six winning numbers can bring. It is better than the nightmare of losing all my saving in the stock market.

Quando Porca Volare!

drunk hobbit

justxploring's avatar - villiarna
                            Wandering Aimlessly
                            United States
                            Member #25360
                            November 5, 2005
                            4461 Posts
                            Posted: March 21, 2007, 4:59 pm - IP Logged

Yet, some of the things they say they would do with the money they could actually already be doing with their current incomes on a smaller scale, but they don't. Why not?

My meager savings, is not the same as my meager disposable income. My savings are my only safety net, and something that I will not gamble with, in any shape or form. The money I use for lotto, is so small that it is not feasible to use it in that way. So yes I spend time dreaming of a better life that having six winning numbers can bring. It is better than the nightmare of losing all my saving in the stock market.

Exactly!  Bravo!  I Agree!  I have neighbors who go out and blow their "meager savings" on wide screen tv sets and then collect money from the government because they're poor.  Then there are the people who stop for a drink at happy hour or buy new clothes and are late on the rent. There's a difference between being sensible and being cheap.

I want to apologize to my fellow members if I sounded negative and argumentative in my previous post.  It's just that I sign on to LP many times and read posts, blogs and other so-called original ideas or personal thoughts that aren't original and the writer takes credit for them.  I find this all over the internet.

Raven's entire post is plagiarized.  Actually, so is the post about the $400 auto repair.  As a struggling writer, I can't help my reaction.  If someone wants to use another's exact words, there are a couple of very high-tech instruments I suggest.  They're called quotation marks.

Coin Toss's avatar - shape barbed.jpg
                              Zeta Reticuli Star System
                              United States
                              Member #30470
                              January 17, 2006
                              10354 Posts
                              Posted: March 21, 2007, 5:54 pm - IP Logged

Interesting thread. To me, hitting a lottery jaclpot would kind of be like getting out of the Army. You've been sleeping in the snow, living out in the woods nine months out of twelve most years, getting shot at,  having to run 2 miles a day or 5 on Fridays when you're not in the field, etc...

Then one morning you wake up and you don't have to do any of that anymore! 

Many winners that have been interviewed have said that you just trade one set of problems for another, but I would think everyone on this board that hears that thinks, "Let me try dealing with that!"

It's true that a lot pf people that talk about things they'd do if they won the lotto don't need that much money to do some of those things. Maslow's triangle comes to mind here - we all seek food, clothing and shelter. Then companionship and material things. Then we reach 'self-actualization.' But being human, that's never enough, so we go to a 'higher triangle', and now we want better food, clothing, and shelter. Being human, it never stops.

The person that was praying for any set of wheels, just reliable transportation gets it and then a short time later wants a Hummer (or whatever).

I was at a real estate seminar once and the speaker was talking about wealth. He asked what people would do with a million dollars. Most people said pay off bills and buy a car and a house. He told them they didn't need a million, only five or six figures.

As far as 'thinking lack', this is from the book The Secret:

The law of attraction doesn't compute 'don't' or 'not' or 'no', or any other words of negagtion.  As you speak words of negation, this is what the law of attraction is receiving:

I don't want a bad haircut.

I want bad haircuts.

I don't want to be delayed.

I want delays.  

The Secret

Rhonda Byrne

p14

________

Deep stuff!

________

Justxploring, sidetrack, but....

A few uears ago, a ftrind and I were working on a book to be called "Go Figure", just a list of 'ponerables' that make you think - such as:

Ever notice when you go to a deep discount store there's lots of luxury cars in the parking lot? Go Figure!

Well, two years go by and I hear very little about the book, just an occassional e-mail adding to the list. Then he forgets it's me he's e-mailing, and tells me he has written a book he's going to submit to an agent, called, "How Come?" - and it was the exact same list we had compiled, except every item started with How come instead of ending with Go Figure. 

Bang Head

(Back on track)

Sorry for the rant - let's say that telling some people not to focus on winning a jackpot would be like telling someone, "Don't think of a white horse".  

Those who run the lotteries love it when players look for consistency in something that's designed not to have any.

Lep

There is one and only one 'proven' system, and that is to book the action. No matter the game, let the players pick their own losers.