Welcome Guest
You last visited December 11, 2016, 12:58 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Curse of the Lottery

Topic closed. 25 replies. Last post 10 years ago by amsoly41.

Page 1 of 2
PrintE-mailLink
KyMystikal's avatar - 1457224010054
Florence, Alabama
United States
Member #8658
November 13, 2004
1993 Posts
Posted: April 16, 2007, 1:39 am - IP Logged

When I woke up yesterday morning and turned on the tv this show was on. I found it very interesting talking about the ups and downs of  past lottery winners. I checked with TV Guide online and the next time it airs is Wed. April 25th at 2 pm on E!, in case anyone hasn't seen it and would like to catch it.

I love doubles and remember, it's just a game!!!!!!

MegaWinner's avatar - Lottery-029.jpg
    New Jersey
    United States
    Member #50273
    March 3, 2007
    348 Posts
    Posted: April 16, 2007, 1:52 am - IP Logged

When I woke up yesterday morning and turned on the tv this show was on. I found it very interesting talking about the ups and downs of  past lottery winners. I checked with TV Guide online and the next time it airs is Wed. April 25th at 2 pm on E!, in case anyone hasn't seen it and would like to catch it.

Thanx!  Finally, some new material for me to watch lol!

Sun Smiley I got my fingers crossed ready to win!!! Sun Smiley

United States
      Member #17555
      June 22, 2005
      5582 Posts
      Posted: April 16, 2007, 10:16 am - IP Logged

I saw it too, but weeks ago.

I didn't like the show because they continually made the effort to make the viewer feel as though this might  happen to you. Everyone is different.

I wish they had a show on all of the winners who are living their lives without problems. Wow...what a concept.

I think my anger in all this stems from repeatedly being told over and over by people who keep ranting that tired old phrase, like Mina birds, just saying what they hear without using their brain first. "Money won't buy you happiness". I just get so sick of hearing that garbage.

If someone is miserable in their daily life before they strike it rich, they'll be afterwards. If someone is not responsible with their money before....and so on....They have the biggest problem....and that is using the word "NO". Believe me, I won't have that problem.

My original quote in response to anyone who utters that stupid quote  to me is and always will be..." If I'm gonna be unhappy anyway, I m might as well be rich and unhappy than poor and unhappy. Atleast I can afford really expensive psychiatrists, and psychologists".....LOL

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
        mid-Ohio
        United States
        Member #9
        March 24, 2001
        19831 Posts
        Posted: April 16, 2007, 10:47 am - IP Logged

Maybe the show should be renamed:
        "The Curse of Being Unhappy - Even Winning A Lottery Can't Help"

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning ticket * 

Evil Looking       

United States
          Member #17555
          June 22, 2005
          5582 Posts
          Posted: April 16, 2007, 10:52 am - IP Logged

Amen to that RJOH....

spy153's avatar - maren

United States
            Member #28409
            December 15, 2005
            1198 Posts
            Posted: April 16, 2007, 11:22 am - IP Logged

LOL! pacattack I can always count on you to sum up the way I feel. I learned a few years back to say "NO." I got a settlement a few years ago. It wasn't what you would call money. Just a few thousand. It was only enough to pay off a few things and put money down on a house. But my family didn't know what I got so they started giving me every pitiful story they could come up with to try to con me out of some. They were lying. Call it a preview of what to expect when I win the Millions. Lol, they acted so sick (lie) and broke (another lie) and down on their luck (big fat lie). Cons, cons, and more cons. It was people I didn't expect too. The ones I expected to be that way didn't ask for anything and was happy for me. When they found out I had spent all of the money, things went back to normal. And when asked how things were going, they pretended they never said anything. That's how I know they were lying. Now, keep in mind. I didn't have anywhere to live when I got this money. They did. They owned their homes or their payments were more than affordable for them. But they wanted my money too and to leave me and my family out in the cold. Despite the fact that we were really broke and injured.

voir-vous dans mes reves!Cool

United States
              Member #17555
              June 22, 2005
              5582 Posts
              Posted: April 16, 2007, 11:35 am - IP Logged

LOL! pacattack I can always count on you to sum up the way I feel. I learned a few years back to say "NO." I got a settlement a few years ago. It wasn't what you would call money. Just a few thousand. It was only enough to pay off a few things and put money down on a house. But my family didn't know what I got so they started giving me every pitiful story they could come up with to try to con me out of some. They were lying. Call it a preview of what to expect when I win the Millions. Lol, they acted so sick (lie) and broke (another lie) and down on their luck (big fat lie). Cons, cons, and more cons. It was people I didn't expect too. The ones I expected to be that way didn't ask for anything and was happy for me. When they found out I had spent all of the money, things went back to normal. And when asked how things were going, they pretended they never said anything. That's how I know they were lying. Now, keep in mind. I didn't have anywhere to live when I got this money. They did. They owned their homes or their payments were more than affordable for them. But they wanted my money too and to leave me and my family out in the cold. Despite the fact that we were really broke and injured.

It goes to show you the true colors of people, even family members. I know this because my immediate family constantly puts me down for playing the lottery. But guess what....If I win millions they'd be the first to want some. They didn't spend the time and energy invoved but still want to reap what I have sowed.

