Welcome Guest
You last visited December 9, 2016, 6:13 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Who is the first person you would tell after you win?

Topic closed. 25 replies. Last post 10 years ago by Elizabeth03.

Page 1 of 2
PrintE-mailLink
tnlotto1's avatar - logo
nashville
United States
Member #49896
February 18, 2007
1181 Posts
Posted: April 6, 2007, 1:27 am - IP Logged

BananaI would want to tell my ex girlfriend first but I would probably call my mom and tell her first. im sure my neighbors would hear me yelling and jumping around next door so they would technically hear me first,ha ha.LOL

LOTTOMIKE's avatar - cash money.jpg
    Tennessee
    United States
    Member #7853
    October 15, 2004
    11338 Posts
    Posted: April 6, 2007, 1:46 am - IP Logged

i would probably keep it a secret for a while to keep everyone from bugging me to death.my brother lives in arizona and he has been with fed ex 20 years so i'd probably tell him first because he is pretty set money wise and he can keep a secret too so probably my brother.

MegaWinner's avatar - Lottery-029.jpg
      New Jersey
      United States
      Member #50273
      March 3, 2007
      348 Posts
      Posted: April 6, 2007, 2:23 am - IP Logged

Wife.  Family wouldn't find out for months after I've won and worked out all my share details.

Sun Smiley I got my fingers crossed ready to win!!! Sun Smiley

KyMystikal's avatar - 1457224010054
        Florence, Alabama
        United States
        Member #8658
        November 13, 2004
        1993 Posts
        Posted: April 6, 2007, 3:03 am - IP Logged

I think I would tell my wife 1st but it wouldn't be for a couple of days before I told her, then my mom.

I love doubles and remember, it's just a game!!!!!!

tntea's avatar - Lottery-059.jpg

United States
          Member #5344
          June 30, 2004
          23641 Posts
          Posted: April 6, 2007, 9:40 am - IP Logged

I would show my hubby...  I would be speechless... So showing would be the only thing I could do..

OLD/Vtrac   Lottery Bible         Double Warnings      Thumbs Up TN F34/F44

stephi's avatar - winifrid
            rural lowcountry, south carolina
            United States
            Member #31677
            February 2, 2006
            196 Posts
            Posted: April 6, 2007, 9:53 am - IP Logged

my two cats.

tntea's avatar - Lottery-059.jpg

United States
              Member #5344
              June 30, 2004
              23641 Posts
              Posted: April 6, 2007, 9:54 am - IP Logged

my two cats.

I bet they are not talking...

OLD/Vtrac   Lottery Bible         Double Warnings      Thumbs Up TN F34/F44

Miss Bee's avatar - strawberry
                nashville
                United States
                Member #4990
                June 8, 2004
                1376 Posts
                Posted: April 6, 2007, 10:20 am - IP Logged

My cousin who is my best friend.

I would call her right away.

OldSchoolPa's avatar - Lottery-057.jpg
                  Gurnee, Illinois
                  United States
                  Member #49731
                  February 12, 2007
                  917 Posts
                  Posted: April 6, 2007, 10:25 am - IP Logged

The first and only person I would tell personally would be my big brother.  Although I am not caught up on the whole anonymity thing, I might elect to provide minimal media publicity at the lottery headquarters (i.e. print media and a few photos are fine, but no television interviews).  That way, for the most part, my business remains my business.  No need to jump and yell...so my neighbors won't know I won.  All they will know is that I would be driving a Bentley and a Maserati...it's none of their business how I have the means to do so.  If anybody asked me specifically, I would just say that business is very good!  And they already know that I work in the financial services sector.  Now if someone has been working at the local grocery store making just above minimum wage or in a cubicle in corporate america making whatever they are willing to pay you, then you might not come across as believable...I don't know of anyone working a salaried non bonusable corporate job taking their wages to buy a Bentley...come on, it's a $200K car.  But someone in sales who gets a huge bonus (hello fellow financial service workers and real estate agents who earn money based on commissions and bonuses!) might be inclined to plunk a quarter of their income down on a nice luxury car.

Get MONEY!!! Winning a JACKPOT lottery is all the HOPE and CHANGE I desire!!!  NOW give me MONEY!US Flag

The guy who won the presidency in 2008 really won the lottery...he is now millions richer, travels in first class style, and even has a staff that would be the envy of the richest Powerball winner (she has a staff of 2). Every night he goes to sleep, he probably plays the close of Dave Chappelle's Show: I'm rich beyatch!

guesser's avatar - Lottery-017.jpg

United States
                    Member #41383
                    June 16, 2006
                    1969 Posts
                    Posted: April 6, 2007, 10:34 am - IP Logged

I'll be a smart-butt and say:  my divorce attorney.

Seriously, I'd tell my wife, and I wouldn't have to tell anyone else because she would tell everyone she knows.

OldSchool:

I've found honesty and truthfulness is always the best policy.

Why ?

