Welcome Guest
You last visited December 9, 2016, 6:13 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

what would one do if they won 34 million

Topic closed. 31 replies. Last post 10 years ago by rootofallevil.

Page 2 of 3
PrintE-mailLink
va
United States
Member #51662
April 18, 2007
8 Posts
Posted: April 18, 2007, 4:25 pm - IP Logged

well i think its kind of cool i have a family member that won and no one bothers her for money not that i know so thats not a problem. hey better her winning then some stranger, my thing was why not make my parents life easy. they are such good parents and have been very giving to us. i cant see a tax problem be a reason not to do something special for them.

va
    United States
    Member #51662
    April 18, 2007
    8 Posts
    Posted: April 18, 2007, 4:26 pm - IP Logged

to bad for you lilly she wont see the message board lol

LuckyLilly's avatar - savy chick.png

United States
      Member #50124
      February 26, 2007
      601 Posts
      Posted: April 18, 2007, 4:41 pm - IP Logged

to bad for you lilly she wont see the message board lol

No, not too bad for me.  She's not my sister.  LOL

This sounds like another school project, am I wrong? 

TheMaker's avatar - Lottery-062.jpg

United States
        Member #44530
        August 5, 2006
        8439 Posts
        Posted: April 18, 2007, 5:10 pm - IP Logged

10?  That's why your id is The Maker, huh?  Big Smile

Just kidding, I'm the 5th of 10. 

U r exactlly right Toney725Green laugh

GOD BLESS EVERY ONE!!!

tntea's avatar - Lottery-059.jpg

United States
          Member #5344
          June 30, 2004
          23641 Posts
          Posted: April 18, 2007, 6:04 pm - IP Logged

Give Give Give...

Sisters... (3)

Brother (1)

Mother and Daddy...

Children (2)

Grandchildren (4)

Friends... (Wow.... lots of them... )

OLD/Vtrac   Lottery Bible         Double Warnings      Thumbs Up TN F34/F44

jarasan's avatar - new patrick.gif
            Harbinger
            D.C./MD.
            United States
            Member #44103
            July 30, 2006
            5583 Posts
            Posted: April 18, 2007, 7:34 pm - IP Logged

This thread is proof that history repeats itself, all my theories are correct!

United States
              Member #51024
              March 24, 2007
              10 Posts
              Posted: April 18, 2007, 8:33 pm - IP Logged

I like your user ID, but remember that it's the "LOVE" of money, not money itself, that is the root of all evil if you are going to quote the Bible. 

As far as whom I would give money to, it would be based on need.  I would only buy a modest home and pay off my debts and then put enough away to live a comfortable existence.  Then I would work with charitable foundations to help others, including animals.  Maybe if I felt I had the strength, I'd start my own animal retreat, like a ranch for retired horses where they could live out their golden years on an open pasture instead of standing in a barn all day.  My father doesn't need any money and my mother is deceased. 

Where did the $34 million come from?  We have polls like this all the time. They are exactly the same, only the jackpot differs.

Good  steweardship  of  the  Word Of  God ....correcting  that  subtle  error ;

Family  should  be  first  , but  often  times  its A  FAMILY  PERSON  you  moved  away- from  to  a  small  place  in  America -where  you  hit  the$ 34 million ....thats  when  family  finds  you ,  and  tell  you  how  much  they  care !!! when  you

decide too ,give  do  it  for  you  and  for  God ,  because  its  the  right  thing  to  do  not because  others  think  its  kool;

I t  will  be  to  your  blessing  in  the  end  when  your  life-here  is  over - someone  or  many  will  remember  you  as  good -people -or  glad  that  persons  no  longer  with  us !!!???"

what  ever  you  decided  to  do  with  the  34 mllion ,  be  happy

but  its  better  to  be  WISE and very  frugle  with  your  spending habits !!! Help someone ,  change  their  life  ,  even  for  a  day,might  just  go  a  long  way  to  making  this a  time  period  of  150 yrs,  something to  remember ;

Since, 1857  to  Present is this  a  perfect  world ??  NO -way;

the next  150  yrs.  could  be  different ,  but  it  would  have  to  start  ......??????  Just  remember  this  every  150 years  no  one  who  lived  then  is  alive  today .  and  every  thing  200  years  old  or more ,is  in  some  type  of  musem of  natural  history .....Let  your  34 million  change  history  for  you  and  for  others @Mail For You

Kentucky
                United States
                Member #32652
                February 14, 2006
                7318 Posts
                Posted: April 18, 2007, 9:39 pm - IP Logged

I don't wanna sound direspectful, but how many versions of these "what would you do if you had trillions?" topics can we possibly come up with?

