Welcome Guest
You last visited December 9, 2016, 2:19 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

You've realized you won the JP, what happens in the next hour for you?

Topic closed. 36 replies. Last post 10 years ago by hypersoniq.

Page 2 of 3
PrintE-mailLink
guesser's avatar - Lottery-017.jpg

United States
Member #41383
June 16, 2006
1969 Posts
Posted: April 4, 2007, 11:20 am - IP Logged

I  do hope you win the jackpot Mr. Megawinner because you sure seem to stay hung up on it.

+1

guesser's avatar - Lottery-017.jpg

United States
    Member #41383
    June 16, 2006
    1969 Posts
    Posted: April 4, 2007, 11:23 am - IP Logged

Heh Coin Toss...I can relate to your story and do you just a little better..many moons ago when I first started playing the lottery there was a guy I knew through my job that went to florida every week to buy tickets for us Mississippi people..but..before Florida and the local gov..fbi..or whoever it was that made him stop..I hit 5 out of 6 on floridas lottery..now here is the kicker...I just had surgery on that friday..minor knee surgery ...well..next day..I am laying in my bed with my tickets so I call the place that went and got them and asked if anyone knew what the winning numbers were..the lady at my friends place of work told me and she could only remember 5 of them and the five she gave were the five I had on my ticket..then she preceeeded to tell me that someone won the lottery but she didnt have any idea who or how many..so I am sitting there with all 5 of the numbers she could remember and I am thinking I won the lottery..lol..took about 15 minutes or so before she could find someone in the office that had all 6 numbers..and here I am telling her I got all 5..I might have won..lol..she was as excited as I was..but it wasnt me..I missed 10 million bucks by one stinking number..did get 3300.00 that week for it..this was like 1990..maybe 1991..been hooked ever since..lol

Don't be too tough on yourself, you had 5x6, it could have been 4x6, or 0x6.........

Think positive thoughts. 

amsoly41's avatar - ron paul_gold_standard.jpg
      Tennessee
      United States
      Member #24912
      October 29, 2005
      94 Posts
      Posted: April 4, 2007, 12:05 pm - IP Logged

Probably the ER to recover from a heart attack.

Scared

Money can't buy you happiness... but it does bring you a more pleasant form of misery Wink

Luminus's avatar - ouskuu

United States
        Member #51269
        April 3, 2007
        529 Posts
        Posted: April 4, 2007, 12:20 pm - IP Logged

Buy a gun.Yellow EyesRazz

The universe does not bend to your ignorance.

Just because you believe it, doesn't make it true.

Guru101's avatar - rw6jhh
          Indiana
          United States
          Member #48725
          January 7, 2007
          1954 Posts
          Posted: April 4, 2007, 12:56 pm - IP Logged

I would be very proud of myself because I knew I would do it.

Gonna win.Big Smile

California
            United States
            Member #46824
            October 1, 2006
            270 Posts
            Posted: April 4, 2007, 1:22 pm - IP Logged

First...Deep Breaths, in then out.  Once I recover then it would be on to the CA Lottery web site to be sure I won.  That would mean verifying that the store listed where the winning ticket was sold was where I bought my ticket.  Then check the numbers one more time.

Once it settles in that in fact I won and my heart rate is back to normal there would be a scream of joy like none other.  From there it would be call the wife at work if weekday, or let her sleep in if weekend (which she is probably awake from my scream of joy, heck she can sleep in every day from now on) and then share with her the good news.

From there my first step would be to protect the ticket, either in a bank safety deposit box or a fire proof safe at home.

Then a call would go out to an attorney or my banker friend to set up a meeting about the next steps with my new found wealth.

LuckyLilly's avatar - savy chick.png

United States
              Member #50124
              February 26, 2007
              601 Posts
              Posted: April 4, 2007, 1:37 pm - IP Logged

I'd be very shaky.  I'd say my favorite expression, "holy f-ing crap!".  I'd check the numbers at several different places to make sure somebody didn't mess up posting them.  It would probably take 10 or 15 minutes to convince myself I had really won. 

Then I'd scream Yes! Yes! Yes! and then spend the next 5 minutes hugging and dancing with the kitties telling them the first thing we'll buy is a safe place to build an enclosure where they could go outside whenever they wanted.  Well, I'd be hugging and dancing with one kitty cuz my yelling and screaming would have scared the other one so bad she'd have run under the bed and hide. 

I'd get out the phone book and find the Tax Attorney/CPA who I know a previous jackpot winner here used.  I'd print out the mapquest map to his office, then make a list of questions I need to remember to ask, the first being "is there anyway to stay anonymous here, can you recommend an attorney who could help me do that". 

I'd write down the phone number of the construction company I want to hire to rip my house down and build a couple townhouses on my lot, just to annoy my obnoxious neighbor. 

And the hour would probably be up.  Hopefully it would be a Wednesday night cuz I don't know if I could stand just sitting around all day Sunday not being able to set things in action. 

