Welcome Guest
You last visited December 8, 2016, 12:55 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

What would you do if you had the winning lottery ticket BUT.

Topic closed. 35 replies. Last post 9 years ago by Viceroy.

Page 2 of 3
PrintE-mailLink
Badger's avatar - adu50016 NorthAmericanBadger.jpg
Wisconsin
United States
Member #1303
March 27, 2003
1508 Posts
Posted: May 1, 2007, 10:56 pm - IP Logged

Frankly, I don't worry about it until I have the winning PB ticket.  If you aint got it, it aint a problem...it's just a hypothetical.

Enjoy Lottery Post. It's an interesting place.

============

How can you tell if a politician is lying?

Answer: His lips are moving.

Wisconsin
    United States
    Member #1303
    March 27, 2003
    1508 Posts
    Posted: May 1, 2007, 11:03 pm - IP Logged

If I only had 47 cents in the bank, I'd do whatever I was gonna do if I hadn't won the lottery.  I'd still take the necessary steps to remain anonymous, if that's even possible here.  It's so important to me, I'd prefer to be homeless and live in my car for a couple months till things can get squared away.  I'd sell everything I have on craigslist or somewhere to get money for an attorney.  It can all be replaced (with better stuff!) when that ticket is finally cashed.

You wouldn't have to do all that.  There isn't an attorney in this country that wouldn't take yo as a client if all you did was show him a Xerox copy of the front and back f the ticket.  He/she would be more than happy to wait until the ticket was cashed to be paid.  Attorneys aren't starving for money.

However, the first thing I would figure to do if you aren't cashing it right away (after mmaking a copy at Kinko's <LOL> is to rent a safety deposit box at your bank, and put the ticket there. No way I'd leave it at home nor walk around with it on me.

============

Wisconsin
      United States
      Member #1303
      March 27, 2003
      1508 Posts
      Posted: May 1, 2007, 11:08 pm - IP Logged

I'm sure your family and friends, and second cousins,  already knows what a cheap and uncharitable person you are and won't even bother asking you for money.

First and foremost, the money belongs to whoever has the winning ticket. It is their money. If they choose to give it all away to the Home for Homeless Cats, that's their business. It says nowhere that a lottery winner is obligated to give his/her money to anyone...and making a judgement on what someone else does with their property says more about the person making the judgement than it does about the property owner.

Do you suppose that Bill Gates is constantly setting up his second and third cousins and every one of his friends for life by giving them cash?  I think not.

============

four4me's avatar - gate1
        MD
        United States
        Member #1701
        June 18, 2003
        8362 Posts
        Posted: May 1, 2007, 11:52 pm - IP Logged
        I see you have been a member for a while. Like someone else said this topic has been beat to death on here. First thing you do is secure the ticket and then call your attorney. Have him claim it in a trust for you, if your state says you can't claim it in a trust. Hold of cashing the ticket get your lawyer to help you secure a safe location be it a house in the country or a secure floor of a major hotel. While there you and the lawyer will discuss the terms of the trust and include any family member you want placed on the trust. Even if your state won't allow you to claim the ticket in a trust you can still get a trust fund for the family members. If you have the notion of leaving the country you should start getting all your papers in order now because it will take weeks before you can secure a passport.  
        also you can type this in your search engine on your computer
        What To Do Before and After You Win the Lottery
          NY
          United States
          Member #23835
          October 16, 2005
          3474 Posts
          Posted: May 2, 2007, 3:15 am - IP Logged

Regardless of how you choose to do it, it's always possible to have somebody else's name released to the public if you win a lottery jackpot. The earliest example I'm aware of was the group of machinists who won nearly 300 million (annuity) in '98 who had a lawyer represent them. I've always been curious how much he charged for his services. How much would you want to have your name released for all the crackpots you're worried about to call up with their requests and sob stories?

