Welcome Guest
You last visited January 19, 2017, 2:04 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Lottery Post in Spanish...

Topic closed. 20 replies. Last post 10 years ago by pumpi76.

Page 1 of 2
PrintE-mailLink

Honduras
Member #20982
August 29, 2005
4715 Posts
Posted: March 29, 2007, 3:57 pm - IP Logged

Guys, i feel that There ought to be another Lottery Post but in Spanish...Here in Panama, they LOVE to talk about the lottery...And when i tell people about the lottos in the States that pay millions, they get so astonish, is like they were saying "Whaoo"...
Guys, 1,000 dollar is like 2,500 dollars in Panama
That is why i think there should be another Lottery Post Website but in Spanish where Todd is the Chairman (he doesnt not have to read everything but he is the President/Chairman: other people can do the rest), so that the Hispanic population of the U.S.A (TX, FL, NY, CA) can access it...I know there are lots of Mexicans in the States that like to play lottery, but do not read good English..And not to mention that there is almost a CONTINENT, that speak Spanish...In Brazil, they all almost know Spanish, because Portuguese is 60% Spanish; 40% French (i read this fact i think it was on CNN)...And i say only Spanish because is so popular...
Guys, i say that there are like 650-700 million people that speak Spanish in the Americas continent...

What do you think Todd? What do you all think?

Coastal Georgia
    United States
    Member #2653
    October 30, 2003
    1866 Posts
    Posted: March 29, 2007, 4:34 pm - IP Logged

Guys, i feel that There ought to be another Lottery Post but in Spanish...Here in Panama, they LOVE to talk about the lottery...And when i tell people about the lottos in the States that pay millions, they get so astonish, is like they were saying "Whaoo"...
    That is why i think there should be another Lottery Post Website but in Spanish where Todd is the Chairman (he doesnt not have to read everything but he is the President/Chairman: other people can do the rest), so that the Hispanic population of the U.S.A (TX, FL, NY, CA) can access it...I know there are lots of Mexicans in the States that like to play lottery, but do not read good English..And not to mention that there is almost a CONTINENT, that speak Spanish...In Brazil, they all almost know Spanish, because Portuguese is 60% Spanish; 40% French (i read this fact i think it was on CNN)...And i say only Spanish because is so popular...
    Guys, i say that there are like 650-700 million people that speak Spanish in the Americas continent...

pumpi76,

There's nothing stopping YOU from starting your own website in spanish. You seem to have an endless supply of ideas, so use them....................

The alternative is........do I even have to type this ? OK, I will.......If one is in this country, learn to read and / or speak the dam language.

If I went to Panama, China, Bumfuzzle or wherever to live, I would have to learn the language, right ?

justxploring's avatar - villiarna
      Wandering Aimlessly
      United States
      Member #25360
      November 5, 2005
      4461 Posts
      Posted: March 29, 2007, 5:06 pm - IP Logged

Hi, Pumpi.  This is the first time you mentioned where you live, to the best of my knowledge.  I think that's exciting!  Why show you are from Georgia under your avatar?  Anyway, I'm a little confused about the above statement.  When I was in Panama, the Balboa was the same as the American dollar. In fact, I was able to freely use American dollars as legal currency, unlike Costa Rica where I needed to exchange my dollars for colones. 

I guess what you are saying is that to a person working or living in Panama, $1,000 will go much further than it will here, which is very true.  Mainly it's because the average income is much less.  It's a beautiful country and services are so much cheaper than in the United States, which is why many people have retired to Panama.  I found their pensionado program to be very enticing.  Unfortunately, my financial situation changed, so I'll probably be working until I'm 97 or dead, whichever comes first.

