Welcome Guest
You last visited January 24, 2017, 12:09 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Online got me into this mess, Can it get me out?

Topic closed. 35 replies. Last post 10 years ago by LOTTOMIKE.

Page 1 of 3
PrintE-mailLink
Kentucky
United States
Member #51696
April 20, 2007
3 Posts
Posted: April 20, 2007, 8:14 am - IP Logged

I have been in the C-Store buisness for about 28 years, and have leased for the last 10 years.  My health has been going down hill for the past few years, and I have had to depend on my wife alot to get the store opened up.  In the process she has gotten hooked on online games, and scratch offs.  To make a long story short, she has covered her losses with cash short, and even framed past employees, for her losses.  We currently, dont even have any help due to this reason.  Also some past employees has contributed to cash short, knowing she has a problem, and it was hard for me to pin point who took what.  This problem has been going on worse for the last two years, over $100,000.00 in profits, in 2005, and 2006, and I have a cash short of over $16,000.00 this year alone.  She nolonger is loosing my money, she is now loosing other peoples.  I today am faced between overdrafting my bank account, or facing bouncing checks.  I hocked my home last year, and it also has been gambled away.  If I close, I loose all, and will not be able to seek employment, and they will surely garnish my wages, and we will be out on the street with 3 boys.  I even stooped to wagering a $100.00 last night from numbers she thought would come in, only to loose.  I have seen her on this website, and thought maybe someone here could put some light on the subject, or have a suggestion.  Does any body have a magic number?

Todd's avatar - Cylon 2.gif
    Chief Bottle Washer
    New Jersey
    United States
    Member #1
    May 31, 2000
    23356 Posts
    Posted: April 20, 2007, 8:20 am - IP Logged

The official state lottery web site in your state should have a link to a gambler's anonymous service or helpline in your state.

Check the State Lottery Report Card
    What grade did your lottery earn?

Sign the Petition for True Lottery Drawings
    Help eliminate computerized drawings!

guesser's avatar - Lottery-017.jpg

United States
      Member #41383
      June 16, 2006
      1969 Posts
      Posted: April 20, 2007, 9:20 am - IP Logged

Gaming won't get you out of it, it will only compound your losses.

You need to find a way to cut her off from all of it. 

Coastal Georgia
        United States
        Member #2653
        October 30, 2003
        1866 Posts
        Posted: April 20, 2007, 9:26 am - IP Logged

I have been in the C-Store buisness for about 28 years, and have leased for the last 10 years.  My health has been going down hill for the past few years, and I have had to depend on my wife alot to get the store opened up.  In the process she has gotten hooked on online games, and scratch offs.  To make a long story short, she has covered her losses with cash short, and even framed past employees, for her losses.  We currently, dont even have any help due to this reason.  Also some past employees has contributed to cash short, knowing she has a problem, and it was hard for me to pin point who took what.  This problem has been going on worse for the last two years, over $100,000.00 in profits, in 2005, and 2006, and I have a cash short of over $16,000.00 this year alone.  She nolonger is loosing my money, she is now loosing other peoples.  I today am faced between overdrafting my bank account, or facing bouncing checks.  I hocked my home last year, and it also has been gambled away.  If I close, I loose all, and will not be able to seek employment, and they will surely garnish my wages, and we will be out on the street with 3 boys.  I even stooped to wagering a $100.00 last night from numbers she thought would come in, only to loose.  I have seen her on this website, and thought maybe someone here could put some light on the subject, or have a suggestion.  Does any body have a magic number?

gasman, you better get her into rehab right now.

Have you sat her down and explained that your home is gone and she has placed her gambling addiction above the welfare of the children and if so what did she say ?

Todd is right- find the number to gamblers anonymous and call them right away.

Coastal Georgia
          United States
          Member #2653
          October 30, 2003
          1866 Posts
          Posted: April 20, 2007, 9:28 am - IP Logged

By the way, the number is

1-800- GAMBLER

Kentucky
            United States
            Member #51696
            April 20, 2007
            3 Posts
            Posted: April 20, 2007, 9:41 am - IP Logged

gasman, you better get her into rehab right now.

Have you sat her down and explained that your home is gone and she has placed her gambling addiction above the welfare of the children and if so what did she say ?

Todd is right- find the number to gamblers anonymous and call them right away.

I have lived and breathed, telling her the horrible outcome, but I think as things grew worse, she uped her bets, in hope of winning the big one, to bail me out.  I can see the hurt in her eyes, but I cant get her to admit to me she has a problem anymore, she once would admit.  We live in rural Eastern part of the state, and the GAA is 90 miles away.  I can not prevent my doors closing within the week, but I have told her, when the lottery machine isnt readily available as it is now, she will go to jail, because she will be back to writting bad checks again, and I will not be able to cover them anymore.

Honduras
              Member #20982
              August 29, 2005
              4715 Posts
              Posted: April 20, 2007, 12:03 pm - IP Logged

If she from KY too? Because Kentucky & WVA have the more enticing and seductive lottery in the country...I am tracing back my history when i just started in the lottery bussiness and how i thought i could win it...Thinking about it, if i have live in WVa or Kentucky i would required Gambling Anonymous help...Why? Because Kentucky along with Wva has the most enticing & seductive lottery in the country...Which one they are? They are Wva CAsh25 & KY CashBall....I am not sure but the last time i check KY Cashball i think it pays 50 dollars for a 3of4 ticket...No one in the country come close to that....

Thought i could help.... 

"More important than winning the states' lottery is the movie "Red Planet"....."