Because nobody would believe it anyway.

Besides, I'd just tell them I bought MSFT at the IPO, and finally sold last week. (which IS half-true) 

OldSchoolPa's avatar - Lottery-057.jpg
                      Gurnee, Illinois
                      United States
                      Member #49731
                      February 12, 2007
                      917 Posts
                      Posted: April 6, 2007, 10:55 am - IP Logged

OldSchool:

I've found honesty and truthfulness is always the best policy.

Why ?

Because nobody would believe it anyway.

Actually, if I were to win and subsequently told people that "business has been very good" that would be totally the truth.  You must not be aware of how much money people make when they work with wealthy individuals and companies.  Maybe you are, but just not in the arena where Goldman Sach like bonuses are flowing your way.  But in any event, I only operate based on the highest levels of integrity and honesty...that being said, I also know that there are just some things that you don't HAVE to tell people and still be an honest person.  I learned that first hand from being a commissioned military officer. 

As for them believing it, the Bentley will just have to speak for itself.  NOTE:  If you wanted to lease a Bentley and you live in a $200K house, your monthly payments on your Bentley will be much more than the mortgage payment on your house.  So I would not care if they did not believe me.  But if they are truly observant and see that I am having major renovation work done on my house, that I leave my house dressed to the nines in a suit, cuff links, Italian shoes, and the latest in technological communications, and that my wife is also driving a very nice car (she likes the Volvo XC90), it really doesn't matter what my neighbors think or believe.

The question is could I go out and buy a Bentley today?  I wouldn't be comfortable doing that at this time, but it is not out of the realm of possibility for me.  Like I said, if someone was just making a bit over minimum wage or even just $20 an hour, yes this would perhaps be out of their realm of possibility.  But for someone who makes on average $200 an hour, no it is not.  This is why I love commission-based sales...100% commission that is.

Get MONEY!!! Winning a JACKPOT lottery is all the HOPE and CHANGE I desire!!!  NOW give me MONEY!US Flag

The guy who won the presidency in 2008 really won the lottery...he is now millions richer, travels in first class style, and even has a staff that would be the envy of the richest Powerball winner (she has a staff of 2). Every night he goes to sleep, he probably plays the close of Dave Chappelle's Show: I'm rich beyatch!

LuckyLilly's avatar - savy chick.png

United States
                        Member #50124
                        February 26, 2007
                        601 Posts
                        Posted: April 6, 2007, 11:06 am - IP Logged

Here's another vote for telling the 2 cats first.

Second for me would be tax attorney

Third probably another attorney

I don't have family and would never tell my relatives.  I'm convinced there's a way to remain anonymous here, and if so, I probably wouldn't tell friends either but there's a possibility I'd tell my closest friend.  He won't ask for money (I don't think) and can keep his mouth shut.  If others asked how I can afford to live in nice homes etc. I'd just say I made some good investments.  And that is the truth. 

four4me's avatar - gate1
                          MD
                          United States
                          Member #1701
                          June 18, 2003
                          8363 Posts
                          Posted: April 6, 2007, 11:26 am - IP Logged

The first person i would tell would probably be my attorney and i would ask him to also keep it confident. I probably wouldn't tell the wife and kids until after we were in a penthouse suite at the Hyatt regency hotel. Hopefully the place where i buy my tickets wouldn't start blabbering about my win. Since wherever you bought your tickets might have cameras you might want to have your lawyer call them and get them to sign an affidavit not to release your name likeness or other personal info.

I live in the city so spreading the word around about winning a big pot would not be a good idea. Hence i would be far away from here. After i work out all the details with my attorney and claim the ticket thru a trust, get my first deposit and settle into a new residence i may contact a few family members and hook them up.

Depending on where you live you should think long and hard about whom you would tell about winning.

Sunny California
                            United States
                            Member #40295
                            May 31, 2006
                            7712 Posts
                            Posted: April 6, 2007, 11:29 am - IP Logged

My sister,most definitely!

justxploring's avatar - villiarna
                              Wandering Aimlessly
                              United States
                              Member #25360
                              November 5, 2005
                              4461 Posts
                              Posted: April 6, 2007, 11:34 am - IP Logged

i would probably keep it a secret for a while to keep everyone from bugging me to death.my brother lives in arizona and he has been with fed ex 20 years so i'd probably tell him first because he is pretty set money wise and he can keep a secret too so probably my brother.

You would keep it a secret from your wife???

The first person I would call would be my landlord to give notice.  LOL  I definitely would not tell him I won, just that I need to relocate.  The first person I always think I'd call is one of my sisters, since I plan on giving her money anyway.  I'm just not sure how she would react and I wouldn't want to put her in a difficult position of "keeping a big secret" from the family, so I might wait until I got settled, contacted a lawyer and set up a trust.  My first reaction after looking at the winning numbers would be to pick up the phone right away, but I think it's best to chill out and wait a few days before spilling the beans.  A lot depends on the amount of the jackpot too.