Welcome Guest
You last visited January 16, 2017, 5:37 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

New Florida Raffle

Topic closed. 22 replies. Last post 10 years ago by lacie.

Page 1 of 2
PrintE-mailLink
justxploring's avatar - villiarna
Wandering Aimlessly
United States
Member #25360
November 5, 2005
4461 Posts
Posted: May 12, 2007, 7:26 pm - IP Logged

I'm not sure what forum in which to post this, since this is not an instant game and not a jackpot game.

Florida is going to have another Raffle for July 4th.  Tickets will go on sale May 18.  Tickets cost $20 each. 

United States
    Member #1826
    July 11, 2003
    2645 Posts
    Posted: May 13, 2007, 12:01 am - IP Logged

I'm not sure what forum in which to post this, since this is not an instant game and not a jackpot game.

Florida is going to have another Raffle for July 4th.  Tickets will go on sale May 18.  Tickets cost $20 each. 

Another huge ripoff.

(insert signature here)

Todd's avatar - Cylon 2.gif
      Chief Bottle Washer
      New Jersey
      United States
      Member #1
      May 31, 2000
      23345 Posts
      Posted: May 13, 2007, 7:16 am - IP Logged

Another huge ripoff.

Can you substantiate that claim with any facts?  I happen to think that the raffles are some of the best non-ripoffs of any lottery game.

Check the State Lottery Report Card
      What grade did your lottery earn?

Sign the Petition for True Lottery Drawings
      Help eliminate computerized drawings!

Super8's avatar - Lottery-012.jpg
        Orlando
        United States
        Member #11094
        February 4, 2005
        338 Posts
        Posted: May 13, 2007, 8:31 am - IP Logged

Can you substantiate that claim with any facts?  I happen to think that the raffles are some of the best non-ripoffs of any lottery game.

I haven't won anything yet, but I agree with Todd's statement.

Super8

Wandering Aimlessly
          United States
          Member #25360
          November 5, 2005
          4461 Posts
          Posted: May 13, 2007, 1:03 pm - IP Logged

ODDS OF WINNING.  Which is better?

Last time I didn't buy a Raffle ticket and I have even less money now to gamble! But maybe the odds are much better than the Lotto.  I play 4 combinations twice a week.  $40 would be 10 drawings.  Two Raffle tickets = $40. 

Lotto has 1 in 23 million odds. (starts at $3M and is now $10M)   The Raffle is advertising odds of 1 in 125,000 (12 winners guaranteed to win $1M)  25 people will win $100,000 (odds are 1 in 60,000) and 200 people will win $10,000 (with odds of 1 in 7,500)  I realize the odds still aren't great, but aren't they better than most jackpot games?

I will still play my Lotto numbers, but why do the odds for this Raffle look so much better?  Are they at least 20 times better to justify the cost?  Comments, please. 

tnlotto1's avatar - logo
            nashville
            United States
            Member #49896
            February 18, 2007
            1181 Posts
            Posted: May 13, 2007, 1:54 pm - IP Logged

Last time I didn't buy a Raffle ticket and I have even less money now to gamble! But maybe the odds are much better than the Lotto.  I play 4 combinations twice a week.  $40 would be 10 drawings.  Two Raffle tickets = $40. 

Lotto has 1 in 23 million odds. (starts at $3M and is now $10M)   The Raffle is advertising odds of 1 in 125,000 (12 winners guaranteed to win $1M)  25 people will win $100,000 (odds are 1 in 60,000) and 200 people will win $10,000 (with odds of 1 in 7,500)  I realize the odds still aren't great, but aren't they better than most jackpot games?

I will still play my Lotto numbers, but why do the odds for this Raffle look so much better?  Are they at least 20 times better to justify the cost?  Comments, please. 

the raffle odds are good compared to the larger lotteries because we never know when they will end and when they will have a winner but the raffle has a set drawing date and much better odds. i went to georgia a few weeks ago to get a ticket for their new raffle game and i have many tickets for the raffle in tennessee monday. i will head to kentucky to get some raffle tickets for their new raffle they are having. so i agree with you justx and todd the odds are good enough to take but at least one ticket and take a chance in most state raffles...

Florida
              United States
              Member #52146
              May 12, 2007
              2 Posts
              Posted: May 14, 2007, 5:28 pm - IP Logged

Yes the odds are very much better..I remember the last raffle Florida had...it was a great success. I made one mistake on that one , i bought all my tickets at the same time: the numbers are selected  ramdomly so that one winning ticket number may appear at the head of the list and one at the end...etc...

