Welcome Guest
You last visited December 7, 2016, 5:07 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Why don't WAWA stores sell lottery tickets?

Topic closed. 30 replies. Last post 10 years ago by pacattack05.

Page 2 of 3
PrintE-mailLink

United States
Member #17555
June 22, 2005
5582 Posts
Posted: April 26, 2007, 10:20 pm - IP Logged

You noticed that too, huh?  I wonder if the station on 41 is company owned or franchised.  The gas station on the Beach Rd was a Mobil at one time (now a BP/Amoco) and it was owned by the same man who owns 2 other stations in Naples. (the ones with the free air pumps that say to air is human)  They are also no longer Mobil stations. Anyway, none of those stations sold lottery tickets so it might be up to the franchise owner (?????)

I keep forgetting that Mobil is now BP. Duh!!!! It's like the turn of the new year, I keep writing 2006 in 2007,,,LOL ( Not anymore, but in the beginning..LOL)

I think all of the mobils changed at once, but I'm not sure. Meaning within a 500 mile radius, or the nation????

If you've ever been in the bathroom of the one on BB road, west of 41, you'll see a sign put up that says " Smile...make everyone wonder what you're up to". I love that phrase...LOL

I've used that phrase a few times when appropriate.

I've also seen signs as witty as the previous, except they were in mom and pop pizzarias stores, where both males and females shared the same bathroom. It says.." Gentlemen, stand closer...it's shorter than you think"...Ladies...I forget what the one for ladies says. But it was very good too. If I remember, I'll post it...Yeah right...like anyones gonna remember this post a month from now...LOL 

TheGameGrl's avatar - character catafly.jpg
    A long and winding road
    United States
    Member #17084
    June 10, 2005
    4526 Posts
    Posted: April 26, 2007, 10:26 pm - IP Logged

What if I were to tell some of ya folks that there are actually companies that survive by maintaining a regional philosophy that "gaming" goes against their corporate values. Wawa's happens to be one of them. They do not contribute to the gambling community and are advocates to remain clear of such a label. Just as McDonalds will never sell alcohol or get a liquor license simply to draw in more customers. Its a business ethics decisions and one that hasnt hindered their overall sales. Each company has a right to establish certain values and although I am a lottery player I can certainly respect the rights of a business to not participate. I still stop in at Wawa's for fresh caffeine(err ummm coffee)-which I shutter to think *IS* a drug that is well accepted in america.

~~Is it true, Is it kind,Is it necessary. ~~~

Thanks be to the giving numbers: 1621,912,119 02014

United States
      Member #17555
      June 22, 2005
      5582 Posts
      Posted: April 26, 2007, 10:44 pm - IP Logged

By the way...I'm surprised no one mentioned the fact that you can go to any supermarket that sells tix, and they always have cash on hand.

United States
        Member #17555
        June 22, 2005
        5582 Posts
        Posted: April 26, 2007, 10:46 pm - IP Logged

What if I were to tell some of ya folks that there are actually companies that survive by maintaining a regional philosophy that "gaming" goes against their corporate values. Wawa's happens to be one of them. They do not contribute to the gambling community and are advocates to remain clear of such a label. Just as McDonalds will never sell alcohol or get a liquor license simply to draw in more customers. Its a business ethics decisions and one that hasnt hindered their overall sales. Each company has a right to establish certain values and although I am a lottery player I can certainly respect the rights of a business to not participate. I still stop in at Wawa's for fresh caffeine(err ummm coffee)-which I shutter to think *IS* a drug that is well accepted in america.

I wonder if they sell beer and cigarettes.

MegaWinner's avatar - Lottery-029.jpg
          New Jersey
          United States
          Member #50273
          March 3, 2007
          348 Posts
          Posted: April 27, 2007, 12:38 am - IP Logged

By the way...I'm surprised no one mentioned the fact that you can go to any supermarket that sells tix, and they always have cash on hand.

