Welcome Guest
You last visited August 21, 2017, 5:21 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

New Florida Raffle

Topic closed. 22 replies. Last post 10 years ago by lacie.

Page 2 of 2
PrintE-mailLink
CARBOB's avatar - FL LOTTERY_LOGO.png
ORLANDO, FLORIDA
United States
Member #4924
June 3, 2004
6112 Posts
Posted: May 18, 2007, 11:03 am - IP Logged

Tickets went on sale this morning and it looks as if over 10,000 were sold within the first couple of hours.  I'm not sure what time the game went online.

I thought sales would be a little slower now that the "snowbirds" have left.  $20 is a lot of money for one ticket.  The odds make it very tempting, although I don't know anyone who won even the $10,000 prize.  This time they doubled the number of $10,000 winners.

I purchased 1, it's at 20,000 + now.

justxploring's avatar - villiarna
    Wandering Aimlessly
    United States
    Member #25360
    November 5, 2005
    4461 Posts
    Posted: May 18, 2007, 11:18 am - IP Logged

I was looking at the FL site which indicates that 1,484,000 were left as of 9:50AM.  So they are selling at a rate of about 10,000 tickets an hour?  That actually makes sense, figuring an average store or gas station (not the 24 hour ones) stays open 12 to 15 hours X 10 to 12 days X 10,000 tickets = what was sold last time FL had a raffle.  I'm assuming that many people buy tickets on the way to work or on the way home, so the early morning hours and around 5 or 6:00 might be the busiest.

Just a thought ---  Anytime I've worked in a retail store they "embellish" a little to get customers in the door.  Sometimes a sense of urgency must be created in order to close a sale, especially when the customer keeps saying "I want to think about it."  Let's say nobody bought a raffle ticket, but the Lottery kept showing more and more were being sold and "You better hurry!"  Isn't that all part their marketing?  I mean, in marketing they teach you to advertise according to the personality type you seek to attract. 

lacie's avatar - radar
      jacksonville, fl.
      United States
      Member #19655
      August 3, 2005
      133 Posts
      Posted: May 18, 2007, 1:14 pm - IP Logged

I was looking at the FL site which indicates that 1,484,000 were left as of 9:50AM.  So they are selling at a rate of about 10,000 tickets an hour?  That actually makes sense, figuring an average store or gas station (not the 24 hour ones) stays open 12 to 15 hours X 10 to 12 days X 10,000 tickets = what was sold last time FL had a raffle.  I'm assuming that many people buy tickets on the way to work or on the way home, so the early morning hours and around 5 or 6:00 might be the busiest.

Just a thought ---  Anytime I've worked in a retail store they "embellish" a little to get customers in the door.  Sometimes a sense of urgency must be created in order to close a sale, especially when the customer keeps saying "I want to think about it."  Let's say nobody bought a raffle ticket, but the Lottery kept showing more and more were being sold and "You better hurry!"  Isn't that all part their marketing?  I mean, in marketing they teach you to advertise according to the personality type you seek to attract. 

what can you win as far as cash amounts go? Do all the winners get 10,000 dollars or do they have different prize values. It would seem to me they would have different prize values.

ft pierce,fla
        United States
        Member #30785
        January 21, 2006
        2111 Posts
        Posted: May 18, 2007, 1:56 pm - IP Logged

I just hope if I win that they will pay me...

the current situation with the scratch-off is a bad mess! 

it kind of reminds me of the old insurance quote, you are always insured until you have a claim !!!

Kentucky
          United States
          Member #32652
          February 14, 2006
          7546 Posts
          Posted: May 18, 2007, 5:44 pm - IP Logged

I just hope if I win that they will pay me...

the current situation with the scratch-off is a bad mess! 

it kind of reminds me of the old insurance quote, you are always insured until you have a claim !!!

My guess is the guy with the scratch-of will get ticket number 1,216,789 and ticket number 216,789 will be drawn for $1 million, the "1" will disappear, and he will call CNN again.

lacie's avatar - radar
            jacksonville, fl.
            United States
            Member #19655
            August 3, 2005
            133 Posts
            Posted: May 18, 2007, 5:54 pm - IP Logged

I bought my raffle ticket today at 3:00pm and I'm number 54566.

I have a feeling this game will run out of tickets by the I'st week in june.

with the lottery selling only 1.5 million tickets the chance of being one of the 12 - 1,000,000 dollar winners looks brighter than normal.

justxploring's avatar - villiarna
              Wandering Aimlessly
              United States
              Member #25360
              November 5, 2005
              4461 Posts
              Posted: May 20, 2007, 1:16 pm - IP Logged

Good luck to you Lacie!  Cheers

I haven't decided yet.  On the one hand $20 is a lot to blow on one ticket.  On the other, I spent over $1,000 on a root canal in Nov and my tooth still hurts a lot. Frown  I spent $40 for a wheel balance, then over $100 on a special wheel balance (called road force) and ended up getting 4 new tires anyway!  So if I keep wasting money like this, why not blow $100 on 5 Raffle tickets?   $20 could turn into a million $$$. 

Just an update.... in 2 days there have been over 150,000 tickets sold.  At this rate, they will be gone by early June as you predicted. 

lacie's avatar - radar
                jacksonville, fl.
                United States
                Member #19655
                August 3, 2005
                133 Posts
                Posted: May 20, 2007, 1:45 pm - IP Logged

Good luck to you Lacie!  Cheers

I haven't decided yet.  On the one hand $20 is a lot to blow on one ticket.  On the other, I spent over $1,000 on a root canal in Nov and my tooth still hurts a lot. Frown  I spent $40 for a wheel balance, then over $100 on a special wheel balance (called road force) and ended up getting 4 new tires anyway!  So if I keep wasting money like this, why not blow $100 on 5 Raffle tickets?   $20 could turn into a million $$$. 

Just an update.... in 2 days there have been over 150,000 tickets sold.  At this rate, they will be gone by early June as you predicted. 

Thank You.

Some one said on here that if your going to buy tickets don't buy them all to once. I think it had something to do with the way they draw them, but I was not all that clear on this. they said to spread out the purchase of your tickets over a period of time and this Increased your chances of winning, some how.

Any way, why don't you get 1 to start and wait a few days before buying another one, If you feel like It. I don't know If the other person is correct but better safe than sorry.

If you do win you can thank that person that came up with this Idea.

Maybe they work at the lottery or know someone that does.

GOOD LUCKSmile