Do yourself a favor and further spread your chances by buying you tickets over a week or two time...so that you are not locked into one specific slot of numbers.... I'd much rather be playing in a 1/125K game than a 1/23m odds game....

Wandering Aimlessly
                United States
                Member #25360
                November 5, 2005
                4461 Posts
                Posted: May 14, 2007, 6:03 pm - IP Logged

Yes the odds are very much better..I remember the last raffle Florida had...it was a great success. I made one mistake on that one , i bought all my tickets at the same time: the numbers are selected  ramdomly so that one winning ticket number may appear at the head of the list and one at the end...etc...

Do yourself a favor and further spread your chances by buying you tickets over a week or two time...so that you are not locked into one specific slot of numbers.... I'd much rather be playing in a 1/125K game than a 1/23m odds game....

Thanks for posting, but I'm not so sure that really makes a difference, although many people would agree with you.  I did notice that when they published the list of winners last time, the cities were spread all over the state.  So how does it work?  Do they use the same method as a QP for a jackpot game?  Is the number generated by the store terminal?

If so, then it shouldn't matter what time or what day you buy your ticket.  To me "random" means that 10 tickets in a row can be winners or that no winners at all will be picked from an entire county....just the luck of the draw. 

United States
                  Member #17555
                  June 22, 2005
                  5582 Posts
                  Posted: May 14, 2007, 6:46 pm - IP Logged

Thanks for posting, but I'm not so sure that really makes a difference, although many people would agree with you.  I did notice that when they published the list of winners last time, the cities were spread all over the state.  So how does it work?  Do they use the same method as a QP for a jackpot game?  Is the number generated by the store terminal?

If so, then it shouldn't matter what time or what day you buy your ticket.  To me "random" means that 10 tickets in a row can be winners or that no winners at all will be picked from an entire county....just the luck of the draw. 

I think that it's possible for different states to use different seeds in their programming, however, I don't think it matters one way or the other.

After they throw the balls and the machine down a long staircase, then change the position of the tubes, do pre-tests to make sure everything works properly.( Yeah right...like doing pre-tests prevents catastrophes...Yeah OK......!), Then we can be assured that it's as random as possible.

I'd rather take the chance of a computerized draw "MAYBE" being tampered with. "MAYBE"!

Knowing the fact that all mechanical ones are forced through a seive, atleast I know ahead of time, meaning....I know ahead of time that those events are definitely taking place. With computerized...It's definitely not the same in every case. It's very hard for me to believe that every computerized state is acting suspiciously so well, that no one has been able to prove it. That's good stealth action there...LOL This amount of time, and no one found anything? 

Just one man's opiness....LOL

Coin Toss's avatar - shape barbed.jpg
                    Zeta Reticuli Star System
                    United States
                    Member #30470
                    January 17, 2006
                    10388 Posts
                    Posted: May 14, 2007, 6:48 pm - IP Logged

Let's say the odds 'sound better'. The lotery being the "bookie" in this case, these raffles are a bookie's "wet dream".

This is the way Illinois' raffle worked:

$10 ticket, 500,000 tickets had to be sold, which they were.

A total of 509 prized paid out. I think it was 4 for $1,000,000, 5 for $100,000 and 500 for $1,000.

Take a good look:

500,000  entries

-       509 winners

= 499, 491 losers. 

So with two fields, one of 509, and the other being 499, 491, which one do you think you'd land in?

500,000 X $20 = $10,000,000, half of it paid out in prizes and the other half a guranteed $5,000,000 for the state.

I bought one ticket and mine was in the 28000 series. (Illinois had a zero in front so it was 0280000 something).

Not one ticket in the 28000 series won anything. 

While the lower odds sound attractive compared to a jackpot game, the $20 "buy-in" as compared to a $1 buy-in is quite a bit steeper.

In poker there's a thing called "pot odds" which is a comparison of  the odds against drawing the cards you need to make a hand to the odds determined by how much is in the pot and how much of that you have put in the pot. This is kind of a lotto version of the same thing, on a much grander scale.

As far as raffle "quick picks", I think if you were to buy more than one raffle ticket you would find out they are issued in sequence. I'm not absolutely positive about that, but i know that when we had the raffle the serial number of the tickets were determined largely by the date they had been drawn.  

The earlier tickets had lower numbers than tickets purchased afterwards, so they had to have been issued in sequence.