Regarding the topic, I agree with Double Down.  I have a question for Todd - can't anything online be translated into another language with the right software?  If someone from another country wanted to contribute to LP, I always assumed he/she would be able to write something in French, Spanish, German or whatever language spoken, and then have it translated, although the translation might be too literal instead of conversational. (Maybe I'm getting this mixed up with the web master's ability to choose this option?)

lotterybraker's avatar - pyramid
        mississippi
        United States
        Member #34478
        March 3, 2006
        5906 Posts
        Posted: March 29, 2007, 5:14 pm - IP Logged

Hi, Pumpi.  This is the first time you mentioned where you live, to the best of my knowledge.  I think that's exciting!  Why show you are from Georgia under your avatar?  Anyway, I'm a little confused about the above statement.  When I was in Panama, the Balboa was the same as the American dollar. In fact, I was able to freely use American dollars as legal currency, unlike Costa Rica where I needed to exchange my dollars for colones. 

I guess what you are saying is that to a person working or living in Panama, $1,000 will go much further than it will here, which is very true.  Mainly it's because the average income is much less.  It's a beautiful country and services are so much cheaper than in the United States, which is why many people have retired to Panama.  I found their pensionado program to be very enticing.  Unfortunately, my financial situation changed, so I'll probably be working until I'm 97 or dead, whichever comes first.

Regarding the topic, I agree with Double Down.  I have a question for Todd - can't anything online be translated into another language with the right software?  If someone from another country wanted to contribute to LP, I always assumed he/she would be able to write something in French, Spanish, German or whatever language spoken, and then have it translated, although the translation might be too literal instead of conversational. (Maybe I'm getting this mixed up with the web master's ability to choose this option?)

they have online translation available..places like babelfish.com..if my memory serves me correctly..I used it for my Spanish classes when I was in college...

"Attention all Mathematicians: Check your degree at the door because when it comes to whole numbers you are the Amateur"

JAP69's avatar - alas
          South Carolina
          United States
          Member #6
          November 4, 2001
          8797 Posts
          Posted: March 29, 2007, 5:23 pm - IP Logged

they have online translation available..places like babelfish.com..if my memory serves me correctly..I used it for my Spanish classes when I was in college...

Lotterybraker is right.

I have used on line translators.

Some are free up to a max word limit. There are others that charge fees for the services.

I copied and pasted your first paragraph for translation at a translator site.

Los tipos, yo me siento que debe haber otro Poste de Lotería pero en español. ..Here en Panamá, ellos ADORAN hablar acerca de la lotería. ..And cuando digo a personas acerca de las loterías en los Estados que pagan millón, ellos obtienen tan asombra, está como ellos decían "Whaoo"... Los tipos, 1.000 dólar está como 2.500 dólares en Panamá

Do a search and you will find the sites.

Some of the if you give the url they will translate that url page.

Oo'Ka

lotterybraker's avatar - pyramid
            mississippi
            United States
            Member #34478
            March 3, 2006
            5906 Posts
            Posted: March 29, 2007, 5:26 pm - IP Logged

Here en Panamá..they are slipping..if my memory serves me correctly..shouldnt that be aqui en panama..LOL

"Attention all Mathematicians: Check your degree at the door because when it comes to whole numbers you are the Amateur"

Wandering Aimlessly
              United States
              Member #25360
              November 5, 2005
              4461 Posts
              Posted: March 29, 2007, 5:43 pm - IP Logged

Here en Panamá..they are slipping..if my memory serves me correctly..shouldnt that be aqui en panama..LOL

That's sort of what I meant in my post when I said the translation might not be that great, although not that bad. I've gotten some weird translations just by clicking on "view in English" on a search engine.

LANTERN's avatar - kilroy 28_173_reasonably_small.jpg
                Tx
                United States
                Member #4570
                May 4, 2004
                5180 Posts
                Posted: March 29, 2007, 6:14 pm - IP Logged

Yes, the machine translations are not so good, some better and others worse, I have tried them also a few times.

Some translation engines are better than others, you have to look for and try very many of them. 

It has been a long while since I used translators. 

I don't know if a Spanish Lottery Post might be a good idea, but it might be. 

BibleOnline  ParishesOnline  ChristianRadioOnline   MassOnline   Mass

"Ten measures of beauty descended to the world, nine were taken by Jerusalem."

