Welcome Guest
You last visited January 18, 2017, 12:48 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Why don't WAWA stores sell lottery tickets?

Topic closed. 30 replies. Last post 10 years ago by pacattack05.

Page 1 of 3
PrintE-mailLink
MegaWinner's avatar - Lottery-029.jpg
New Jersey
United States
Member #50273
March 3, 2007
348 Posts
Posted: April 11, 2007, 12:53 pm - IP Logged

I don't understand.  In the Northeast, there is a WAWA (equivalent to 7-11 but with gas stations) almost every 5 miles.  I've always wondered why they don't have green machines.  Anyone know why?  I suppose I could just call myself but I have to do some other things first.  In the mean time, anyone care to answer?

Sun Smiley I got my fingers crossed ready to win!!! Sun Smiley

New Jersey
    United States
    Member #50273
    March 3, 2007
    348 Posts
    Posted: April 25, 2007, 5:16 pm - IP Logged

I did call and they said in so many words that lottery players get in the way of their "regular" players.  They said that theywant people to come to WAWA to buy WAWA products, not the lottery.

They said people were coming in just to play the lottery and thats it.

I told them that was a stupid move to take the lottery out and that is why I hardly go to their stores anymore. 

United States
      Member #17555
      June 22, 2005
      5582 Posts
      Posted: April 25, 2007, 5:41 pm - IP Logged

For many years here in Southwest Florida, Mobil gas stations didn't have any lottery machines, and all of a sudden, about a year ago they decided to start them. I never asked them why, but I figure it wasn't worth the trouble considering they only make about 8 cents on the dollar.

Most franchises that open up for the first time, even a major chain brand, have to first sell a certain amount of scratch-offs to pay for the machine.

Are these stores new, or have they been around for a while?

United States
        Member #1826
        July 11, 2003
        2645 Posts
        Posted: April 25, 2007, 5:57 pm - IP Logged

Ugh, I hear you loud and clear. There's a Wawa not too far from here, and a lot of times that's the only store I can get to. It really is BS that they don't sell lottery, whatever happened to "The customer is always right?"

(insert signature here)

United States
          Member #17555
          June 22, 2005
          5582 Posts
          Posted: April 25, 2007, 5:59 pm - IP Logged

With a name like BOW WOW WOW.....

ToJo76*'s avatar - lottolion2
            Middle GA
            United States
            Member #42874
            July 9, 2006
            3912 Posts
            Posted: April 25, 2007, 6:14 pm - IP Logged

For many years here in Southwest Florida, Mobil gas stations didn't have any lottery machines, and all of a sudden, about a year ago they decided to start them. I never asked them why, but I figure it wasn't worth the trouble considering they only make about 8 cents on the dollar.

Most franchises that open up for the first time, even a major chain brand, have to first sell a certain amount of scratch-offs to pay for the machine.

These stores are nowhere near new! They've been around forever.  Once I got old enough to play lottery, that was one of the first places I went.  I was super shocked that it wasn't available.

Happily embracing my abundance daily! Big Smile

Kentucky
              United States
              Member #32652
              February 14, 2006
              7341 Posts
              Posted: April 25, 2007, 8:41 pm - IP Logged

I did call and they said in so many words that lottery players get in the way of their "regular" players.  They said that theywant people to come to WAWA to buy WAWA products, not the lottery.

I told them that was a stupid move to take the lottery out and that is why I hardly go to their stores anymore. 

It depends on the state's conditions and requirement but it looks like WAWA was unable to meet them; maybe because WAWA didn't want to properly teach their clerks how to run a lottery terminal. From a player's view, gas stations are probably the best place to buy lottery tickets but probably the worst place to cash in winning tickets. I'm not putting the blame solely on the clerks because confusing store policies and player ignorance contributes too.

The other night I saw a sign next to the lottery terminal at a gas station mini-mart saying they would no longer cash lottery tickets over $100 and was told by the clerk it's because they routinely drop money into the safe and don't have much over $100 in their cash registers. Though I know better, I still had ask the clerk about winners over $100 but under $599 and was told they would either have to wait until the manager came in or go to the regional office. This of course contradicts Ohio Lottery's conditions and requirements of sales agents so that store will either find a way to cash tickets under $599 or might decide to stop selling lottery tickets.

We have drive-thru stores that sell lottery tickets and I have no idea how they cash tickets.

New Jersey
                United States
                Member #50273
                March 3, 2007
                348 Posts
                Posted: April 25, 2007, 8:46 pm - IP Logged

It depends on the state's conditions and requirement but it looks like WAWA was unable to meet them; maybe because WAWA didn't want to properly teach their clerks how to run a lottery terminal. From a player's view, gas stations are probably the best place to buy lottery tickets but probably the worst place to cash in winning tickets. I'm not putting the blame solely on the clerks because confusing store policies and player ignorance contributes too.

The other night I saw a sign next to the lottery terminal at a gas station mini-mart saying they would no longer cash lottery tickets over $100 and was told by the clerk it's because they routinely drop money into the safe and don't have much over $100 in their cash registers. Though I know better, I still had ask the clerk about winners over $100 but under $599 and was told they would either have to wait until the manager came in or go to the regional office. This of course contradicts Ohio Lottery's conditions and requirements of sales agents so that store will either find a way to cash tickets under $599 or might decide to stop selling lottery tickets.