PS

Just my $.02, but comsidering the example above of 509 winners as oppossed to 499,491 losers I'd like to see a law passed that any state lottery conducting a raffle has to pay out 80% of the take in prizes, not 50%.

Either that or a "booby prize raffle" that would go something like this - it's half price of whatever the raffle is going for. You pick up a playslip and SASE envelope form the lottery commission with a form that says:

Dear (fill in the state _ _ _ _ _) lottery. Enclosed is my $_ _ for the booby prize raffle. I can't stand having this $_ _ and just want to send it to the lottery without the formality of getting a ticket I have to check the number on when the winners are listed.

Sincerely,

Shlomo Schmuck

Those who run the lotteries love it when players look for consistency in something that's designed not to have any.

Lep

There is one and only one 'proven' system, and that is to book the action. No matter the game, let the players pick their own losers.

United States
                      Member #17555
                      June 22, 2005
                      5582 Posts
                      Posted: May 14, 2007, 6:55 pm - IP Logged

And by the way...If most people think that pre-tests are done because of past tampering.....Well...fine...good reason...BUT!

BUT! If they just tell everyone that they are doing pre-tests and they secretly don't do them, then it'll be somewhat fair. It's just like the new surveillance cameras at your local super market. They have dark one way glass bowls covering the cameras so you can't see whether they are looking at you or not. I've heard that some owners are just buying the bowls and not the cameras. Since you can't see the camera anyway, you'll never know if there's one there or not....Brilliant!

Wandering Aimlessly
                        United States
                        Member #25360
                        November 5, 2005
                        4461 Posts
                        Posted: May 14, 2007, 11:30 pm - IP Logged

Pac, that's like putting one of those Brinks or ADT signs on your lawn without actually having a burglar alarm.  It's just a sign!  I can't imagine that a supermarket would have "fake" cameras just to make a would-be thief think twice about stuffing a pound of ground round down his pants.

Okay - now I'm confused, since the above post is talking about balls and pre-tests.  What has this to do with the Raffle games?  I thought that the Raffle printed out the numbers in sequence (as Coin Toss described) and then they are chosen by a central computer.  How can the lottery use the same method (the ball draw) that they use for a jackpot game?  I mean if you have a number like 238976, then there can't possibly be a drawing for this number using balls.  Isn't it a computerized drawing?

From the Florida Lottery web site:

"...tickets will automatically print from the terminal with ticket numbers issued in sequential order from 1 to 1,500,000 as they are sold around the state."

United States
                          Member #17555
                          June 22, 2005
                          5582 Posts
                          Posted: May 15, 2007, 11:49 am - IP Logged

Pac, that's like putting one of those Brinks or ADT signs on your lawn without actually having a burglar alarm.  It's just a sign!  I can't imagine that a supermarket would have "fake" cameras just to make a would-be thief think twice about stuffing a pound of ground round down his pants.

Okay - now I'm confused, since the above post is talking about balls and pre-tests.  What has this to do with the Raffle games?  I thought that the Raffle printed out the numbers in sequence (as Coin Toss described) and then they are chosen by a central computer.  How can the lottery use the same method (the ball draw) that they use for a jackpot game?  I mean if you have a number like 238976, then there can't possibly be a drawing for this number using balls.  Isn't it a computerized drawing?

From the Florida Lottery web site:

"...tickets will automatically print from the terminal with ticket numbers issued in sequential order from 1 to 1,500,000 as they are sold around the state."

Sorry...I didn't know how the raffle worked. The wine was really good...LOL

It's good I don't drink and drive.....LOL

lacie's avatar - radar
                            jacksonville, fl.
                            United States
                            Member #19655
                            August 3, 2005
                            133 Posts
                            Posted: May 15, 2007, 12:34 pm - IP Logged

I won 50.00 in the cars and cash raffle they had the last time. It wasn't that much but it still gave me and people in line at the Publix a big thrill hearing the dinging going off on the lotto machine and we all wondered what I had won.

Wandering Aimlessly
                              United States
                              Member #25360
                              November 5, 2005
                              4461 Posts
                              Posted: May 18, 2007, 10:38 am - IP Logged

Tickets went on sale this morning and it looks as if over 10,000 were sold within the first couple of hours.  I'm not sure what time the game went online.

I thought sales would be a little slower now that the "snowbirds" have left.  $20 is a lot of money for one ticket.  The odds make it very tempting, although I don't know anyone who won even the $10,000 prize.  This time they doubled the number of $10,000 winners.