Welcome Guest
You last visited December 6, 2016, 11:05 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

the average lottery player

Topic closed. 40 replies. Last post 10 years ago by pigsNtrees.

Page 3 of 3
PrintE-mailLink

do you think the average lottery player cares about computer draws,high prices and bad odds?

yes they do care [ 16 ]  [20.51%]
no they don't care [ 54 ]  [69.23%]
not sure [ 8 ]  [10.26%]
Total Valid Votes [ 78 ]  
Discarded Votes [ 1 ]  
blackwood/nj
United States
Member #51314
April 5, 2007
1 Posts
Posted: April 9, 2007, 3:55 pm - IP Logged

i think most players would like to no the odds of what #s hit the most.

Shawnintennesse's avatar - British Pint_414_.jpg
    Springfield,Ohio
    United States
    Member #14006
    April 19, 2005
    3972 Posts
    Posted: April 9, 2007, 4:07 pm - IP Logged

I don't know how you all pick your numbers.

But I use Vtracs and Stats to pick my numbers.

And it all rap's up to matter a whole lot.

People that say that it dosen't are just putting there money and flushing it down the toilet. 

If it weren't for Vtracs and STXS where would we be?

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
      mid-Ohio
      United States
      Member #9
      March 24, 2001
      19825 Posts
      Posted: April 9, 2007, 4:19 pm - IP Logged

RJOH:  I wasn't being nor am I delusional; I was merely being sarcastic.  Everybody knows that the overwhelming majority of all the millions of lottery tickets purchased are losers.  But all that matters are those few who do match and win.  Since I can afford to wager a dollar or more every week on the lottery, that is what I choose to do.  I also have a good amount of my money working for me in various mutual funds that have returned over 12 percent the past three years, and I had done equally as well in my investments prior to that time.  So no, I am not delusional.  And perhaps I shouldn't quit my day career to become a comedian because apparently my sense of humor flew right over your head!  Don't take things so seriously...how can you when you play the lottery!

Sorry I didn't realize you were trying to be sarcastic.  You're right, I shouldn't have taken your post seriously, in the future I'll remember that when ever I see your name.  Good luck on your career as a comedian.

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning ticket * 

Evil Looking       

jarasan's avatar - new patrick.gif
        Harbinger
        D.C./MD.
        United States
        Member #44103
        July 30, 2006
        5583 Posts
        Posted: April 9, 2007, 6:21 pm - IP Logged

I never said that people who pick there own numbers NEVER win.  What I did say is that people who purchase QPs WIN MORE OFTEN.  Heck, even I have received a W-2G for winnings from my own picks, so I won't deny you that.  Perhaps you do much better with your own picks just because you play more of your own picks than QPs.  I can tell you that those 60-70% of jackpot winners who won by just buying a QP (or QPs) will say that they had much better luck doing that than playing their own numbers.  It's all based upon the perspective of your experience.

Now I wouldn't use the term professional and average together when talking about the lottery.  In athletics and business you have professionals...professional basketball player, professional golfer, professional tennis player, professional bowler,etc; accounting professional, medical professional, etc.  In the area of professional sports, just the mere fact of being a professional does not guarantee that one will win their respective championship; but those who hone their skills to be among the best are usually rewarded with appearances in their respective all-star games and generous compensation.  Using your example, the "adventurous" (not average) person who decides to skydive HAS to rely on a jumpmaster in order to skydive SAFELY until that person has the required experience and demonstrated skills to do so alone.  Because that new skydiver does not either have the experience or knowledge of how to properly fold his/her parachute, that person HAS  to rely on the professional to do it.  There are people who have been playing the lottery for 20 or 30 years without a third tier and above win playing their own numbers.  There are people who decided to purchase their first or first few tickets and actually won jackpot games like the Big Game, Powerball, and state lottos.  In this case, if you choose to call people who have been playing the lottery for a long time or those who participate in forums like LP "professionals", then I would say that there are many more cases of "average lottery players" who have actually achieved what a lot of "professionals" only continue to dream about...a jackpot lottery win!  Your past experience or use of a system DOES NOT matter when it comes to your chances of success in winning a jackpot game.  The only thing that matters in actually winning a jackpot game is a person luckily having purchased EITHER a QP or an own pick with the numbers that by HAPPENSTANCE rolled in that particular drawing. 

Nothing personal with the "fooling yourself" statement, but anyone with a rational viewpoint of the lottery would say that the person who thinks what they do (playing a system, superstititious ticket buying habits) is indeed fooling him/herself.  Politely spoken, they might even say the person is a bit delusional.  But if you get enjoyment from playing strictly your own picks, have at it.  But I cannot ignore the success those QPers have had, so that is what I will be doing from here on out.  BTW when my QPs ever happen to match all 6 numbers, I will send you a jpeg of the photo of me posing with my oversized jackpot check!