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
                mid-Ohio
                United States
                Member #9
                March 24, 2001
                19904 Posts
                Posted: April 20, 2007, 1:00 pm - IP Logged

Sounds like it's time for some tough love if she has started stealing money out of the cash registers and writing bad checks.  Let the law take its course, you would do as much for a stranger and besides some time in jail will clear her head.  Good luck.

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning ticket * 

Evil Looking       

LuckyLilly's avatar - savy chick.png

United States
                  Member #50124
                  February 26, 2007
                  601 Posts
                  Posted: April 20, 2007, 1:16 pm - IP Logged

"I even stooped to wagering a $100.00 last night ... "

I don't know if you're also a gambler, or just an enabler, but it sounds to me like you need the help of someone outside to keep both of you in line.  

Sorry this is such a rough time for you, good luck getting it sorted out.   Group Hug

LANTERN's avatar - kilroy 28_173_reasonably_small.jpg
                    Tx
                    United States
                    Member #4570
                    May 4, 2004
                    5180 Posts
                    Posted: April 20, 2007, 1:47 pm - IP Logged

You seem to be looking for help too late and even in the wrong place, either one or both of you will be on the street soon enough and or in jail.

The children might be taken away, either by the state and or relatives, it will not go too good for them either.

You should had done something about your health, wife and business in time, when you could. 

First you should had gotten in better health, then after you first saw the changes in your wife and the store, the store should had been turned over to a better person than her, then soon after, you should had taken care of her and her new problems.

You have waited 2 years or longer and now, What can you do, other than going to the street to live there and or jail?

You have neither relatives nor friends? You don't know anybody at all?

Do you and your wife live appart (From everybody) and cut-off from everybody and in the middle of no-where? 

How long did you think that things could last?

Well, sooner or later, we all get as we deserve, if not in this life, then there after sometime.

Maybe both of you will change in the future, either for the best or for worse yet.

Jail might change her for the best or for worse, but probably for worse.

Good luck to you all. 

BibleOnline  ParishesOnline  ChristianRadioOnline   MassOnline   Mass

"Ten measures of beauty descended to the world, nine were taken by Jerusalem."

CCHS13's avatar - chi jpeg.jpg
                      Illinois
                      United States
                      Member #46704
                      September 23, 2006
                      3692 Posts
                      Posted: April 20, 2007, 2:43 pm - IP Logged

Like any habit you are trying to stop going cold turkey is harder than a gradual decrease

You need to alot a budget so that she feels as though she is still "in the game" but

under no circumstances is that budget to exceed the alloted amount.  You have to

contain it not stop it, if she's not playing she'll always be wondering what if...

Men Lie Women Lie Numbers Dont

Kentucky
                        United States
                        Member #32652
                        February 14, 2006
                        7344 Posts
                        Posted: April 20, 2007, 3:09 pm - IP Logged

If she from KY too? Because Kentucky & WVA have the more enticing and seductive lottery in the country...I am tracing back my history when i just started in the lottery bussiness and how i thought i could win it...Thinking about it, if i have live in WVa or Kentucky i would required Gambling Anonymous help...Why? Because Kentucky along with Wva has the most enticing & seductive lottery in the country...Which one they are? They are Wva CAsh25 & KY CashBall....I am not sure but the last time i check KY Cashball i think it pays 50 dollars for a 3of4 ticket...No one in the country come close to that....

Thought i could help.... 

"More important than winning the states' lottery is the movie "Red Planet"....."

The problem here is not the games but accessibility to the lottery terminal and the instant scratch-off tickets. This isn't about gambling away all her money but shorting the cash register, blaming employees, defrauding the lottery, and bankrupting her husband's business.

Gamblers Anonymous can help people stop gambling and so can a prison term.

Coastal Georgia
                          United States
                          Member #2653
                          October 30, 2003
                          1866 Posts
                          Posted: April 20, 2007, 3:19 pm - IP Logged

Pumpi, I don't think "enticing and seductive" are privy to just KY and WVA lotteries.

All of them are enticing and seductive if one is weak willed. Heck, they are made that way.

This lady clearly has major problems that go deeper than a lottery obsession and one of our posters hit it on the head regarding a prison term. It just might be the only thing that can stop her, sadly...

Miss Bee's avatar - strawberry
                            nashville
                            United States
                            Member #4990
                            June 8, 2004
                            1376 Posts
                            Posted: April 20, 2007, 3:42 pm - IP Logged

This addiction is a very strong force, I have dealt with it since Tn got the lottery.

I am scratch off free for almost a week now. I wasn't even sure if I could go in a store like a normal person and just make a normal purchase.But thanks be to God I can, it is a much better feeling than winning on a scratch off, because I have won something greater, a little more control over my mind and this addiction. I also had to verbally tell people what I was doing at least I did at my regular store but today I had to visit someplace else and sure enough the little voice started you might win if you play, just get 10.00 worth and stop, but I thank God I did not give in to the little voice and left with a much greater win. I really could do this, and I know it will be a battle for a long time but each time you resist you get stronger. My prayers will be with you through this time, but you have to take the first step May GOD pour his mercy on you and your wife and give you the will to start your battle.

LAVERNE MALONEY's avatar - smallgirl

United States
                              Member #1987
                              August 5, 2003
                              8968 Posts
                              Posted: April 20, 2007, 3:47 pm - IP Logged

I don't know if this poster is an IMposter.

This person joined April 20, 2007, today. This may be a school project of some kind. Perhaps some type of "paper".

You know this sort of thing has happened before. 

Being in business for 28 years & this sort of thing is happening now. Especially with money missing & blame being placed concerning employees. I would expect that some type of legal action would have taken place by now on the part of the accused.

This story does not add up. I can't see it. & I may be wrong... but ...that's how it is coming down the pike to me.