We have drive-thru stores that sell lottery tickets and I have no idea how they cash tickets.

I hear you but when I was 16, I used to work at WAWA.  There is ALWAYS at least a clerk, and a manager on duty.  The MOD should be able to handle stuff like that if the clerk doesn't.  Also, this doesn't stop 7/11 or any other store from selling tickets.  I honestly think their excuse is pretty lame.

Todd's avatar - Cylon 2.gif
                  Chief Bottle Washer
                  New Jersey
                  United States
                  Member #1
                  May 31, 2000
                  23348 Posts
                  Posted: April 26, 2007, 11:31 am - IP Logged

That is really interesting, thank you for finding that out and posting it!

That answer they gave you seems a bit strange, as lottery green machines just add more profit for stores, and actually bring lots of NEW customers to the store, who then go on to buy other things, like milk, Coke, etc.  That's why the convenience store lobby groups are so opposed to online lottery sales -- they would lose a lot of customer traffic.

Check the State Lottery Report Card
                  What grade did your lottery earn?

Sign the Petition for True Lottery Drawings
                  Help eliminate computerized drawings!

four4me's avatar - gate1
                    MD
                    United States
                    Member #1701
                    June 18, 2003
                    8392 Posts
                    Posted: April 26, 2007, 11:50 am - IP Logged

If you live in Ohio you can cash tickets at a bank why bother to go some place that might not have the cash.

Big John says. You don't hit the number. The number hits you!!!!

I'm not Big John, I'm Four4me, Big John's a friend.
                      RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
                      mid-Ohio
                      United States
                      Member #9
                      March 24, 2001
                      19895 Posts
                      Posted: April 26, 2007, 1:13 pm - IP Logged
                      If you live in Ohio you can cash tickets at a bank why bother to go some place that might not have the cash.

You can't cash a regular lottery ticket at an Ohio bank.  Your winning ticket of $600 or more have to be verified by a retailer who  will print out a verification ticket and give you an application for a W-G tax form which has to be filled in and taken to an approved bank to get cash.  The bank charges a $10-$15 fee for their service.

*Ohio Wal-Mart stores don't sell lottery tickets either but similar stores like Miejers do. 

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning ticket * 

Evil Looking       

justxploring's avatar - villiarna
                        Wandering Aimlessly
                        United States
                        Member #25360
                        November 5, 2005
                        4461 Posts
                        Posted: April 26, 2007, 1:46 pm - IP Logged

You noticed that too, huh?  I wonder if the station on 41 is company owned or franchised.  The gas station on the Beach Rd was a Mobil at one time (now a BP/Amoco) and it was owned by the same man who owns 2 other stations in Naples. (the ones with the free air pumps that say to air is human)  They are also no longer Mobil stations. Anyway, none of those stations sold lottery tickets so it might be up to the franchise owner (?????)

four4me's avatar - gate1
                          MD
                          United States
                          Member #1701
                          June 18, 2003
                          8392 Posts
                          Posted: April 26, 2007, 2:24 pm - IP Logged

You can't cash a regular lottery ticket at an Ohio bank.  Your winning ticket of $600 or more have to be verified by a retailer who  will print out a verification ticket and give you an application for a W-G tax form which has to be filled in and taken to an approved bank to get cash.  The bank charges a $10-$15 fee for their service.

*Ohio Wal-Mart stores don't sell lottery tickets either but similar stores like Miejers do. 

sorry! my bad! thanks for clearing that up.

Kentucky
                            United States
                            Member #32652
                            February 14, 2006
                            7341 Posts
                            Posted: April 26, 2007, 10:01 pm - IP Logged

As RJ explained, lottery retailers cash tickets less than $599. When you hit the Pick-4 straight a lottery retailer will fill out a W2 form along with a voucher from the lottery terminal that you take to a designated bank. The form must be notarized and the bank I went to provided that service.

Ohio has a backup bet that includes straight and box so you don't want to use that if the winning amount exceeds $599 or you will have to pay taxes on it. I was told you don't have to pay taxes on multiple bets on the same number on one ticket but to be safe, I get separate tickets. The bet slips have an option to play up 5 numbers, straight, boxed or backup for $1.00 or 50 cents up to 10 times (10 separate tickets).

I play the Pick-3 straight multiple times and the clerks have never told me they could not pay off if it hits, but I don't expect a mini-mart or a drive-thru to have $2500 - $5000 or even $500 for one ticket. If you want to create a long line at a gas station mini-mart, just hand the clerk a winning Pick-3 straight ticket and watch them run it through the terminal without asking if they have enough money to pay. There is a Mom and Pop store that does a large lottery volume near me and if they don't have enough cash on hand, they will go next door to the bank during business hours.

Kentucky
                              United States
                              Member #32652
                              February 14, 2006
                              7341 Posts
                              Posted: April 26, 2007, 10:07 pm - IP Logged

I hear you but when I was 16, I used to work at WAWA.  There is ALWAYS at least a clerk, and a manager on duty.  The MOD should be able to handle stuff like that if the clerk doesn't.  Also, this doesn't stop 7/11 or any other store from selling tickets.  I honestly think their excuse is pretty lame.

I'm betting it's a corporate problem because probably all the gas station mini-mart chains in Ohio sell lottery tickets.