United States
                  Member #17555
                  June 22, 2005
                  5582 Posts
                  Posted: March 29, 2007, 6:17 pm - IP Logged

So Todd's name would be Toddito?

Wandering Aimlessly
                    United States
                    Member #25360
                    November 5, 2005
                    4461 Posts
                    Posted: March 29, 2007, 6:29 pm - IP Logged

No, Todd is just Todd in Spanish.  Todd is an English name meaning "fox."  (from a baby name book)

....I knew this place reminded me of something from the X-Files!  LOL

LANTERN's avatar - kilroy 28_173_reasonably_small.jpg
                      Tx
                      United States
                      Member #4570
                      May 4, 2004
                      5180 Posts
                      Posted: March 29, 2007, 6:39 pm - IP Logged

Lottery Post International 

Poste de Loteria  Latino

Bienvenidos

Boa vinda

Benvenuto

Bienvenue

BibleOnline  ParishesOnline  ChristianRadioOnline   MassOnline   Mass

"Ten measures of beauty descended to the world, nine were taken by Jerusalem."

Honduras
                        Member #20982
                        August 29, 2005
                        4715 Posts
                        Posted: March 29, 2007, 7:09 pm - IP Logged

Thank you double down, i didn´t think about it...I have decided that if todd is not going to do it, i am going to do it...i am going to talk to my friend and see if he is into the idea (by the way he works for the Panama Nacional Lottery...lol...But it would not be no time soon it will be like 2 years from now, because right now i am saving money to buy my mother a house and i wouldnt have the money until 1 and a half to 2 years from now...

JustXploring, thank you very much you remind me of something i had on my email but deleted...Yeah you are right you could translate the message into english and viceversa...But the translantions do not come up 100% correct but more like 93%-95% correct, especially if they are using computers/software to do it...I am living right now in Panama for 2 years and afterwards i´ll be going back the Georgia...I used to live with my parents back in Georgia but they moved now to Panama, and my two oldest brothers are living in the house in Georgia...Most of my dad-side family lives in Georgia...

I was just going to say : Poste de Loteria Espanol will not sound good because people will think is from Spain...And it will not be Poste de Lotteria International because is international it only speaks 1-2 languages..

JAP69
                        "Los tipos, yo me siento que debe haber otro Poste de Lotería pero en español. ..Here en Panamá, ellos ADORAN hablar acerca de la lotería. ..And cuando digo a personas acerca de las loterías en los Estados que pagan millón, ellos obtienen tan asombra, está como ellos decían "Whaoo"... Los tipos, 1.000 dólar está como 2.500 dólares en Panamá¨"

"Those eyes......."      "They just dissappeared......" from movie "Predator 1"

LOTTOMIKE's avatar - Lottery-063.jpg
                          Tennessee
                          United States
                          Member #7853
                          October 15, 2004
                          11338 Posts
                          Posted: March 29, 2007, 7:28 pm - IP Logged

So Todd's name would be Toddito?

todd would be tostitos like the chips?

tienda

Todd's avatar - Cylon 2.gif
                            Chief Bottle Washer
                            New Jersey
                            United States
                            Member #1
                            May 31, 2000
                            23350 Posts
                            Posted: March 30, 2007, 12:32 am - IP Logged

Maybe someday.  I would have to find a native speaker with the same level of dedication -- and same sensibilities -- as myself, in order to be comfortable that it would succeed.

That's for the forum part though.  The other parts, like results, systems, etc., can be translated, and that may happen at some point.

JE mentioned automatic translators, which are available at sites like Google and AltaVista, as well as other dedicated language translation sites, but they are really only good for one-off translations.  They tend to be too annoying for daily usage.  (JE was also right about my name, including English origin!)

Check the State Lottery Report Card
                            What grade did your lottery earn?

Sign the Petition for True Lottery Drawings
                            Help eliminate computerized drawings!

four4me's avatar - gate1
                              MD
                              United States
                              Member #1701
                              June 18, 2003
                              8393 Posts
                              Posted: March 30, 2007, 2:04 am - IP Logged

I may be way off track here but dosent microsoft have features to turn web pages into other languages.