If you do a search, I think you'll be able to read thousands of similar questions and answers. It's kind of an overkill, don't you think?

Again, sorry if I sound insensitive...

Before they started the Lottos I tried everything to hit the jackpot from rubbing lamps waiting for a genie to appear to looking for a little guy that could spin straw into gold. But after playing the lottos for many years I'm almost out of money and forced to sell my cow.

Do you think I should take the money and play Mega Millions or will my odds be better if I trade the cow for a handful of bean seeds so I can climb the bean stalk, kill the giant and steal his goose that lays golden eggs?

United States
                  Member #17555
                  June 22, 2005
                  5582 Posts
                  Posted: April 18, 2007, 9:51 pm - IP Logged

I say trade the cow, and milk the giant for everything he's got.

Then shake the goose loose, and lay the foundation for your new found wealth.

guesser's avatar - Lottery-017.jpg

United States
                    Member #41383
                    June 16, 2006
                    1969 Posts
                    Posted: April 18, 2007, 10:57 pm - IP Logged

I like your user ID, but remember that it's the "LOVE" of money, not money itself, that is the root of all evil if you are going to quote the Bible. 

As far as whom I would give money to, it would be based on need.  I would only buy a modest home and pay off my debts and then put enough away to live a comfortable existence.  Then I would work with charitable foundations to help others, including animals.  Maybe if I felt I had the strength, I'd start my own animal retreat, like a ranch for retired horses where they could live out their golden years on an open pasture instead of standing in a barn all day.  My father doesn't need any money and my mother is deceased. 

Where did the $34 million come from?  We have polls like this all the time. They are exactly the same, only the jackpot differs.

JXP, your plan mirrors mine almost exactly.

guesser's avatar - Lottery-017.jpg

United States
                      Member #41383
                      June 16, 2006
                      1969 Posts
                      Posted: April 18, 2007, 11:06 pm - IP Logged

It's not always the people with the money who change.  Sometimes it's the people around them who start asking for money, acting as though they're somehow entitled, treating them like a bank and sulking when they're told no, or being jealous over what the now-rich person has, or suggesting in oh-so-subtle ways that the now-rich person doesn't deserve their good fortune.

But don't you think YOU know which of those around you value you the most ?  Or which ones you value most ?  I don't mean value as in 'money-wise', but I mean as relationship friends.    A person has true friends, a person has fair-weather friends, and a person has acquantances, out of the 200-300 people I consider friends, only 3-4 are true friends, and 98% make up the other two categories, and I don't need fair-weather friends, and I know who those folks are.  If I won the lottery, I think I'd be a pretty good judge of who is going to start trying to 'push' the friendship to more than it was, and those folks I don't need.

MegaWinner's avatar - Lottery-029.jpg
                        New Jersey
                        United States
                        Member #50273
                        March 3, 2007
                        348 Posts
                        Posted: April 18, 2007, 11:51 pm - IP Logged

When did she win money?  Was it MM or PB? 

As far as 34 million, i'll assume and say that is after taxes.  I'd buy a 2 million dollar home.  I'd buy several cars totaling about $1 million bucks.  I'd buy strip malls and other real estate to keep the money rolling in.  I'd give away 10 million to my family and friends; the taxes are coming out of their shares, sorry.  And i'd give a little to the fire, police, and ambulance stations in the city I settle down in.  I'd also give money to my Freemason lodge.  That would leave me with about 14 million that I would save and invest.

$34 million is a decent amount of money but not enough to buy any and everything you want when you want it.

