Welcome Guest
You last visited December 4, 2016, 3:06 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

What is the latest you can buy PB & MM tickets near you?

Topic closed. 22 replies. Last post 10 years ago by Mikelos.

Page 1 of 2
PrintE-mailLink

What is the latest time you can buy lottery tickets near you?

All the way up til' 10:45 pm est [ 14 ]  [40.00%]
Up until 10 pm est [ 14 ]  [40.00%]
Up until 9 pm est [ 6 ]  [17.14%]
Up until 8 pm est [ 0 ]  [0.00%]
Up until 7:30 pm est at the latest [ 1 ]  [2.86%]
Total Valid Votes [ 35 ]  
Discarded Votes [ 2 ]  
MegaWinner's avatar - Lottery-029.jpg
New Jersey
United States
Member #50273
March 3, 2007
348 Posts
Posted: April 11, 2007, 12:58 pm - IP Logged

The closest stores near me stop selling lottery tickets at 9 pm est.  One stops at 7:30 (ACME supermarket), and a magazine shop stops at 9pm est.  I could travel 20 minutes to a store that stops at 10:45 but thats a little out of the way.

What about you guys?  Does it bother you that some stores stop selling tickets so early? 

Sun Smiley I got my fingers crossed ready to win!!! Sun Smiley

LuckyLilly's avatar - savy chick.png

United States
    Member #50124
    February 26, 2007
    601 Posts
    Posted: April 11, 2007, 1:41 pm - IP Logged

You can buy PB here up till 10pm my time (12 EST) each night except drawing nights (Wed and Sat) and Sunday.  Then you can only buy them till 8pm (10 EST).  That doesn't bother me.  But it does bother me that some clerks take it upon themselves to close out the machine early, I guess to balance them out before shift change.  There was one who used to close it 1/2 hour early so I just quit buying my tickets there.

New Jersey
      United States
      Member #50273
      March 3, 2007
      348 Posts
      Posted: April 11, 2007, 1:58 pm - IP Logged

You can buy PB here up till 10pm my time (12 EST) each night except drawing nights (Wed and Sat) and Sunday.  Then you can only buy them till 8pm (10 EST).  That doesn't bother me.  But it does bother me that some clerks take it upon themselves to close out the machine early, I guess to balance them out before shift change.  There was one who used to close it 1/2 hour early so I just quit buying my tickets there.

Yeah that is annoying.  I experienced that once with a 7-11.  They would usually close out at 9pm est then one day they just started closing "sometime between 8-9pm".  I was like what the heck?  I stopped going there.

California
        United States
        Member #46824
        October 1, 2006
        270 Posts
        Posted: April 11, 2007, 2:02 pm - IP Logged

Are you talking about day of the draw or the other days? 

As far as day of the draw for Mega Milions (Tuesday and Friday), in California you can buy tickets up until 7:45 PM, Pacific Time, which is 15 minutes before the draw. 

Not sure what time the lottery machines go off at night.  For some reason or another I think the machines are down from 12 midnight until 6 AM.  Next time I get a ticket I will ask and update accordingly.

New Jersey
          United States
          Member #50273
          March 3, 2007
          348 Posts
          Posted: April 11, 2007, 2:06 pm - IP Logged

Are you talking about day of the draw or the other days? 

As far as day of the draw for Mega Milions (Tuesday and Friday), in California you can buy tickets up until 7:45 PM, Pacific Time, which is 15 minutes before the draw. 

Not sure what time the lottery machines go off at night.  For some reason or another I think the machines are down from 12 midnight until 6 AM.  Next time I get a ticket I will ask and update accordingly.

Around here (NJ), there is one magazine shop in Atlantic City that sells MM tickets everyday up until 10:45 pm est.

amsoly41's avatar - ron paul_gold_standard.jpg
            Tennessee
            United States
            Member #24912
            October 29, 2005
            94 Posts
            Posted: April 11, 2007, 2:11 pm - IP Logged

The draw break for Powerball begins at 9:00 p.m. (CST)/ 10:00 p.m. (EST).
            1 hour before the Powerball Drawing in Tennessee.

Money can't buy you happiness... but it does bring you a more pleasant form of misery Wink

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
              mid-Ohio
              United States
              Member #9
              March 24, 2001
              19817 Posts
              Posted: April 11, 2007, 2:11 pm - IP Logged

In my area stores usually shut down their lottery terminals a half hour before closing so only the stores that are opened to midnight or later sell MM tickets up to 10:45 PM EST(15 minutes before the drawing), any tickets sold after 10:45 may be for the next drawing depending when the terminals switch over.

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning ticket * 

Evil Looking       

LOTTOMIKE's avatar - cash money.jpg
                Tennessee
                United States
                Member #7853
                October 15, 2004
                11338 Posts
                Posted: April 11, 2007, 3:20 pm - IP Logged

The draw break for Powerball begins at 9:00 p.m. (CST)/ 10:00 p.m. (EST).
                1 hour before the Powerball Drawing in Tennessee.

same here as amsoly41.....

Todd's avatar - Cylon 2.gif
                  Chief Bottle Washer
                  New Jersey
                  United States
                  Member #1
                  May 31, 2000
                  23260 Posts
                  Posted: April 11, 2007, 6:43 pm - IP Logged

<Moved to Jackpot Games forum>

Please post in the appropriate forum ... thank you.