Then there's the matter of how a corporation would transfer the money. If it's paid as a salary there will be the regular income tax, plus social security (and perhaps workman's comp and other issues) . Dividends are paid after the company pays corporate income taxes, so that's probably not the way to go, but turning  regular income into capital gains would be good.

As others have pointed out, unless the only change you'd make after winning the lottery is retiring,  others will recognize the change in lifestyle as an indication that you have a lot more money that you used to. For that reason, anonymity would be only a minor convenience.

The most important things to do after winning a jackpot are to get good professional advice, be discreet, and learn to say no when necessary.

United States
            Member #28453
            December 16, 2005
            10 Posts
            Posted: May 2, 2007, 9:22 am - IP Logged

Ok good points so far.......will try to research further....

very interested in proxy claimaints to achieve anonymity.....

....interested in tax problems......

....since I am a paranoid penny pinching miser, I want to get the most bang for my buck....

...If anonymous trusts (possibly offered by my state) are allowed how do you program said trust to payout? and is that already PRE-programmed, to achieve maximum exposure...

that is something i will research here.

guesser's avatar - Lottery-017.jpg

United States
              Member #41383
              June 16, 2006
              1969 Posts
              Posted: May 2, 2007, 11:54 am - IP Logged

Are you sure you are not the alter-ego of Pumpi76 ??

If I were you, I'd put 100% of my thoughts into winning the thing first, and how to collect second.

'Cart before the horse', as they say. 

Amarillo/Austin
                United States
                Member #1424
                April 25, 2003
                696 Posts
                Posted: May 2, 2007, 12:37 pm - IP Logged

The answer is simple:  Learn to say NO.

Orangeman

Hit With Stick

LuckyLilly's avatar - savy chick.png

United States
                  Member #50124
                  February 26, 2007
                  601 Posts
                  Posted: May 2, 2007, 1:12 pm - IP Logged

Regardless of how you choose to do it, it's always possible to have somebody else's name released to the public if you win a lottery jackpot. The earliest example I'm aware of was the group of machinists who won nearly 300 million (annuity) in '98 who had a lawyer represent them. I've always been curious how much he charged for his services. How much would you want to have your name released for all the crackpots you're worried about to call up with their requests and sob stories?

Then there's the matter of how a corporation would transfer the money. If it's paid as a salary there will be the regular income tax, plus social security (and perhaps workman's comp and other issues) . Dividends are paid after the company pays corporate income taxes, so that's probably not the way to go, but turning  regular income into capital gains would be good.

As others have pointed out, unless the only change you'd make after winning the lottery is retiring,  others will recognize the change in lifestyle as an indication that you have a lot more money that you used to. For that reason, anonymity would be only a minor convenience.

The most important things to do after winning a jackpot are to get good professional advice, be discreet, and learn to say no when necessary.

"The most important things to do after winning a jackpot are to get good professional advice, be discreet, and learn to say no when necessary." 

Just let me add to that, if you have a "problem" member in your family, be sure to make it very clear that your attorney has already drawn up an airtight will that gives your money to charity or to someone besides the "problem" member so they won't be tempted to off you to get their hands on what they perceive to be their share.

To the people who think we're selfish heartless pigs if we don't hand over large amounts of cash (or any cash for that matter) to relatives, I have to guess you are lucky to have great family.  Some of us don't.  Some of us have family who would pester us to death always wanting more, who would treat us as nothing more than a pocketbook.  Some of us have family who wouldn't think twice about suing, killing, whatever it takes to get money.  Some of us have family who would ruin their lives if they had alot of money (just look at Whittaker's granddaughter).   It's unfair to judge without knowing the circumstances.

United States
                    Member #28453
                    December 16, 2005
                    10 Posts
                    Posted: May 10, 2007, 5:52 pm - IP Logged

Thanks for all your posts,so far folks. I have been getting a lot of input

Where exactly on this forum should I go and have a look at to research my main topic of  "Proxy Representation/ Claiming Anonymously in "NON-Anonymous" state?