But honestly, you shouldn't have any ill feelings towards your sister.  What would you do if it were you?  Did you give her money on a consistent basis to play the lottery?  I know we can speculate all day on what we would do if the shoe was on the other foot but c'mon, you really shouldn't hold any animosity towards your sister.  It is afterall, her money to with as she pleases.  

I for one wouldn't expect anything from my family if they won (well, my father and one of my sisters would throw money my way) and I hope they expect the same from me.  Sometimes your family will do you in faster than a perfect stranger would.  

When I win the PB or MM jackpot, anyone acting like I must give them a handout will recieve a high-five and thats it.  How dare anyone expect any parts of my dough just because I won it in a lottery.  I don't give away money now and that will not change.  I am probably the quickest person in my family to say NO and not feel bad doing it.

Sun Smiley I got my fingers crossed ready to win!!! Sun Smiley

United States
                          Member #26330
                          November 16, 2005
                          330 Posts
                          Posted: April 19, 2007, 12:57 am - IP Logged

Are you asking why did your sister change after winning millions in the lottery? If so, she has just had the shock of her life winning a huge jackpot. She will need family and friends to keep her grounded.  You are likely wondering why if she has won this money why hasn't she done this or that with her money.  Let her calm down from the shock of the win then she will be more likely to be able to make decisions as to what to do with the money.  However this may cause tension in the family because she may not spend her winnings the way "the family" thinks she should.  She will eventually calm herself down.  She probably is not acting out of greed she is still in shock from the event eventually it will wear off.

NY
                            United States
                            Member #23835
                            October 16, 2005
                            3474 Posts
                            Posted: April 19, 2007, 2:35 am - IP Logged

well lilly it sound like your family may have screwed you over some how, As far as mine there was no problem till the jackpot thing happened. Through it all though she is my sister and i love her. Her way of thinking is not clear. sorry to hear you have such a lonley life because beyond money family is what counts, I just want my sister back to be like her old self. I feel sorry lilly you dont know what the real value of family is about. good luck Smile

"it sound like your family may have screwed you over some how"

A lot of the people here have said they wouldn't share with family members, but I don't recall many explanations for not sharing, and it's the reasons that are important. The reason that is cited most often seems to be that  they haven't received anything from their family. My parents buy a new car every 3  or 4 years, typically take at least one vacation that costs 12 to 15 grand each year, and live in a 2500 square foot house. The story is similar for the rest of my family, so giving any of them a modest amount of money would do little to improve their lifestyle. While they are all doing well financially, none are so wealthy that I would expect them to give to another family member unless that person really needed help. There is no reason they should make a sacrifice to improve the lot of somebody who is already comfortable.  That said, I'm guessing that a lot of people here must have had sad family lives judging from how many simply say they wouldn't  give anything to family.

While I'm happy to occasionally fantasize about extravagances like a yacht, the main reason I'd rather net 40 to 50 million than the 5 million or so that would make me very comfortable for life is the ability to share that good fortune. Family and friends would benefit mostly in the form of vacations and  being able to spend more time together doing the things we enjoy. One of the ironies of winning the lottery is that you can have  more free time, but the people you enjoy spending your time with don't get more time to spend with you. A select few would be able to retire if I were to net a substantial amount.

Need would be one criteria for how I would share the wealth, but mostly it would be about the relationships I have with people.  I'm aware that sharing can be a slippery slope, but it must be sad when somebody is family or called a "friend" but the relationship is such that you wouldn't like to share your good fortune with them.

va
                              United States
                              Member #51662
                              April 18, 2007
                              8 Posts
                              Posted: April 19, 2007, 6:18 am - IP Logged

I think you may have gotten the post all mixed up it is not about me getting money, This is about taking care of your parents, I can understand after taxes and all it came to a little over 12 million that you cant please everyone you will  be broke but for your parents who have always been there for you it just does not seem right, what would i do, my parents would not have one bill to ever pay. My parents are not upset but i can tell they are hurt and to see them hurt makes me feel really bad this was the person i looked up to all my life.