It's not so much that I wouldn't take care of my family and some friends, but I would definitley make them earn it, considering the hassle they gave me prior to my winning the jackpot...if it even happens at all.

Come to thing of it...I probably wouldn't say a word to anyone, and only give them money with the stipulation that they not ask how I got it. But then again they would probably find out by going to the lottery home page...LOL

There are family members on the other side of my generation that are plenty plenty rich. They own the biggest hospital in Iran. They own the biggest school for the blind, and other things that I'm probably not aware of.

It figures...story of my life, I had to be born on the wrong side of the family....I can't even win a 50/50 bet...LOL

spy153's avatar - maren

United States
                Member #28409
                December 15, 2005
                1198 Posts
                Posted: April 16, 2007, 12:00 pm - IP Logged

It goes to show you the true colors of people, even family members. I know this because my immediate family constantly puts me down for playing the lottery. But guess what....If I win millions they'd be the first to want some. They didn't spend the time and energy invoved but still want to reap what I have sowed.

It's not so much that I wouldn't take care of my family and some friends, but I would definitley make them earn it, considering the hassle they gave me prior to my winning the jackpot...if it even happens at all.

Come to thing of it...I probably wouldn't say a word to anyone, and only give them money with the stipulation that they not ask how I got it. But then again they would probably find out by going to the lottery home page...LOL

There are family members on the other side of my generation that are plenty plenty rich. They own the biggest hospital in Iran. They own the biggest school for the blind, and other things that I'm probably not aware of.

It figures...story of my life, I had to be born on the wrong side of the family....I can't even win a 50/50 bet...LOL

ROFL there are some I would definitley take care of., but not because they conned me out of it. I have two uncles who are millionaires. I don't expect to ever see a penny of that money. They earned it. And even in hard times, all I really ask for is advice...not money.

voir-vous dans mes reves!Cool

Kidzmom's avatar - cold
                  NC
                  United States
                  Member #11741
                  February 23, 2005
                  1233 Posts
                  Posted: April 16, 2007, 12:14 pm - IP Logged

I know how you feel!  My family don't contribute any type of money to play the lottery with me, BUT they are quick to say well when you win, I know I will be taken care of...  How crazy is that...  My reply to them is always, "I will give you what you gave me to play"!  ... And get this, that statement pisses them off.  lol........like I care. lol  I am going to take care of the essentials like God, My mother,brother and husband and kids and some charities that I already contribute to .. all others need not apply.

K.

amsoly41's avatar - ron paul_gold_standard.jpg
                    Tennessee
                    United States
                    Member #24912
                    October 29, 2005
                    94 Posts
                    Posted: April 16, 2007, 12:25 pm - IP Logged

Is this the same show that was on a while back?

E! Television to air 'Curse of the Lottery' Sunday

http://www.lotterypost.com/news/141814.htm

I also found this

http://abcnews.go.com/GMA/story?id=2941589

I don’t think everyone on that show had bad luck

Some of the people had good luck

The name of the Show is a little misleading

Some were cursed while others where blessed.

Group Hug

Money can't buy you happiness... but it does bring you a more pleasant form of misery Wink

United States
                      Member #49956
                      February 21, 2007
                      57 Posts
                      Posted: April 16, 2007, 12:45 pm - IP Logged

Lottery Winners should remember the advice given to Peter Parker from his uncle: 

With great power comes great responsibility.

United States
                        Member #17555
                        June 22, 2005
                        5582 Posts
                        Posted: April 16, 2007, 12:52 pm - IP Logged

Lottery Winners should remember the advice given to Peter Parker from his uncle: 

With great power comes great responsibility.

Oh...what a tangled web we weave....

luckypunk's avatar - Lottery-013.jpg
                          hesperia ca
                          United States
                          Member #51533
                          April 13, 2007
                          44 Posts
                          Posted: April 16, 2007, 1:25 pm - IP Logged

I could not have said it better myself.  Totally agree I Agree!

tnlotto1's avatar - logo
                            nashville
                            United States
                            Member #49896
                            February 18, 2007
                            1181 Posts
                            Posted: April 16, 2007, 1:41 pm - IP Logged

I know how you feel!  My family don't contribute any type of money to play the lottery with me, BUT they are quick to say well when you win, I know I will be taken care of...  How crazy is that...  My reply to them is always, "I will give you what you gave me to play"!  ... And get this, that statement pisses them off.  lol........like I care. lol  I am going to take care of the essentials like God, My mother,brother and husband and kids and some charities that I already contribute to .. all others need not apply.

K.

i have asked my friends and family for years to form a lottery pool with me and they always decline and tell me im wasting my money. one friend actually said,"i wont give you any money to buy tickets but ill help you spend it." im sure i will bring that comment up to him after i win the lottery and if he finds out that i won and asks me for money ill refresh his memory that he chose not to add any money and he had a snide remark to follow...Mad

guesser's avatar - Lottery-017.jpg

United States
                              Member #41383
                              June 16, 2006
                              1969 Posts
                              Posted: April 17, 2007, 10:07 am - IP Logged

Nah, it should be called:

'How to blow millions, end up broke, and have a TV crew chase you around just to turn the knife, because now you are famous (or infamous)'...