TheGameGrl's avatar - character catafly.jpg
                    A long and winding road
                    United States
                    Member #17084
                    June 10, 2005
                    4523 Posts
                    Posted: April 11, 2007, 8:38 pm - IP Logged

Most places in my area stop at 9 pm due to running reports and cashing out for the night shift. If I use the self terminal it allows up until an hour before draw time for the Powerball.

If I do hit the maryland area for Megamillions I make sure to get my ticket before 7 pm. Depending on the store, they sometimes shut the terminals down by 8 pm.

the Delaware area for Megamillions allows til 10 pm. Sweet!

~~Is it true, Is it kind,Is it necessary. ~~~

Thanks be to the giving numbers: 1621,912,119 02014

kjs703's avatar - batman08
                      Alexandria,VA
                      United States
                      Member #51062
                      March 26, 2007
                      367 Posts
                      Posted: April 13, 2007, 1:52 pm - IP Logged

Allow me to share a short story or a real life experience….I purchase a five dollar quickpick at a 7/11 type store….My instructions were “a Five dollar quickpick for the next mega million draw”This was on Monday 2/19/2007 – I got the ticket and just glanced at the numbersBut did not look at the date of the draw.  Tuesday night after the draw it appearedI had matched one line on the MegaBall.  When I went to collect the next dayThe clerk said it was not a winner…when it was returned to me – it was the sameTicket (for it had the MegaBall) – but the draw date of 2/16/2007 – or the Previous Friday nights draw…..So it appears it is possible for one to purchase tickets for a previous drawing….Maybe this was a fluke … or an inexperienced clerk …. But I did end upWith quickpicks tickets for a drawing which already happen. So I would have to say, at least in this case …. “days after the drawing”. What?

LuckyLilly's avatar - savy chick.png

United States
                        Member #50124
                        February 26, 2007
                        601 Posts
                        Posted: April 13, 2007, 2:09 pm - IP Logged

Allow me to share a short story or a real life experience….I purchase a five dollar quickpick at a 7/11 type store….My instructions were “a Five dollar quickpick for the next mega million draw”This was on Monday 2/19/2007 – I got the ticket and just glanced at the numbersBut did not look at the date of the draw.  Tuesday night after the draw it appearedI had matched one line on the MegaBall.  When I went to collect the next dayThe clerk said it was not a winner…when it was returned to me – it was the sameTicket (for it had the MegaBall) – but the draw date of 2/16/2007 – or the Previous Friday nights draw…..So it appears it is possible for one to purchase tickets for a previous drawing….Maybe this was a fluke … or an inexperienced clerk …. But I did end upWith quickpicks tickets for a drawing which already happen. So I would have to say, at least in this case …. “days after the drawing”. What?

Did you actually see them print the ticket?  If not, I'd take it back and complain, cuz I'd bet anything this was an unsold ticket printed before the 2/16 drawing that the clerk pawned off on you.  I'd also complain to your state lottery commission.  It's unconscionable to sell customers tickets which are already known to be losers.

justxploring's avatar - villiarna
                          Wandering Aimlessly
                          United States
                          Member #25360
                          November 5, 2005
                          4461 Posts
                          Posted: April 13, 2007, 3:14 pm - IP Logged

kjs, please don't take this the wrong way, since I believe anything is possible. I simply can't imagine this happening unless you were handed an old ticket previously generated.  In other words, the clerk had some old tickets and sold them to you.  A store clerk, inexperienced or not, can't change the date of a ticket.  The terminal always prints one for the next available drawing. For example, I can't go into a store and ask for a ticket for next Wed Lotto drawing today since there is a game on Sat.  I can only do that if I pay for a 2-draw advanced play ticket.  If there's someone else on the board who can verify or dispute this, please feel free to answer, since I admit I'm no technical genius.  Are you sure you didn't have some tickets left over from the previous week and mixed them up in your pocket? 

Regarding the topic, I know from personal experience a player can buy a ticket anytime the stores still have their terminals operating, and the times vary by retailer. I don't know if there's a law about shutting them at a certain hour.  I just assumed that if a store wants to keep selling tickets, it can print them anytime. 

Doesn't every web site state when tickets can be purchased?  From the FL site:

For Lotto

"You can purchase tickets until 10:40 p.m. Eastern Time on the night of the draw. Tickets purchased after 10:40 p.m. will be for next draw."

For Cash-3

"You can purchase tickets for the current draw up to 7:47 p.m. You can claim your prizes at any retailer after the draw. "

Unless a particular area has a local regulation, my suggestion would be to call the stores you frequent to get their hours of operation, if that's important to you.  Just want to add that where I live we have so many choices, it doesn't matter to me. Within walking distance, a 7-11.  About 1 or 2 miles, a Sunoco station, Exxon/Mobil, Publix, Sweetbay, a Smoke Shop, a Liquor Store. About 3 miles away, an Albertsons, a Circle K....

***SORRY - JUST NOTICED THE TOPIC SPECIFIED PB & MM TICKETS***  and FL doesn't sell them.  Oops! 

United States
                            Member #16612
                            June 2, 2005
                            3493 Posts
                            Posted: April 15, 2007, 1:22 pm - IP Logged

My vote is near 10:45 est.

chasingadream's avatar - Archangel 01.jpg

United States
                              Member #38687
                              May 3, 2006
                              315 Posts
                              Posted: April 16, 2007, 9:02 am - IP Logged