I buy tickets from ACME, Shoprite, Pathmark, and WEGMAN'S all the time.  I think Genaurdi's sells tickets too.

Sun Smiley I got my fingers crossed ready to win!!! Sun Smiley

NY
            United States
            Member #23835
            October 16, 2005
            3474 Posts
            Posted: April 27, 2007, 2:42 am - IP Logged

I hear you but when I was 16, I used to work at WAWA.  There is ALWAYS at least a clerk, and a manager on duty.  The MOD should be able to handle stuff like that if the clerk doesn't.  Also, this doesn't stop 7/11 or any other store from selling tickets.  I honestly think their excuse is pretty lame.

A manager on duty may have access to a safe with a bit of change, but unless each manager is responsible for making a bank deposit during their shift there's no reason for all managers to have access to the drop safe. I can't think of anything besides paying lottery tikets that would require having much cash available,and most stores won't see big payouts very often.

justxploring's avatar - villiarna
              Wandering Aimlessly
              United States
              Member #25360
              November 5, 2005
              4461 Posts
              Posted: April 27, 2007, 3:57 am - IP Logged

Pac writes: I keep forgetting that Mobil is now BP. Duh!!!! It's like the turn of the new year, I keep writing 2006 in 2007,,,LOL ( Not anymore, but in the beginning..LOL)

I think all of the mobils changed at once, but I'm not sure. Meaning within a 500 mile radius, or the nation????

No, Pac.  I don't think there was a change in Florida, just the local owner.  Mobil merged with Exxon a few years ago, although their stations still have the Mobil signs. Then British Petroleum (BP) merged with Amoco. You'll see the green BP sign but the pumps say Amoco on them. The proprietor of the Mobil stations I mentioned must have just change suppliers.

GameGrl makes an excellent point, but your question about the sale of cigarettes is interesting too.

(BTW,  to the best of my recollection I never used the restroom at the station you mentioned, although I've stopped for gas hundreds of times and gotten service too.)

Wandering Aimlessly
                United States
                Member #25360
                November 5, 2005
                4461 Posts
                Posted: April 27, 2007, 4:34 am - IP Logged

I have to agree with this statement.  In some cases, stores are hypocritical but they still should be able to uphold what they consider to be their corporate values and image.

jarasan's avatar - new patrick.gif
                  Harbinger
                  D.C./MD.
                  United States
                  Member #44103
                  July 30, 2006
                  5583 Posts
                  Posted: April 27, 2007, 9:34 am - IP Logged

I think I am addicted to International Delight hazelnut creamer in my coffee. I looked at the label recently and it says 0 grams trans fat, yet it has palm oil in it.  Each tablespoon has 45 cals. so each bottle is 2880 cals. I gotta quit this stuff. Coffee used to taste just fine with a little milk,  but these chain coffees needed a little help to smooth them out and I think that is where I got hooked on the hazelnut creamer.  I know I can quit but it is going to be tough, I need caffeine one way or another.

jarasan

Wandering Aimlessly
                    United States
                    Member #25360
                    November 5, 2005
                    4461 Posts
                    Posted: April 27, 2007, 10:08 am - IP Logged

I like to read "nutritional facts" on the label.  Too bad they don't show comparisons.

1 tablespoon of Intl Del hazelnut creamer has 0 grams of trans fat

A cup of lowfat milk (per the bottle I have in front of me) contains 0g trans fat

A tablespoon of Int Del hazelnut creamer has 2 grams of fat

A cup of grade A lowfat milk (1%) contains total fat = 2.5g

It's sort of like a box of cereal saying "no plutonium"

You can look on every box of cereal and none of them contain plutonium. 

By the way, I love hazelnut creamers too!  My latest addiction is Pillsbury toaster strudels.  OMG! 1 pastry has 9g of fat (1g trans fat) and I just ate 2 of them.  So 2 cups of coffee with hazelnut creamer and 2 toaster strudels = how many clogged arteries?