OldSchoolPA. says: "The only thing that matters in actually winning a jackpot game is a person luckily having purchased EITHER a QP or an own pick with the numbers that by HAPPENSTANCE rolled in that particular drawing."  I agree with this. I just take it a little too personally sometimes, when someone comes on this forum and tells us it all luck. QPs are QPs are QPs. I don't play them, and I don't expect to win with a quick pick, that is all.  Quick Picks are UNlucky for me.  I get measurable results with my picks and my picks are LUCKIER than QPs. I tell people who don't play regularly "play QPs yous might get lucky"                          LOL jarasan

Coin Toss's avatar - shape barbed.jpg
          Zeta Reticuli Star System
          United States
          Member #30470
          January 17, 2006
          10351 Posts
          Posted: April 10, 2007, 1:53 pm - IP Logged

Anyone who would win a jackpot and then kvetch becuase they won via a quick pick and says "it would have been so much more rewarding had it been numbers I picked myself that won it" has a problem far beyond lotto or gambling.

Those who run the lotteries love it when players look for consistency in something that's designed not to have any.

Lep

There is one and only one 'proven' system, and that is to book the action. No matter the game, let the players pick their own losers.

jarasan's avatar - new patrick.gif
            Harbinger
            D.C./MD.
            United States
            Member #44103
            July 30, 2006
            5583 Posts
            Posted: April 10, 2007, 6:44 pm - IP Logged

Anyone who would win a jackpot and then kvetch becuase they won via a quick pick and says "it would have been so much more rewarding had it been numbers I picked myself that won it" has a problem far beyond lotto or gambling.

I admit I play QPs., occasionally, still, when the pots get huge I'll add a couple here and there the days before the draw.  I would not kvetch from the UNLIKELY event that one of those QPs hit large, I would be a schmuck if I did.  I would eat some crow, maybe one or two,  and chalk it up to pure unadulterated luck, fall into the 70% QP winners.  I might even change my name to Quickpicque Ole'. LOL quickpique.

United States
              Member #16612
              June 2, 2005
              3493 Posts
              Posted: April 10, 2007, 7:27 pm - IP Logged

Yes is my vote. I do care about the price per game.

justxploring's avatar - villiarna
                Wandering Aimlessly
                United States
                Member #25360
                November 5, 2005
                4461 Posts
                Posted: April 10, 2007, 7:50 pm - IP Logged

A man once told me "I wouldn't want to win the lottery. I'd give the money back, since I believe in earning it the old fashioned way. That's the way I was raised."   Of course, I assume he doesn't buy lottery tickets (unless he's a closet lottery player.)

MegaWinner's avatar - Lottery-029.jpg
                  New Jersey
                  United States
                  Member #50273
                  March 3, 2007
                  348 Posts
                  Posted: April 11, 2007, 1:48 am - IP Logged

A man once told me "I wouldn't want to win the lottery. I'd give the money back, since I believe in earning it the old fashioned way. That's the way I was raised."   Of course, I assume he doesn't buy lottery tickets (unless he's a closet lottery player.)

Thats just crazy.  I mean, I am not knocking his beliefs but wow.  There is no way i'd give the money back nor do I want to be a slave, ...errr, I mean work for the rest of my life.

Sun Smiley I got my fingers crossed ready to win!!! Sun Smiley

Coin Toss's avatar - shape barbed.jpg
                    Zeta Reticuli Star System
                    United States
                    Member #30470
                    January 17, 2006
                    10351 Posts
                    Posted: April 17, 2007, 9:01 am - IP Logged

I think that for who would say they'd give a lottery jackpot back, if they actually were faced with winning one, would develop a Jekkyl and Hyde persona on the spot.

"Hey, you said if that ever happened you'd give it back."

"Well yeah, but I never thought I'd really win one, this is different." 

You know that old saying about, "Money talks." Believe me, it does much more than that, it screams.  

Those who run the lotteries love it when players look for consistency in something that's designed not to have any.

Lep

There is one and only one 'proven' system, and that is to book the action. No matter the game, let the players pick their own losers.

pigsNtrees's avatar - pigsNtrees
                      Mallorn trees of Lothlorien
                      United States
                      Member #26084
                      November 14, 2005
                      199 Posts
                      Posted: April 17, 2007, 2:20 pm - IP Logged

Earning a large sum of money "the old fashion way" normally means you inherited it or robbed a bank.Wink

Quando Porca Volare!

drunk hobbit