As I may have intimated before, I am a paranoid chaser of lottery fortune. I want to be able to have all my ducks in a row. I have a very nasty affliction called "being a doormat" and as time goes on it seems all I seem to look forward to is how to be a better one. Unfortunately, I seem to be failing at that, too. I don't mean to sound depressed, or disheartened or what not.....I just want to be able to control who sees what.

I read somewhere that a lawyer was talking to a federal judge and this judge, after a round of martinis, spoke these words to the lawyer ...

"if a judge can see it, he can seize it."

that also means that, if lawyers can see it, they can sue for it.

and that also means that, if friends can see it, then they'll try to grab it or you, to give it to them.

that also means that, if you can hide or shield your true ownership  of assets or accounts from prying eyes, then, no one can seize it, no one can sue for it, and no one will make a grab for it or you.

because they can't see it.

and neither can the bad guys.

TheGameGrl's avatar - character catafly.jpg
                      A long and winding road
                      United States
                      Member #17084
                      June 10, 2005
                      4527 Posts
                      Posted: May 10, 2007, 6:34 pm - IP Logged

I hope you'll take my words into consideration. Seek counseling from a medical professional before seeking any further advice. If the original post is any indication of the illness, paranoia can be tempered thru various medical avenues.

I rarely feed into a persons :""what if" attitude, but instead point you towards correcting or remedying what is truly ailing a person.

Best to you ...

~~Is it true, Is it kind,Is it necessary. ~~~

Thanks be to the giving numbers: 1621,912,119 02014

tntea's avatar - Lottery-059.jpg

United States
                        Member #5344
                        June 30, 2004
                        23641 Posts
                        Posted: May 10, 2007, 9:07 pm - IP Logged

If I were you, I'd put 100% of my thoughts into winning the thing first, and how to collect second.

'Cart before the horse', as they say. 

seems like same person...

OLD/Vtrac   Lottery Bible         Double Warnings      Thumbs Up TN F34/F44

United States
                          Member #28453
                          December 16, 2005
                          10 Posts
                          Posted: May 28, 2007, 3:56 pm - IP Logged

NO. I am not the alter ego of Pumpi76. I don't know who he is. Should I go talk to him?

and for ThaGameGrl...Well, I do strive to be properly medicated...but I am afraid the State Stores that's near the WaWa where I used to live near does not have Jack Daniels No.7 In the Six-pack variety...Yet. Also if you are living near a Clemens or Acme or Some other Store that sells the half-Gallon jugs of the TurkeyHill Peach Tea or Mint Tea, can you please send me a bottle...it's been ten years or so since I was able to partake of the wonderful brew there, and I used to inhale that stuff sitting at my old 386. I miss being able to get that Tea....but if they finally did put Jack in the Can....send me some of that too...

and sorry for the large text...my eyes couldn't read the text so I enlarged it.

hypersoniq's avatar - 8ball
                            Pennsylvania
                            United States
                            Member #1340
                            April 6, 2003
                            2450 Posts
                            Posted: May 28, 2007, 10:32 pm - IP Logged

I would not waste time deliberating, the ticket would be signed INSTANTLY!

If I win, I will refuse the press conference (you CAN do that), only use my name on the ticket (not drag the mrs. into it), and refuse any and all press-related questions... being met by the barrel of a pair of Glocks should dissuade curiosity seekers, and the first time I would get bugged by solicitations, I will sue the state for creating the situation in the first place...

PA will wish it was more like Delaware if I ever win...

Playing more than one ticket per game is betting against yourself.

guesser's avatar - Lottery-017.jpg

United States
                              Member #41383
                              June 16, 2006
                              1969 Posts
                              Posted: May 29, 2007, 1:55 am - IP Logged

seems like same person...

Sorry - I just saw this.

I'm not quite sure how to reply, I'm about as opposite of P76 as you can get, which may or may not qualify me as an alter ego... LOL

Anything I say in response would be an insult to someone, so I better not..