United States
                      Member #17555
                      June 22, 2005
                      5582 Posts
                      Posted: April 27, 2007, 10:15 am - IP Logged

I think I am addicted to International Delight hazelnut creamer in my coffee. I looked at the label recently and it says 0 grams trans fat, yet it has palm oil in it.  Each tablespoon has 45 cals. so each bottle is 2880 cals. I gotta quit this stuff. Coffee used to taste just fine with a little milk,  but these chain coffees needed a little help to smooth them out and I think that is where I got hooked on the hazelnut creamer.  I know I can quit but it is going to be tough, I need caffeine one way or another.

jarasan

May I ask what this has to do with stores not selling tix?....LOL

I love Hazelnut too, but....What?

I actually like Basmati rice better....

Harbinger
                        D.C./MD.
                        United States
                        Member #44103
                        July 30, 2006
                        5583 Posts
                        Posted: April 27, 2007, 10:28 am - IP Logged

I like to read "nutritional facts" on the label.  Too bad they don't show comparisons.

1 tablespoon of Intl Del hazelnut creamer has 0 grams of trans fat

A cup of lowfat milk (per the bottle I have in front of me) contains 0g trans fat

A tablespoon of Int Del hazelnut creamer has 2 grams of fat

A cup of grade A lowfat milk (1%) contains total fat = 2.5g

It's sort of like a box of cereal saying "no plutonium"

You can look on every box of cereal and none of them contain plutonium. 

By the way, I love hazelnut creamers too!  My latest addiction is Pillsbury toaster strudels.  OMG! 1 pastry has 9g of fat (1g trans fat) and I just ate 2 of them.  So 2 cups of coffee with hazelnut creamer and 2 toaster strudels = how many clogged arteries?

No, they don't.  I just thought that trans. fat was the bad one,  but from prior reading and having heard that movie popcorn used palm oil to pop it was like eating glue for your arteries.  So I figure you are right it, is a bait and switch, a red-herring, the way they sell this delicious stuff.  So in my attempt to quit the hazel creamer I am trying hazelnut flavored coffee, it is not even close to the deliciousness of Intl. Del. creamer. Oh well. jarasan

Wandering Aimlessly
                          United States
                          Member #25360
                          November 5, 2005
                          4461 Posts
                          Posted: April 27, 2007, 10:35 am - IP Logged

Don't worry about it.  That's the way I feel about mayonnaise.  I cannot stomach the substitutes and I only cook with real butter. You might live on no fat/no sugar/no cholesterol everything and get hit by a falling meteorite.

By the way, since Pac insists we stick to the subject, Winknone of the Fresh Markets sell lottery tickets, at least here in Florida. 

Harbinger
                            D.C./MD.
                            United States
                            Member #44103
                            July 30, 2006
                            5583 Posts
                            Posted: April 27, 2007, 10:35 am - IP Logged

May I ask what this has to do with stores not selling tix?....LOL

I love Hazelnut too, but....What?

I actually like Basmati rice better....

The fact that they sell highly addictive stuff yet they won't sell lottery tickets because it is deemed morally offensive.  The hypocrisy of these merchants, the thread took a turn to caffeine and creamer So sorry. The closest WAWA to me is over thirty miles away in any direction, cause they don't open stores where the rent or property values are high and it takes away from their allmighty profit margin.  jarasan

P.S. Basmati rice in coffee? 

Harbinger
                              D.C./MD.
                              United States
                              Member #44103
                              July 30, 2006
                              5583 Posts
                              Posted: April 27, 2007, 10:38 am - IP Logged

Don't worry about it.  That's the way I feel about mayonnaise.  I cannot stomach the substitutes and I only cook with real butter. You might live on no fat/no sugar/no cholesterol everything and get hit by a falling meteorite.

By the way, since Pac insists we stick to the subject, Winknone of the Fresh Markets sell lottery tickets, at least here in Florida. 

Thanks. You are right. jarasan