Omniscient's avatar - Lottery-017.jpg
                Florida
                United States
                Member #46570
                September 14, 2006
                558 Posts
                Posted: April 4, 2007, 2:04 pm - IP Logged

Well... I'd have to double/triple/quadruple check my numbers to make 100% sure I did hit. And if I did have all the numbers, I'd sign the back of the ticket with my heart pounding heavily. Then call my family (only) and let them know the good news..and I know one of them will leak the info to my relatives and before you know it, everyone will know..there goes my privacy. Then I'd have thoughts of how I will retire early(sleep late! woohoo!) and enjoy the rest of my life after I have invested wisely and have created residual and generation income. Perhaps some kind of trust fund for myself where I'd get so much every month and the rest keeps accruing interest faster than my income. Then just dream away about owning a new home,car and traveling. And remember to do, say and promise NOTHING to anyone during my DFZ(Decision Free Zone) until after my money is safely invested and out of reach of the vultures. Eek

God ! I hope money doesn't make me paranoid! LOL Blue Thinking

Hopefully 1 hour will cover this. THEN ITS PATY TIME !!!Party

TheGameGrl's avatar - character catafly.jpg
                  A long and winding road
                  United States
                  Member #17084
                  June 10, 2005
                  4530 Posts
                  Posted: April 4, 2007, 6:19 pm - IP Logged

Agree on triple verifying that the numbers on the tickets are correct. Sign it, then hide it. I'd thank the creator of life and lay down for preparation for the next mornings phone calls.

I learned awhile back to not make a spectacle of matters when large fortunes are involved. Lay low and be calm about the situation. Its the days ahead where clear thinking will be imparative.

~~Is it true, Is it kind,Is it necessary. ~~~

christmas holly jolly numbers: 255,303,6911, 474,477 silver:47,gold:79.

Racine,Wisconsin.
                    United States
                    Member #47605
                    November 14, 2006
                    17 Posts
                    Posted: April 4, 2007, 6:41 pm - IP Logged

I would probably go back to sleep worried about what's going to happen

in the next week to come. Slightly worried that I would tell all my 100 neighbors

in this 100 unit apartment building and make a total fool of my self.

Actually I wrote down step by step what

to do in case I do hit it big and put it away in a folder so I am not worried.

They say it takes about 3 to 6 months before you completely recover

from a big win and things go back to normal. 

kandi44's avatar - masked
                      georgetown
                      United States
                      Member #46979
                      October 12, 2006
                      1129 Posts
                      Posted: April 4, 2007, 6:44 pm - IP Logged

check to make sure i have the winning numbers than i would fall on my knees and start thanking the lord. contact my close family members than the lawyer

justxploring's avatar - villiarna
                        Wandering Aimlessly
                        United States
                        Member #25360
                        November 5, 2005
                        4461 Posts
                        Posted: April 4, 2007, 6:47 pm - IP Logged

Okay, after reading the comments on this thread (would shake, faint, go crazy, etc.) I have come to the conclusion that the lottery needs to put a warning on the back of the ticket.

"Caution.  Do not check numbers while driving or operating heavy machinery."

OldSchoolPa's avatar - Lottery-057.jpg
                          Gurnee, Illinois
                          United States
                          Member #49731
                          February 12, 2007
                          917 Posts
                          Posted: April 4, 2007, 7:35 pm - IP Logged

I expect to win so I won't jump around and scream or cry.  I would first thank my Lord FOR ALLOWING ME TO LIVE TO SEE THAT DAY and thank Him for the increase.  Then I would open up another browser window and mapquest the directions from my house to the lottery headquarters.  If I could still make it to the lottery headquarters that same day, I would jump in my car (with ticket in tow) and drive there to claim my prize.  Calling lawyers and tax accountants will occur a bit later as I would not have any plans of "sharing" the wealth any time soon nor would I anticipate Uncle Sam to come calling right away.  When would my wife find out about the win...if possible, NEVER...all she needs to know is that I came across a very, very, VERY wealthy client as the reason we can now afford the Bentleys, Mazeratis, and high performance Mercedes instead of the faithful beaters we've been driving!

Get MONEY!!! Winning a JACKPOT lottery is all the HOPE and CHANGE I desire!!!  NOW give me MONEY!US Flag

The guy who won the presidency in 2008 really won the lottery...he is now millions richer, travels in first class style, and even has a staff that would be the envy of the richest Powerball winner (she has a staff of 2). Every night he goes to sleep, he probably plays the close of Dave Chappelle's Show: I'm rich beyatch!

pigsNtrees's avatar - pigsNtrees
                            Mallorn trees of Lothlorien
                            United States
                            Member #26084
                            November 14, 2005
                            199 Posts
                            Posted: April 5, 2007, 5:49 pm - IP Logged

First off I check my numbers right after they are up, so I can't do allot at 10:08 at night.

Check and recheck my ticket, that would probably take an hour or so. Then I would put my plan into action. Take lots of pictures of the ticket. Pull up my works document I've been keeping for years on what to do if this happens to us. Go online and read every story (again). What I would not do is sign my ticket until I checked with my attorney to see if it would be better to sign with my name or with the name of a company I would form. I would want to tell you all but, I had better check with the attorney for that as well.

Quando Porca Volare!

drunk hobbit

Any town, USA
                              United States
                              Member #46729
                              September 25, 2006
                              112 Posts
                              Posted: April 5, 2007, 9:47 pm - IP Logged

Ditto.

But I would definitely do what the threadstarter mentioned.  I would like for reputable CPA firm and then a tax attorney.  I know about investing so no financial advsior, just a reputable firm.

Tell nobody until I have a will and estate/trust account in place.  Money makes people do strange things.